Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I vaguely remember carcetti wearing it while playing squash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I was also talking about ireland lol

lol I assumed your were maybe Finnish because this forum is just plain hopping with Finns and their strange elven ways.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Phy posted:

Just lol if you don't automatically reverse weird names in your head because damned if you're going to be fooled by the old Alucard trick

You've got to wake up pretty early in the morning to put one over on me, Mr Utarefson, and in fact I'll bet you don't wake up in the morning at all

This has been an instant subconscious instinct for me since I was a kid reading Hardy Boys mysteries, when I felt like a complete chump for being surprised by the revelation that the mysterious Mr. Zemog was actually Mr. Gomez :monocle:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

The treasure in Monkey Island 2 is big whoop (pronounced in a sarcastic way) rather than big whoop (pronounced in a sincere way).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

learnincurve posted:

Just reading a very old novel and god drat I get it now.

“The penny drops” is a shortened version of “the light will come on when the penny drops” - you would put a penny in the meter and the gas lighting would come on.

we have that expression in denmark, where im pretty sure it refers to the coin in a public phone that drops from the little rail when the connection is made, ie. you "got through" to someone

e: fwiw, that can be sourced back to the 1940s:
https://dsn.dk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/marts-1996-pdf.pdf#page=13 (in Danish)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 21:24 on May 6, 2021

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Len posted:

Saia the trucking company?

Yeah. Like it absolutely never came up, but I had that malignant brain-fart factoid tucked away for years ready to trot out and embarrass myself until something clicked just now

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Torquemada posted:

A vacuum of humour and charisma, you’re not missing anything.

Seriously? He’s pretty good as far as stand ups go.

inb4 this gets quoted saying i just figured out people have bad taste or whatever

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Chad Jihad posted:

Yeah. Like it absolutely never came up, but I had that malignant brain-fart factoid tucked away for years ready to trot out and embarrass myself until something clicked just now

Well of course it never came up, Saias real good at never coming up

they're one of our most unreliable daily carriers at work. Love to not show up for their pickups

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

There is some serious product placement in The Wire

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2008-07-25-0807240117-story.html

Underarmour all over these police

I didn't notice it the first time but Kima and uh someone else is rocking that logo

It's also where their headquarters is so that's pretty true to life in the BPD tbh

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

tight aspirations posted:

The treasure in Monkey Island 2 is big whoop (pronounced in a sarcastic way) rather than big whoop (pronounced in a sincere way).

I love that game, and it taught me a lot of American English as a kid.
Some things didn't make sense to me right away, like why the monkey you pick up at some point is what you need to turn a water valve. Well duh, it's a monkey wrench!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Point and Click Logic was something else.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

mng posted:

I love that game, and it taught me a lot of American English as a kid.
Some things didn't make sense to me right away, like why the monkey you pick up at some point is what you need to turn a water valve. Well duh, it's a monkey wrench!

I played Monkey Island 1 as a teenager and as a non-native English speaker I could not figure out the red herring puzzle

There is a troll that asks you for something that "attracts attention, but is of no real importance". You need to bring him a herring, the actual fish, that is red

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

You know, the turn of this conversation made me realize that I've seen a lot of comments on the internet where people whose first language isn't English say "I learned English in part by playing ______" and that is just wild to me, especially in text and/or point-and-click adventures in which fluency (both in the language and in, generally, American culture) is so critical. I'd really love to hear more about it!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Haven't a lot of weebs "learned Japanese" by playing like Japanese girlfriend simulators and such? I can only imagine the vocabulary you pick up is ...specific

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah, I learned a lot of English by playing the very horny text adventures Sex Vixens From Space & Bite of the Sorority Vampires on Commodore 64 when I was like 10-11 lol

e: they're on archive.org!
https://archive.org/details/Bite_of_the_Sorority_Vampires_1988_Free_Spirit_Software

e2: iirc there's a janitor that gets really mad if you try to gently caress him :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Haven't a lot of weebs "learned Japanese" by playing like Japanese girlfriend simulators and such? I can only imagine the vocabulary you pick up is ...specific

Yeah it really kawaiis my uguus.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah, I learned a lot of English by playing the very horny text adventures Sex Vixens From Space & Bite of the Sorority Vampires on Commodore 64 when I was like 10-11 lol

https://archive.org/details/Bite_of_the_Sorority_Vampires_1988_Free_Spirit_Software

e2: iirc there's a janitor that gets really mad if you try to gently caress him :(

Yeah OK never mind the janitor but... am I supposed to gently caress the paper?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

You know, the turn of this conversation made me realize that I've seen a lot of comments on the internet where people whose first language isn't English say "I learned English in part by playing ______" and that is just wild to me, especially in text and/or point-and-click adventures in which fluency (both in the language and in, generally, American culture) is so critical. I'd really love to hear more about it!

