Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

I looked through the first few pages of NMD and was, surprisingly, unable to find any thread about childrens' songs or nursery rhymes. Well, I figured, I had better just start one myself :)

Historically, it's almost impossible to guess the artist for each nursery rhyme but I'll try the best I can. I'll start with one of my favorites:

London Bridge is Falling Down by Some Kid from Denmark, Germany, France, or England

London Bridge is falling down,
Falling down, falling down.
London Bridge is falling down,
My fair lady.

A classic. I'm sure many of you will recognize the first stanza from this widely popular tune. I've got memories from childhood myself about it (not fond, but I won't go into that) and nowadays I find myself wondering... What is the meaning of these lyrics? I've been singing them half my life but only now have I realized how grim they are. Whatever bridge it was, it lives on in our memory even millennia later.

Here are some derivative examples of the song in a contemporary setting:
London Bridge is falling down ~ Kuroshitsuji full version (I recommend skipping to 1:05. The rest is filled with trite anime bullshit and you can't even hear the song but this is the best I could find)
F.R.A.M. - London Bridge (Futuristic Romantic Alternative Medieval? Sorry, it's hard to find any good covers of this song. Frustrating)
London Bridge Is Falling Down from Bimbo Hit TV - Good visual representation.
London Bridge is falling down, My Fair Lady (full with lyrics) Good vocals, but she doesn't seem that "into it" in my opinion.

Anyway, here's another one. I never heard it from anywhere except my grandma. She used to sing it to me as a kid back before grandfather died. If you can help me identify the source that would be wonderful.

Blooming by Unknown?

Flowers in the springtime,
so my heart will bloom.
Flowers in the springtime,
when I'm rid of you.

There are several more verses but they became more violent as she went on so I'll leave those out. Feel free to bring up any of your favorite nursery rhymes, I'm eager to listen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread