Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I had a childhood space heater with digital controls that I thought was really lovely. It would run for a little bit, then shut off due to overheating. I would set it to the lowest temperature to see if it could run longer, but would still shut off after not too long.

This week I bought a space heater. I went to set the temperature and realized that the temperature setting isn’t how hot you want the air to come out, it’s the temperature of the room at which you want the heater to shut off. It wasn’t overheating, it was shutting off when it reached the set temperature. Setting a lower temperature actually meant that the heater would shut off even quicker. I was using it wrong for years and years as a kid/teen. It’s something I truly can’t believe I just found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Rudyard Kipling’s The White Man’s Burden is not a satire. I was reading about U.S. imperialism, got to the part where Kipling was writing editorials in favor of subjugating the half-devil Filipinos, and had a moment where I had to go back and reread that poem.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

As someone who tried to not rinse and found that it is unpleasant to the point of not being worth it, this is how you all sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJzeURtk9Go

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 06:59 on Mar 21, 2020

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I’m from the U.S. and was very young at the time of the 2003 invasion of Iraq. We were never taught about the Iraq war in school, even in political or current events courses. I knew that the justification for the invasion was based on dubious evidence, but I was doing some reading recently and I was blown away.

Government officials repeatedly insinuating that this was payback in some way for the 9/11 attacks, the war being marketed in such a way that almost 90% of Americans believed that he had WMDs, the incompetently forged documents purporting to be evidence that Iraq was trying to buy yellowcake uranium and whose creators are still unknown! And images like this that the Secretary of State presented to the UN (it’s actually a hydrogen production facility):

I know this stuff is obvious to a lot of people who were paying attention at the time. It’s just sad and shocking to be learning about now.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Nicolas Cage’s real name is Nicolas Kim Coppola. He’s the nephew of Francis Ford Coppola, along with Jason Schwartzman.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I haven’t played Call of Duty, but the title of infamous level “No Russian” comes from an npc telling the squad not to speak Russian, it’s not just faux “Russian guy speaking broken English” telling them not to leave any Russians alive.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The S. in Ulysses S. Grant doesn’t stand for anything, but arose from a clerical error when he was enrolled at West Point. “Simpson” was in no way his middle name, just his mother’s maiden name.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I thought that the British word whinge was pronounced like whine and were different spellings of the same word. Not so! Whinging and whining cover different things apparently.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Oct 15, 2021

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

From a blog post I found:

Grammarphobia posted:

They come from two Old English words: “whine” from hwinan (to make a whizzing or humming sound, like an arrow in flight), and “whinge” from hwinsian (to make a sound like a dog whimpering). We probably get “whinny,” or horse talk, from the same root.

Both words are very old; “whine” dates from 1275 and “whinge” from 1150. Originally, “whine” referred merely to the sound. But “whinge” implied a wailing or crying: the sound was one of distress. Eventually, to “whine” also came to mean complain or express discontent.

Though Americans use only one word, “whine,” the British use both: “whining” covers a variety of meanings, including sounds made by people, animals, or inanimate objects, and “whingeing” (also spelled “whinging”) is more specifically for peevish or fretful complaining. The British sometimes use the terms together for emphasis: “Stop your whingeing and whining!”

Perhaps actual Brits would consider the two interchangeable nowadays.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Having never seen a joy buzzer, I fully believed that if you used it on someone they would get an electric shock. I've learned that it only just sort of vibrates. I have been tricked with a pen that shocks you before so I thought it was totally plausible.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

It's doubtful that Dorothy Parker wrote the poem that goes "After three I'm under the table, after four I'm under the host". Apparently there are a million things misattributed to her.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The term "mother of all X" only became widely known among English-speakers in the 1990s when Saddam Hussein said that the Gulf War Coalition's involvement would lead to the mother of all battles. "Mother of all battles" was an existing phrase in Arabic dating to ~600CE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

In all their copy Carmela is referred to as a zombie. Looking at her character design I'd actually say she's more of a Frankenstein's monster type.

The Carmilla connection is not convincing but you can have your headcanon it's ok

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Oct 14, 2023