Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Vermain posted:

What's the biggest difference you're noticing with one? I'm waiting for the Canadian dollar to not be garbage before I even vaguely considering dropping the money on it.

I also recently purchased one (13HD), and the two biggest things I noticed with it are 1.) drawing directly on the screen with a precise 1:1 ratio between movements and output really makes things easier, and 2.) you can do linework in photoshop that doesn't look like garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Megaspel posted:

I have a 13HD, and I didn't notice too much of a difference to my old intuos. I definitely prefer it but it's not actually made well for the price you pay.

I heavily recommend anyone looking to invest some money into a monitor-tablet to reading Frenden's Reviews, 'cause there are actually a lot of well designed, non-wacom tablets out there now.

The biggest annoyance is probably the fact that Wacom has patented the poo poo out of everything it can, so all non-Wacom devices have battery-powered pens, which can still last long enough that it's not really a major concern.

Don't think Wacom is your only option, they're overpriced to gently caress and back, seriously. They put a propriety cable on the Cintiq 13HD that only they can replace and charge you just under £100 for a loving HDMI, USB and power lead soldered together; it fucks up pretty much immediately and mine is being held together with electrician's tape.

These are all good points. Intuos has a lot of name recognition and milks that for all it's worth in terms of marketing and prices, however in my experience it's been worth it. I have a large Intuos 3 that's approaching around 12 years old now, and it's still going strong - my wife is currently using it on her Windows machine, because I couldn't get the drivers to work properly when I upgraded the OS on my Macbook.

I bought my Cintiq a while back to replace my small Intuos Pen & Touch (the bottomest-of-the-line tablet Wacom offers), so the difference was pretty big. Over the past 10 years, I've worked on Intuos 3, 4, and 5 tablets before I had to downgrade to a Pen & Touch, and for painting there's not a huge difference but inking and doing linework in Photoshop was always a humongous pain in the rear end for me, until I got a Cintiq. For me the cost was worth it, because I am drawing at my computer every day for 8 to 12 hours depending on workload.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

RubricMarine posted:

Hi, I started up drawing again after two months of not drawing due to unsatisfaction with my method, so have some mice I'm drawing for a Mouse Guard campaign. I struggled with coloring beforehand, so this is a slight improvement? Backgrounds next, hopefully.

You picked some nice colors, but I think you could push the contrast a lot more and make them look more interesting. Here's what your image looks like in black and white:

See how everything is mostly the same shade of gray? Try and pick some more colors from the lighter and darker sides of the value scale, it'll make your images a lot more interesting and dynamic.

I started drawing an animal alphabet a couple weeks ago, I'm only up to C so far but it's been fun. Axolotl, Babirusa, and Coatimundi-

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Continuing on with the alphabet (and crossposting from the DDD thread), D is for Diamondback Rattlesnake, Western.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

mutata posted:

when you get good feedback, you can just implement it and your work is all the better!

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Keket posted:

Trying to make a stylized model for some later modeling practice, thoughts on this? Be harsh.

What exactly do you want comments on? There's not much here to critique.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

GreatJob posted:

One last thing thing to try: Work only in grayscale at first, then toss an Overlay layer on top to apply colors afterwards. It simplifies a lot of lighting and focus issues before they spiral out of control. Just keep going, not everything has to be a big piece, you can keep the momentum up by doing sketches and noodling with brushes too. Get your money's worth out of the tablet.

I don't use the overlay trick for colors, but after I get the initial composition worked out I like to create a half transparent layer set to multiply and very roughly draw out the shading over the whole piece. In the end I pick different colors for the shadows and refine them a lot, but that first shadow layer really helps keep me consistent with my light sources. I put an example below so you can see how I plan out my lighting, and how the finished piece turned out.

Also what GreatJob said, draw what makes drawing fun to you, but don't be afraid to try more difficult things because challenge is good.

I am drawing 31 witches this month. Here's the first one.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I like your witch and your lighting technique. Please post more witches as you do them

Thanks! here's yesterday's witch, the prompt was "Urban Witch."

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Vagabond Witch took a hit in quality because it's harder to carve out time for these when it's not the weekend.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Good dog.

