Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Lady Disdain posted:

You must live in a city, because ours definitely do not do this. I still have to stand there looking at the list of produce items like a loving idiot when I forget what a zucchini is called.

A courgette?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You will take the British names for things out of expat boomer parent’s cold dead hands.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
UKMT goons are just discovering that you can freeze cheese. So; you can freeze cheese. With your chedders and whatnot it’s best to put several blocks through a food processor with grating attachment before freezing as a time saver.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not recommended for over three months, so is it even worth doing?

Lol cheese keeps in the freezer for years, this three months thing will go back to the now mythical “freezer burn” which is where you allow something to get welded to the side of a chest freezer and that can happen in a week if you are unlucky. Modern freezers with draws don’t give food freezer burn.

For years and years people were “rotating food” and throwing it out based on arbitrary dates agreed upon by the people selling whatever type of food it was for no reason whatsoever, just decades and decades of unnecessary food waste.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

zedprime posted:

You can eat whatever you like from your freezer over whatever time frame. It's just going to suck if it's been more than 3-6 months especially if you are using a freezer that opens like a door. The solution to this isn't complain about the corporations trying to gently caress you, the solution is don't buy more than you want to eat drunk on the power of forever-freezer.

Provided it’s been frozen properly it’s years. Honest to god this is like the conversation I had with my Nan who didn’t want to accept she’d been throwing away perfectly good food for decades.

Check out the use by date on supermarket own brand veg for example, it will be at least 2 years in the future, where as your Birdseye will be a year, both dates are pulled out of thin air - so long as the bag does not stick to the side of anything and you don’t keep opening and closing the door so ice builds up and they end up entombed Everything will be fine.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a chest freezer because I’m genuinely poor and it’s cheaper to run the freezer and only buy things in season, or fresh at a massively reduced price because they are at the end date, and freeze them, than it is to shop like a normal person. You use a massive chest freezer for this because existing for a week on one thing you found dirt cheap, like pizzas at 10p each is depressing as chuff.

My Nan grew her own food and was unbelievably pissed off when she found out that throwing hedgerow blackberries out after three months was bullshit.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m slightly concerned about this fellow’s freezer tbh, are my kids constantly in there searching for ice lollies and not closing the door?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m the one with food insecurity though? How is me preventing a block of 25p cheese from being wasted by grating and freezing it causing more food waste? I was never going to buy that same block of cheese at £4, I was just going to eat less food, so therefore me getting it from the discount fridge does not change demand and supply.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Captain Hygiene posted:

There's a cabin air filter sitting behind my car's glove compartment that's completely different from the engine air filter I regularly replace :psyduck:

Can't wait to see what it looks like two decades after buying the car :ohdear:

My parents refused to believe that their air conditioning filter and gas bottle needed periodically changing on a car they owned for 20 years. Because they had air conditioning no windows were allowed to be opened under any circumstances because “the back of my neck gets cold when I’m driving”.

They built up a resistance to the stench and fumes, my then 4 year old had not, and vomited all over the back of my mother’s head as she was driving.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ford Focus have a bottle for R134 refrigerant which needs topping up (and changing if you haven’t filled it for 20 years) If you don’t then I’m not sure what gets pumped round the car but it smelled like petrol fumes and wet dog.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Another beloved favourite

Blast. I have been spied.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“Why does google always give me American measurements” I ask with a shelf full of cookery books.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Just reading a very old novel and god drat I get it now.

“The penny drops” is a shortened version of “the light will come on when the penny drops” - you would put a penny in the meter and the gas lighting would come on.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s mam as in ham when addressing the queen mother the second time you meet her, the first time it’s your majesty.

Mam in Newcastle, and parts of the north, is your mother
Mum in the south and if you are posh is your mother

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wonder if all the gin embalmed her.

My favourite story about her (the queen mother) is that she was secretly pro-gay rights, and let it be known to the Household Cavalry that it was well known gay men couldn’t grow moustaches *wink wink* so the guard became a haven for gay men who identified themselves to each other with glorious moustaches.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Marvel happened, suddenly you couldn’t get away from back in black and shoot to kill which aren’t their best work by a long shot, just the most popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKlO0hM-zMw

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Pocket Billiards posted:

You can't really trust what Australians to get the names of foods right, i.e. what the Boomers with Women's Weekly cookbooks interpretation of 'Chow Mein' is.

Counterpoint; bread spread with oleo dipped in a cup measurement of sprinkles is just wrong.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Really good bread with little dipping pots with expensive balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and lemon olive oil in them is a perfect no effort fancy starter.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Here's one.

Cobbled streets?

