Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
So this is the thread about etymology right? I was studying the history of studying history:
Back in the day, studying ancient history was all Bible all the time. Everybody looking for that one ark. Or that one other ark. Egypt got popular thanks to the whole Exodus thing, but there was a group that was getting tired of the Moses, Moses, Moses all the time and started to look into the actual history of Egypt, well, when they weren’t robbing graves and turning mummies into paint of course.
Enter Sir Fulton Roberts-Reed, a British scholar who took a particular interest in the ancient gods of Egypt. He was the one who brought the God of the underworld and star of his own Wii game, Anubis, and Horus Birdman, attorney of the afterlife into the public consciousness in Europe.
He was releasing stories he claimed were translated from hieroglyphics, often involving interactions that would make Zeus blush, but people were really starting to question the veracity of these tales, with questions like “Bastet and Sekhmet? Aren’t these two cat-girl-gods sisters? Why are you describing their doubly, maybe triply unchristian acts in such detail FULTON?” and “Why don’t any of your translations ever include Isis, the human looking one FULTON?”
To his dying day he denied his “translations” were falsified or that they were inappropriate. He had built a following around himself and the animal-headed gods over the years, and they granted themselves the rather pretentious title of “anthropomorphism apologists”, or anthropologists for short.

Real talk, there's a story about shenanigans involving dyeing beer red so Sekhmet gets drunk thinking she's slurping up the blood of humanity so she doesn't actually kill everybody, oops! And she also got turned into a cow this one time? Do I smell wacky sitcom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Was that an attempt at a joke? Because anthropos is ‘humans/human beings’ and logia is ‘study’ so it’s just the study of human beings.

Holy poo poo you regged one day before me!

So you should know it's a godsdamn attempt at a joke

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Usually they’re funny.

...yeah, agreed, hence leaving the "attempt" qualifier in there. But "you miss all the shots you don't take" and all.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Ommin posted:

Wait, are you singing mixolydian scales or something?

Nice hat reference

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

I tried to eat a chicken tender once.

He protested, "No! I need to tend to these chickens!"

I appreciated his dedication and let him be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Ommin posted:

Is this legit? I have never heard it this way in any form, only ever spelled out. But I am also just finding out that it was the name of a car first, so gently caress me, I don't know poo poo. :shrug:

Did not know Oldsmobile was literally named after a guy named Olds. And he also did Daytona in the late 1800's.

His name is REO and he races on the sand, just lost a rivet twisting through a dusty land