Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

How do you have sex with robots

I am genuinely curious because like

I'd think the cum would short circuit them or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

hahahahahaha holy gently caress, is robo labia guy actually arguing that we're all prudes because we're not cool with robot sex

because OOOOhhhhh my GOD :allears:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

*puts a gilded frame around the roundest, fattest robot labia*

this is art and y'all are just too prude to understand.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

robot need tiddy because tiddy make my pee pee hard

Art.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

a hole-y ghost posted:

Good enough for me :mrgw:
Started drawing a gloomy merma'am today

this is legitimately the greatest mermaid I have ever seen in my whole life and I love her.

to contribute besides making fun of creepy robot labia guy, here's an old sketchdump of the merfolk I made for what I'm eventually going to make into a Thing

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

are y'all really arguing that puffy robot labia and huge robot titties are on the same artistic level as, say, Saturn Eating His Own Son or the like

because if so, holy poo poo y'all will reach so far to justify your spank art

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

have you ever wanted to rub someone's nose on something like a bad puppy until they get the idea

that's how I feel right now

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

it was

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

probably wanna make a new thread for that- p sure this thread's just for posting art and, apparantly, robot labias.

gonna spam some progress pics in here shortly

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

so I'm trying to draw/design this character- she started as my DnD character and is now working her way into being a part of the book I'm writing.

this is her first design (unfinished, obv, but you see the basic idea here):

buuuut I'm not quite happy with that, so now I'm redesigning her, and also working on being more dynamic in my designs.

she's somewhat based on old westerns, somewhat based on bloodborne. also I don't know how to draw guns.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

rough as gently caress, obv, but does this look a little more realistic?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

dive-shooting.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

okay, I think I understand why it looks wonky now. the way I've got her at present seems to be the moment she's getting ready to jump or running forward to jump. I can work with that. Thank you, that was actually super, super helpful!

e:

Not dive shooting, but she looks a lot more dynamic now. Thank you for the suggestion, that actually helped a buttload.

FluxFaun fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 15, 2017

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You forgot something super important when considering poses, so here, I fixed this for you:

I can hear the comical whomp noise

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

a hole-y ghost posted:

Guess I'll post some updates.

Progress on a picture I posted earlier in the thread:

Not a lot of progress on the "mermaid" but I did start painting the hands and arms:

I really like your painting style. Are you just over painting or what is it you're doing?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

nope, that answers it! I thought it looked similar to oil painting so I'm glad to see I was halfway right.

I'm still trying to find my style of shading digitally. I have two modes, it seems like, where I either do hyper-saturated things like the first Gunslinger drawing or stuff like:

which were done for shirts and are way less saturated then the stuff I tend to do for commission.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thanks. Bonehilda's her own woman.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

if we're talking about tablets, I really like my UGEE M708. I got it to replace my 15 year old bamboo tablet and I'm in love with it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Drivers are available for windows 7-10, Mac, and I'm not sure about Linux. Works well in photoshop and the pen pressure is really good, and the buttons are customizable, which I like. Downsides: not compatible with the current release of Krita, which hurts me to my bones, and the tablet size I got can be a little cramped if you have a dual-monitor display like I do. That said, I still really like it a lot.

Also comes with a really nice pen stand that has replacement nibs in there, which I thought was neat.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I loving loved it. It's basically a less-performance heavy version of Photoshop, with a lot of customizable things. It's also free, which was a huge bonus to poor-as-gently caress me.

https://krita.org/en/

here's the website. I honestly loving adored it, but like I said, the UGEE M708 isn't compatible with the current iteration of it. It's being updated fairly often tho, so hopefully that will change.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

yeah, no worries! It's legitimately my favorite art program and I'm waiting eagerly for the day that my tablet is supported again.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

it's almost like creepy dudes ruin things

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

that looks super cool like that, actually.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a look-see

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

A++++ Motorcycle Monkey

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Why does dragon archer wear fishnets and bootyshorts

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

the_lion posted:

Trying to get better at anatomy. Probably need to practise more.

This is pretty good, but the neck is quite wide and the hips are a little off, though I can't place why. Maybe it's the shading on the foremost leg? For anatomy, I like to just watch a show, pause it, sketch the person real quick (like a minute or so), then continue on until I find another pose to pause and draw.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Superimposition posted:

Been trying to get into art/drawing, any crit would be super appreciated.

