Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Nipples posted:

In the face of all the things necessary to maintain a human presence in Antarctica it seems superfluous to be like "oh happy day at least I can still worship an imaginary sky wizard."

It’s Antarctica. There is little to do there besides drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

christmas boots posted:

Can’t help but think Galileo really got in trouble for stuff like writing a book where the geocentric model was argued by a stand in of the pope and naming him dipshit

This is like the regressives defending MacArthur High School and the Irvine police department because actually, Ahmed’s clock wasn’t very cool and it looked like an idiot’s conception of a bomb

So what if he was baiting them? If they took the bait, that’s on them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king. Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”

Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”

christmas boots posted:

It's also not at all like the racial profiling of a 14 year old boy.

It is possible to discuss the structural similarities of events without drawing moral equivalence between parties or outcomes of those events.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Diogenes was wild, like a dog.

Behold a man of great hits.

quote:

Being asked where in Greece he saw good men, he replied, “Good men nowhere, but good boys at Sparta.”

I lack the context to know if this is putting down the Spartans as mere boys or if it’s reference to pederasty.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Hygiene posted:

Gotta try seasoning and roasting them, it's a completely different food than the sad-sack boiled version that made me think I fundamentally hated them.

Yeah you’ve got to roast the hell out of them.

If they’re not black around the edges, they’re not done yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scarodactyl posted:

Aside from everything else about it, this is obviously not an authentic quote since the Greeks (and most people throughout history) didn't think of the brain as where intelligence is stored. That's a modern thing.

quote:

Well, this was a merry tour of the recesses of the Internet!

I began by repeating the search you already made. The first thing that struck me is how many people have copied the story across the web, often rephrasing it, but without ever changing or adding to its elements. As you already noticed, there doesn't seem to be any further ancient source behind it. The anecdote must therefore be a modern elaboration on Diogenes Laertios 6.54, which hasn't existed long enough to pick up further embellishments.

Google yields the most likely culprit: Michael Boylan and Charles Johnson (eds.), Philosophy: An Innovative Introduction: Fictive Narrative, Primary Texts, and Responsive Writing (2010, reprinted 2018). This book uses short fictional stories as a way to introduce and teach philosophical concepts. One of its stories, 'The Cynic' by Charles Johnson, is told from Plato's perspective; it includes the anecdote in Diogenes Laertios, but then extends it with the exact riposte you've found elsewhere. It even gives us the pacing and phrasing that is common (with minor variations) to most of the versions this anecdote takes online.

It seems pretty obvious that this didactic fiction is the origin (and the reason) behind the extended anecdote. It is not historical. It does not occur in this form anywhere in the sources, and does not occur anywhere on the internet in a form that is demonstrably independent of Johnson's story.

The only problem is that you found three websites apparently dated to 2001, nine years before Boylan and Johnson published their story. However, as you said, the dates are all identical and this seems to be an issue with Google. When you go to the actual page and check the page info, you find that this one was actually published in 2015 and this one was first published in 2013 but edited as recently as 2018. The only one I couldn't verify was the broken PDF, but the pattern seems clear enough to assume that one also postdates 2010. If you change the Google search to show all results up to 31 December 2009, it adds only one page, which was published in 2009 but edited in 2018.

https://old.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/b4jlu3/what_is_the_original_source_claiming_that/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Torquemada posted:

Ack, someone needs to update his wikipedia page!

I’m sure editors have had dozens of pages of edit war over it already.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

flakeloaf posted:

Like when burying a body, those first few shovelfuls are dug with the spoon side of the shovel down, to distinguish that work from other things shovels do.

Do you normally dig with the handle down?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wasabi the J posted:

Bullwinkle is a moose in NA. Is he an elk in Europe?

I don’t know about how he was localised, but in general, members of his species would be ‘elk’, yes.

Wasabi the J posted:

Elk in US is big deer with an ascot and pointy head bones. Are those moose in Europe?

Those are never ‘moose’. They’re not native to Europe and they don’t come up much, but when they do, they’re ‘wapiti’.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Imperador do Brasil posted:

In Portuguese, elk is “alce”, and moose is “alce americano”, or American elk. Problem solved.

That seems backwards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s a suburb of Stockholm that four elements named for it, thanks to a weird rock at the tungsten mine. The suburb is Ytterby, and they are yttrium, terbium, erbium, and ytterbium.

Stockholm has its own element (holmium), so in turn do Scandinavia (scandium), Europe (europium), and the Earth (tellurium).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EasilyConfused posted:

What a cool map! Where did you find it?

I don’t recall when I first saw it. It’s been in the maps thread before. I googled something like “chemical element place name map” to bring it up again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EasilyConfused posted:

Wow, unicode emojis are even more useless than I thought. I don't know why I expected them to all be the same.

Why would they all be the same?

There are many thousands of variations of letterforms.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Jan 6, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

I recently discovered that if you press shift in Stardew Valley, you walk instead of running.

Which is how it should be, really.

That’s the default.

There’s an option for sadists to change it to default to walk, run on shift.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Masochists, surely?

Knowing that there are people out there who uncheck that box brings me pain.

(Whew. Smooth save.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I just accidentally discovered that clicking on your username on the forums main index takes you to your profile. All these years whenever I had to find it for some reason I'd go hunting for one of my posts so I could click the profile button.

I thought that was a logout link

The logout link is the one that makes (made) your wildest dreams come true.

e: Didn’t Jeffrey rename it to something boring for a while? It’s back. :yayclod:

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 10:55 on Feb 12, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

potatoes are in pre-measured bags

Truly a cursed land.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Actually once I scanned a four dollar six ounce cheese, and then I took home a six dollar six ounce cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4CWJ31HBis

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jabberlock posted:

I just figured out Mediterranean means "between lands", as in it's the sea between Europe, Asia, and Africa.