Is it only the UK that has a yen for murdering the elderly each winter and making entire high streets completely inaccessible for wheelchair users or is this a global thing?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Carthag Tuek posted:

like a divider of cobblestones between flagstones on the sidewalk, parallel to the buildings/road. idk a good name for it. it's pretty common in Copenhagen

cobbled kerb stones :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
flagstone pavement with cobbled edges

My town centre is mostly cobbled and I seem to have absorbed this information over the years.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
you could always be from my town where they started out as some sort of design in the year 1234 AD* but ended up as cobbles with uncountable different pattens and pathways cutting across them over the centuries.

*no really, that's the actual date

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I know the drama behind this song owing to a misspent youth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzBZmQHygRY

My mate B, has himself a taste for the ladies. Has one baby momma "V" he's truly in love with, and has got her and this other girl pregnant within days of each other. He is now absolutely bricking it because he is hearing from both women that they are going to the same maternity classes. Meanwhile, girls 3 and 4 have a huge fight over who he belongs to at a house party, and girl 3 throws girl 4 into a fireplace so hard the chimney comes crashing down on her. She then writes the above song.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXYa_qklKPc

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
KLF once turned a tank into a sonic speaker and killed every cow for a mile in a straight line.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Friend of mine spend 10 years having IVF, finally has her baby, names him "Lucius", the year before Harry Potter comes out.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My grandmas liked each others first names so much that they swapped

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Full stops and double spacing just means you got taught to use a mechanical typewriter at school.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

FreudianSlippers posted:

I learned typing on a mechanical typewriter and don't remember double spacing at all.

The thing is that the 1970s/80s/90s mechanical typewriters we used didn't need double spacing, but the older versions our teachers learned on did, so that's what we were taught.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Baron von Eevl posted:

What these other posters said, but also "betwixt" makes you sound like a prick.

We use betwixt and mayhaps, because this area still uses middle English in day to day language. For reference, Sean Bean.

"is it now?"
"Aye mayhaps it is duc"
"eeeeeeeeeeeeee"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I live near Buxton and Matlock baths.

One part naturally heated waters, another part because it's now a Victorian business area based on how pure and clean the water is, they stopped people dumping rubbish/poo poo upstream and made farmers move livestock away. So it's infinitely better for you than the cholera ridden regular water.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The single carriage is the least of Derbyshire's train problems, I post as I prepare to walk my dogs along the old railway line that used to connect the two halves of Derbyshire to each other.

You got to do this weird pinball thing where you bounce off Derby/Nottingham/Sheffield/Manchester to go 20 miles down the road.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It has the greatest antiques/brick a brack store in the country and the Sainsbury's has a working steam engine line platform next to it. It's not bad for a (single) day out.

https://www.matlockantiques.co.uk/

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Pinch punch first of the month and no returns

Said my dad as he wakes his 5 year old in the morning

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
How can people have missed the wellerman thing in lockdown? Lad does the wellerman on ticktock, another person comes along and adds bass, it goes viral as more and more people add themselves to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsurPg9Ckw

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I believe I may have the answer to your confusion. The Scottish call them "nads" which is what Mrs Doubtfire was, It could have been in the cinema version and changed by people who knew what it meant for VHS, or Williams may have said it in character while doing the talk shows.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2016/07/24/the-mandela-effect/

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

postmodifier posted:

I literally just watched all 3 of them back to back to back last night and I can straight up just say no, no.

Iron man 2 is bar none the best thing the entire series has produced, across all five phases and beyond

Best jokes, best throughput, mickey rourke is a treasure, you get the one-off, it's a gorgeous bird

I've argued this in other places but mark my words, when George Lucas finally dies and Jon Favreau completely subsumes lucasfilm, we're gonna see some real goddamn 70s-rear end good cinema coming our way

The Jungle Book is loving extraordinary. The kid and Jon Favreau just made something magical together. People bitch about it and call it woke because they changed the elephants but the story is far darker than the first Disney one and ends up with a old school bambi vibe to it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you haven't watched ant man or ant man and the wasp yet then I'd give it a miss tbh.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Follow this language evolution chain and it will make you feel better.

I’d tap that (water supply, because it looks like good clean water)
That lady is a cool glass of water (1920s)
I’d tap that
I’d hit that

At some point tapping and hitting started being used to mean to ask for money/high value thing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Hyperlynx posted:

For twenty years, I've been pronouncing "Kharaa" (from the game Natural Selection) roughly like how I'd pronounce the name Cara.

I've just heard it pronounced for the first time in Subnautica: Below Zero, and it turns out the emphasis is on the second syllable.

I'm northern english and both these things are pronounced the same???