Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

After listening to this song approximately 1,000 times over the past year, I finally realized that Side Pony by Lake Street Dive isn't just about the exuberant and classically carefree hairstyle, but about having a dude on the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlEGalPJm7Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My wife once mistakenly bought tickets for us to see Source Code thinking it was the Social Network. It was an acute case of stuff you can't believe you just figured out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It was okay.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Carthaginians were descendants of the Phoenicians, who were so named by the Mycenean Greeks not for their resemblance to the mythological bird but for their purple dyes. You would have pronounced phoenix like POH-nee-kay in Ancient Greek, which became the eventual namesake of the Punic Wars between Rome and Carthage in the 3rd Century AD.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

Speaking of the Mediterranean, it took a while for it to sink in just how much the greeks colonized the black sea. The golden fleece was in crimea, mithradates was from the black sea, etc.

One of the longest surviving Hellenistic kingdoms was in freakin' Afghanistan!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Super hot take incoming but while yes words and their usage change over time, words also convey meaning, and the battle over how words can or should be used is a really important one that has deep historical, political and social ramifications beyond somebody on the internet getting mad about "irregardless." And it's a battle that has to be taught and reinforced in some way by our educational institutions so that the definitions we prefer are ones people become accustomed to using. So while I'm not a prescriptivist I also don't think it's smart to be completely iconoclastic about language either, since most of us would agree that certain words can or should have an irreducible significance in addition to the ones we'd like to change or reclaim.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s a battle that’s like 95% rooted in race/classism though.

Maybe but you kind of ignore these semantic battles at your own peril, it's called "framing the debate" and racists and classists are really good at sounding like they're making common sense arguments because they've already defined terms like "welfare" to mean A Bad Thing instead of what the word literally means.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

After 35 years on earth I just realized that they're called irrational numbers because they cannot be expressed as the ratio between any two integers, not because they're wilin' out with the endlessly repeating digits.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You'll know it's a Police track when they repeat the song's title about 47 times in the outro.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Transubstantiation is such a wild concept to me. Like if you're a true practicing Catholic you 100% have to believe that bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ when receiving communion. No metaphors or anything, that is actual Catholic doctrine, no way around it! Very metal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

When I graduated from college people told me there was no future in the Humanities, but fortunately for me nobody knows how to write anymore so if you're a halfway decent editor you can make a good career out of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

gleebster posted:

Stop trying to make the Finnish language make sense.

I can see you're not a yesterday grouse's son!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Now I'm wondering how a one-two punch of carotenoids and colloidal silver would look.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

I always figured it was a Zeno's paradox type of deal

I guarantee that if you watch a pot of water over a hot stove, it will inevitably start to boil.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Freudian posted:

This entire time I thought Philadelphia (1993) was about the Philadelphia experiment. It is not.

It actually was, that's what Bruce Springsteen was referencing when he said "I was unrecognizable to myself."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think it was the track that made me realize "just because like 90% of my friends really like listening to something, and it going gangbusters on the charts, doesn't mean a song can't be objectively really really really boring."

I feel like people only just figured out that Maroon 5 sucked in like 2019 when I've been proudly hating Adam Levine's horrible screech-like voice and dumb pouty face since 2003.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

is

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Eels and Eliot Smith I could kinda see, but Death Cab and the Decemberists sound nothing alike.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Starting to feel like Mary is just somebody's OC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I remember the part where a teenage Augustine and his friends stole some from fruit from a tree and he later felt ashamed over how gay that was.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Opposite points on the Earth's surface are called antipodes because they come from the Greek words "anti" (opposite) and "podes" (feet), aka people whose feet are oriented on the opposite direction from ours. It's widely known that the ancient Greeks and Romans knew the planet was spherical, but the term "antipodes" also shows up on many medieval maps to denote some theoretical landmass below the equator, showing that this knowledge was not somehow "lost" during the Middle Ages either, as many people still believe.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The thing I just figured out wasn't that ancient peoples knew the world was round, in case that wasn't clear. It was that the geographical concept of "antipodes" came from this creative and rather sophisticated classical understanding of the world.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Grinder is a common term for a sub in New England, so I'll take Rob Halford at his word and conclude that the man just wanted a sandwich.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can just gently pull apart cream cheese packets instead of messily ripping them open from one side like a savage.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Guinea was commonly used as a slur against Italians from Southern Italy + Sicily, who often had a darker complexion than people from the North (hence they were "black").

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Torquemada posted:

“Now if that’s a fact, tell me: am I lying?”

lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think he means the kids died before their wish even got there, assuming wishes travel at the speed of light.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wow that lyric is significantly worse for knowing that, lol.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Relatively Easy is the final track from Jason Isbell's 2013 album Southeastern. Isbell is an incredibly talented lyricist but there's one verse from the song that I think I interpreted wrong until very recently:

quote:

Is your brother on a church kick?
Seems like just a different kind of dope sick
Better off to teach a dog a card trick
Than try to have a point and make it clear

I've always read the "better off to teach a dog a card trick" line as it just being generally hard to hold a conversation with Jesus freaks when they're high on God or whatever. But now I think the actual meaning of the lyric is far more scathing: Isbell is still talking about the brother in that line, comparing his recent conversion to a trained animal that can perform a circus trick for peanuts rather than actually think for himself. It's pretty brutal when read that way and more in line with the general vibe of the song.

Anyway go listen to Southeastern by Jason Isbell it's a great album!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Both the singular-r and double-r are valid in English, but single-r is only used for the noun form.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Look, if we start relitigating how words should be spelled in English, written language will cease to hold any meaning.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm not usually big on prescriptivism because ultimately if a word gets mispronounced long enough, it'll just become the new word and people will be none the wiser (see "what" vs Old English "hwat"). But the one that actually bothers me is when people use "ambivalent" to mean "apathetic" or impassive. That's because ambivalent actually means "strong feelings in opposition," which is difficult to communicate in a single word while there are many ways in English to say you don't care.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Len posted:

Am I missing something?

Because that still works for "I can't make a decision either way, I've got feelings on both" doesn't it?

Being either ambivalent or apathetic can make you feel indecisive, but it's the way in which you arrive at that state that defines their individual meanings. Ambivalent literally means "strong (feelings) on all sides," which implies that your thoughts are clashing with each other, whereas apathetic signifies impassivity or a lack of emotion.

Ambivalent is a cool word to me because we don't really have many ways in English to describe a state of highly mixed emotions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The phrase is actually "just deserts" and not "just desserts." I'm still gonna keep writing desserts, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Fastball is one of those classic one-hit wonders that isn't actually a one-hit wonder, since Out of My Head was also a pretty big single.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In 2019 when that form of TikTok was emerging they originally had titles more like POV: I'm your boyfriend but over time they just became shortened to POV Boyfriend even though that would mean it was coming from their point of view and not yours.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The phrase "parting shot" originates from a technique known as the Parthian Shot in ancient warfare where mounted archers would spin back 180 degrees to fire on their horses, instead of just being an idiom of its own creation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The joke is that you think you will see me, but haha, I have seen you first. That's all there is to it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"Call me fish" - Whale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think it's really tedious when people mock whatever their vision of no-culture white American food is (which is usually just whatever poor people have available to them) yet in the same breath espouse the glories of the $12 taco.