Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes
There is a setting to change tye confirm button to a long press, it helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I just realized that the only "build an unsatisfying base on timers" game that ever held my attention, Empires and Puzzles, has a modern equivalent from the same devs: Puzzle Combat. I remember I got someone in this thread or the previous one hooked on Empires and Puzzles years ago. Kinda like how Merge Mayor is the only merge game that doesn't get exhausting, E&P manages to strike a balance where you can play for free without wanting to kill someone.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Black Griffon posted:

I just realized that the only "build an unsatisfying base on timers" game that ever held my attention, Empires and Puzzles, has a modern equivalent from the same devs: Puzzle Combat. I remember I got someone in this thread or the previous one hooked on Empires and Puzzles years ago. Kinda like how Merge Mayor is the only merge game that doesn't get exhausting, E&P manages to strike a balance where you can play for free without wanting to kill someone.

Is puzzle combat good?

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Black Griffon posted:

I played E&P for a good stretch but having to play with rando guild people got kinda old fast. People seemed okay at first but then COVID hit and some Bad Opinions started appearing and I didn't have the bandwidth for that bullshit. Didn't find any goon presence, sadly. I do kind of miss the combat.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

God, I imagine everyone coming out of the woodwork with forced pubbie guilds, especially if you're in the US. I can understand dipping after that.

fyallm posted:

Is puzzle combat good?

Yeah I guess I just sort of plopped that down like an ad. Having spent some time with it now, it's basically just a reskin down to nearly every detail, but considering I found P&E to be a hoot, that's not necessarily a bad thing. The actually interesting part of the game is the (gacha based) team building and combat. You play match 3 against various monsters and other players, where matching different colors deal damage and charge up hero abilities. Progress can be slow if you're not paying (which I never did with P&E and never plan to with this one), but in the way that you have a phone game you can pick up when you're bored, not in the way that it makes playing pointless.

It's still a gacha game that apes a lot of the aspects of your standard play store whale game though, so if you're not grabbed by the combat and the gameplay framing the combat repels you, it's probably gonna be a dud.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I have been absolutely obsessed with this word game for days now. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noodlecake.knotwords&hl=en_US&gl=US

I can't really explain it, you have to play it for yourself to get it. Here's a little video, might help with the concept. It's like a word scramble crossword thing? I don't know, but it's really clever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErRZ7Grvrco

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Oh ya that game is fantastic. Really enjoy it. Ars Technica did a write up on it too.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
The game is well-made, but I still think it's just a more boring version of crosswords.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I keep seeing ads for Diablo Immortal. Is this going to be a money grab\gacha type thing? The gameplay the ad shows looks like Diablo II style but I don't ever believe what ads show any more.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Trastion posted:

I keep seeing ads for Diablo Immortal. Is this going to be a money grab\gacha type thing? The gameplay the ad shows looks like Diablo II style but I don't ever believe what ads show any more.

Apparently the cash shop is super aggressive (complete this quest? Rewards will be $0.99!) and legendary gems or whatever'll take literal decades to grind without paying.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I'm expecting it to be pretty awful

e: still gonna try it though because we all have phones, right?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

tight aspirations posted:

Apparently the cash shop is super aggressive (complete this quest? Rewards will be $0.99!) and legendary gems or whatever'll take literal decades to grind without paying.

That's disappointing but was expected since its Blizzard.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

tight aspirations posted:

Why the gently caress would any company do that now, when it's been proven over and over that F2P with paid cosmetic stuff works VERY well? Fortnite, LoL, and I'm sure there are like 12 others but those two are huge.

Meanwhile, you never hear anyone not working on the game in question even remotely posit that 'pay to progress' is a good idea.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think because this is a mobile-rear end mobile game (that they're now putting on PC lol) and not a free game that got ported to mobile.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BoldFace posted:

The game is well-made, but I still think it's just a more boring version of crosswords.

I do NYT crossword puzzles from time to time, and I do enjoy it more than this game. But the game is more like sudoku with letters, so it hits different enjoyment centres for me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

explosivo posted:

Yeah I'm expecting it to be pretty awful

e: still gonna try it though because we all have phones, right?

They decided that it's gonna be on PC, too.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why the gently caress would any company do that now, when it's been proven over and over that F2P with paid cosmetic stuff works VERY well? Fortnite, LoL, and I'm sure there are like 12 others but those two are huge.

Meanwhile, you never hear anyone not working on the game in question even remotely posit that 'pay to progress' is a good idea.

Cosmetics only works for good game. If you are just copying a pasting the same rpg over and over again then you need that quick cash until everyone gets bored of the game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shwqa posted:

Cosmetics only works for good game. If you are just copying a pasting the same rpg over and over again then you need that quick cash until everyone gets bored of the game.