Witch 4 of 31 - Garden Witch.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Troposphere posted:

witch guys stuff is real good.

:slick:

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Scribblehatch posted:

And there hasn't been any sexist art in this thread.

You sure about that?

I drew another witch.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

InevitableCheese posted:

I enjoyed your post also.

Also good art :;

I have been a doing the classes on drawabox.com, and I'm getting rather bored with it because I feel like I have more of a natural ability to understand the concept behind the exercises. Should I keep doing these exercises or just start drawing what I want to draw digitally? My main focus is cartooning, and Paul Robertson style pixel art. I feel like cartooning and pixel art are pointless practicing traditionally. Yeah I can practice circles for a month, or I can just have Photoshop do perfect circles and ellipses for me. I just don't know how much to judge my general ability against traditional, atelier art styles. Are these the most important thing ever when wanting to do only cartoons and pixel art? Honestly I just want to be able to draw dogs like Crap does, they're adorable.

Really I'm just confused and angry because my art loving sucks and I really hate wasting time.

There's really no easy way to draw Good Pictures™ without drawing a whole poo poo ton of lovely ones, sorry. Practice is absolutely necessary, for cartoonists or pixel artists as well - even if you plan on using Photoshop's shape tools to do a lot of the hard work for you.

Just because you're going through lessons, though, doesn't mean you can't also take time to draw what you want. If classes are getting boring, take a break and draw something that interests you for a while. Keeping drawing fun for yourself is a very important skill to learn if you want to do anything involving drawing. Also, posting an example of your work will get you more targeted and useful feedback - it could be that you really, truly suck at drawing circles and SHOULD spend several months just practicing ellipses.

shitpostmodern posted:

What program did you use fort this--are those Frenden or Webster brushes, and if so, which ones? I've been looking for a good messy inker that wasn't too anti-aliased and this one looks great. :)

Honestly, I just googled, "Ink photoshop brushes" one day and lucked into this amazing brush in the first free brush pack I downloaded. I stuck my brushes up on dropbox if you want to download them - the one I used for this one is called "Mateus_Nanquim_Viscoso3" and it's towards the bottom of the brush list. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7533911/Mine.abr

gmc9987 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 7, 2016

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I guess this would be a good opportunity to ask what kind of exercises you guys would recommend for a very rough artist? I've been getting random poses from this site and doing rough sketches of them. I've tried to do at least an hour of that every day, though lately I've been slacking off and drawing other stuff I enjoy because frankly its insanely boring. I figured it was a good way to build a better understanding of anatomy though, which is something I'm struggling with.

Posemaniacs isn't as useful as a lot of people think, you only have that one body type and the fact that it's a 3D model means that the muscle deformation and weight balance isn't really 100% accurate. When I was doing a lot of anatomy studies I liked to draw poses from http://www.characterdesigns.com or http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com. Lots of variety in costumes and poses, although the variety in body types is still a bit lacking. You've also probably heard this 100s of times already, but if there's a life drawing group in your area drawing from a live model will get you a lot more experience than drawing from a photo.

Maybe you could try to incorporate the poses you're practicing into a bigger piece? Placing clothing or costumes on the reference poses and turning it into something other than just a Thing You Have To Do could help with the boredom.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Scribblehatch posted:

Having done this, after having heard it many times, I have to say 'not necessarily.' I was surprised by how little it helped. Not as surprised as I was though, when I learned which of my friends had never been to a life drawing thing before in their lives. Really good artists who had only ever studied photos.

Certainly a lot of good artists haven't done much life drawing, and a lot of people don't have access to it. If you're at a point in your art journey where you don't thnk you'll get any benefit out of drawing from non-ideal body types with other artists in the room that's cool, but when a relative beginner says "Hey, I'm struggling with anatomy and my main drawing tool is a CGI poser model with no skin and also I get really bored sitting in front of the computer doing anatomy studies" I think discouraging them to get out and draw from life isn't really doing them any favors. Maybe you had some bad experiences or a bad group or something, but my personal anecdote is that my work improved immensely when I started doing figure drawing 2 to 3 times a month, about 8 years ago. I may not use all the lessons and techniques I learned from them when I'm drawing cartoon penguin concept art for an exercise DVD for 3 year olds but I definitely don't regret any of the time I spent there, either.

