Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Have you people seriously never heard of Urban Dictionary? Just look that poo poo up. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

In a sub-forum full of trolls, "suck my dick, haters" rarely fails to fit the context. v:ironicat:v

That was more aimed at the people that said "I have no idea what this stands for" than the people who said "I assumed it stood for this."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

QuelleFuck posted:

When I was a kid, my much older cousin told my younger brother and younger cousin (they were the only family members really into video games) that they could always just google "(whatever game) faq" to find cheat codes and so on. The kicker was that he told them "FAQ" was pronounced "fahkyoo."

You had Google when you were a kid? gently caress, I'm old.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Besesoth posted:

Don't forget Webcrawler and AltaVista! :v: And if you were really with it, you used Metacrawler, which searched all of them and returned the "best" results.

According to Wikipedia, Google didn't even exist until after I turned 18. :corsair:

It was AltaVista for me. They were the future, man.

http://sixrevisions.com/web_design/popular-search-engines-in-the-90s-then-and-now/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gentle pete posted:

Rilo Kiley and Riley Kilo are not the same people.

At first I read this and thought you were saying they were. And I was really goddamn confused.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rolo posted:

It isn't kicks?!

Assuming we're talking about "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas, yes. It's "Those kicks were fast as lightning."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhUkGIsKvn0

KillHour has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Sep 3, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

More importantly, I just learned that corn is a cereal. :psyduck:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

XMNN posted:

It's true.

The military guy from Jurassic World that wanted to use the dinosaurs as weapons is Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket.

I never watched it, but dinosaurs would make terrible weapons.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Our moon is the fifth biggest moon in the solar system! Behind Ganymede, Titan, Callisto, and Io.

All of which, except for Titan, belong to Jupiter (Titan is a moon of Saturn). We're the only terrestrial planet in our solar system to have a moon as big as ours. Interestingly enough, one of Pluto's moons (Charon) is so big relative to it, that it is considered by many to be a binary system.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rorac posted:

Astronomy geek here, but the first is basically true, because the center point of mass for Pluto/Charon is between the two of them, the exact point is above each of their respective surfaces. The mass center of the Earth/Moon system is beneath the Earth's surface though. Pretty sure that's the biggest thing preventing the Earth and Moon from being classified as a binary system.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. Pluto and Charon both orbit an empty point in space between them. The Moon orbits the Earth.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The word "Etymology" comes from the latin word for "poo poo I just made up 30 seconds ago."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

Gullible isn't in the dictionary. Really.

Neither is sarcasm. :rolleye:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It's fine. You'd be kindof weird if you did think it was a comedy forum to be honest.

It's comedy in the sense that we all hate ourselves so we make fun of everyone (including ourselves) to feel better.

In other words, it's only funny to us and just sad to everyone else.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

andipossess posted:

Telephony is not pronounced tele-phony but rather te-LEH-fuh-nee. It's also apparently a real word and not just a bad pun. I was misled by an episode (called "Telephonies") of, uh... something.

People know how to use Google. We all know you watch The Powerpuff Girls. And now that you're embarrassed about it.

Don't be. It's a good show.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I was watching a clip of Nicholas Cage in Wicker Man and he pronounces quixotically "quee-zotically". You never hear it out loud, but I always read it "keehotically", like you say Don Quixote. The dictionary sides with Nicholas Cage.

Kind of. It's more like "Quik-sahtik-al-ly."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rock rock posted:

It's old I know, but it's a favourite fun fact of mine...
Corn refers to any cereal.

That's a British thing. Along the same lines, I learned recently that calling athletic/casual shoes "sneakers" is not common outside of my relatively small geographic area. I thought everyone called them that. :psyduck:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUaMzsNKR7Q

Speaking of regional things, I just found out that a Witch Window is sometihng that pretty much only exists in Vermont:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_window

I've lived hear almost my whole life, so I guess I just assumed it was a common thing elsewhere.

You need to explain this loving thing to me. What the hell?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

Continuing regionalchat, I just found out that Fluffernutter sandwiches are apparently only a thing in New England, even though you can totally buy Fluff in other parts of the country

That's because they're gross.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Australian English too as far as I know, and that's where Tiggum's from I think. :shrug:

I didn't just figure this out, but it took me a while to realise that "arse" was a thing, and the proper spelling in Brit English. I saw "rear end" written first because of American cultural osmosis and assumed only pronunciation was different.

