Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Jabor posted:

Trip report: I played world 1, had one banner ad on the title screen and fullscreen ad after finishing the world.

Second session: I get a fullscreen ad before I even started the first level of world two and another one after every single level completed. Yikes.

Game is cute, but I don't feel like I'm past the introductory puzzles yet and I'm not really feeling like continuing.

Well, I'm sto glad you gave it a go, thanks for playing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Artelier posted:

What item is that? I'm asking for...story curiosity purposes >.>

It's the Sommersword, which is obtained at the end of the first book. I don't recall if you need a Crystal Star for it or not, but even if you do it's not hard to bumble into it within the first several pages. Supposedly in the Magnakai series the author overcorrected for it so those books get harder instead if you're still using it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It's the Sommersword, which is obtained at the end of the first book. I don't recall if you need a Crystal Star for it or not, but even if you do it's not hard to bumble into it within the first several pages. Supposedly in the Magnakai series the author overcorrected for it so those books get harder instead if you're still using it.

Negative, you get it at the end of the second book. You don't need the crystal star, the sword is a plot weapon that you are guaranteed to get. There are some encounters later in the magna books that are harder if you use it, but overall the weapon doesn't break the game; the books would be stupidly difficult without it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Negative, you get it at the end of the second book. You don't need the crystal star, the sword is a plot weapon that you are guaranteed to get. There are some encounters later in the magna books that are harder if you use it, but overall the weapon doesn't break the game; the books would be stupidly difficult without it.

Then what's the item in the first book that breaks things?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Then what's the item in the first book that breaks things?

There isn't one, they were mistaken.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Well, I'm sto glad you gave it a go, thanks for playing!

Tried it again while I was offline and got through a bunch more levels, I'm really liking the game now. Probably gonna buy no-ads.

I still think you should give people a little longer to reach the meat of the game before turning the ads up to "you should really buy it now" levels.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
So is Genshin Impact any good? My phone can't run it but I'm kind of thinking of grabbing it for Switch...

Edit: Also how is that new Tales of gacha?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Jabor posted:

Tried it again while I was offline and got through a bunch more levels, I'm really liking the game now. Probably gonna buy no-ads.

I still think you should give people a little longer to reach the meat of the game before turning the ads up to "you should really buy it now" levels.

thanks for this feedback. im adjusting the ad rate and also smoothing the difficulty unevenness of the early levels. thanks again for playing!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Hey mobile players. I recently finished making a game for Android and iOS.

Happy gaming!

I tried this out but was pretty turned off immediately because I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I think push the egg into the thing? If there's a tutorial it's pretty well hidden, if there's not I think something telling me what the objective is would be helpful.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Funktor posted:

So is Genshin Impact any good? My phone can't run it but I'm kind of thinking of grabbing it for Switch...

Genshin has no release date on Switch, yet. It's fun though.

Tales of Crestoria is alright but uh, it is turn based which is..a choice..

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Funktor posted:

It's pretty fun, though you'll hit a wall if you rush it real hard. I personally had a hard time with the controls on the phone, and it obliterates my battery in short order, but ymmv. Switch port isn't done yet; last I'd heard was an early 2021 beta release. Most goons that I'm aware of play exclusively (or at least primarily) on PC.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Mobile genshin is good for refreshing your expeditions and stuff like that but there's better ways to actually play it

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.
My phone can't run it either, but playing it a bit on PS4 and I it really is quite fun and very pretty. It's absurd that a game like that can be played on a cell phone at this point, but I can definitely see that cell gaming is making some really large strides as a platform in the past year or so.

Something like Pascal's Wager shows that occasionally there will be games unique to the platform that are definitely worth playing, even going as far as to say that going out of the way to get/set up a controller just for the experience is entirely worth it. Platform-wise, the stain of Pay2Win will taint a lot of people's viewpoints, but IOS/Android for sure will continue to occasionally have a must-play title or two pop up.

