Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bit of trivia for you, there was originally a playable stretch on the boat beating up thugs. It's why the mother and child thank you for being kind. :eng101:

Not only a playable stretch. The entire second game was supposed to just be the boat journey, in which Smeagol guy survives the final fight with Ryo and sneaks onto the ship for revenge. Hong Kong was gonna be Shenmue 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

topiKal has now played the same minigame in three different LPs. That's got to be some sort of record.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Supersonic Buddha posted:

Oh. Thanks for the dumb idea, Kuvo. I put slightly more effort into this one.

Outstanding :neckbeard:

Kuvo, do you want instructions on how to get the duck racing minigame? You have to do some truly obtuse stuff to unlock it.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

topiKal posted:

I don't know if kuvo responded to this but the answer is yes. Please tell us, we must know.

PMed you about it. There's still a bit of story stuff before it unlocks, though.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Here's a map of all of Wan Chai if you need one for the next recording:

One thing you'll notice about this game is that there is only one kind of business on every street. There's one street that has every barbershop, one street with every electronics shop, one street with like 5 pawnshops all next to each other. It's extremely weird.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

annapacketstormaya posted:

I miss original Shenmue, which had the NPCs say a greater variety of inane things. Now they just say the same four "Pawn shops are in Neighborhood A", "Gambling is in Neighborhood B", "Lucky Hit man needs a clerk", and "I have no idea" or "I know exactly what you need to do to advance the plot".

I miss the assorted "suede-headed Ryo", "let's wrestle mister", and whatever the hell Tom had to say.

Agree. Although this game is still humorous, one of the funniest things about the original Shenmue are the NPCs that just spout nonsense or blow you off in various ways.

"Excuse me."
"EXCUSE ME!"

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Tommy_Blanco posted:

Man, Yu Suzuki was really ahead of his time. He made the first video game to feature an autistic protagonist. Truly groundbreaking. Did Ryo get vaccinated on the boat ride to Hong Kong? I don't remember him being nearly this derby in the first one, other than when he was cruising for sailors.

No, he definitely was in the first one. See any conversation he has with Nozomi.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

You guys probably figure this out in a future video but Fangmei's birthday has nothing to do with getting the duck race. Eileen is by that big fountain by the harbor regardless. I sent Benson instructions by PM.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Takanago posted:

If anybody here is backing the Shenmue Kickstarter, check out the latest poll they sent out to backers. They're asking which Shenmue NPC is people's favorite NPC (to give them some bonus content), and what people's favorite mini-game is. So make sure to tell them to put Tom the Hot Dog guy in there, and to put darts back in.

Much as I love Tom, I'm putting a vote down for my bro Goro. UH YEAH OH YEAH!

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

I THINK A GOOD ONE IS READY TO COME OUT OF THIS CAPSULE TOY MACHINE!

One thing 2 lacks compared to 1 is the funny bit-characters. Comes with making the world bigger and less detailed I guess. That Capsule Toy guy in the Hawaiian shirt is amazing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Delin. Delin Delin Delin Delin Delin. I love him. Don't care what you do with the others.

He teaches you a new move, as well.

• Locked thread