Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hello, friends. Welcome to a tradition unlike any other. It's the

http://www.masters.com/en_US/index.html

This year's Masters is dripping with storylines. Will Bubba Watson repeat? Can Jordan Spieth break through with a major win? Can Rory McIlroy win his 3rd consecutive major and complete the career grand slam by age 25, a feat that even Jack Nicklaus didn't achieve? One person has... but he's not even going to make the cut so let's not focus on him.

Air Times (ET)
Wed: ESPN 3-5pm (Par 3 contest)
Thu/Fri: ESPN 3-7:30pm
Sat: CBS 3-7pm
Sun: CBS 2-7pm

Masters.com has 2 featured groups starting at 12pm on Thu/Fri. They have feeds for Amen Corner starting at 10:45am and holes 15/16 starting at 11:45pm. They also have coverage of the driving range every day starting at 11am.

If you won't be in front of a TV, WatchESPN and the Masters app have streaming.

Marquee Tee Times (Thursday/Friday ET)
9:24 am/ 12:42 pm: Bubba Watson, Justin Rose, Gunn Yang (a)
9:35 am/ 12:53 pm: Adam Scott, Dustin Johnson, Antonio Murdaca (a)
10:41 am/ 1:48 pm: Phil Mickelson, Rory McIlroy, Ryan Moore
1:15 pm/ 9:57 am: Jordan Spieth, Henrik Stenson, Billy Horschel
1:48 pm/ 10:30 am: Tiger Woods, Jamie Donaldson, Jimmy Walker
1:59 pm/ 10:41 am: Jason Day, Sergio Garcia, Rickie Fowler

Odds
Rory McIlroy 11/2
Jordan Spieth 8/1
Bubba Watson 10/1
Jason Day 14/1
Dustin Johnson 16/1
Henrik Stenson 18/1
Phil Mickelson 18/1
Adam Scott 20/1
Jimmy Walker 22/1
Patrick Reed 28/1
Justin Rose 33/1
Matt Kuchar 33/1
Rickie Fowler 33/1
Tiger Woods 33/1

My Top 5 Picks
Rory McIlroy
Jordan Spieth
Jason Day
Jimmy Walker
Matt Kuchar

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

McIlroy
Spieth
Watson
Scott
Mickelson

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

On second thought, if Bubba hears that he's the most disliked player on tour, he might get rattled enough to play poorly: http://espn.go.com/golf/masters15/story/_/id/12598860/pga-tour-secret-survey-data

"_______________ is in a fight in the parking lot. You're not helping him."

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Nice work Josh.

Lets go Jason Day!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

On second thought, if Bubba hears that he's the most disliked player on tour, he might get rattled enough to play poorly: http://espn.go.com/golf/masters15/story/_/id/12598860/pga-tour-secret-survey-data

"_______________ is in a fight in the parking lot. You're not helping him."

I like Bubba almost because of this. Would I get tired of his act if I played with him? Absolutely. But at the same time, the guy wears his heart on his sleeve and seems pretty human. It's pretty refreshing because professional athletes of all kinds seem to mostly be cliche-spewing emotionless robots these days. (I love you hockey but holy gently caress you are the 100% worst offender with that)

Granted, part of that is because the athletes are completely sick of media members asking the same stupid questions over and over, but it's nice to see someone almost abandon the norms and show actual human emotion out there, especially in a sport as stuffy and haughty as the PGA can be.

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
Bubba is cool cause he plays disc golf too. Also because of where he is from, I am pretty sure he went to Milton so he probably enjoys his beers light and in a can.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
Rory
Stenson
Day
Spieth
Walker

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
No Masters OP is complete without the Larry Mize chip shot that made Greg Norman want to kill himself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQa4fbETKU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
gently caress yeah it's Masters week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CukKly2CYlw

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Masters loving owns because two in a row featured Bubba Watson breaking the gently caress out of physics and Angel Cabrera forcing a playoff each with two of the clutchest approach shots you'll ever see in your lives.

E: Context for those that missed the 2013 Masters, Angel was in the last pairing and had to wait for Adam Scott (in the group ahead of him) as Scott hit a gigantic birdie putt in pouring rain to take over the lead with a giant crowd roar. Angel hit that shot to tie him and take it to a playoff.

Bubba's was in a playoff with Louis Oosthuizen and went dead right off the tee, then hit a miracle of miracles to get on the green as Louis missed his putt.

They were two of the best finishes to a golf tournament I've ever seen.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 7, 2015

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Evil_Penguin_v2 posted:

Bubba is cool cause he plays disc golf too. Also because of where he is from, I am pretty sure he went to Milton so he probably enjoys his beers light and in a can.

Bubba also buttons his top button just like Rain Man and Forrest Gump. So there's that.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
J-Day
Speef
Stenson

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

The Masters loving owns because two in a row featured Bubba Watson breaking the gently caress out of physics and Angel Cabrera forcing a playoff each with two of the clutchest approach shots you'll ever see in your lives.

E: Context for those that missed the 2013 Masters, Angel was in the last pairing and had to wait for Adam Scott (in the group ahead of him) as Scott hit a gigantic birdie putt in pouring rain to take over the lead with a giant crowd roar. Angel hit that shot to tie him and take it to a playoff.

Bubba's was in a playoff with Louis Oosthuizen and went dead right off the tee, then hit a miracle of miracles to get on the green as Louis missed his putt.

They were two of the best finishes to a golf tournament I've ever seen.

Those are definitely the best tournament finishes I've ever seen. However, the 2005 Masters is pretty drat close. Tiger up 2 on Dimarco with 2 to play, clutch chips and putts galore, a playoff. Also, the greatest shot I've ever seen: http://youtu.be/vRCjJi_uDp8

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Douchebag posted:

Also, the greatest shot I've ever seen: http://youtu.be/vRCjJi_uDp8

Watching that live and having only been into golf for less than a year, I knew immediately that I had seen something absolutely historic.

