Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
http://catmint-sketchbook.tumblr.com/image/116873080861

I am currently working on improving my lighting/shadow rendering. What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Nude posted:

Looks solid to me. Anything in particular you're trying to improve?

Would like to know if anyone has any advice/opinions about this too. It's a level in a game for context.

Right now I'm mainly trying to practice drawing the eye to the focal point with light & shadow, and rendering solid-looking objects in general. Thanks for taking a look!

Your game level looks good too, but if it were up to me I would make the background a little darker for better contrast. Of course, it could just be my crappy monitor talking.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

loga mira posted:

I'd say you need to work on your hatching but looking at the sketchbook its really the digital medium screwing with you. Did something with the drawing if thats ok here

Using my faux watercolor brush, uh painted the ground green.

Haha, woah! It feels cool and weird to see someone else's interpretation of something I drew. I see what you mean about the hatching now. Thanks!

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

I am trying to improve my handle on anatomy and proportions. Thoughts?

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Oh, lots of activity in this thread since I was here last! Guess I'd better check out all the cool drawings people posted... oh. :smith:

I'm not particularly fond of the mega-titty robots, but it's kind of creepy how like 3 separate posters who all compose their text the exact same way as each other jumped down Colon Semicolon's throat about it at the exact same time.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Arthil posted:

I'll admit that drawn art isn't exactly my thing, but all I've seen the past page or two is you raging until you're red in the face. You can make your point without coming off like an rear end. Yes Colon's stuff is a little odd, but to be perfectly honest you were the only one who seemed to be outright offended or weirded out by the material. Going back several pages you'll also see Scribblehatch has been posting art including a variety of subject matter, and yet you felt like it was appropriate to jump down their throat just because they shared something you didn't like.

This is correct.

Troposphere posted:

maybe, but I'm not trying to win a debate or anything, just voicing my opinion.
there are so many male artists that flood the field with stuff like this and it's exhausting and depressing.

This is unfortunately all too correct, but I think your rage is misplaced at this moment. There are threads on this forum better-suited to this kind of discussion than this one. However, I'm not in disagreement with most of what you've said here. And I'm sorry you had a bad experience with critique in the past. :smith:

I could be wrong here, but perhaps posting art in this thread should be a prerequisite to starting an argument. Couldn't help but notice that the posters who were the sauciest in this discussion were also the ones that haven't posted anything.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Pick posted:

Troposphere actually has art on this very page.

???

The only image files on this page are that achewood panel and Scribblehatch's pizzacutter robot thing. Is there something I'm missing?

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

The issue isn't "You must have a certain skill level to critique others' art", the issue is that some members of the discussion are unwilling to participate on the same level as other members. When somebody posts their art they are opening themselves up to critique. Ideally, critique should be a reciprocal exchange. The discussion is unbalanced otherwise, with the party willing to put their art forward becoming more vulnerable than the other(s).

These both look radical, by the way.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

cubicle gangster posted:

People who make art with the express intent of it being 'sexy' are creepy and i dont/wont respect it. Nudity is fine, admiring form is too, but tits for tits sake is kind of sad.

E: I should add, there's a very big difference between a character that has sex appeal and what I'm talking about.

What is the difference between drawing a character that has sex appeal and "making art with the express intent of it being sexy"? Is the sex appeal only appropriate if it's done by accident somehow? Granted, there absolutely is art out there that is objectifying, lewd, inappropriate, of poor quality/taste, and objectionable for a wide variety of reasons. But I'm having a hard time understanding where exactly you want to draw the line.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Alright, I'll volunteer some more figure drawing. It's not that great but it's the best I can do at this time. Everybody try and post some drawings so it can be a drawing thread again.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Lokee posted:

Going for a 40s-50s retro kind of feel; going to add a set of Looney Toons-esq rings around it when I get home. Thoughts? Love it? Burn it?

e- The cat is not original material, not sure where it's from though. Original.

This is cool! How did you accomplish the texture of it?

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

snucks posted:

WIP hands study/excuse to mess around with PS brushes.

comparison with photo reference:

Making a gif like that sure is a fun way to see all the ways that you hosed up without even realizing it!!

I really like this! Good work. :neckbeard:

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Can I have some posture/ergonomics advice for pen and tablet use? I just started working full-time (using my tablet) in addition to using it at home and the extra hours of use are making me realize that my posture is really, really crap. It's hurting me and probably limiting the level of my work in terms of line quality, etc. I'm pretty sure I've been doing it wrong all this time but I never thought to actually ask until it started to hurt. How do you guys do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Hey, guys! I've been getting into doing a lot of color studies and abstract stuff to help me relax lately. What do you think?