I mean a lot of it comes down to having a dictionary and/or an older sibling for the critical stuff, and straight up missing some of the non-critical. Like for the red herring thing I remember asking about it from a friend who I knew had already played the game, and IIRC he had asked either his brother or dad when he encountered it. You encounter something you don't quite understand, you look it up somehow, and now you understand it. And you expand your vocabulary just by seeing what things you recognize are called in a different language. Turns out all games are secretly edutainment

There's also the aspect of being encouraged to study harder at school so you can understand more video games. English was my strongest subject all the way through school (we started in 3rd grade at the time, apparently it's 1st grade in Finland as of 2020) and games definitely played a big part in that

All of this means that when you replay a childhood favorite later it sometimes becomes a series of Things I Can't Believe I Just Figured Out

Also I only had very graphic horny games on my C64 instead of text adventures (Sex Games, look it up because it's hilarious but maybe not at work) so sadly I did not learn a lot of English from those

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah OK never mind the janitor but... am I supposed to gently caress the paper?

rofl i forgot how janky and barebones the command interpreter is

here's to get started:
READ REPORT
W
N (to student newspaper)
OPEN CABINET (or examine, i forgot what i just typed and obvs theres no scrollback)
TAKE CLIPPINGS
READ CLIPPINGS

etc

also make sure to get the garlic in the sorority kitchen

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 14:23 on May 7, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

rofl i forgot how janky and barebones the command interpreter is

here's to get started:
READ REPORT
W
N (to student newspaper)
OPEN CABINET (or examine, i forgot what i just typed and obvs theres no scrollback)
TAKE CLIPPINGS
READ CLIPPINGS

etc

also make sure to get the garlic in the sorority kitchen

Oh no no no I stopped playing at the sexy paper. I have my sexy limits.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I was pretty decent at English long before I started learning at school thanks to Monkey Island and The Simpsons.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

I learned my first English with Monkey Island 2 and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis on the mac. My dad and I started playing together when I was around 5 or 6 years old. I'd sit on his lap and he'd translate everything word by word, sentence by sentence, sometimes looking up things in the dictionary because his English wasn't the best. I fondly remember spending hours and hours like that with him, and it took a few years but the triumph we shared when we beat MI2 is something I'll never forget. When I was 7 or so I started playing the games by myself as well, dictionary in hand, and I remember that I didn't just want to beat them but that I wanted to understand. I knew most of the sequences for the first half of the games because me and my dad had played through them often enough, but the latter parts not so much so it was a puzzle just to understand what was happening. It only got me so far in my understanding of English but it was enough to spark a deep passion for the language (and the language in general.)

Then when I was 7 or so years old I really started practicing. I was way ahead of the English we got in primary school (counting, basic words, my name is, I am x years old, etc, while I was already at basic conversation level) and I remember going on holiday in Wales and being able to talk and play with other kids there fairly well. Still, the language barrier was there because I just didn't have the vocabulary. (One distinct memory is not remembering the word 'bottle' but it being at the tip of my tongue, trying to describe it but not managing to and, exasperated, just finding a bottle and pointing at it.)

It got to a point where English was a hobby of mine. Other kids would collect marbles or whatever, but I would collect words. My mom's best friend noticed and gave me The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe for my (I think 8th or 9th) birthday and I devoured it. I started reading other English books from the library (some way above my level like Stephen King and stuff just because it was the only interesting thing I hadn't read yet) and saved up enough money to buy a beautiful collection of the Narnia books, which is still one of my most prized possessions. I started playing Magic: The Gathering in primary school when all the other kids were just collecting pokemon cards.

It just progressed from there. I never stopped gaming, of course, and I devoured books as fast as I could. Whenever we'd go to France for a couple of weeks each summer I'd bring 5-10 books and finish them before we got home. I was always way ahead of the material we got in school, of which the only interesting of English class was sometimes getting an explanation of syntax or grammar that I knew intuitively but didn't know the rules of. Around the time I started going to secondary school I also started using the internet regularly, which helped. At 19 I decided I wanted to be an English teacher so I went to college for that, had to unlearn a LOT of bad habits as well as the actual rules, flunked out because issues, went to uni at 22ish to get a BA in English language and literature, managed to complete that, and now the work I do is in a completely different field so my degree is fairly useless.

