Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I always read it "keehotically", like you say Don Quixote.

You say Quixote "Keehot"? Please stop immediately s:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Lady Naga posted:

It's not pronounced like the cereal.

I am not aware of any cereal it would be pronounced like.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

The_White_Crane posted:

... but that's correct? What do you call it now?

It's not even remotely correct. Worcestershire is pronounced /ˈwʊstərʃər/, or if you don't read IPA I'd write it something like "wuss-ter-sher". Three syllables, short o/u sound.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

is there an actual ammonium chloride flavour of finnish vodka because I almost believe that is a gimmick that would exist

Yeah, salmiakki kosken is some real poo poo. Never doubt Finnish alcohol.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Fun fact: In France it's called Sija and in Sweden Ouida.

Funner fact: Nope, it's Ouija in Sweden.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Hyperlynx posted:

I've just recently discovered the band Racer X, who are very, VERY much my jam. Besides the fact that that I can't believe I've just figured out that a a band that started one year before I was born is absolutely and completely my kind of music, I thought that "bolt in my heart" was probably a love song, something about his heart being pierced by a crossbow bolt (maybe shot by Cupid?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPG0w0tEcik

No, the song's just about cars. It would be the kind of bolt that holds pieces of metal together.

Oh man. We had Street Lethal on cassette when I was younger. I had completely forgotten about them, but reading the name now brought back the memories. Gotta listen to them and see if I still like it now.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

zedprime posted:

For someone with food security, you already did your damage to the supply chain at the time of purchase. Eating it may give you some small balance, but know any overpurchase of food is damaging to a food supply chain from a security point of view and the damage is done at the time of purchase.

The damage might be done at purchase time for that specific product, but the damage at purchase time of the next one, and every purchase thereafter, is not yet done, and eating perfectly good food instead of throwing it away will, in fact, reduce how much you purchase.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I went to school in the 70s and 80s and the giant world maps in the classrooms grew increasingly outdated and incorrect every year as countries kept changing their names but the school refused to spend money replacing them

When I was growing up I had this theory that you could pretty accurately gauge the social status/richness of an area by looking at how long the world maps at school has the Soviet Union on them. I had this idea in about 2004, as both my current and previous school at the time did. I brought this up last year or something and my wife thought it was absurd that any school would have an incorrect map for so long, having grown up in a rich fancy suburb rather than a dying industrial town.

Last week she realized the maps at the school she works now still has the Soviet Union on them, and had to concede that maybe my school in 2004 did as well.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Aphrodite posted:

Do Australians just think of north as down?

Not Australian, but I've never really thought of North as up in the first place. If I'm holding a map, I don't hold it with north up, I hold it with north facing north. Depending on how I'm standing and the shape of the map, this might be up, but it could just as easily be down or the right. If I'm heading southeast, that's my up, mentally.

Also I kind of want to buy a south-on-top globe now. Or maybe south/north perfectly horizontal, that'd be cool.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Hyperlynx posted:

It also wouldn't make sense. Globes are oriented so that up and down is perpendicular to our orbit around the Sun, and the rotational axis tilted to match.

I mean sure, but they don't have to be. That's not really a mandatory or useful feature for a decorative/"fail to look up countries because it's wrong now" globe at home.

Memento posted:

As a geologist I spend a hell of a lot of time outdoors with maps and I cannot stop myself from turning around so that I'm facing north. I just get the map out, hold it up and I'll already be turning around without thinking about it.

I grew up orienteering, which I guess could have something to do with it. If you're running and need to consult the map, stopping and turning to face a different direction isn't reasonable, you just keep running while checking the map, making it natural to turn it so up is your direction of travel.

This is also how navigation software works, at least Google maps. Can you even tell it to keep the map oriented with up as north instead of forward?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Having undiagnosed brain problems but just getting by on smarts is a real pain. If I had gotten help a few years earlier I would've had a much easier time at uni, and probably had/kept more friends from high school. But instead, crappy sadbrains I didn't even realize I had until I didn't as much anymore and got the "woah, is this how good feels?" epiphany.

Hope the diagnosis brings positive change for you!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I was the "it's correct language use!" holdout regarding punctuation on instant messaging for a few years back in the MSN messenger days, but had to give it up because my friends insisted it wasn't how it was done, there are different rules online. Once someone said it was different rules instead of breaking the rules I was more okay with it, but it still bothers me a little.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
beaucoup is a perfectly normal french word, spelt perfectly normally (for French)

What I have not yet figured out is: where are so many of you (presumably) Americans hearing it in a context where it is not obviously a French word? Do people go around saying just that, and why?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Prurient Squid posted:

The line in the Bloodhound Gang song The Bad Touch

"Yes I'm Sisko, yes I'm Ebert and you're getting two thumbs up".

The "two thumbs up" bit is probably a sex thing. Not just a compliment.

That line is specifically a reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Movies_(1982_TV_program), where you could get at most two thumbs up.

Up your BUM that is.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, I feel like I'm a sentence people would usually say like "a strong breeze from the northeast" and that makes it clear.

Yeah but sometimes people say "we've got an easterly wind today" and then I have to think :(

Edit: by people i mean the king of red Lions in wind waker

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You can't see 100% of a 2D object at the same time, either.

Do surfaces without thickness have sides? Or is it because you cannot see any 2D object, because they cannot exist?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Ironhead posted:

Wait, is this not a thing? I swear we were taught about this in school, except there were four I think? Australoid I think was the fourth, and it referred to the native peoples of Australia, not the European imports.

I could google it, but now I'm afraid about what will come up.

Depends on what you mean with "is a thing". Is it a thing people have believed? Has it been taught in schools as science? Yes to both. Is it correct, scientifically justified and not made up for racist reasons? No to all three.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

this is my mind blown moment because could have sworn he died recently

He is not dead, but he did participate in the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest, which musically is the same as dying.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
"We don't translate names", we say, and then literally do all the time.

In Sweden we use Swedish names for the other Nordic cities, but usually not for others, where we instead use...the English names, pronounced in Swedish. Also we called Beijing "Peking".

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I look them straight in the penis, as tradition dictates.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
In Sweden, Nogger is still around. It's licorice-flavoured sibling, Nogger Black, which was stylized in a graffiti-like font, did not last long though.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I've always interpreted "not if I see you first" as meaning "because I will then avoid the encounter", which is an interpretation that works in the hell case as well. Ish.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Captain Splendid posted:

No one's ever been able to tell me how to pronounce Colm Ó Cíosóig's surname.

I've just realised it's the original spelling of Cusack.

While true, it's very much not helpful with regard to how to pronounce it, as the two names are very different.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

FreudianSlippers posted:

Antonio Banderas is Tony Flags.
Stellan Skarsgård is Peaceful Archipelago
Glenn Danzig is Valley Gdansk.

Etc.

I can't comment on the accuracy of the other ones, but "Stilla Skärgård" and "Stellan Skarsgård" are not, in fact, the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

FreudianSlippers posted:

Any system of measurements that requires you to use fractions is an abomination

Yeah, just have a unique name for every single possible amount, no problem.