There’s an American Mediterranean Sea

(It’s the Caribbean.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Silver Falcon posted:

Today I heard a radio ad for Home Depot and realized that the popular refrigerator brand Frigidaire is a portmanteau of frigid and air.

Yes, you may laugh at me.

The Fresh Quince of Frigid Aire.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Oil companies have known about global warming since the late 70s they just don't give a poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lgzz-L7GFg

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CleverHans posted:

I went digging for an excellent old post on the subject and found it was yours!

Newspapers around the world quoted just the caption from page three forty one and I first came across a scan of one of those. The full story in Popular Mechanics turns out to be far more interesting.

I do have a bad habit of just inlining images and quotes and not putting enough text in the post to make them searchable, so let’s tag this one: global warming, climate change, popular mechanics, 1911, turn of the century

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Mar 17, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Hygiene posted:

Can't wait to see what it looks like two decades after buying the car :ohdear:

foliated

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Scotland Yard” started as a form of metonymy. It’s the same thing as when the Prime Minister’s office is referred to as “Downing Street”. London’s police headquarters used to have an entrance on a street called the Great Scotland Yard. The street was, in turn, named that probably because a lot of important Scots resided there way back when, sort of like “Embassy Row” is today in Washington D.C..

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Turnwise” is bogus.

It should be “deasil”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Laopooh posted:

e: oh I read this as roger being a euphemism for sex, not penis. I'd never heard of a johnson being referred to as a roger hehe

Roger that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: people claim to post ellipses…

but actually post three periods...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When you post three periods, you have to follow it with six spaces...      That’s just science.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Nipples posted:

I just learned from this youtube video that Jujubes are not only a candy but also a deciduous tree/shrub. I imagine the candies are named after the fruit given their similar appearance.

It’s an A‐tier fruit, but I would have never known that if I hadn’t had some right off the tree. I was at a nursery and I bought the tree on the spot.

They fruit is easy enough to find dried, where they’re sometimes called “Chinese dates”, but those just aren’t the same. Nor are the fresh ones when I’ve found them at supermarkets. Those are picked too early.

IMO they’re best like this, mostly brown but not yet drying out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Nipples posted:

I don't know if I can accommodate their soil drainage requirement but I'm gonna look into getting one, thanks. :tipshat:

I’m not really testing the limits of mine, but I don’t think that jujubes are especially particular about good drainage. It’s just the default recommendation for fruiting plants and usually good to aim for. It’s notable when a plant doesn’t have “well-draining soil” listed. Pears are an example of something that can take wet soil. Cherries comparatively hate having their feet wet, but plenty of them are grown in the Pacific Northwest regardless. Creating a bit of a raised mound and planting on it should be enough unless you get multi‐day standing water.

The bigger issue might be not having enough hot summer weather to fully ripen them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Atticus_1354 posted:

Be aware that they can be incredibly invasive as they spread rapidly from the roots. Also most will be on a different rootstock so the shoots won't grow good fruit. You will need to grow it in a large container or be very vigilant on preventing the spread.

I know this is tempting a genie to gently caress with me, but I wish mine would sucker more aggressively so I could graft to them and dig them up for friends.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jestery posted:

Wait,

Parrafin is kerosene?

What the poo poo

What most of the rest of the world calls “kerosene”, Brits call “paraffin”. It’s a petroleum distillate, heavier than gasoline (petrol) and lighter than diesel fuel.

Outside of Britain, “paraffin” is an artificial wax that is solid at room temperature, used to make candles.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Jun 18, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh yeah that stuff is complete dogshit.

I think the idea is that it’s less volatile than kerosene and reduces the smell, but it produces oodles of soot and that’s way worse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fizzymercury posted:

I've always wondered if corn mazes were a pun on maize or if I'm reading too much into it.

I see you have yet to be aMAZEd by their CORNy puns.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scarodactyl posted:

Also the general origin of A+++ tier username Corn in the Bible

Genesis 42:26 (KJV) posted:

And they laded their asses with the corn, and departed thence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gaius Marius posted:

Hopefully you dropped the "friend" who didn't understand the majesty of the Dreamcast controller

Hall effect 4 lyfe

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

packetmantis posted:

Augustine was a weird loving dude. We read some of Confessions (I think?) in my Latin class and there was a big chunk where he wrote about going to a chariot race and being disgusted at all the unwashed sheeple who haven't seen the light of God.

Augustine talks a little about intersex people, and he’s like “I don’t fully understand this, but we should give them the benefit of the doubt and treat them as male, because being male is clearly superior”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beartaco posted:

I've just had my mind blown by my flatmate, most cars are front wheel drive? Including mine?? Why, my entire life have I assumed that rear wheel drive was the default, and front wheel drive was the weird thing fancy sports cars did and not the other way around? I mean it makes sense, not having to bring the power from the engine at the front to the wheels at the back.

Maybe it was videogames? I swear whenever I flip a 2WD in a GTA game and I run the accelerator, it's always the rear wheels that spin. Meanwhile I've yet to flip a car IRL so I haven't had the opportunity to see.

Rear wheel drive cars have to have a tunnel for the driveshaft. It makes the middle seat extra awful.

Not that this is the reason to go FWD, but you’ll know when you’re in a RWD car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gaius Marius posted:

Netipots are bullshit.

How else would I get a brain‐eating amoeba? Surely you don’t expect me to swim in a fetid pond.