Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Deviantart is the biggest art site out there by a huge margin, so it's worth it if you can stomach it, plus it lets you organize your favorites into folders which makes faving things actually useful (the trick is to join a million clubs and not rely on getting noticed on the front page at all, in fact it's better to pretend the front page doesn't exist in general :barf: ). Tumblr is great in my experience since it offers way more customizability without learning how to code or hiring a webmaster or whatever, and the reblogging and messaging system makes networking easy too. It's hard to get noticed there at first though, but things snowball pretty quickly (especially after you get a hang of the tagging system\if you get reblogged by one of the mega popular art tumblrs). Twitter is more of a mixed bag but can work good if you participate in art hashtags (but I think twitter is more for catharsis\howling into the void really). I used to be into conceptart.org but I'm completely done with that site's BS regarding the whole "does this site still exist or not" waffling, plus the userbase seems to think boobygirls are the answer to all art prompts, also they tend to give stock critiques that don't really mean much a lot of the time (work on the anatomy? Read some Loomis-sempai? Gee, thanks.)

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Edited a NWS tag into the title since people are posting robogina and quadboob now I guess.

E: you people made me type that sentence.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I'm going to be honest here the robot furries are a bit much. Its kinda really very weirding a lot of people out. No more.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

There was actually a pretty good discussion going for a little bit but this derail is just looping itself now, it's time to move on.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

tumblr has something crazy like 100 million users so it's not surprising.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Vermain posted:

Does anyone have some good recommendations for digital painting/coloring tutorials? I've gone through the majority of CTRL+Paint's stuff, and while it's good from a technical "this is what everything does" standpoint, I'm still shaky when it comes to the actual application part: what kind of brushes to use, what sort of opacity is best, what blending mode I want, how to best use layers, etc. I'm using Krita, but anything Photoshop-related should do fine too.
There's tons of basic digital painting tutorials on Deviantart, pintrest, tumblr etc. that will go over that.
really the best way to figure all that out is by experimentation, but
layer basics
layer mask tutorial
layer style tutorial
brush tool tutorial
why your painting doesn't look like the cover of ImagineFX

Good old hard round and soft round are all the brushes you really need to start out with, but a directional chalk textured brush of some kind is great for sketching too - download lots of brushpacks and play around with them to find brushes you like.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

The trick is to use a big canvas and use quick, sweeping movements - and have ctrl-z set to a tablet hotkey :v:
Lazy Nezumi is also an awesome smoothing program for PS that helps me a lot with lineart, plus it has perspective tools that are really helpful.
iirc manga studio has smoothing built in as well.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

You know this is the only thread in the two forums i mod that gets reported.

Lets please move on from roboboners.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I never actually post in this thread despite being a digital artist but in the spirit of new beginnings here's some speedpaints and stuff from the past year or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Those skulls are most likely Aztec in origin, but the practice of head binding was common throughout the Americas during pre-colombian times (and in other parts of the world too)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_cranial_deformation

Here's a painting of the practice (Chinook people from the Pacific Northwest in this case). The cradle-board and head wrappings were used to slowly mold the infant's skull.

Also thanks for the compliments everyone.

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 13, 2016