EDIT: have some penguin concept art.

gmc9987 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 7, 2016

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

OmanyteJackson posted:

...or should I mention i'm the only person drawing poc in this whole drat thread?

Except that I've been posting drawings of POC for all of October so far?

Here, have another (super lovely) one. I just could not find the time to get this idea working properly today.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

OmanyteJackson posted:

Maybe try:

"Would the character be better served with a different build?"
"If the magic user is supposed to be wise, why not try depicting her as an older woman, here are some references..."
"It looks like the goddess your depicting is from a tropical island, have you considered a darker complexion to make her look more believable?"

Instead of:

"They all look like barbies, draw something else."

Which one sounds more helpful?

these are all saying exactly the same thing as the first one, they sound nicer but in the end a valid critique is a valid critique no matter how politely it's said, and it's the artist's job to deal with it.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

8/10, would be perfect except there's no dick.

I drew some more witches the last few days.

Also maybe this comes as a surprise to some people but it's possible to not actively hate/fear something and still hold opinions that are harmful to that group.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I guess I'll be brave. I drew more witches. The last two days' themes were solar witch and candy witch.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Todays witch prompt was "Pixie Sprite" which I didn't really think was a witch, but what can I do I have to draw what I'm told.

Also TeaMaestro, I think you might benefit from doing some more realistic face studies. Even with the skull photo as a base, your eyes, lips, and nose are all reading very flat - I get the feeling that you're drawing the features and choosing the lines that you do out of habit, rather than a real understanding of the forms underneath and how they would affect which lines you put down. I should also take my own advice because faces are something that I have always struggled with and it shows when i don't spend a lot of time planning out the features and expressions.

I am probably the worst person to be taking advice from when it comes to drawing realistic 3D faces so feel free to defer to the others posting, seems like you've got a lot of advice to choose from.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Space Witch.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Beastmaster Witch

sigma 6 posted:

Do you guys have any favorite tutorials for creating digital concept art?

Usually the OP posts resources in these kinds of threads but I don't see that here.

Photoshop is incredibly powerful and there is staggering amount of information out there. Where do I even begin??

By "concept art" I assume you're talking about the style that lots of video game pre-production art is painted in, sort of painterly and very realistic like this kind of stuff from Bioshock Infinite? Because really, almost any style can be concept art as long as it captures the feel and emotions of the final product (like these wonky but awesome character concept sketches from Dance Central). You'll need to be more specific if you want some help finding tutorials.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

Plan is to eventually have the primary light source in the picture being a ball of fire in her left hand, with the shadowy outline of some kind of creature with glowing red eyes sneaking up behind her on the left of the frame (will probably expand the canvas a bit to the left so that the primary character is centered on the imaginary line dividing the center third of the image from the rightmost third). Also thinking I will change the facial expression slightly to open the mouth and have the jaw slightly droop, and maybe raise the eyebrows and furrow them a bit to indicate surprise.

Nice start! You don't have write a paragraph describing a surprised expression for us all though - just draw it :)

sigma 6 posted:

Also confused about when to photobash or when to paint. Christian Lorenz Scherur makes photobashing look like painting and I would like to be able to seamlessly integrate photos as easily as he does.
Then there is the question of when to paint vs. when to photobash (?)

I can't help you with tutorials but if I had to guess, I would say that lots of these techniques just come down to working on a deadline and needing fast, effective ways to get a certain result. That's where all of my weird digital art habits come from, anyways. Assuming "photobash" means to drop a photo into the middle of a digital painting, he probably does it when it would take a lot longer to paint the thing he needs, and when the quality of the final piece won't be affected.

Anyway, here's a witch.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

A Vodun priestess being mounted by Papa Legba? I like it. :)

Thanks! It's actually Baron Samedi, and I intended him to be more lurking than mounting, but either seems like something he'd be down with.

