Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ever put some double-sided tape down and found it a goddamn nightmare to remove the liner?

Put a bit of sticky tape on it, with a bit overhanging the edge of the liner. When you pull the tape up, the liner will come with it.

Just discovered this by accident because my box full of old sticky tapes is a mess and feel like this is something I should have worked out on my own thirty years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Phy posted:

There's also this sound effect for children playing that has this distinctive laugh that gets used a lot.

Are you thinking of the laugh at the beginning of this video? (at the Rare logo, not Diddy)
https://youtu.be/Hln2z7MCsUQ

I learned recently that the laugh is EVERYWHERE but first appeared in Diddy Kong Racing.
I thought it was an old one like the various screams.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Feb 17, 2021

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

The red-tailed hawk stock sound is also used for pretty much any high altitude shot of any landscape. It's synonymous with height, basically.

Similarly, this sound is used synonymously with "The north/wilderness."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Ever put some double-sided tape down and found it a goddamn nightmare to remove the liner?

Put a bit of sticky tape on it, with a bit overhanging the edge of the liner. When you pull the tape up, the liner will come with it.

Just discovered this by accident because my box full of old sticky tapes is a mess and feel like this is something I should have worked out on my own thirty years ago.

Also if you accidentally write on a whiteboard with a permanent marker you can 'erase' it by scribbling over it with a non-permanent whiteboard marker and then wiping that away

Sucrose posted:

There's also that one "cat yowl" noise they always throw in whenever there's a tense scene in an alleyway in crime/detective shows.

And there's also a very specific cicada sound effect that is used in Japanese TV + movies which is synonymous with "summer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJe9obkzf7g

It's all part of the cinematic shared language that's developed over a century of production, I wonder if you brought a person forward 100 years and showed them a modern show whether they'd get distracted by all these weird 'random' sounds that get thrown in

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just found out that Anthony Fauci is not, and never has been, the US Surgeon General.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You can also fold and unfold a tiny bit of the end before you stick it down to create a tab that sticks up and is easy to grab later.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Sucrose posted:

Thanks for reminding me of camping in the Adirondacks as a kid. I used to be able to imitate the laughing -> sad crooning sound of a common loon. When we camped near a body of water I could do my fake loon call in the early morning and hear the actual loons respond with the same call, echoing off distant hills. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I was very sad when puberty removed this bug/feature from my vocal cords. I can't do it anymore.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What if someone were to say, punt you in the testicles

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

He'd know by now.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sucrose posted:

Also, the sound of cicadas is used so often to indicate "heat/the summer" in media that I think as a kid I mentally thought that the sun made a sort of sizzling noise sometimes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sucrose posted:

Also, the sound of cicadas is used so often to indicate "heat/the summer" in media that I think as a kid I mentally thought that the sun made a sort of sizzling noise sometimes.

Yeah I grew up in Ireland which has no loud insects, and when I first went to the US in summer I definitely had a "wtf this sounds like TV" moment

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the sound of cicadas and the smell of cut grass are the harbingers of the bad hot times in TX

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Sucrose posted:

I was always near power lines when I heard them in real life so for awhile I thought that's just what power lines did when it was hot.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
TV also doesn't exactly convey how loud and freaky even one cicada is, and how you can barely hear yourself think over them when it's hot sometimes

https://twitter.com/Beabosaur/status/1117286347964858370?s=19

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Are you thinking of the laugh at the beginning of this video? (at the Rare logo, not Diddy)
https://youtu.be/Hln2z7MCsUQ

Yeah that's the one

Regarding the use of cicadas to represent summer in anime, when I watched Evangelion (a couple fuckin decades ago, holy poo poo where does the time go) I was unaware of that trope and how they were using it to show that Japan's climate was turbofucked by the events preceding the show, so instead I associate the droning of cicadas with psychological and emotional trauma!

Get in the goddamn robot, Shinji.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Cicadas can cause permanent hearing damage more easily than you'd think if it's a year where there's a lot of them and you have to be outside for more than an hour or two.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I once had a cicada trapped in a tent with me on a Girl Scout camping trip. It screamed at me for hours and I still have nightmares about him actually being 15 ft tall and eating me while eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhheeeeeing. I get a weird inner ear pain when I hear that noisee.

