Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'll be sure to steer clear of the subject if I ever meet her during a sampling of horse derves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Questionable enunciation ITT

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The Genesis/Mega Drive had ABC for buttons purely so that you could input "ABRACADABRA" as an in-game cheat code (R and D are right and down respectively, if not obvious)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

the ancient Greeks described color all fuckin' weird-like. The sky was bronze, and sheep were the color of wine.

Homer didn't have any trouble with or odd ideas about colors, he just wrote the first popular sparkledog fanfiction

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Even empty books (i.e. notebooks) can have ISBN:s. Don't exactly know why though.

You can buy a huge block of isbns for relatively cheap as a one-time fee (and can turn the isbns into scannable barcodes), but if you need upcs you have to pay a pricy recurring license basically forever

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Remember, nothing is a better judge of one's intelligence than being familiar with words that are less widely used than 'fictional' ones

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Cars are called cars because they have 4 wheels and people inside like train cars. Automobiles are called that because people foresaw self driving cars. Flowers are called that because nutrients flow through the stems and people sometimes ground them up into flour. Ground is the past tense of grind because it's rubbing 2 pieces of ground together

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

rydiafan posted:

I own multiple copies of this book because I loan it to anybody whose hands I can shove it into. It's a shockingly deep subject.

Universal history of numbers is another cool book, I've done the exact same with it

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

One money guy hears about a new project being backed by another money guy on the golf course, so he tells an assistant to dig through the giant pile of spec scripts to find a few of that same theme to get the ball rolling

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Room temperature has nothing to do with butter for most americans, since they're terrified of spoilage no matter the time period or storage method

But of course day+ old pizza kept on the table in a cardboard box is fine

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The shortcuts aren't only limited to text formatting. They also have more advanced/oddball shortcuts enabled, like just hitting ctrl+f4 when you're done typing your post, rather than needing to click preview and/or submit

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

FELD1 posted:

When she started voicing Ash she would've been ~31

Lol if you're on this forum and don't consider 31 to be the real age for 'young adult'

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

But adult goku is just a child in a larger body, i fail to see the problem

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Journalism jargon, especially anything related to editing, is intentionally misspelled to make it easier to make sure editorial notes don't make it into print

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Bogan King posted:

It's pronounced the same way you'd pronounce the 'g'in gif.

It's a soft g because the (original) basis of the format is that each frame lasts 1/100 of a second, which is named a jiffy

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Phyzzle posted:

I use the hard 'g' because I'm usually referring to the Graphics Interchange Format rather than the Giraffes Interchange Format.

True, and on the weekends I like to go skuh'bah diving

Something I learned in the language thread, "eleven" and "twelve" have their roots in literally meaning one and two left over (after reaching ten) which is kind of neat

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Melody reuse? Time to make sure this gets posted again in case someone hasn't seen it

https://youtu.be/JdxkVQy7QLM

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It'd be interesting to have a thread where you can hear everyone's accents since all posts must be written in the IPA, but that seems like way too much work in practice :effort:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I think the lack of rigid season dates is because there's nothing tied directly to the seasons here, they're just kind of a background thing. Hell, we don't even have an official harvest festival day which seems weird since it's such an agrarian country

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Nah, I'm from the states, I just said "official" since thanksgiving was taught more as a "don't be racist to natives" day when I was a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Lol if you imagine anyone here wearing actual adult clothes. Shorts and an ill-fitting t-shirt at best, though there's the occasional tissue-thin short sleeve kmart dress shirt for formal occasions and adult onesies for everyday errands