Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Synchronized is just syn + chrono.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Calypso (the nymph, probably not the style of music) comes from the same root as "apocalypse", because the latter is literally "unveiling" and thus to "Revelation", thus to the book of Revelation, thus to the modern usage of "end of the world".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sweeperbravo posted:

A similar thing happened on Hey Arnold. Gerald's voice change was worked into the actual script, but Arnold's voice actor changed 4 times with no in-show acknowledgement. To be fair, I think most of us as kids didn't notice it unless someone else pointed it out.
ON MOONLIGHT BAAAAAY

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The opposite of "inept" isn't "ept", which is obviously not a word... but it is, in fact, adept.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

starkebn posted:

Yeah, family / town / location name pronunciations like that are the exact definition of shibboleth
Fun fact, the exact definition of shibboleth is literally the Hebrew word "shibbólet":

quote:

And the Gileadites took the passages of Jordan before the Ephraimites: and it was so, that when those Ephraimites which were escaped said, Let me go over; that the men of Gilead said unto him, Art thou an Ephraimite? If he said, Nay;
Then said they unto him, Say now Shibboleth: and he said Sibboleth: for he could not frame to pronounce it right. Then they took him, and slew him at the passages of Jordan: and there fell at that time of the Ephraimites forty and two thousand.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's a "CHI-lie" outside Rochester, NY. Because you couldn't pronounce Chili literally any other way.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Proteus Jones posted:

Except for that one song, it was... wait, no. It was about sex, too.
Some are about drugs! And a few are about the music itself (although admittedly usually how it relates to sex)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

rodbeard posted:

The book was actually kind of accurate with regards to how hosed up and cartoonishly evil the chocolate industry was and really it's only kind of gotten better.
They think they have a good union, but they don't. They're basically slaves.

(somehow that scene doesn't seem to be on YouTube, what the hell, it's from like season one of Futurama I just assumed everything from that far back was spliced out and posted to the internet)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elizabethan Error posted:

Depp isn't Gene Wilder, Burton's reliance on CGI is obnoxious to watch and blah blah blah exposition blah blah
I gotta admit I really enjoyed the pseudo-Bollywood number with all the Oompa Loompas because it was incredibly creepy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmzZaB0kss&t=94s

the whole idea of having them all played by one guy is really good for just being weird as hell and fitting with the general Wonka aesthetic

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm still not over Kilometers Davis.
Kilometers Gloriosus is my favorite Roman stock character.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pastry of the Year posted:

Wi-Fi stands for wiber-fiber :doh:
It's actually from the British wibby-fibby. Just like willawonks.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Man, what the gently caress is this?
Yeah, only one did 9/11

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

numerrik posted:

You mean a touk?
...is this a joke I'm missing or did you mean "toque"?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah we do the ABC song and our pronunciation of 'Z' does gently caress up the rhyming structure but we just go with it.
you just gotta sing with a guy named Ned or something

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

syscall girl posted:

I'm saying if you read it in a book it looks like it should be pronounced like "caught" much like "gaol" should have a hard 'g'
I made both of these mistakes as a young child! Also "epitome" as though it was a type of book. The Epi Tome.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flyball posted:

I knew that gaol meant the same thing as jail (because Mr. Toad got locked up), but thought that it was something like a weird spelling of goal.
There's a Genesis song with the line "a gaol can give you a goal" that I did not realize was supposed to be clever wordplay for years.

Soysaucebeast posted:

"Convoluted" for me. I knew the word "convulsed" so I thought it was con-vul-ted for the longest time. My dad made fun of me for years for that one.
My ex also made that mistake, but my favorite of hers (that I may have posted in here before) was the time she pronounced "facsimile" to rhyme with "chamomile".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hirayuki posted:

Camo-MEAL or camo-MILE? A good mispronunciation either way, though.
Camo-MEAL and fax-a-meal.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Unkempt posted:

While I'm at it, in English some cheese is blue. If you're not French it isn't 'bleu' for some loving reason.
if they haven't got a legal protection for it like "champagne" we're gonna take it :911:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh, the dwarves also all vanished one day. How? To where? Nobody has any drat idea. None. They started dicking around with some pretty crazy advanced stuff and then one day they just weren't around anymore. They built a god. They literally put together an artificial loving god on their own. This may or may not be related.
please don't disrespect my good friend Yagrum Bagarn

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mister Mind posted:

In the comic book “Watchmen,” young Jon Osterman is being trained by his father to literally be a watch man.
The page where Moloch calls the cops to tell them he knows where "Raw Shark" is is immediately followed by a Tales of the Black Freighter page with the shark eating the corpse raft.