I had forgotten about all of that until now. loving cicadas.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man it sucks when you have the window open at night and a cicada parks itself right outside. Either lie there listening to it or get up and go outside to chase it away at 3AM.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Honestly on the list of reasons not to move to the US for me it's like
- lovely healthcare,
- lack of fresh varied produce,
-guns,
and
- every 13/17/19 years giant armadas of bugs wake from their slumber to scream at the world and then die

E: fun fact, the eastern seaboard is due for an appearance of the Great Eastern Brood, coming Summer 2021

Failed Imagineer has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Feb 18, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Failed Imagineer posted:

- lovely healthcare,
-guns,
and
- every 13/17/19 years giant armadas of bugs wake from their slumber to scream at the world and then die

Just think of it like a bunch of lovely posters coming off probation and then getting another 13 years on the rapsheet.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Ugh. You all just reminded me that 2021 is a Brood X (17 year) year.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

hawowanlawow posted:

the sound of cicadas and the smell of cut grass are the harbingers of the bad hot times in TX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Km-jtXueTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11l8JRe5F3c

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

TV also doesn't exactly convey how loud and freaky even one cicada is, and how you can barely hear yourself think over them when it's hot sometimes

https://twitter.com/Beabosaur/status/1117286347964858370?s=19

That's just Zorak.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Phy posted:

Yeah that's the one

Regarding the use of cicadas to represent summer in anime, when I watched Evangelion (a couple fuckin decades ago, holy poo poo where does the time go) I was unaware of that trope and how they were using it to show that Japan's climate was turbofucked by the events preceding the show, so instead I associate the droning of cicadas with psychological and emotional trauma!.

Yep. Same here.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Failed Imagineer posted:

- lovely healthcare,
-guns,
and

E: fun fact, the eastern seaboard is due for an appearance of the Great Eastern Brood, coming Summer 2021

Hey!

We have pretty good fresh varied produce.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Failed Imagineer posted:

I prefer to call them the far more :black101: name of Brood X

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Memento posted:

I prefer to call them the far more :black101: name of Brood X

I learned about that name in this thread, it is indeed :black101: enough to outweigh any sympathy for folks on the east coast

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Edit: nvm, I misread that post completely, my bad

Memento has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Feb 19, 2021

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Failed Imagineer posted:

- lovely healthcare,
-guns,
and

Here in CA we've mostly only got the lovely healthcare, but we make up for it by being so unaffordable that service personnel have hour-long commutes or live in their cars or campers parked along the road.

No cicadas here :(

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

One cicada is annoying. Seven thousand cicadas are soothing. And the 17 year thing is a bit misleading because cicadas do not share a calendar and those busters pop out every year to some extent. Any “mass cicada brood emergence apocalypse”, for me, tends to be unnoticeable compared to background noise.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Beachcomber posted:

Here in CA we've mostly only got the lovely healthcare, but we make up for it by being so unaffordable that service personnel have hour-long commutes or live in their cars or campers parked along the road.

No cicadas here :(

And plenty of fresh varied produce!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SLOSifl posted:

One cicada is annoying. Seven thousand cicadas are soothing. And the 17 year thing is a bit misleading because cicadas do not share a calendar and those busters pop out every year to some extent. Any “mass cicada brood emergence apocalypse”, for me, tends to be unnoticeable compared to background noise.

It goes beyond sound around here (west suburbs of Chicago). We aren't talking thousands, but many millions (and possibly billions) of the fuckers. The last time Brood X came out in Chicago, everything was blanketed in cicadas and cicada carcasses. I mean everything. Trees, lawns, sidewalks, roads. They'd rain from tree limbs bouncing off your car as you drive down a road. It was gross, creepy and above all LOUD SO VERY LOUD. Collectively they can hit up to 100 dB.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

It goes beyond sound around here (west suburbs of Chicago). We aren't talking thousands, but many millions (and possibly billions) of the fuckers. The last time Brood X came out in Chicago, everything was blanketed in cicadas and cicada carcasses. I mean everything. Trees, lawns, sidewalks, roads. They'd rain from tree limbs bouncing off your car as you drive down a road. It was gross, creepy and above all LOUD SO VERY LOUD. Collectively they can hit up to 100 dB.

Well, it's happening this summer I think so get ready!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/barry/status/1362520729305112576
A byproduct of the latest Mars landing, but somehow my mind never ingested the fact that we have surface pictures of Venus :aaaaa:
I somehow had it in mind that it just instantly melted landers or something back in the day and that was why we switched to doing flybys.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

A byproduct of the latest Mars landing, but somehow my mind never ingested the fact that we have surface pictures of Venus :aaaaa:
I somehow had it in mind that it just instantly melted landers or something back in the day and that was why we switched to doing flybys.

Look at that draw distance.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Look at that draw distance.

Lex Luthor got there first :tinfoil:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

"The lander had cameras to take pictures of the ground and spring-loaded arms to measure the compressibility of the soil. The quartz camera windows were covered by lens caps that popped off after descent. By mischance Venera 14 measured the compressibility of the lens caps instead, as these had landed in just the place where the probe craned down to measure the soil."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
They could have taken that measurement here on Earth.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

They could have taken that measurement here on Earth.

The Soviets used a Venus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Ages ago I saw a gif of an African American gentleman making a face like "man, I really dunno about that" and someone referred to it as "conceited reaction". I was like, what's conceited about that?

His name. The rapper's name is Conceited.