Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It’s an A‐tier fruit, but I would have never known that if I hadn’t had some right off the tree. I was at a nursery and I bought the tree on the spot.

They fruit is easy enough to find dried, where they’re sometimes called “Chinese dates”, but those just aren’t the same. Nor are the fresh ones when I’ve found them at supermarkets. Those are picked too early.

IMO they’re best like this, mostly brown but not yet drying out.

I don't know if I can accommodate their soil drainage requirement but I'm gonna look into getting one, thanks. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Silver Falcon posted:

Fffffffffffffffuck.

I was just playing Super Mario RPG with a friend. We fought the first boss. His name is Mack. He's as knife.

He's Mack the Knife.

gently caress ME I've played this game a million times how come I never cottoned to that. gently caress.

I just figured out yesterday that the Reznors in Super Mario World are, in fact, named after Trent Reznor. It's "can't believe I just figured it out" because all of the Koopalings are named after musicians too.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

I just figured out yesterday that the Reznors in Super Mario World are, in fact, named after Trent Reznor. It's "can't believe I just figured it out" because all of the Koopalings are named after musicians too.

For a while I thought they were related to the HVAC company since they shoot fire and are over a lava pit. Trent Reznor is the great-grandson of the guy that founded that company.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Memento posted:

It's the Triple J breakfast show, Triple J is the Australian-government funded youth broadcaster here. I've aged out of knowing any of their music but Like a Version is great. I recommend Regina Spektor doing Radiohead's No Surprises, and Denzel Curry doing Bulls on Parade

When Straight Outta Compton came out, they were banned from playing gently caress The Police, and in protest they played Express Yourself nonstop until the government caved. Now they have a sample of gently caress The Police in the intro to their news minute, so they play a little bit of that song on the hour every hour between 6am and 5pm every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwHNeDwp77g

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Nipples posted:

I don't know if I can accommodate their soil drainage requirement but I'm gonna look into getting one, thanks. :tipshat:

I’m not really testing the limits of mine, but I don’t think that jujubes are especially particular about good drainage. It’s just the default recommendation for fruiting plants and usually good to aim for. It’s notable when a plant doesn’t have “well-draining soil” listed. Pears are an example of something that can take wet soil. Cherries comparatively hate having their feet wet, but plenty of them are grown in the Pacific Northwest regardless. Creating a bit of a raised mound and planting on it should be enough unless you get multi‐day standing water.

The bigger issue might be not having enough hot summer weather to fully ripen them.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Shifty Nipples posted:

Be aware that they can be incredibly invasive as they spread rapidly from the roots. Also most will be on a different rootstock so the shoots won't grow good fruit. You will need to grow it in a large container or be very vigilant on preventing the spread.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I just found out that self-tanner simply does not work on some people, and that I appear to be one of them. :( I did not find this out until I had amassed a collection of I don't know how many different self-tanners over several years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Atticus_1354 posted:

Be aware that they can be incredibly invasive as they spread rapidly from the roots. Also most will be on a different rootstock so the shoots won't grow good fruit. You will need to grow it in a large container or be very vigilant on preventing the spread.

I know this is tempting a genie to gently caress with me, but I wish mine would sucker more aggressively so I could graft to them and dig them up for friends.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Atticus_1354 posted:

Be aware that they can be incredibly invasive as they spread rapidly from the roots.

I have a goji berry that came with my house, it's holding a little hill in my backyard together and it's invaded all the way up to the side of the house. I pull goji runners up through the boards of my back deck. I built a raised bed planter open to the ground so the pillbugs and worms that were already in there could get up into it, and every spring I cut goji runners out of it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Silver Falcon posted:

Fffffffffffffffuck.

I was just playing Super Mario RPG with a friend. We fought the first boss. His name is Mack. He's as knife.

He's Mack the Knife.

gently caress ME I've played this game a million times how come I never cottoned to that. gently caress.
Bowyer is both a bow himself and makes arrows

Yaridovich has a spear for a head, named after a traditional Japanese spear

weirdly, the Axem Rangers only wield axes and fly around on an axe-shaped ship rather than being axes

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Bowyer is both a bow himself and makes arrows

Yaridovich has a spear for a head, named after a traditional Japanese spear

weirdly, the Axem Rangers only wield axes and fly around on an axe-shaped ship rather than being axes

They are the AxEm rangers because they want to axe 'em

If they were axes, they'd have to be called the AxIs Rangers and that might not have gone over so well

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is kinda in the spirit of the thread:

The window in my office is about 32 x 32" but doesn't have a screen. I was looking everywhere for an adjustable screen I could pop in there as needed and nothing was the right size. They were all too short but could be extended to about 48".

