Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

mutata posted:

Do sculpts live in here? Crossposting from the 3DCG thread...
As an environment artist, it's been like forever years since I did a character, so I'm doing one. Most of this is just exercise/for fun since she'll be costumed, but man it's been fun.

I hope so, cus I'd like to see more of that from you! Nice work - I like what's going on with her muscles and that butt indentation when the glutes meet the thigh. (since I peeked at the other thread, I also feel obligated to mention that this body type can exist for women; it's what an athlete who lifts but doesn't cardio excessively, and doesn't diet particularly hard would look like - a female powerlifter or maybe boxer in the heavyweight class might have a similar physique.)

Just found the thread, here's some of my stuff:

beecat

(one day I will revisit this, when I am not so swamped with work)

Part of a Chinese animal Zodiac set I put together, made prints of, and sold at Denver Comic Con this summer

Frown Town fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Saw Danish Girl. Procrastinating/recharging from work tasks that are making me lose my mind. Working on getting likenesses still.. liquify tool is God.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

sigma 6 posted:

This is fantastic!
Can you share some of your workflow? Tips?

Sure! Sadly I flattened many layers so I don't have great visual representation of any of this (maybe will re-visit and put something together when I'm less crunched for time).. I use Photoshop, but same concepts can be used in whatever digital painting program you've got.

Typical/ideal process, if I have a decent idea of what I'm getting myself into (not necessarily the case with this one):
1. Sketch layer - sloppy line work, just to get shapes and compositions in place
2. Underpaint layer, underneath sketch layer - usually pick a darker, more muted version of whatever the midtone of object in question would be
3. Background layer, underneath Underpaint layer - background wash of color, defines stuff like lighting info (Underpaint + BG layers usually happen around the same time
4. Once underpaint/BG feel good, I start basic detailing on a layer above Underpaint layer. That can be any number of layers, including screen/softlight layers for highlights, some multiply/overlay layers for shadows; this is the step where I paint the gently caress out of everything but don't have a very scientific way of describing this process.. Basically I define midtones, highlights, and shadows to create voluminous shapes in some order that makes sense. This is also the part where I'll typically start with a softer round brush, then finish/tighten up/polish with a harder round brush. And I'll merge/flatten a lot here whenever I feel the layers are getting unmanageable.
5. When basic detailing feels good, I may create an additional detail layer for stuff like freckles, eyelashes, etc: usually will hide my sloppy sketch layer at this point or clean it up to become linework
6. If anything is a bit off proportion wise, I may flatten major areas and use Liquify tool to massage stuff into place.. then adjust, clean up, and hand paint in any areas of liquify slop.
7. Finishing/color adjustments/etc any effects that sit on top of everything. I'll usually have a bit of curves and/or contrast adjustments

This stuff happens a bit organically because I rarely have a solid idea of how I want something to look going in, so I may decide to color adjust halfway through, flatten stuff, hide things, nuke things, etc till I have a better idea what I'm going for. I absolutely know there's a more efficient way to work than how I normally do. There's a somewhat crucial step I inevitably seem to skip in personal work, which is thumbnailing to get a decent idea of targets for composition/light source/color choice/etc. I recommend thumbnail sketches if you're trying to complete a finished illustration or get feedback from a client before you really get invested in any one direction - recently I've just been loving around and doodling stuff with the end goal being to just relieve stress and explore ideas without much pressure to create anything cohesive.. but if I were actually practicing a technique, or prepping stuff to sell/taking commissions/etc, I'd approach it more logically and with more process than I typically do in the interest of saving time in the long run.

When I really don't know where I'm going (for sketches and stuff), stuff tends to end up all on one layer and it's a simple round brush all the way to give me the freedom to cut stuff up with lasso tool, liquify, rearrange pieces till I'm happy. If I'm going for a more cel-shaded look, the process gets more clear - I'll have an additional step where I clean up sketch lines/"ink" stuff.. and will block out all colors solidly, then use clipping masks/preserve transparency/etc to shade. When painting, I usually work dark to light.. but that changes when it comes to cel-shaded looks: I will typically work from midtones first, then shadows, then highlights.

Random tips:
-Paint and draw from observation to build a solid foundation for how stuff should look; then painting from imagination becomes much easier. Photo references are a good place to start, but nothing beats painting from life.
-Separate your background and foreground layers!! This is for your future sanity.
-Clipping masks are God if you're working by blocking in solid colors; so is preserve transparency. Great for cel-shaded styles.
-Liquify tool is God for nailing down facial features/tweaking proportions... if you don't mind flattening layers for painting.
-Smudge tool is nice for blending; you can add a bit of scatter to it to make it behave more organically/less obvious that you're smudge tooling stuff
-I use Coolorus plugin for Photoshop, which is a much nicer color wheel (similar to Painter) that has been transformative for my digital painting
-Eyedropper tool is good for blending/picking colors
-Pay attention to lighting and color selection: straight black is not often found in real shadows (usually some off-shoot of blue or whatever, but that depends on the color of the light source) and will muddy/dull a painting; which could be the artist's intent, but something to be aware of if you're going for something more vibrant feeling
-Gradient maps are very handy for bringing grayscale/bw sketch to a colorful thing whose shadows aren't gross and muddied

That's all the general knowledge I can impart off the top of my head. If you have any specific requests, happy to answer them

Frown Town fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 11, 2016

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

I watched the debates and will revisit/finish this one.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Sociopastry posted:

is that what this style of shading is called? I love it.

I LOVE THIS???? THE FACIAL EXPRESSION IS SO GOOD

Thanks. I was feeling bad about gun stuff, and good about Black Panther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

procreate + ipad pro

photoshop.. dusting this one off after like 3-4 years