Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Back massager things actually work at releasing pain and tension from ones back and neck. Holy poo poo.

Is this true? My neck and upper back have been randomly aching for some time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

That "Camus" is supposed to be pronounced "ka-moo". Now I can't take it seriously because I imagine it said the way Billy Connelly says "We're going to Peru!" in a Series of Unfortunate Events.

That's not how you pronounce Camus at all. This is how you're supposed to pronounce it, ⟨y⟩ in IPA. I guess English doesn't really have this sound.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

This is what I get for taking information from an old, English (as in, not French) dictionary using their own weird non-IPA pronunciation thing. :shobon:

You knew not to pronounce the s, so you were on the right track.

Next time you're in a discussion with your French philosopher friends, they will be very impressed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Nope, I have no earthly idea how or why it happened. Someone just told me "You know the regulars and staff running StoreX hated {Where I Worked/Hung Out} and everyone who worked or went there, right?"

It was really weird. Like, why?

Because you sold sports stuff and were therefore not proper nerds.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Seems like they would just say 'ost.

edit: I don't think anyone outside of Scandinavia knows how to pronounce Ø, I had to look it up myself.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't believe I had no idea what a lanyard was until I googled it just now.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

YYZ posted:

I found out that I've always pronounced "fifth" incorrectly when one of my pupils corrected me today. I've always said it with a hard T :eng99:

Don't feel bad, English is almost the only language where that sound even exists, so non-English speakers nearly always struggle with it. Most Dutch speakers will invariably pronounce it as a hard 't'. I remember someone laughing at me for pronouncing the word 'thumb' approximately correctly.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

YYZ posted:

I'm English. I teach maths, so I use this word regularly. I do not have an excuse.

It's a sound that humans were not meant to produce unless they've suffered from a massive stroke, so I'm not surprised even native speakers struggle.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

e: never mind

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 18:12 on May 25, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

KillHour posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dialects_and_varieties

Holy crap. This is why my Spanish teacher couldn't pronounce "th", but my Mexican girlfriend has no issue. :aaaaa:

Wouldn't it be the other way around? I thought that sound was mostly found in Peninsular Spanish, with Latin Americans pronouncing z as s.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

stubblyhead posted:

Avoiding shellfish is easy, because shellfish is gross.

Mussels and scampi are great. The rest...eh. I've always considered lobster to be overrated.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I love cake but I hate frosting, any frosting at all and people keep giving me poo poo for it because "That's the best part!" they say while eating it by the spoonful off their cake slices.

Lots of people hate frosting, I always assumed its main purpose was aesthetic and edibility was a secondary concern.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Intoluene posted:

Iirc, English is fairly unique for having a special word for light red.

Not really, but the specific etymological origin is unique. I'm pretty sure it's some variation of 'rose' in most European languages.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

:lol: if you didn't just go to a real school and had Latin for six years... yeah, :lol:...

I had Latin for six years in high school and I don't remember a thing

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

...but this is a good explanation that fits all observed evidence, so it is our current "best fit" for the truth. And that's how Science works.

Don't bodies of masses release gravitons or something

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

But sabre-toothed tigers were bigger than regular tigers, right?

Otherwise what is even the point of these prehistoric animals

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sounds like it's worth its salt LOL

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It does bother me a bit but technically the Latin c is supposed to be pronounced as k and no one does that either

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

Fugazi and Fugees are two separate bands.

But...they're nothing alike.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Less 'figured out' than 'learned', but I had no idea that Luxembourgish was a language.

It is, and it is in better shape than you might think. I feel like adopting the German standard language would have been the wiser move regardless, but they're apparently not too keen on their eastern neighbors for historical reasons.

They've fortunately managed to stave off Frenchification.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cyberbug posted:

Also Belgium has a province called Luxembourg right next to the country called Luxembourg which confused the hell out of me while I was driving over there.

Luxembourg Luxembourg Luxembourg!

The Walloon part of the country was transferred to Belgium in 1839.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's how I do it, at least.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HairyManling posted:

Linkin' Park and Limp Bizkit are two separate bands. I can't exactly explain why, but until last night when I was listening to terrible early 2000's music and my son was telling me about these lovely bands that came from the era - my brain had always somehow grouped them into being the same band. Mind blown.

I know goons are old but this is ridiculous

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just assumed it started in September everywhere

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure Summer officially starts on June 21st here...at least, I thought I was, now I'm wondering if it doesn't change from year to year.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Plus, it's a Dutch name. Germans (also everyone else) are unable to properly pronounce the sch sound.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Also seahorses? Not actually horses

Get the gently caress out of here. No way.

e: holy poo poo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Look I mean, you're in a sub moderated by a person that mixes up Currie Graham with Kevin Spacey.

Michael McMillian with Topher Grace.

Stephen McHattie with Christopher Walken.

We're all idiots here.

I don't remember the details but there was that guy who thought Coldplay was a heavy metal band or something

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

numerrik posted:

I just figured out that my dad's hobby is speed running tower defense games and animal crossing even though he has no concept of speed running or the internet community. He functionally discovered it for himself

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have a dad that plays video games, mine thinks it's a foolish waste of time. Which, okay, I can't really argue with

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ask a question...that's a paddlin'

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You actually do keep mispronouncing Adolf

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Migas, a dish made of fried tortilla strips and scrambled eggs, gets it's name from being the best breakfast friend[Amiga]. It's in feminine form because sexism. :ese:

I've never heard of this dish before, but I thought migas was just Spanish for crumbs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Migas is Spanish (Castellano) for bread crumbs, but also refers to the delicious Mexican dish! :eng101:

But surely the name comes from migas rather than amigas.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think it was a joke.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Garfield has no gender? What?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I keep thinking it sounds wrong when people correctly pronounce 'lever' and I don't know why

e: oh, it's actually an American/British thing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What's the Wonka joke?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

syscall girl has mercilessly trolled us all

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Whitlam posted:

I did this same thing except with Meghan Markle. In Suits there's this scene where she says "what, did you think this just a permanent tan?" and I was like "... yes?"

They are both mixed-race. No shame in not immediately applying the one-drop rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

I just realized that when Ricky Ricardo said Lucy had some splaining to do, or said she was specting when she was pregnant, that was hypercorrection because Spanish has a bunch of words that start with es that start with just s in English, like estupido.... or español

That makes sense, in Spanish you always put an e in front when the word starts with s + another consonant. They pronounce ska 'eska'