Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I definitely think Disney is going to do everything in their power to do this and especially hold on to the mouse, but I also think the reason they're buying up every franchise in existence is because they understand there's a very good chance they're going to lose Mickey and all of Walt's creations fairly soon. I think we're going to see them moving further away from using Mickey as their main branding, even if they hold on to the 3 circles from his silhouette as a trademark.

Or they let the copyright go and argue the trademark (which lasts forever as long as they keep using it) lets them still block anyone else from selling anything with Mickey on it or making any new cartoons. Letting people make copies of Steamboat Willie won't impact their bottom line, losing out on the little kid backpack market will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

What if Brad Pitt wants to know who was the guy in some movie?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

rydiafan posted:

My church as a kid passed around trays with little plastic shot glasses. Grape juice was in the middle and wine was around the outside.
We did that too. I think I remember it being for some combination of kids/recovering alcoholics?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Putting the engine weight over the drive wheels is also useful for traction

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Most old carols/church hymns are from someone taking preexisting folk music then replacing the lyrics with Jesus. Greensleeves/What child is this? is just one where the secular version survives

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I knew this already but maybe I can help you all figure a new thing out:

Sea shanties are wack and lame and are only cool if you're a tryhard.
If you have a better way to synchronize pulling on a rope, I'd like to hear it :colbert:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Finland and the US's "does this household have any guns?" rates are similar, but US gun people tend to have enormous arsenals

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

credburn posted:

I never understood that quote. I know he said it and it's a famous quote but whatever it's meaning to say is lost on me. I guess I imagine that guy from that movie who beat up his old town with a 2x4.
Think going to a meeting with mob boss who is very polite and a good host but also has a bunch of goons hanging around.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I was very disappointed when I first listened to Dragula and it wasn't about Dracula in drag.
It's not even about Dragula, that car has no back seat for slamming in. It's about the Munster Koach

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Bargearse posted:

He was from the Philippines in the book, there was a whole but where he talks about speaking Tagalog with one of the other infantrymen.
There's also a bit in the book where Buenos Aires is destroyed and Rico feels vaguely bad about it, but not that bad since he doesn't know anybody who lived there.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

That’s absolutely a deliberate choice.

And in the book he’s definitely from BA. His meets up with his Dad who joined after his wife/Johnny’s mom was killed in the attack on BA.

Starship Troopers posted:

I suppose I noticed the destruction of B. A. much less than most civilians did. We were already a couple of parsecs away under Cherenkov drive and the news didn't reach us until we got it from another ship after we came out of drive.

I remember thinking, "Gosh, that's terrible!" and feeling sorry for the one Porteño in the ship. But B. A. wasn't my home and Terra was a long way off and I was very busy, as the attack on Klendathu, the Bugs' home planet, was mounted immediately after that and we spent the time to rendezvous strapped in our bunks, doped and unconscious, with the internal-gravity field of the Valley Forge off, to save power and give greater speed.
His mom is killed there, but she's just visiting on vacation and he doesn't find out until a long time later

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What would you classify the Death Star II as?
It is a Tokyo Bay Fortress

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

The control stick on the F-16 is exactly the same as the one on the A-10.
They also have the same gps/ins, the same air data computer, and the same data cartridge reader

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just learned that the largest North American animal is the bison (also dangerous but mostly to tourists who try to like cuddle them)
:your mom joke goes here:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

rollick posted:

When Americans talk about "wiring" money, or "sending a wire", they just mean a bank transfer. It always seemed more complicated than that in films and tv.
'Bank transfer' means some context dependent payment network. In Europe, it's probably going to mean a system specific to that country or group of participating countries with no reach beyond that. In the US, it would typically mean the ACH payment network, or something newer like Zelle payment network, which also won't reach outside the US. 'Wiring money' doesn't really mean anything specific either. Internationally, it typically means SWIFT. Domestically in the US, it usually means CHIPS or Fedwire.

There's nothing really qualitatively different about any of the networks, they're all just different combinations of finality/settlement speed/cost/etc... The ones that get called 'wiring money' are typically more final, faster, and more expensive so they get used for big transactions like buying a house.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Today I learned that the figure skating spiny jump is a Triple Axel, not a Triple Axle. It is named after a guy whose first name was Axel.

(from an obituary article about the Fosbury Flop guy that went on a tangent about other sport things named after people)

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Pookah posted:

I have a tiny hole in the roof of my mouth, I mentioned it to a doctor once, but they brushed over it.
I can only assume I was close to having a cleft palate, and the only actual event was this tiny hole.
It's really dinky, like the size of a grain of rice.
Can you use a straw without also sucking air in your nose?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

The fun thing about that is you don't even need to see one up close. They literally have a 'human for scale' feature in the form of the cockpit, where you can see the pilot. But somehow the proportions of everything just make us think its so much smaller.

Also the size is mostly to do with payloads. The Embraer ERJ145 carries 50 people with a rated payload of about 12,755lbs. Compare that to the F35, which carries 1 person but has a (reported) payload capacity of... 18,000lbs.

If jets still just needed small air-to-air rockets and guns they could be so much smaller, but because they've basically taken over for bombers in most situations they've ballooned in size to be able to lug around giant bombs.
The engines on a bunch of CRJs and Embraer E-things are more-or-less the same thing as on an A-10, just with the afterburner removed (I used to work on stuff that went into A-10s at an old job). My impression of them from flight test setup isn't that they're big though, they always felt like short bus size things vs small passenger jets "bigger than semitruck"-ness. Same for the random F-16s that were occasionally in the same hangers, they didn't feel big.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

A-10's don't have afterburners, the engines are for all internet comparison intents identical to a crj's, far as I know.
You'd think I'd remember these things after working on the engine monitoring box for multiple years.

(It was a long time ago, and the job was basically "Make the software periodically read a bunch of sensors from each engine. When temperatures/pressures/rpms/vibration do X, generate code Y". Then those codes made ground personnel do different kinds of inspections or maintenance on the engine. I never had to really know much about why various patterns of readings were bad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I think I used to read your posts in the AI air thread. I might have forgotten if I still do too :downs:
Nope, not me