Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DavidAlltheTime posted:

The moon has a molten core.

Molten outer core, certainly, but the actual core of the Moon is at too high pressure to be liquid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Or the ice of Hoth, or the Cloud City of Bespin, or the swamps of Dagobah, or the forests of Endor.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought to myself, "you know, cenotaph is like an empty tomb, and cenote is a kind of hole in the ground, they must have similar etymology".

I literally couldn't have been more wrong. Cenote is from the Mayan, and cenotaph is (kenos = empty and taphos = tomb) from the Ancient Greek. :tmyk:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I listened to a ton of Primus in the mid-late 90s.

About 7-8 years ago, I got into Tom Waits and still listen to his music all the time.

I just realised that it was him singing on the song Tommy the Cat. It came on randomly earlier today on Google Play and I had a very much :aaaaa: moment.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baronjutter posted:

For the longest time I thought "Prague rock" was some sort of music of Bohemian origin. Only in the last few years did I figure it was short for "progressive" and no czechs were involved.

Not always!

they're pretty bad

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

sharktamer posted:

Doesn't help that no one says it that way, stressing the completely wrong words. I'm sure even the band don't.

I've definitely heard them say it the way that makes it make sense. "Manic (very short pause) street preachers" with almost no gap between the second and third words.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The word disaster literally means "bad star", as in an event that is ill-starred or ill-fated. Neat.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Orange Mage posted:

Ben Folds Five is a band of three people, Five for Fighting is one guy, and Maroon 5 at this point is just Adam Levine I'm assuming?

I read somewhere that Ben Folds Five named themselves that so more food would get put out backstage for them. Probably bullshit, but it does sound better than Ben Folds Three.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Christo posted:

considering India also has ... rhinos

Well today I learned something.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Iron Crowned posted:

He played Kyle Reece, and Hicks :ssh:

We're actually talking about Bill Paxton :ssh:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Iron Crowned posted:

Bill Paxton wasn't in Terminator though

Look at you. Look at you there being wrong.

(Blue hair)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rexim posted:

Maybe a reverse-thing-you-just-figured-out:

A coworker used the phrase a squeaky wheel gets the grease to indicate that another coworker who complains a lot (the squeaky wheel) would be fired first (a bad thing).

That was puzzling to me because I always thought that the phrase 'a squeaky wheel gets the grease' means a good thing would happen to the wheel. I mean, grease is a good thing when you're a wheel, right?

Now I have no idea what the phrase is trying to say!

You're mostly right. The phrase means that if you complain the most, you'll get the best treatment.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

HaB posted:

Because Gandhi, Mussolini and Kennedy were all on coke? :confused:

It would explain why Gandhi gets all nuke-happy at the first sign of trouble.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Geirskogul posted:

What's lox? Coming up with liquid oxygen and confusion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lox

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JoelJoel posted:

It's also one of the few words in English that is what it describes.

Pentasyllabic is another one I've always liked.

Memento has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Oct 7, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ladron posted:

maybe because you went to high school for 6 years

High school goes for six years in lots of countries.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Primary school in most of Australia is K-6, high school is 7-12.

It's probably a dumb idea especially with the new thinking about segregating 13-14 year olds (year 9) but it's the way it's done here :shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hawking is too busy working on his rocket wheelchair to worry about gravity.

Ironically for someone that relies on it so heavily, Stephen Hawking hates technology. It's why he still has a computer voice box that sounds like it's from the early 90s, he refuses to accept a new one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

It's called the "liver" because you need it to "live"

Or so my doctor tells me

Nahh

The etymology of liver comes from old Germanic words for being slimy or sticky.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hyperlynx posted:

Fugazi and Fugees are two separate bands.

Wow, that's... That's a hell of a mistake to make there Hyperlynx

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Antioch posted:

I did this with 'The Illusionist' and 'The Prestige' when those two came out around the same time. I was halfway into the Illusionist wondering when the hell wolverine was going to show up.

That's one of those weird double movies that get released close to each other with the same theme. There's a Wikipedia page on it; reading the examples list shows that not all of them are created equal, by a long shot.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah and Pacific Rim/Godzilla is pretty tenuous as well because the former is a clear homage and the latter is a remake of a remake of a remake.

I always thought one possibility was that you had a bunch of scriptwriters sitting around spitballing ideas and then both of them go away from the meeting with the same idea and put together a treatment for it. Then it goes through screenplay, editing and final acceptance stages without either of them being aware of the other. By that time, contracts are signed and it's too late to back out for either of them, so you get two super similar movies coming out within months of each other.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's just as backwards only forty degrees hotter and commensurately stupider.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yep, that's the problem with Wikipedia, unless it's a niche thing that most people don't understand, the fact that anyone can edit it means a list like that ends up looking like something from TvTropes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

We got a television literally the week before that (rural Australia) and little kid science nerd me was all like "awesome I get to watch it live".

Not my best memory.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

flosofl posted:

Dogs’ tongues exit the water at speeds of up to 4 mph (or 1.8 meters per second), creating a pressure difference between the tongue and the water’s surface. That causes a column of water to shoot up in front of the tongue. 

That explains why my (hilariously lazy rear end in a top hat of a) dog refuses to drink out of the water trough at the dog park, and instead will wait for me to turn the tap on and then bite the pouring water.

I've never met a Labrador so lazy. My in-laws have a Whippet, and I'll walk both of them together sometimes, and my dog won't chase the ball if the whippet is there because he knows he won't get it. He's not slow or fat, just that the whippet is basically Usain Bolt.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powaqoatse posted:

vv they literally had a framed photo of that dog -- even still 50 years after he died vv

loving hell that's a cool looking dogge

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I love Mondegreen discussion. "Sheep or Dragon" is a new one for me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SirSlarty posted:

Seeing how both words are dairy products, the name Quark from DS9 could be an homage to Yogurt from Spaceballs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(TV_series)

Both vastly more likely answers.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

Didn't Blink-182 headline fyre fest?

They were scheduled to, then realised either that they weren't going to get paid or that the whole thing was a shitpile, and bailed early.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is starting to sound like it could start a derail for several pages, but you'd expect the wrong of the nibling to be pretty epic.

gently caress

edit:

Pookah posted:

Gotterdamm
gently caress

Memento has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Jun 13, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Let me tell you guys about a town called Scunthorpe...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Equinoxes and solstices are just to do with the length of the day. Equi-nox = equal night. Sol-stice = sun still (the sun's declination appears to stay in place instead of getting lower or higher, like it had been for the last three months).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kazil posted:

The US is old

Europe posted:

lol

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Intoluene posted:

The ute is based on a standard car chassis

To confuse the issue, there are utes in Australia that only have the shell of the passenger car and then a full-length chassis underneath in order to be rated to carry heavier loads.

Also, my mind is absolutely reeling at that bongwizzard revelation.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who's Mitch?

Mitch Hedberg, he was an observational absurdist comedian.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There was a Chinese restaurant like that in Melbourne about ten years ago - they just never opened, but banked several thousand dollars a night in "takings" (drug money). They got rumbled because a tax office employee walked his dog past there and noticed it had a sign saying "closed for function" every single night, and the lights were never on.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Mountain goats aren't goats.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

However, the phylogenetic and cladistic standpoint is completely irrelevant about 100% of the time people say "fish".

Which they observe in the video as well - the only time people actually give a poo poo about the definition of the word "fish" is when they're looking at a menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, so you're saying we can eat chicken for lent right?

No that's capybaras.