Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I just figured out that entomology is not the study of ants, but of insects in general.

Then I figured out that myrmecology is the study of ants, not fungus.

Because it's mycology which is the study of fungus, not the study of looking at small things, which is microscopy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
If you want to make someone feel stupid:
"Uh, wages have been falling for 40 years."

If you want to politely point out an oversight:
"Er, wages have been falling for 40 years."

It turns out that the second version started out as just the British spelling, and Er was pronounced with a soft r, like Uh. After seeing it in print, people sometimes say "Er."

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Not My Leg posted:

I just figured out I'm not in the Star Trek thread in TVIV.

It kind of is, maybe (okay, not really but a tenuous connection is better than most of these). "Pet peeve" is a combination of "pet" meaning "especially cherished" with "peeve." That meaning of "pet" comes from "pet" meaning "tamed animal."

The origin of "pet" meaning "tamed animal" is unknown, but it was originally a term used only in Scotland and Northern England and was "probably associated with or influenced by petty" according to Etymology Online.

And in French, petard, meaning explosion, was probably associated with pet, meaning fart.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Helith posted:

Up until yesterday I secretly believed that David Bowie was eternal and that he would continue to pop up every decade or so with a new look and an album of songs for us to enjoy.

Take hope: John Lennon's last song was released 15 years after his death...

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Bridge failure, but with trees? Makes sense.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
"It's a dog-eat-dog world", not "It's a doggie-dog world."

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

There's a lot of etymological borders that really show when a concept was introduced. Like the tea one basically shows whether they got it by land (chai) or sea (tea). Or the Arab world getting oranges by way of Portugal and thus naming them by it.

http://blog.nekoplaza.com/these-fascinating-etymology-maps-show-the-origin-of-words-various-languages/

Weird, since I had always read that Orange came to us from Arabic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Arabic_origin_(N-S)

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

James Garfield posted:

It did! The Arabic word for orange came from Sanskrit (via Persian) :v:

But I thought the Arabic word for orange was a variation on 'Portugal' . . .

I looked into it, and the Sanskrit word naranj that produced our 'orange' is now only used in Arabic to mean 'a bitter orange', like the oranges they use in curacao and other liqueurs. I guess the Portuguese showed up later with the first oranges that didn't taste like rear end, so common oranges are now named after them.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Diamonds are mostly just scratch resistant but not especially durable and can be broken with a hammer.

Or set on fire, for real.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I use the hard 'g' because I'm usually referring to the Graphics Interchange Format rather than the Giraffes Interchange Format.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Calling a golf car a "golf cart" is another popular one. Or maybe it should be golf mobile.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I just learned that HTH is not someone making making a sort of hissing sound while flicking their tongue over their teeth.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Charles Schultz played WWI games growing up because WWII wasn't invented yet. He was old.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
You already know that "righty" means clockwise because that's how you steer a wheel or bicycle handle to the right.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
In pop culture, whenever someone says "I was a kid and my father sat me down for The Talk", they are referring a sex & reproduction talk, not a "that's it, no more crying" talk.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Rick Moranis is not the lead singer of a band called Arcade Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Canadian accents are all Tommy Chong to me.