Copy and pasting the same game over and over again is, I believe, Blizzards MO with regards to Diablo.

I'd throw down for some skins or whatever if Diablo mobile (Diablobile?) was D2 or D3, but on phones. :shrug:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Copy and pasting the same game over and over again is, I believe, Blizzards MO with regards to Diablo.

They're doing it with Overwatch/2 now too.

What a sad fate for what was once my favorite game developer.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I thought blizzard didn't even make diablo immortal? Wasn't it Chinese company know for making diablolike f2p mobile games?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shwqa posted:

I thought blizzard didn't even make diablo immortal? Wasn't it Chinese company know for making diablolike f2p mobile games?

It's this. Blizzard just licensed their IP onto a shovelware skinner box for a quick buck.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

https://hard-drive.net/mobile-gamer-discovers-16-digit-cheat-code/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

explosivo posted:

I think because this is a mobile-rear end mobile game (that they're now putting on PC lol) and not a free game that got ported to mobile.

Diablo Immortals is also totally not just a reskin of an existing mobile game made by this mobile studio Blizzard's working with and any similarities are a coincidence. Blizzard even said so and if you can't trust Blizzard who can you trust??

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Evil Fluffy posted:

Diablo Immortals is also totally not just a reskin of an existing mobile game made by this mobile studio Blizzard's working with and any similarities are a coincidence. Blizzard even said so and if you can't trust Blizzard who can you trust??

well they must be doing SOMETHING besides just copy-pasting assets
it was literally announced 4 years ago and still hasn't released
unless the studio are just the world's slowest asset flippers

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I suspect that was the original intent but public backlash was so high that they decided to at least vaguely try to make it a real game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anybody playing Dislyte? I just gave this a look and it seems like a pretty good Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes like with anime ladies

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
A lot of people seem to be talking about it in the gacha thread

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks!

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Pawnbarian is out on Android.

A neat rogue like using chess pieces as your movement.

Its a free demo with iap to unlock the entire thing.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I've been trying out Dicey Elementalist, and it's not bad. I wish that Daily Challenge that require the IAP characters would at least let you 'try them out' in that context, though.

Speaking of... the tavern lady just told me that since I've reached Advanced Adventurer, "I have a surprise for you, a new character!"

Am I missing something? I see the same six selectable, and the same ones are locked and unlocked.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Kris xK posted:

Pawnbarian is out on Android.

A neat rogue like using chess pieces as your movement.

Its a free demo with iap to unlock the entire thing.

It looks... I don't even know. Is the tutorial good because I am confused reading the google play page and looking at the pictures

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

fyallm posted:

It looks... I don't even know. Is the tutorial good because I am confused reading the google play page and looking at the pictures

Yeah it's actually pretty simple. You have a deck of "cards" that are all chess pieces, and you draw a hand and can play so many cards. Each one let's you move as if you were that piece, and you use them to attack or position yourself outside of enemy attack areas. You can upgrade cards between floors to add stuff like armor or aoe attacks.

Lol it's loving $7 for the full game so

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 14, 2022

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah it's actually pretty simple. You have a deck of "cards" that are all chess pieces, and you draw a hand and can play so many cards. Each one let's you move as if you were that piece, and you use them to attack or position yourself outside of enemy attack areas. You can upgrade cards between floors to add stuff like armor or aoe attacks.

Lol it's loving $7 for the full game so

LoL with that price tag I'll just skip I guess, but thank you for the explanation, that makes alot more sense

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
If you haven't checked magic survival in a bit they've added a bunch of new items since last I played. The huge boss mobs are also now smaller with less hp, and have a loot table instead of dropping a chest every time. Made it past 30 minutes with a arcane ray based build

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok this is going dumb but is there an actual game for Android that they keep showing in all those ads? The one where you pass through a gate to multiply your army and fight a boss near the end?

It's such a common bait and switch ad I'd actually like to play a game like that.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
Same question but about the one where you have to pull away the room boundaries in order and there's lava or treasure or monsters to get through.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Sorry but only people with 120 iq can play those

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah there's a ton of them but you need access to the Mensa App Store to get them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mirror123 posted:

Same question but about the one where you have to pull away the room boundaries in order and there's lava or treasure or monsters to get through.

These do exist now and they're all ad filled garbage games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
they're also incredibly padded out with junk puzzles, the ones that are actually interesting are few and far between

puzzle design is incredibly important in making something a good puzzle game, and as you can imagine it's one of the things that gets skimped on in lovely cash-grabs