For context, this was the 90s in the Netherlands, so I was already inundated with American culture from TV and movies and stuff.

e:
I miss my dad. Great memories. :unsmith:

Taeke has a new favorite as of 15:40 on May 7, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That's a very dad thing. My dad also helped write up a directory for all our pirated C64 games, I think I have it in a binder somewhere still :allears:

My dad used to buy Mad Magazine regularly before I was born & when I got old enough to read I devoured them. Taught me a ton of English, and more. It was probably pretty unusual for a Danish kid born in the early 1980s to know so much about American 1970s politics. Pretty sure I also knew the plot of basically any major Hollywood film of the previous 3 decades, despite us not being able to afford cinema tickets or a VCR until I was much older lol

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I picked up a lot of Japanese (especially spoken Japanese, which was otherwise extremely hard to come by) from painstakingly playing FFIV and V in Japanese with a couple of dictionaries at my side. I did indeed learn a lot of weird RPG vocabulary, but it worked in my favor when several of the words showed up on the highest level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test many years later. And then I went on to translate video games for SQEX, so a good deal all around.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I didn't get to finish one of the games on my old Amstrad 6128 back in the 80's because the answer to one of the riddles was a line from the US constitution or something, which I guess every kid in the US would have had drilled into them but since I was a dumbass kid in Australia I had no idea what the hell it was. I think I revisited it a decade later or something and it finally clicked and I finally got to finish the game, which was massively anticlimactic after all that time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh yea, homemade age filters are the best. The early Leisure Suit Larry games had a pretty "clever" one. Basically a pop quiz when the game starts about stuff you would only reasonably know if you were born 18+ years before the game was published, I guess no later than around 1965 lol

I don't think it affected the game mechanics or difficulty, just changed how much of the pixely naked ladies was blocked by scenery.

If I hadn't read so much Mad Magazine, Jerry Cotton's Book of Facts would definitely have come in handy. Now you can just look it up on the internet instead of knowing in your heart. No challenge.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Not sure if it counts, but when I was 3 or so (around 1992) my father bought our first home computer. It ran Windows 3.1 and half the preinstalled software was in English for some reason. I was a fiddly kid who liked investigating poo poo so I quickly learned how to use Paint and the couple games we had (and how to change the system's color combination to appeal more to my children tastes, that is: bright red, lime green and yellow, with a dash of cyan). I also could read pretty well by 3.

So my first English words were "File, New, Open, Save, Options".

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I feel like i must have known better at some point in the past, but i'm reading a history of the American indie music scene and i just realized i've been mixing up the Minutemen (Mike Watt) and Minor Threat (Ian MacKaye pre Fugazi) for a long time now.

a kitten has a new favorite as of 16:59 on May 8, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I read a book years ago at this point where a guy named Tamlin gets captured by an evil fairy queen and his girlfriend has to rescue him.

That could not be referencing the ballad of Tam Lin ANY harder, and yet I didn't get it until just now.

MotherFUCKER I am dense.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The reason there are so many jokes about killing lawyers isn't that people have an irrational hatred of lawyers, it's because they used to be jokes about Jews.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Lawyers get a bad rap for a number of reasons. You're gonna need to show your work on that one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fizzymercury posted:

Lawyers get a bad rap for a number of reasons. You're gonna need to show your work on that one.

Yeah if that was the case they'd probably use bankers or money lenders instead of lawyers

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Moderna -> ModeRNA -> mRNA

(and 'modern')

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

My English teacher in primary school were definitely Leisure Suit Larry and Hero Quests 1-2, and later anything from LucasArts and Sierra I could get my hands on. Unfortunately the MAD Magazine here was fully translated; mostly competently, but still unfortunately translated.

I actually bought the "All MAD Magazines ever"-DVD because I wanted to re-read them in the original language.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Grumio posted:

Moderna -> ModeRNA -> mRNA

(and 'modern')

I looked it up because I didn't believe that this is actually what it is (because I figured they were an older company, which was wrong) and

quote:

Within several months, Rossi, Langer, Afeyan, and another physician-researcher at Harvard formed the firm Moderna — a new word combining modified and RNA.

Close, and honestly "modern" makes more sense. I kinda hate it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hirayuki posted:

And then I went on to translate video games for SQEX, so a good deal all around.
what the gently caress how many square enix translation goons are there

unless you're the one that did the Dragon Quest 3 GBC port/DQ Monsters 1+2 and you got a name change

Seriously, there couldn't have been that many translators to begin with!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The forums have a dark mode and Bi pride colors are represented when someone quotes you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

M'RNA

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MariusLecter posted:

The forums have a dark mode and Bi pride colors are represented when someone quotes you.

yeah the new pink is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's Magenta