Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The raccoon is the largest of the procyonid family, having a body length of 40 to 70 cm (16 to 28 in) and a body weight of 3.5 to 9 kg (8 to 20 lb).

Are you sure you didn't catch a baby bear wearing a mask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'Antarctic' means "No bears here!" because someone went and checked and there weren't any bears there.

Arctic comes from the Greek arktos, bear, so that's uhh pretty close.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Starboard and port are left and right if you're rowing.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What the gently caress is sometimes W in English.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

In words like 'low' the w makes up the second part of the diphthong. Letters themselves aren't actually 'vowels' they're just letters, but rather the sound you make is the 'vowel sound'.

Source - https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/when-is-w-a-vowel

So is L also a vowel then?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I realized today that the names for the Washington Wizards and Mystics are related.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I don't know, sometimes the cheapest thing is a lovely knockoff so people want to go with brands they've heard of. But then they've probably heard of those brands because of the constant advertising.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Memento posted:

The noise this guy makes afterwards is possibly the most unintentionally funny thing on the internet.

He's essentially inhaling pepper spray directly into his lungs.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
They are different to most people. Your description matches how I hear it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So you pronounce sin and sing the same?

Felonious_Monk posted:

The "sin"/"sing" difference is for sure a dialectal change, with some dialects markedly having [i:] before the "ng" and some having [ɪ]. This is part of a pattern with lax vowels before velars: one of my friends has the "hay" diphthong for "egg", "leg", etc. There seems to be a tongue movement in making velars that makes preceding vowels sound more [i:]-like.

Egg (and leg) rhymes with Hague for me. For my fiance it rhymes with beg.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

No of course not; "ng" and "n" don't sound the same. "N" is the sound at the start of "no", "ng" is the sound at the start of "Nguyen".

Ok I can't picture how sin and sing have the same i sound then. I listened to some youtube videos on their pronunciation and they sound completely different.

Is that a thing? I know some people hear different sounds the same if they don't grow up saying things that way but this seems like it's the opposite of that.

e: I just spoke with my wife who studied linguistics, and apparently some people can't hear the difference between the two even though they pronounce them differently. So they can't hear the difference when they say it but other people can. Human brains are weird.

bamhand has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jun 8, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Once water starts boiling there's no point in keeping the stove on high. Your food isn't going to cook any faster than if it's on low/medium. Just going to evaporate the water faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The concept of probability wasn't even around then. Dice didn't have to be designed to be "fair" because the results are the will of the gods. Gambling is just seeing who the gods favored more. Not a thing of chance.