Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Ugh to both of those. I can not deny Tonight Tonight Tonight, I Don’t Care Anymore, No Son of Mine, and so on, but those two songs right there make me throw my hands up and agree with people who discount Collins wholesale.

It’s worth pointing out that Tonight Tonight Tonight and No Son of Mine are both Genesis songs, and IIRC both are more collaborative efforts by the band, rather than from Collins’ solo career.

His solo stuff has some good parts, but having listened to them recently they’re a bit overhyped and meh overall, while the Genesis albums from the same era are almost always better and rarely have huge flaws, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
1 hit wonder, I assume.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Beachcomber posted:

When I was a kid I thought he was kicked out of heaven.

This is something I can't figure out, but has me :tinfoil: and I'm not sure where to post it.

I was watching I Love Lucy, something I haven't done in at least 20 years. Fred says, "Are you kidding?! These cost $6.60!"

This led to me wondering how much that is in 2020 dollars, so I go to the info box and find out this episode was from 1954.

So I type "6.60 in" into Google and...

It's enough to make you want to get off the grid.

FWIW, I searched the same thing out of curiosity and got the exact same results, and I don’t think I’ve ever watched a single episode of I Love Lucy. It might just be a popular autocomplete based on that episode. :shrug:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Phy posted:

When I lived farther north than I do now, we'd put tinfoil on our windows in the summer to completely block out the sun. Gotta sleep somehow.

It’s not just a northern thing, but a pretty common old option for room darkening anywhere. I live in Florida and my dad did that for a while when I was a kid and he was working overnights.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’ve never understood people who enjoy daylight savings time sun. I do not need it to be still just “dusk” at 10pm

Where is it still dusk or any kind of light at 10pm aside from like Alaska or places similarly far north/south?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Silver Falcon posted:

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks. I grew up in the one state in my country that doesn't do Daylight Savings (Arizona), so I don't often think of the broader implications, even though I'm fairly used to changing the clock by now.

I still think DST is loving stupid and should be abolished.

Yeah, with my question before I hadn’t even thought about people on the edges of a time zone where the day light hours might be even more odd, I was purely thinking north/south stuff.

I’m the opposite and hate standard time. I’m right in the middle of the Eastern time zone in Florida, so during DST in the summer it’ll stay light out till 7:30ish, compared to like 5:30 during standard time. My preference is I’d rather it be lighter later in the evening than earlier in the morning, as much due to weather stuff as for the actual light out.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I only knew of him as a mediocre comedian. I remember him and Doug Stanhope being the hosts for the last season of The Man Show and being just awful. Admittedly, I had no interest in UFC, and only found out he was the host of Fear Factor when he appeared in the Chappelle’s Show skit about it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Jippa posted:

I didn't even think about it until I saw this tweet.

https://twitter.com/VaGyver/status/1359080831663407106

loving hell, :same:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Phosphine posted:

When I was growing up I had this theory that you could pretty accurately gauge the social status/richness of an area by looking at how long the world maps at school has the Soviet Union on them. I had this idea in about 2004, as both my current and previous school at the time did. I brought this up last year or something and my wife thought it was absurd that any school would have an incorrect map for so long, having grown up in a rich fancy suburb rather than a dying industrial town.

Last week she realized the maps at the school she works now still has the Soviet Union on them, and had to concede that maybe my school in 2004 did as well.

Hell, it could even vary within the same school. The high school I went to from 2004-2008 was originally built in like 1964, but added new buildings over time. The classrooms in the oldest building still had chalk boards, old school overhead slide projectors, and maps with USSR and whatnot. The newest building, which at that point was maybe just a year or two old when I started, had updated maps, white boards, projectors that could link to the computers, and in a few rooms, smart boards as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Sir Lemming posted:

Maybe we just ran in different circles, but AC/DC seemed to have a flatline of generic "classic rock" popularity for the past 3 decades. I always remember Back in Black being a thing. By the time Marvel got to it, it was almost kind of a punchline. Like a slightly more modern version of using "Bad to the Bone" when a guy puts on sunglasses.

Yeah, at least in the U.S., AC/DC has been on classic rock radio for over 30 years and appearing in TV and movies long before Marvel. They’ve basically always been in that kinda classic rock/dad rock category where you could buy shirts with their logo or Back in Black in any random Walmart or Target or wherever for the past 20+ years and the Simpsons were using Highway to Hell in episodes in the late 90s.

For something I just figured out (Or rather, just realized): Montell Jordan and Montel Williams are two different people.