Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Our moon is the fifth biggest moon in the solar system! Behind Ganymede, Titan, Callisto, and Io.

All of which, except for Titan, belong to Jupiter (Titan is a moon of Saturn). We're the only terrestrial planet in our solar system to have a moon as big as ours. Interestingly enough, one of Pluto's moons (Charon) is so big relative to it, that it is considered by many to be a binary system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

DavidAlltheTime posted:

The moon has a molten core.

Holy poo poo. Shouldn't it have a magnetosphere as well?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Looks like one, but crustal in nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field_of_the_Moon

Also, crustal is my new favourite word.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Looks like one, but crustal in nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field_of_the_Moon

Also, crustal is my new favourite word.

Cool...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

KillHour posted:

All of which, except for Titan, belong to Jupiter (Titan is a moon of Saturn). We're the only terrestrial planet in our solar system to have a moon as big as ours. Interestingly enough, one of Pluto's moons (Charon) is so big relative to it, that it is considered by many to be a binary system.

All two-body systems are binary :spergin:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DavidAlltheTime posted:

The moon has a molten core.

Molten outer core, certainly, but the actual core of the Moon is at too high pressure to be liquid.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
NASA says:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlbS-A01VDY

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

All two-body systems are binary :spergin:

The usage being, in this case, that instead of Charon being Pluto's moon, they would both be considered dwarf planets circling each other. Neither is a moon of the other; they're equals.

Also by several metrics, technically the Earth and Moon should be a binary system as well!

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

The usage being, in this case, that instead of Charon being Pluto's moon, they would both be considered dwarf planets circling each other. Neither is a moon of the other; they're equals.

Also by several metrics, technically the Earth and Moon should be a binary system as well!

Astronomy geek here, but the first is basically true, because the center point of mass for Pluto/Charon is between the two of them, the exact point is above each of their respective surfaces. The mass center of the Earth/Moon system is beneath the Earth's surface though. Pretty sure that's the biggest thing preventing the Earth and Moon from being classified as a binary system.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rorac posted:

Astronomy geek here, but the first is basically true, because the center point of mass for Pluto/Charon is between the two of them, the exact point is above each of their respective surfaces. The mass center of the Earth/Moon system is beneath the Earth's surface though. Pretty sure that's the biggest thing preventing the Earth and Moon from being classified as a binary system.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. Pluto and Charon both orbit an empty point in space between them. The Moon orbits the Earth.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FELD1 posted:

I just learned last week that Patrick Swayze has been dead for like 6 years.

It's okay most people missed that happening. It got overshadowed by Kanye interrupting TSwift at the MTV music awards.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Ann B. Davis died in June last year. :smith:

I met her in the San Antonio residence where she lived with a Bishop and his wife while traveling with my church's youth group. She was nice. :unsmith:

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

KillHour posted:

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. Pluto and Charon both orbit an empty point in space between them. The Moon orbits the Earth.

The same is true of the Sun and Jupiter - they both orbit (with respect to each other) a point above the surface of the sun.

Things I just realized.

Thomas Sangster, who plays Jojen Reed on Game of Thrones, also played the drummer kid in Love Actually. He looks exactly the same, so it shouldn't have been surprising, but I think I just didn't realize he was old enough to have played both roles.

On the same note, Pharrell Williams is 42. I always thought he was closer to 30 (and closer to 20 when he collaborated on Drop it Like It's Hot). Dude just doesn't age.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
My wife just found out that the song "I Can't Feel My Face" is not, as I jokingly told her, about a guy with a crappy dentist he keeps going to because she's cute.

Apparently she told her coworkers that's what it was about, they believed her and told their friends and got to the point of getting into heated arguments defending my interpretation. This has been going on for over a month without my knowledge.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Not My Leg posted:

The same is true of the Sun and Jupiter - they both orbit (with respect to each other) a point above the surface of the sun.

Things I just realized.

Thomas Sangster, who plays Jojen Reed on Game of Thrones, also played the drummer kid in Love Actually. He looks exactly the same, so it shouldn't have been surprising, but I think I just didn't realize he was old enough to have played both roles.

On the same note, Pharrell Williams is 42. I always thought he was closer to 30 (and closer to 20 when he collaborated on Drop it Like It's Hot). Dude just doesn't age.