Sharpest crayon already gave excellent advice, but I'm just gonna reiterate and say STUDY YOUR ANATOMY. When I first started drawing, I tried to do anime without knowing how anatomy worked and it really showed. I'll dig out my old work from childhood at some point and do a comparison. I never quite understood that I needed to study anatomy/"serious" art stuff if I was just drawing cartoons, but it's incredibly important.

In fairness, here's some of my old work (about 2010), compared to some of my newest work.
I
2010- I hate this so much. So much, I hate it. I was going through a cringey fanservice phase in which I was sure that less clothes= more cool. Yes, I had and still have a love for cowboy-inspired poo poo. Yeehaw. Terrible lines, I obviously don't know how arms work, or legs, or torsos. Just awful and I hate it.

2011- muddy, anatomy's not right, honestly really cringey to look at. Somewhat less terrible to look at than the older stuff. At least she has some clothes on. Still obsessed with western themes. Face is squished in like a pug. I don't know where her eyes are, lines still unsure and terrible. I also don't know how shading, saturation, or backgrounds work. (I still don't know how backgrounds work.)

Better. 2012, a year after I started actually paying attention to anatomy instead of what just "looked cool". Still not great, you can see a lot of problems. At least there's room for organs and eyeballs. Still hate it.

Skipping ahead.

2015- not bad, not great. Still not sure how contrast and shading works. Anatomy is better- there's room for organs and overall it looks like they at least can stand on their own. I don't like this one, but I don't hate it.

2015-Steven Universe happened. This one's also not super terrible- used a lot of reference, and you can tell. Better at understanding how contrast and shading works. this was towards the end of 2015.

2016- not using as many references, because I'd been practicing drawing skeletons for a while. Still coulda used more reference for it, the ribcage is a little off. I actually like this one. Not super proud of it, but it's good enough to sell as a design and has sold fairly well on my shop.

2017, most recent, not finished. But you can tell that while I still struggle with anatomy, I now know generally where things connect and how organs need room.

So practice is key. I'm not a great artist by any means, and I tend to do art on and off more as a hobby/supplementary income when I can. Still references, learning anatomy, shading, contrast, color... it's important. I've still got a lot to learn (like backgrounds), but practice makes perfect. So practice and learn, is what I'm getting at.

Now I'm gonna go crawl in a hole over the shame of my old work. Jesus christ.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I normally post in the animation thread, but my girlfriend and I have been trying out Krita to see if we want to use that to paint our backgrounds.

Here's our test shot that we made. I did the line art and she did the value work.

This is cute as gently caress. Krita's great. I'm so happy the latest iteration works with my tablet again.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

a hole-y ghost posted:

oh yeah and I'm being dumb and lazy and slacking on this picture that I was supposed to get done for Mer May, but for the record I have been working on it a little bit from time to time. Almost done (color should be quick)

I love her.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

those are loving treasures, holy poo poo. I love A CRAP 2 and A poo poo man especially.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

a hole-y ghost posted:

well. think this one's finally done.

I want to frame her and put her on my wall.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Oh hey putting text on image counts as digital art, right?

Art.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

hey quick question

what the gently caress is wrong with widow's spine

deathbot posted:

I've been trying to increase my art practise output this month! One thing a day, even if the thing is just a box. Here's a summary of this week's "Stuff that isn't just a box." Will I ever learn how to integrate backgrounds?? no. the answer is no.

For comparison, here's the same beach monster girl from July last year.

looking good! I'd say just work on defining things a little more- it seems like you're losing the edges of your shapes. the one with the girl in the clouds is the best one out of the lot, imo, because you've done a great job defining her shapes and she reads clearly.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

That's really lovely- my advice would just be to really define the edges of things that need defined- I know that's not great advice on its own, but mainly I mean things like the fingers, which kinda blend into the arm. there's also very harsh black shadows under them, which doesn't really fit what she's going for imo. Tell her to try tinting her shadows next time- brown/red shadows for warm shadows, blue/purple/green shadows for cooler shadows. It'll lend a lot more realism to her shadows.

Other than that, I really like how she's done the skin and hair- they look really nice.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

a dumb thing I'm working on

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

You can change krita's ui to whatever you please. I have mine set up to mimic paint tool sai.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I did a thing!

e: let's try that again, without as much compression. yeesh.

FluxFaun fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 16, 2017

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thank you! :O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

just a fun thing I made since I've been bingewatching all the old magical girl animes I used to love as a kid. I'm gonna color him, but anyone else can too, if you want.