This is Technology Witch. She can use skype to call her grandkids all by herself and she even knows which little picture on her computer to click to take her to the internet.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Mermaid Witch. If anyone has any better/funnier ideas for the text, let me know and I may update it.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I like Bill Clinton, Mein Eyes!.

I fell a day behind in my inktober/31 witches thing, but here's the last 3 I did - Potion Brewer, Warrior/Knight Witch, and Magical Schoolgirl.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Some more witches from the past few days, some are better than others.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I'm still drawing witches.

Punk Witch and Alchemist:

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Thanks, TeaMaestro and Monolith.

Only 1 witch left after this one, it'll be good to be finished with these and move on to a new project.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
finally done with Inktober witches, and only 3 days into November to boot.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I think I've given up having any drawings done on my NaNo whatever thing, since I just realized I need to get my Christmas card done if I want to get it printed in time to send it out.

I'm open to ideas for the interior text.

gmc9987 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 22, 2016

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Santa would mark you naughty or nice, but he's transcended beyond the simplistic concept of a good/evil binary.

Coloring this guy is going to be fun (difficult).

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Make what you want, but the quality of feedback you're likely to get is inversely proportional to the probability that the image is intended as wank material.

Have an onion being sliced.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Diabetes Forecast posted:

guys I already said that I get this isn't the place. frankly though this site is stuck in it's old ways so it's not suprising. That, however, is in one giant contradiction of things, but no need to stew on the matter.
But honestly, if I were totally sincere and actually wrote down even a quarter of my ideas, I don't make alot of 'fap material', I just make things that are fun to me. What is expected of my work based on a few pieces isn't always the same as the other. I shouldn't have to explain that but that's how things seem to go. This is why people I meet IRL don't have an issue 'getting' my work, because most of the time it's clear when I take a different approach.

It's like if some guy says to you, "You know, I think sheep are really sexy, I want to have sex with a sheep, "and then two days later he comes to you and says, "Hey man, I bought a sheep farm - nothing sexual though, just made good economic sense. Come visit my sheep farm and give me some feedback on all the sheep I am now responsible for, in a purely economic non-sexual sense!"

Likewise every time you post a big titty robot, no matter how non-explicit or innocent it may seem, it's all filtered through the lens of your previous posts of the exact same big titty robot spreading her labia, and your fanart of some weird big-titty-sex-bot-fanfic-tumblr, and all your posts talking about how much you love big titty sex robots and how you don't care who knows you want to gently caress robots with big titties. Like, if you don't want to be known as a big titty robot fucker stop posting big titty robots.

Your inability to understand why we view your postings of innocent big-boobed robots as connected to the sexually explicit big-boobed robots you posted is what creeps people out and makes them assume you are a socially inept creepy person.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Well, one is of a generic person who exists in your head only as "Default Woman Face," and the other is someone you deeply care about and see nearly every day and have reference photos for. I can see why one drawing would turn out better than the other. Getting better also requires working with ideas that inspire you to draw in new and interesting ways.

Edit: After rereading it, that sounded more dickish than I meant it. My main point was that your skills are not really going to be stretched at all by drawing a throw-away non-character right before going to bed. Find another goal to work towards like that pic of your GF and you'll see your skills that you lament losing weren't really lost at all.

gmc9987 fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 1, 2017

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Already looks better!

Anyone else here sad that The Adventure Zone's campaign is nearing its end?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

OmanyteJackson posted:

working on two pieces back to back, any feedback or critique?

Something about the legs in both of them seems off to me. The raised foreshortened leg in the second one isn't totally convincing, and also her foot on that leg looks tiny compared to the other leg.

Turns out that working full time with a newborn in the house doesn't lead to much personal drawing time, but I'm slowly carving some time out for myself again. Maybe one day this drawing will be finished.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
You still haven't touched any of the issues people brought up last time you posted this sketch though, like how ears and hair are going to come directly out of bone - unless you already have a plan for that it might be too early to jump into 3D. Or not, I'm not sure how you work but there are a lot of areas in the sketch that look to me like you just sort of left as is, even though they don't make a whole lot of sense visually.

I drew these for an upcoming app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I am insane and attempting Inktober despite having too much work and too many small babies to take care of to have enough time to do it.