Notably, my favourite digital CCG, Eternal, is celebrating some sort of anniversary with an event where all cards are unlocked for the next week for people to try out new decks/tinker with cards they don't have. I can't shut up about how much I enjoy the game, which is essentially Magic with digital-only touches that couldn't be done/elegantly kept track of in a paper card game, so I just wanted to toss the news of the event out there for people who may not know much about the game.

They have a referral system that doles out some extra packs/theme decks for new players signing up under it, so I'll throw out my link for anyone new who might be interested. The game is exceedingly generous with cards/packs/etc, and I would love to see more people playing because I legit want to see the game continue to thrive.

Seriously, play Eternal.

https://www.direwolfdigital.com/eternal/register/?ref=da7ccd96-a455-449f-a9ad-0418ba0ce97c

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Did they ever nerf Sandstorm Titan or is it still the most stupid overpushed Time card in existence that completely invalidates fliers as a strategy?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Can anyone reccomend me a good "Base Game" ? Like those Mafia Cities/Zombie Base which have unlimited clones on the app store. Is there one which stands out over the rest? Is there any of them which combine that with dumb gacha anime mechanics?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They didn't change the numbers on it, if that's what you're asking.

It doesn't actually see a ton of play though. It doesn't synergize with much, so it only really fits into the "overstatted beefy dudes" midrange piles - a lot of decks these days are built around synergy and would rather play 4-drops that make their other cards better.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

Kyrosiris posted:

Did they ever nerf Sandstorm Titan or is it still the most stupid overpushed Time card in existence that completely invalidates fliers as a strategy?

I don't know how long ago you played, but I'd guess this was pretty early on. Around set 5, they introduced a new format, Expedition, that is a curated set of cards that rotates ~monthly, but is primarily focused on the newest couple of sets with a dash of older cards. There still exists the normal, all cards allowed format (Now called Throne), where Sandstorm is rarely played. Not really a matter of being outstatted or power-creep, but some of that tied in with very efficent removal and some very creative go-wide strategies. Titan was in a recent exped card pool and he popped up in a few decks, particularly because Time got a very beefy 2 drop in a recent expansion pack, but he was far from the dominant force he used to be in something like set one Big Combrei.

Expedition was a big turning point for the game and I think they made a real good decision on how they handled the game at that point. The exped card pool is varied enough that it generally isn't mired in a stale meta, but they also are not afraid to add some cards in to the pool occasionally if a certain period is looking particularly dominated by decks/strategies. I like their reactionary moves to avoid stale formats, which is really another perks of the digital format that Direwolf is unafraid to take advantage of when necessary.

Notably, the expedition pool is also used for 2 packs of the draft format (the other two being most recent set) so even the limited format feeds your card pool at all times, which is a nice little quirk. Also added somewhere in the middle was a monthly sealed league that is fairly popular among the community. Can buy in any time during the month, very generously priced and doles out lots of product and a unique card back every month.

Seriously, though, if you ever had a passing interest in Magic, odds are you will immediately understand and enjoy Eternal. Their design team has notable Magic pros, and you can definitely tell the game is a labour of love. I really can't say enough.

Ryaath
Apr 8, 2003

Yoooo, the Goonswarm+ guild in Shop Titans is looking to replace some inactives. We're a terrible bunch of basement dwelling mouth breathers, analyzing spreadsheets to maximize King Baits and arbitrage the auction house like a fuckin Rockefeller. Come play with us. Post here for invite.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ripostegames.shopr

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I've had eternal downloaded in the past and can log into my account with direwolf, but when I try to download the game to my new phone from google play it hangs on "waiting for download" despite being connected to wifi. Is this a known issue?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I never got into Eternal at all. Mythguard feels a lot better to me. It's got some neat mechanics which separates it from the other hearthstone clones.

Still sad Eldar Scrolls Legends died as that was good also.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Have you tried gwent? It's somewhat similar to elder scrolls in that each player has two "boards." Also the rules are way different than the witcher version

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Have you tried gwent? It's somewhat similar to elder scrolls in that each player has two "boards." Also the rules are way different than the witcher version

I'm not fan of the core gwent mechanic of winning 2 rounds out of 3, it suffers from far more single gotcha cards than Eternal, ES: Legends or Mythgaurd.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is there an Among Us thread and I'm just not seeing it?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

SalTheBard posted:

We don't allow that kind "Among Us"...

Actually I have no clue. I just wanted to make that joke.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

there's one in games

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Actually I was in Games just now doing my task and I didn't see it there, seems sus.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Osmosisch posted:

Actually I was in Games just now doing my task and I didn't see it there, seems sus.

I bet it vented there from Mobile Gaming.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Ryaath posted:

Yoooo, the Goonswarm+ guild in Shop Titans is looking to replace some inactives. We're a terrible bunch of basement dwelling mouth breathers, analyzing spreadsheets to maximize King Baits and arbitrage the auction house like a fuckin Rockefeller. Come play with us. Post here for invite.

I'd like to play along
ElKoss#20748

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Afterbirth Aftermath posted:

I'd like to play along
ElKoss#20748

We will just figure which idle goon to kick and get you an invite soon!

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Afterbirth Aftermath posted:

I'd like to play along
ElKoss#20748

Sent!

I'm still using 7 days idle as a metric for if someone abandons their account, but anyone can feel free to reapply if I made a mistake!

staplegun fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 27, 2020

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

staplegun posted:

Sent!

I'm still using 7 days idle as a metric for if someone abandons their account, but anyone can feel free to reapply if I made a mistake!

Going by this means that we have a possible slot coming up tomorrow as we have someone at 6 days

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If you haven't already kicked Ayliana, feel free to. Good guild, just lost interest in the game treadmill.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ryaath posted:

I'd like to come back, I don't play much but have a large amount of donations so would help the guild out.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Ryaath posted:

I'd like to join if possible: A.Risk#25690

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Valle posted:

I'd like to join if possible: A.Risk#25690

I'm cursed to miss people asking for invites as soon as I take my eyes off the thread, invite sent!

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Buriedbornes checks every box aside from graphics. It's a turn based Dark Souls like game with meta progression and seasonal updates. Shockingly deep mechanic gameplay with lot's of customization.

oh God what have you done to me

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GetDunked posted:

oh God what have you done to me

:sickos:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Since we have a new round of BuriesBornes players:

Here is a Google doc with a poo poo load of info, including a Beginner's Guide.

A thing that was confusing at first but is absolutely vital is the Lab. You find and forge "parts" (think materia or gems) that you slot into your classes to give them bonuses. It is crucial for setting up builds and getting further. Iirc you can pay to get some more convenient functions and cost free equipping and stripping, and doing so removes all ads forever. If you have any interest in the game, I would suggest doing that.

Also, making any purchase kills ads forever I believe

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Every game I play of Buriedbones just goes on for ages. I have a run going now as the Dragoon which rules because of the reflect damage, but I'm level 72 on the 28th floor of the Labyrinth and I've gone through multiple sessions without dying or really encountering any problematic fights at all. I'm sure it'll turn and I'll die out of nowhere to a boss coming up but it feels like a lot of busy work after each fight having to skip the gear pickups and skip the new skill pickups.. I like getting stuff with Frenzy because when runs go this long I prefer playing it almost like an idler. I dunno, I like the game but I feel like I'm missing something. I should prob go through that google doc I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

Every game I play of Buriedbones just goes on for ages. I have a run going now as the Dragoon which rules because of the reflect damage, but I'm level 72 on the 28th floor of the Labyrinth and I've gone through multiple sessions without dying or really encountering any problematic fights at all. I'm sure it'll turn and I'll die out of nowhere to a boss coming up but it feels like a lot of busy work after each fight having to skip the gear pickups and skip the new skill pickups.. I like getting stuff with Frenzy because when runs go this long I prefer playing it almost like an idler. I dunno, I like the game but I feel like I'm missing something. I should prob go through that google doc I suppose.

Go to other dungeons, especially season.