Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

We all also sadly figured out that David Bowie was not an actual starman.
He did blow our minds though.
:unsmith:

Up until yesterday I secretly believed that David Bowie was eternal and that he would continue to pop up every decade or so with a new look and an album of songs for us to enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I can see Deirdre now Lorraine is gone!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You can have soul, but not be a soldier!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Jerry Cotton posted:

Cyrano de Bergerac was an actual dude in IRL life.

I bet he’d the type of person who’d forget their PIN number at the ATM machine.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

OK, in order: it's pencil crayons, multi-storey carpark and woolly hat.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

mostlygray posted:

Now everyone answer this question: What does "a pair of choppers" mean, and why are new ones so awesome?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Our Aussie freezer has ice trays built in the freezer and you turn a dial to dump the cubes out into a tray below. It works pretty well.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Playing through the Uncharted games for the first time I just realised that Nathan Drake has the same initials, ND, as Naughty Dog, the company that made the games.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I just freeze slices of lemon to go in my Gin.
No need for ice or a loving fancy ice making bougie freezer.
Checkmate :agesilaus:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The kind of bacon that Americans eat is cut from the pork belly and is known as streaky bacon in the UK and Australia.
The more general type of bacon eaten in Canada, UK and Australia is back bacon and middle bacon which is made from the pork loin with some pork belly still attached.
In Australia you can get shortcut bacon which is just the pork loin bit.

Helith has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Jul 1, 2018

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Poor ole Freckles, thought of goons and died.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

This Aussie ad for Peugeot shows how it's generally pronounced in Aus and in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adrxt6aXJzY

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Edit: I often go to south Louisiana for work, snd every time have to explain to my copilot that "Rue Lois IV" is French for "Louis the 14th's street."

No it isn't.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Freudian posted:

Foucault and Foucault are two different people.

Now you’re just being hysterical.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I highly recommend The History of English podcast
The early episodes, which I'm slowly working my way through now, discuss the vowel shifts that have changed pronunciations of words across Indo-European languages and he also spends time discussing the Centum / Satem divide in PIE and subsequent languages.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

:science: Well actually, there is only one ocean on Earth :science:

But the one world ocean was traditionally divided up into 4 oceans, the Arctic, Atlantic, Pacific and Indian. Recently the Southern Ocean was recognised as an ocean by most and so most people now count 5 oceans.

Or one.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

And I've just learnt it from this thread! I've lived in countries where you post your mail either at the post office or put it in the nearest post box and your post is delivered through the slot in your front door.
I thought the flag was to tell you that you had mail to collect from the box.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The idea of Ian Curtis being a folk musician is the funniest loving thing I’ve heard in a long time.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Admiralty Flag posted:

Not only do non-US countries use it but it can occur on different dates. I once arrived in London the week between the US falling back and the UK doing it, I didn't pay attention to the local arrival time on the reservation, just assuming it was 6 hours ahead of Chicago, and my assumption about being able to take a tube at that hour cost me £50 in a cab ride.

Also some countries have time zones that are out of synch with the majority of the world. India adds an extra :30 minutes (from a US perspective) but doesn't use DST. I needed to have a label on my laptop saying "India: +10:30 summer / + 11:30 winter from CENTRAL time" when I was traveling around the US and having to schedule calls with our team in India before or after the workday. That was before I learned Outlook can display multiple time zones in your calendar...

In Australia, South Australia and the Northern Territory use a .30 time zone too, but while South Australia will use daylight savings the NT doesn't. There is even a small area in Western Australia around Eucla that uses a .45 timezone.
I think at the moment, due to only some of the states using DST, that there are 6 timezones in Australia though the country technically only covers 3 timezones.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/australia

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

American toilets are designed differently from everyone else and have more water in them so touching the water is not a concern elsewhere in the world.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Captain Hygiene posted:

How's it pronounced when it doesn't rhyme? Anxious to figure out something completely new today.

It's pronounced like sword.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pterosaurs 'cos they soared in the sky obviously.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

purple death ray posted:

Yeah, you know how Blackbeard used to put lit fuses in his beard to intimidate people? Lots of pirates would keep bats under their hats and let them fly out for dramatic effect. That's also the origin of the term "batter", which is what they called the clubs you'd use to get the bats out.

It's also the origin of the term 'assault and battery' because the batter was wielded by pirates, who were colloquially known as 'Salty dogs' so you were battered by a salty hence 'a salty battery' became modernised later to Assault and Battery.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Wasabi the J posted:

I licky boom boom down.

oh yeah I forget UB loving 40 are white as hell too.

The early nineties was filled with so much black musical appropriation. Informer and Red Red Wine were both on the same radio station as a kid.

Oh gently caress BIG MOUNTAIN was white too.

OOOH BABY I LOVE YOUR WAYS.