My personal favourite for this is Steve Buscemi in Surf Ninjas.

He was 32.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I had an impressive moment where I only got the joke I had made a few months after when someone explained it to me. I named a character Shay DeGray and it took someone else pointing it out for me to notice this is a pun.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

spectralent posted:

I had an impressive moment where I only got the joke I had made a few months after when someone explained it to me. I named a character Shay DeGray and it took someone else pointing it out for me to notice this is a pun.

I don't get it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't get it.

what if there were 50 Shay DeGrays

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mister Macys posted:

My personal favourite for this is Steve Buscemi in Surf Ninjas.

He was 32.

Do you mean Rob Schneider?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szcboZhB6Yc

:aaaaa:

Korremar
Mar 1, 2010

You are so big!
So absolutely HUGE!

Rolo posted:

No, you're thinking of Bill Murray.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't get it.

Shay DeGray = Shade of Grey.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Speaking of actors in movies, the dude who plays Nux in the new Mad Max movie, Nicholas Hoult? He was the main kid in About A Boy. That certainly puts a new spin on that movie.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rolo posted:

How did I gently caress that up!?!? :doh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Assorted colors.
Assorted chocolates.
Assorted lengths of wire.

A-Sorted.

Not-Sorted.

:aaa:

It was always just a distinct word in my head until yesterday when this sprung unbidden to my mind.
My first thought was Holy poo poo.
My second thought was, whelp I'm gonna have to post in that thread.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I've long known what the expression "hindsight is 20/20" means, but I recently finally connected it to the actual Visual Acuity values 20/20 as used in optics and poo poo. I have awful eyes and know some stuff about glasses because I've worn them since I was seven and was at least aware that 20/20 is considered good eyesight in one of the VA systems, but I somehow hadn't connected these two things.

In my defence, English isn't my first language and we use a different system here in Finland (LogMAR)

a cyborg mug has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Sep 19, 2015

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Trent posted:

Assorted colors.
Assorted chocolates.
Assorted lengths of wire.

A-Sorted.

Not-Sorted.

:aaa:

It was always just a distinct word in my head until yesterday when this sprung unbidden to my mind.
My first thought was Holy poo poo.
My second thought was, whelp I'm gonna have to post in that thread.

Looks like the thread title is paying off!

The a in assorted comes from the latin prefix "ad" which indicates direction or addition to something rather than the greek prefix "an" which means not. The "sort" part comes from the noun version of the word where it means type or kind.

So historically, the word assorted was used to describe the opposite of what you wrote - a collection of things sorted into types.

If you Google <word> etymology, you'll find a lot more detail. Word origins that you figure out on your own are almost 100% of the time completely wrong.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe if you're retarded.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I wasn't watching what thread the video came from and expected John Cena

E: the Arthur theme song is written and performed by Bob Marley's kids

Sponge Baathist has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Sep 19, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The WWE wrestler Yokozuna is Samoan. I always thought he was Hawaiian-Japanese.

Thanks Bombcast.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Frostwerks posted:

Maybe if you're retarded.

So goon word origins are almost 100% wrong then.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

pussy riot police posted:

So goon word origins are almost 100% wrong then.

Read the previous threads.

It's adorable.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I have.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The word "Etymology" comes from the latin word for "poo poo I just made up 30 seconds ago."

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

KillHour posted:

The word "Etymology" comes from the latin word for "poo poo I just made up 30 seconds ago."

Gullible isn't in the dictionary. Really.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I just realized I was pronouncing it "Entymology" the whole time. And I've been following this thread for a looong while.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

Gullible isn't in the dictionary. Really.

Neither is sarcasm. :rolleye:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
For the record there are at least seven or eight different etymological origins behind a- prefixes in English, so if your remarkable breakthrough is related to that prefix you've got an even better-than-usual chance of being wrong as gently caress

Also entomology is a completely different word that already means something else

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I just figured out that entomology is not the study of ants, but of insects in general.

Then I figured out that myrmecology is the study of ants, not fungus.

Because it's mycology which is the study of fungus, not the study of looking at small things, which is microscopy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

KillHour posted:

Neither is sarcasm. :rolleye:

I'm gonna need sources on that as I don't think I believe you.