(this isn't something I just figured out but I felt real smart when I figured out why he made that specific mispronunciation)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leon Sumbitches posted:

..... Go on.....
You didn't eat while you were asleep? You better break that fast.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
That's the opposite of my story about finding out the guy from MCR is also the guy who wrote Umbrella Academy. Might be more than one Gerard Way out there but I sure wouldn't know it :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just learned the Donkey Kong legendarium has a dedicated wiki
Did you see the page about The Great Ape War, also called the Kremean War, because that godawful name pun makes me laugh every time I think of it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ShimaTetsuo posted:

Quebec has a history of adapting american TV shows for our local audience and then having them be cancelled very quickly because no one watches them e.g. "La Job" (The Office) or SNL Quebec (this skit might look familiar) only lasted ~10 episodes each. Most people don't want to watch the knock-off version of anything if they know the original exists. The adaptation of Brooklyn 99 has not begun airing yet but who knows how long it will actually last.

In return we have provided the world with Just for Laughs: Gags, a prank show without any talking parts (thus easy to export), and "Un gars, une fille", a comedy based on common stereotypes of the differences between men and women which has been adapted in like every country (although not successfully in the US, I think).
https://twitter.com/chronoexpert39/status/1277785692240859136

don't be so down on yourself you've also provided us with Quebecois Boomhauer

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

bony tony posted:

Similarly, Butcher Pete is about fuckin
I honestly go back and forth on whether he is loving, serial killing, or both.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Carthag Tuek posted:

first.last@provider.com addresses are hilarious. It's crazy how many people dont appear to know their own email.

These days I mostly get some kid's signups for various online games, window cleaning invoices, & another kid's group projects for high school, but there was a period where I'd get a lot of mail intended for a fairly famous music producer. Mostly it was just various youtube/myspace artists who'd want me to take a look & I would make really bad remixes of their songs, but one time Lindsay Lohan's personal assistant emailed me:
I literally got this far into the post and started going "na na na nana na nana, sla-sla-sla-slaaaap it" from memory, you're great :allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sucrose posted:

Something about the FBI investigating dirty lyrics really cracks me up. It's amazing how much American culture changed in 30-some years between say 1960 and 1990.
well, yes and no, since you picked a year before Tipper Gore, right?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Hygiene posted:

Much like in videogames, I will never trust anyone in real life who uses a constant-north map orientation rather than one facing relative to your own direction.
this is baffling to me because much like in video games, north is up

(never mind that I mentally orient myself on a map based on what direction I'd turn to go a way, the map itself has to be pointed so north is up)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hirayuki posted:

And then I went on to translate video games for SQEX, so a good deal all around.
what the gently caress how many square enix translation goons are there

unless you're the one that did the Dragon Quest 3 GBC port/DQ Monsters 1+2 and you got a name change

Seriously, there couldn't have been that many translators to begin with!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hyperlynx posted:

I always figured it was that old-timey usage of "making love", from when it didn't mean "loving".
similarly, later in the song he says "as a businessman slowly gets stoned", and means it in the antiquated sense of "drunk", the dude's not smoking weed with a waitress

(nixon made a joke juxtaposing the two definitions in public once to reporters but I cannot find the quote right now - that's right about when the turning point was where it fell out of use, too)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Silver Falcon posted:

Fffffffffffffffuck.

I was just playing Super Mario RPG with a friend. We fought the first boss. His name is Mack. He's as knife.

He's Mack the Knife.

gently caress ME I've played this game a million times how come I never cottoned to that. gently caress.
Bowyer is both a bow himself and makes arrows

Yaridovich has a spear for a head, named after a traditional Japanese spear

weirdly, the Axem Rangers only wield axes and fly around on an axe-shaped ship rather than being axes

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Splendid posted:

Wait for it, guys...
I actually learned this via wikipedia diving like a month ago or else, right now, it'd be me who just figured that out.

Sorry to spoil the entire thread by learning random facts too early.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Internet Cliche posted:

Many of the “old” cities in the US that were settled in the 1600s likely still have some cobbled streets. I know Richmond does, other likely candidates are Boston, Philly, Charleston, probably Baltimore.
Hell, Pittsburgh still has a few kicking around.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Chuck Grassley is a shill for the agricultural industry.
Please, you missed the obvious connection with his name:
https://twitter.com/ChuckGrassley/status/627163793412374528

for some reason the second tweet image is not loading but

The man has the absolute most insane lawnmower setup on Earth

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Failed Imagineer posted:

Grassley spent many long hours at Dairy Queen researching u kno what (advanced lawnmower engineering)
I genuinely want to know what "u kno what" is, and if it doesn't make it immediately obvious why DQ is a good place for it, I want to know that too. Why aren't reporters asking the hard hitting questions?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

credburn posted:

"Your equipment have been returned."
this is wrong

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

3D Megadoodoo posted:

ee: actually, it might just be that back in 2017 Americans had much less registered firearms than now :shrug:
very skeptical of this, because it's not like firearms got any more illegal between then and now and the post-Obama gun spike had already fully happened

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Splendid posted:

Sense of "dealer in stolen goods" is thieves' slang, first attested c. 1700, from notion of such transactions taking place under defense of secrecy.
huh I always figured it was cockney rhyming slang or something

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have news for you about Panoramix and Abraracourix and Agecononix and you know what let's just say all the characters who aren't historical or roman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:lol: @

"Birds can eat plants that would kill a mammal, and plants that would kill a mammal can eat birds."
ah yes, a Venus Flying Trap