Eh, UB40 wasn’t all white, they were pretty mixed. The original members all went to school together in a working class area of Birmingham that had a lot of Jamaican immigrants living there so they grew up with both British and Caribbean music as influences. Ali Campbell always came across as all right and genuine in interviews. Plus UB40 started in 1979.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fringes are called bangs in the US.
That confused me for a long time as a kid reading books by American authors or TV shows.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Another Brit here who doesn't really like Mr Bean. It wasn't really funny when it first came out and Rowan Atkinson has done much, much, much better stuff in his career.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Oh mein gott! as the young Germans like to say these days.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

South Australia uses a .30 timezone instead of a full hour because Adelaide is on the eastern edge of their timezone. Also Broken Hill which is in NSW but is close to the SA border uses SA time.
The area around Eucla in Western Australia has it's own .45 timezone too as it's in the far east of the state.

Helith has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Sep 23, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah. So really, if anything, we need more time zones, so that noon is when the sun's overhead wherever you are.

Which is what used to happen until it became a nightmare trying to organise anything in different towns. The spur for standardised time in the UK was due to the expansion of railways and the need to have timetables for them which were consistent in the place the journey started and ended.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

That reminds me, I heard Nirvana's Lithium in the car the other day and remembered a lyric I massively misunderstood as a British teenager when I first heard it.

So the lyric is: "I'm so horny, that's ok, my will is good"

What I heard is: "I'm so horny, that's ok, my willy's good" because willy is British slang for penis, and I just thought that was what Kurt meant, that he was great at sex and had a great willy.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Because Australia's cartographers are poo poo at their job the western borders of NSW and Victoria don't match up properly and are a few hundred metres off:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...8!4d141.0029541

... so there's some farms up in the very NW tip of Victoria where if they move 500m west they'll be in SA which is a different time zone, and if they move 500m east from their starting position they'll be in SA and the SA time zone again, but if they go a further 500m east they'll be back in their original time zone but in NSW.

That is amazing, I didn’t know that. Bet they’re having fun with the border closures.

Continuing chat about time zones

https://twitter.com/guardianaus/status/1309019550621540359?s=21

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It took us a while (and reading the credits) to work out that This guy is not a fat Matt Damon.
We still call him fat Matt Damon whenever we see him in something though.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pookah posted:

edit: on the 'go to bed'/'go to my bed' thing - is is a north of England thing maybe? I've heard people from that part of the world refer to their parent as 'me Dad' even when they are talking to one of their own siblings, which always sounds a little weird to me.

I'm from the north west of England, Lancashire/Greater Manchester area, and I have never said 'I'm going to my bed' just 'I'm off to bed' or 'I'm going to bed' or even 'time for bed!'
There are a lot of dialects across the north of England though, way more than people would think and the differences can be subtle to outside ears but every town basically has it's own dialect. I can't recall hearing any say 'going to my bed' though there are areas that would say 'my mum/mam' and 'my dad' (it sounds like 'me' just because of pronunciation). Around our way we call everyone 'our', so 'our mum' 'our dad' 'our kid' 'our Susan' etc but I think that's a Greater Manchester thing really.
I can recall elderly relatives from East Lancashire talking about people 'taking poorly' and that the person 'took to his/her bed' while they were ill.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The reason I hated Brussels sprouts as a kid but like them as an adult isn't because of my more sophisticated adult palette. It's because, back in the 90s, a Dutch scientist identified the chemical compounds that made them taste and smell like hot garbage, found a few varieties that didn't produce them, and managed to cross-breed a new better tasting variety.

I loathed brussels sprouts as a kid, couldn't even bear the smell off them.
I tried some again a couple of years back, basically a tasting menu which had them as a component in a dish, and nope, still loathe them. Just not as intensely. They are still bad.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I think these had been roasted with bacon and it was in a nice restaurant and I still hated them. They're pretty much the only food I refuse to eat.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Dip Viscous posted:

why would you microwave something that's already on the stovetop

why would you put milk into what i assumed are mashed potatoes

nobody in my family uses milk and i'm lactose intolerant so at least once a month i find out about a new way people use milk that seems insane to me

It's pretty common to put both milk and butter into mash potatoes.
I warm the milk up first too.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I have no idea why Australia gets the reputation as most dangerous place after reading about Moose/Elk etc.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Most of Australia's deadliest snakes live out in the outback where there a very very few people, so you'd really have to go looking for them. Snake bites are rare and deaths even rarer.
The snakes in India and SE Asia are deadlier, comparatively, because they are where the people are, so the chance of getting bitten just doing your thing is far higher and healthcare access is more limited.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’m what happens when cats learn to use computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The self service checkouts at Woolworths in Australia have a camera in them that identifies fruit and veg by colour and shape. So if you put red coloured apples on the scales the screen auto suggests varieties of red apples as well as other red round fruit and veg it could be and you choose the right one from the selection.