I like the fanny/fanny dichotomy myself.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

It's definitely worth a try, my vibrator back massager has relieved a lot of pain in my back and even helps with cramps, stomachaches and headaches. For back pain it's better if you can get someone else to hold it on you, though, so you're not having to contort yourself. A heat pad might also help those muscles relax.

Better yet, get a massage!

"Can you hold this totally-not-a-vibrator against me for a minute?"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds more like a gelato flavor.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tendai posted:

Apparently "Netflix and chill" means "staying home and loving."

I just thought people were meaning they wanted to stay home and watch TV or whatever, I couldn't figure out why the gently caress anyone needed a special term for that.

To be fair, I actually like cuddling up for a good Netflix session. I mean, it will probably still end in loving, but that's incidental.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There was an age where you were both playing with action figures and having sex?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe I was just a huge loser, but when I was 14, me and my friends were playing grand theft auto and downloading pictures of tits on a lovely dial up internet connection. I don't recall action figures or sex at that age. I know it happens, but it can't be that common.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Mentalizer posted:

Sure, if you were an altar boy.

:stoke:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Davinci posted:

Do people seriously think its weird to drink milk with dinner? What the gently caress? What the for real actual gently caress?

No, but it's also not weird not to.

I would say if anything, it's weird to drink the same thing with dinner every night (except water, I suppose). Or if not weird, just boring. I can't imagine having milk with, say bouillabaisse. Or sushi. I suppose if you only ever ate meatloaf and stew and Mac and cheese for dinner, it would be fine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

You are talking about whats boring?!

Do I have a reputation for being particularly boring? :confused:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

It took me forever to realize that "matinee", in reference to theater showings or whatever, is the same as the French word, because nobody pronounces it or spells it right.

How the gently caress are people pronouncing it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Yeah it's really not that different, the only change is that the last syllable goes from "voo" to "vuu", and the first syllable sounds like you're taking a bite out of an apple. It's not a big deal or anything, it just always sounds "off" to me.

The problem is that most native English speakers cannot make the proper sounds for those words. It's the closest we can do without years of practice. When you add that to the fact that native English speakers have a MUCH wider variety of accents than native French speakers (and the fact that we have a poo poo ton of loan words with weird and non standard rules), you'll understand why we aren't very precise about proper pronunciation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-en-iDeZEE

KillHour has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Jan 18, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

On va camping sur la weekend et on va mange les hamburgers et les hotdogs.

It's the best excuse I got. v:shobon:v

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Excuse me that's Quebec French. Ontario French has the decency to comprise 75% of our linguistic makeup with English words.

I learned everything I need to know about Canada from Mike Myers and The Trailer Park Boys.

syscall girl posted:

And yes, you pronounce it like pallet.

I've only ever heard people from the UK do this. In the US, it's pronounced like it is in French.

KillHour has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Jan 18, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If we lost our loofa attachment, where do we go to get a new one?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if it counts, but :siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: excitedly came up to me (with a :haw: face) when she got home to inform me that, holy poo poo, that Something Awful forum I post on is "That Jeff K website! I read that when I first got the internet!"

And unlike her, you never grew up. :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Do you live in Buffalo or is that somehow a common occurrence?

I'm starting to realize how many goons live in Buffalo. (It's a lot, apparently) :psyduck:

Edit: I have to know now. Which magic stores? So I can go make fun of them. And probably waste more money on magic.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wait, what's wrong with city hall? It's a fantastic example of late 20's/early 30's art deco. I mean, I'll give you that our flag is poo poo. But c'mon; look at this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

Everdraed is name you want to see pop up in a mediocre photoshop thread.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dialects_and_varieties

Holy crap. This is why my Spanish teacher couldn't pronounce "th", but my Mexican girlfriend has no issue. :aaaaa:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Red Ryder posted:

That's correct, the Spanish lisp pronounces z's and soft c's like the english th, though not all Spaniards have that accent. Latin American accents don't have this sound. I'm not sure what the person you were quoting was trying to say, but it's certainly possible for a Mexican to pronounce the sound especially if they speak English.

My girlfriend is from a part of Mexico where they speak spaniard style, while my spanish teacher was from a different part of Mexico.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

hogmartin posted:

*bananas are not a shellfish I think?

I can confirm that I hate bananas just as much as you, but am quite fond of shellfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Look up scallop eyes. Sorry to ruin them for you.