Hey Inzombiac, just buy one and turn it vertically, you dumbass!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hirayuki posted:

I just found out that self-tanner simply does not work on some people, and that I appear to be one of them. :( I did not find this out until I had amassed a collection of I don't know how many different self-tanners over several years.

I thought self tanner was just a catch-all for various types of food coloring

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

I thought self tanner was just a catch-all for various types of food coloring
They contain a chemical that reacts with surface skin cells and makes you look tan, unless your cells don't respond to that chemical. If I'd like a little color on my legs, I'll have to use what's basically body makeup--or glorified food coloring, yeah.

I also realized that I've never actually tanned naturally from the sun, either. Same deal, apparently: resistant body chemistry. I am doomed to be the whitest white who ever whited.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just load up on carotenoids and turn your self orange. If your short you can be an oompa loompa

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Now I'm wondering how a one-two punch of carotenoids and colloidal silver would look.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hirayuki posted:

Now I'm wondering how a one-two punch of carotenoids and colloidal silver would look.

The change in skin tone from argyria is a lot more pronounced, and from what I understand amounts to a self-inflicted full body tattoo, so I'm guessing the combo still looks grayish blue rather than greenish.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_children_of_Woolpit

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hirayuki posted:

:argh: drat you 13th century England and your lack of photographic science! I'm mildly intrigued and demand satisfaction! Prison for the rolling stones!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shia LeBoof is not "Post Malone".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hirayuki posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Boeuf Calzone

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Carthag Tuek posted:

Boeuf Calzone

Make sure it's cooled down first.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The title of The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute is a play on Francis the Talking Mule

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh god. I've just had another one.

So, here's guitar virtuosos Tommy and Phil Emmanuel, from their 1995 album Terra Firma, when I would have been nine or ten. My mum had this CD, and I've heard it a million times growing up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqe2OI6ohZQ

At 2:34, one of them starts joking about I think their recording equipment or something:
"Sony. The one and only"
"Named after a great bluesman"
"Sony Terry!"
at which the other one just packs up laughing.

I always thought it was just a non sequitur, and they were just talking nonsense. I just found out there's a famous blues musician named Sonny Terry!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No no, you must be mistaken. They're the same person.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

No no, you must be mistaken. They're the same person.

Shia LaBeouf was Pre Malone. Then Malone happened, and now he's Post Malone.

What Malone was, I dare not say.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Someone post Malone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Please don't

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The shiny greasy guy girls date to make their father's angry - now in pop star form!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phy posted:

Shia LaBeouf was Pre Malone. Then Malone happened, and now he's Post Malone.

What Malone was, I dare not say.

Once we find the Peri Malone it should all become clear

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Wait,

Parrafin is kerosene?

What the poo poo

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Jestery posted:

Wait,

Parrafin is kerosene?

What the poo poo

Yup. And you know what else is kerosene? Jet fuel.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
But can paraffin melt RSJs?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jestery posted:

Wait,

Parrafin is kerosene?

What the poo poo

What most of the rest of the world calls “kerosene”, Brits call “paraffin”. It’s a petroleum distillate, heavier than gasoline (petrol) and lighter than diesel fuel.

Outside of Britain, “paraffin” is an artificial wax that is solid at room temperature, used to make candles.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Jun 18, 2021

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

To make it even more confusing, the US also has "paraffin oil", which is a liquid at room temperature and can be used in some kerosene lanterns, but is distinct from kerosene.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh yeah that stuff is complete dogshit.

I think the idea is that it’s less volatile than kerosene and reduces the smell, but it produces oodles of soot and that’s way worse.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh god. I've just had another one.

So, here's guitar virtuosos Tommy and Phil Emmanuel, from their 1995 album Terra Firma, when I would have been nine or ten. My mum had this CD, and I've heard it a million times growing up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqe2OI6ohZQ

At 2:34, one of them starts joking about I think their recording equipment or something:
"Sony. The one and only"
"Named after a great bluesman"
"Sony Terry!"
at which the other one just packs up laughing.

I always thought it was just a non sequitur, and they were just talking nonsense. I just found out there's a famous blues musician named Sonny Terry!

Oh wow that's neato, I listen to this song with my Dad at least once a day. I've heard that song a million times and thought the same thing. Just assumed they were being extra goofy. But I knew about Sonny Terry so I shoulda made the link, whoops.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Meanwhile I just learned that Tommy Emmanuel, the guy I occasionally watch fingerbang an acoustic on YT, has a virtuoso brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Jestery posted:

Wait,

Parrafin is kerosene?

What the poo poo

Sounds like someone just saw the new Technology Connections video on hurricane lamps. (poo poo I Want to Figure Out: how to send info to Alec besides hoping it gets found in a comment...)

I only learned this recently myself (a few months ago?), but it suddenly helped Matilda make a lot more sense (Miss Honey's paraffin stove, which as a child I had to guess ran on wax).