Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Wrong. Avshalom is a gift to this and all threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

wheres its nads

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

That's an excellent tutorial. Please continue to make more as time permits.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

"Speed painting" : do not do it. Just paint well. If you record it, speed up the video. Gestural work is good, doing quick timed study paintings is good, but the concept of "speed painting" is not constructive.

On that note, here's a really good tutorial about digital painting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzCGP6kUvLU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Sorry, it phoneposted reply to a much earlier part of the thread, I didn't realize it was from a few weeks ago.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I love those colors man.

In related news I'm back on my bullshit:

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 24, 2017

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

OmanyteJackson posted:

So I'm finishing up an old piece. Working on the background now but I'm not too confident about the colors. Any suggestions?

I think the colors are fine but if I were you I'd check your values and push toward a more contrasting lighting scheme. As it is now, the figure doesn't stand out from the background enough and the silhouette doesn't read.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

felat posted:

Dicked around on a friend's procreate during lunch break at work, now I need to find 1500$ and get one.

You can get a 1st generation 12.9 inch iPad Pro used for ~$500.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Nice render!!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I use procreate every day, mebbe I can help?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

In Procreate 4 there’s a gesture for selecting multiple layers at a time. Open the layer palette and then swipe each layer to the right. The active layer will be highlighted, and each successive layer will be highlighted slightly less. Then you can transform all layers at once. But you can’t adjust colors or do anything other than move/transform.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Argue posted:

What do you mean by use? If you mean brushes, you can look for Max Ulichney's brushes. They're all good, but the latest one, the watercolor set, is the first to use the new brush engine, and those brushes are wonderful and make nice use of the new color dynamics feature. The gouache set also complements the watercolor set well and happens to contain my favorite pencil for drawing in Procreate.

:same:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Squalid posted:

And what software should we get if we want to be able to do both vector and raster based art? I already have an iPad so I’m trying to find something that works with that

Affinity Designer for iPad.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I got it and laughed pretty hard, op

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

sigma 6 posted:

Oh - I get it ... the joke is how bad anime and manga style is ... ha ha. Troll so funny. *rolleyes*
No the joke is how bad those how-to-draw books are.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

As someone who has made fun of your big booty robots for many years,
:drat:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

- increase the Count to a high number like 7-8
- double your resolution and use Dissolve for the brush blend mode

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

What type of stuff do you want to do? I find procreate elegant but powerful for most things.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

If you want to get really good at drawing cartoon/animation stuff, the Preston Blair book is still the best textbook around. The first edition has the copyrighted characters before they took them out and replaced them with knockoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I've done it in the past but struggled to overcome glare/natural light interference.