And then this video surfaces. I think I might like it even better.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/25137139/watch-tiger-woods-masters-chip-in-2005-from-a-different-angle

Edit - Angel Cabrera making birdie in the rain to force a playoff with Scott? I wish I were half as cold blooded.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 8, 2015

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

Watching that live and having only been into golf for less than a year, I knew immediately that I had seen something absolutely historic.

And then this video surfaces. I think I might like it even better.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/25137139/watch-tiger-woods-masters-chip-in-2005-from-a-different-angle

Verne Lundquist calling that shot adds to its greatness. He also called Jack's birdie putt on 17 at the '86 Masters. He's perfect in those situations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Douchebag posted:

Those are definitely the best tournament finishes I've ever seen. However, the 2005 Masters is pretty drat close. Tiger up 2 on Dimarco with 2 to play, clutch chips and putts galore, a playoff. Also, the greatest shot I've ever seen: http://youtu.be/vRCjJi_uDp8

God drat how did I forget that

That second angle is AMAZING, i've never seen that before :stare:

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DJExile posted:

God drat how did I forget that

That second angle is AMAZING, i've never seen that before :stare:

Im so glad that angle is FINALLY getting around. I've seen it a couple of times before, but it (used) to be impossible to find. Def. the best angle of The Chip

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
What if Tiger wins

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SA2K posted:

What if Tiger wins
It'll be Brett Favre 2.0.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tee times have been posted. Tasty pairings all day long, gg productivity.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

zinc68 posted:

Im so glad that angle is FINALLY getting around. I've seen it a couple of times before, but it (used) to be impossible to find. Def. the best angle of The Chip

It's actually amazing there is a 2nd angle at all. Augusta doesn't have the vast number of cameras some of the standard tournaments have, and there's no cell phone video. That angle is even more enjoyable than the TV angle because you get the people's reactions.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

tigers gonna win baby

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Tiger has as much chance as Jack to win, and it's irritating to hear ESPN continue to fellate a guy that hasn't even made a cut this year. It's not 2004 anymore, other golfers do exist.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

saintonan posted:

Tiger has as much chance as Jack to win, and it's irritating to hear ESPN continue to fellate a guy that hasn't even made a cut this year. It's not 2004 anymore, other golfers do exist.

If you turn off ESPN for everything except the live events themselves, it's infinitely more watchable. I haven't watched SportsCenter, PTI, Around the Horn, whatever "First Take" is called these days, any of that in like 4 years now and I honestly haven't felt like I've missed anything.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I hope Tiger gets within one major of Jack and then fades into obscurity as he ages. Then, in 2029, he surfaces at the British Open a la Tom Watson and has a putt to win on the 18th hole. He misses to fall into a playoff. Then he loses the playoff to a bald man who never does anything else with his career.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

If you turn off ESPN for everything except the live events themselves, it's infinitely more watchable. I haven't watched SportsCenter, PTI, Around the Horn, whatever "First Take" is called these days, any of that in like 4 years now and I honestly haven't felt like I've missed anything.
First Take is awful and only has value in an ironic manner, but PTI is amazing, mostly for Tony Kornheiser.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

saintonan posted:

I don't think you understand how television works. Whether he deserves the eyeballs or not, Tiger coming off the yips to play at Augusta is a huge ratings draw. They'll double their numbers from a Tiger-less Masters, and ESPN is just leeching on that popularity. I can't blame them for pumping gas onto the fire.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

sorry bros tiger's going to engage clutch mode and blast off on you haters

e: serious post, the jason day sergio rickie fowler group has me doing all the phwoars

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 8, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah for better or worse, Tiger = Ratings. He's drat near the only household name that will have more casual viewers tune in.

straight up brolic posted:

e: serious post, the jason day sergio rickie fowler group has me doing all the phwoars

This is gonna loving rule

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Maybe people would care about other golfers if the sports media ever talked about any of them

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DJExile posted:

Yeah for better or worse, Tiger = Ratings. He's drat near the only household name that will have more casual viewers tune in.

McIlroy to for us Brits :)

And also Bradley Neil for me but thats only because I'm from near his hometown

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If Rory can win, completing the career slam, and go into the US Open with a chance for a Rory slam, that will do a lot for his notoriety with the average American.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Tiger is gonna hole his approach shot on the final hole to win and then he's gonna hole a big titty cocktail waitress right there on the 18th green imho

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Tiger is gonna hole his approach shot on the final hole to win and then he's gonna hole a big titty cocktail waitress right there on the 18th green imho
I was going to make a joke about Jason Dufner's wife, but apparently they've filed for divorce.

Actually, I guess that makes it more likely she'd gently caress Tiger.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

I was going to make a joke about Jason Dufner's wife, but apparently they've filed for divorce.

Actually, I guess that makes it more likely she'd gently caress Tiger.

Didn't they just get married last year?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kaddish posted:

Didn't they just get married last year?
May 2012. She's getting $2.5 million. Not bad for 3 years of work.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Really looking forward to hearing a lot of, "COME ON JORDAN" this week, while hoping Spieth wins.

Also, don't forget to keep an eye on our friends over at https://twitter.com/nolayingup for all your hilarious golf commentary needs this weekend.

Also http://nolayingup.com/2015/04/08/2015-masters-preview/

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 8, 2015

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
I have an awesome ice cream sundae, so excited for the par 3 contest!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

May 2012. She's getting $2.5 million. Not bad for 3 years of work.

I don't care if you're Jason Dufner, he still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay outkicked his coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Par 3 contest is on!

• Locked thread