Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

In The Lion King, when Scar says "I was next in line, until the little hairball was born" he's not contradicting his previous statement about not being there for Simba's presentation. He means he was next in line for succession.

Only took me 21 years...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Intoluene posted:

I just realised that "jet" as in "jet black" refers to lignite. Not some kind of paint used on jet planes.

I was going to correct you and say it refers to the gemstone, jet, not to coal, but it turns out the gemstone is lignite :aaaaa:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just realised last night that Salt-N-Pepa are not TLC. Not even remotely similar, other than both comprising American black ladies.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

syscall girl posted:

Learn something new every day.

Cumming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cummingtonite too.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dr_Amazing posted:

When people have been discussing the movie "Room" they aren't talking about the movie "the room".

They're not talking about http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258000/ either :|

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That sound in "Jump Around" by House of Pain isn't a distorted scream, it's a squeal on a trumpet or some other brass instrument.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mondegreens are the best. I also thought that guy was talking about the linen. And I got a lot of other songs wrong:

• "pre-notice on your home loan type records" The Motown Song - Rod Stewart
  • "Big old Jack and Lino. Don't care if he too far away" Jet Airliner - Steve Miller Band
  • "lay me down in sheets of lead" Tiny Dancer - Elton John
  • "but the jailor's not my son" Billy Jean - Michael Jackson

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Mar 12, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

When the Rain War shares you clean, you'll know. Dreams - Fleetwood Mac

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Mar 12, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sucrose posted:

Holy poo poo. Same.

Oh THAT song! I can't make out a single word. It might as well be https://youtu.be/-VsmF9m_Nt8

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 10:55 on Mar 11, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Michael Jackson didn't
"burn my message in the side of the sun" either :(

(Billy Jean)

You Are A Elf posted:

It's sampled from Junior Walker and the All Stars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya2ZGuGqDx8

Haha awesome. Nice to get confirmation.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Mar 12, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

rodbeard posted:

Could you guys at least say what the song is you're mishearing. Some of you are so far off that I can't tell

Ok.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ninjahedgehog posted:

People listening to The Devil went Down to Georgia always complain that the Devil's awesome rock and roll song was way better than Johnny's generic fiddle solo, and they would be right, except that you never actually hear the songs that Johnny played. That fiddle part in the middle isn't his song, it's just an instrumental break. Instead, Charlie Daniels just kinda tells you what he played:

He played Fire on the Mountain, run, boys, run
Devil's in The House of the Rising Sun
Chicken in the bread pan pickin' out dough (apparently this isn't actually a named song, but some sort of square dance patter thing)
Granny Does Your Dog Bite? No, child, no

Eh whatever, I like the Guitar Hero cover better. Although the Devil's solo is still the best bit.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

YeahTubaMike posted:

Manic Street Preachers = street preachers who are manic, not preachers who preach exclusively on Manic Street. :doh:

I've always liked the story that they got their name from getting into an argument with a passerby while busking, who asked "what are you, some kind of manic street preacher?"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just realised last night that the Nintendo 64 controller has an A button, B button, C arrows and a D pad. I could never figure out why D - it's ABCD!... And also R, L and Z, but E F G would have been a stretch.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Christo posted:

I seem to remember it being called a d-pad back in the NES and SNES days too.

fake edit: Wikipedia says the Sega first coined the term "D button" for the cross on their Genesis controller which also had A, B and C buttons, so you're kind of right?

real edit: +Control Pad was the official name on the Famicom/NES.

Well drat. At least I'm satisfying the "questionable etymology" angle.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fagtastic posted:

The druid from the Asterix books is called getafix.

Get a fix.

Because he makes the DRUGS.

:aaa:

Xun posted:

I've recently figured out how the "have your cake and eat it too" phrase even works. It's not having a cake and then eating it, which is perfectly reasonable, it's trying to eat a cake but still have one at the same time :downs:

:aaaaa:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't know the depths of his religious beliefs but he doesn't strike me as someone who bothers with kosher rules.

Lots and lots of Jews don't fully keep kosher but specifically don't eat pig because it's non kosher.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

stubblyhead posted:

Avoiding shellfish is easy, because shellfish is gross. Pork is awesome, but I could probably manage without it. But no meat and dairy in the same meal? Even poultry and eggs? Cmon God, your killing me here.

I grew up not eating pig, shellfish, and avoiding cheeseburgers. Bacon/pork/whatever tastes disgusting to me - too much salt and fat. I think if you don't grow up eating greasy, fatty, oily, fatty fat fat bacon then you just don't get used to it.

But goddamn, prawns are absolutely delicious. A bit weird looking but holy poo poo do they taste good.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Uh, ok. Do you have a better idea of why it tastes disgusting to me, then?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

FFT posted:

1. "salt and fat" is what has always made things delicious since long long long before the advent of MSG.

2. i dunno man do you have a problem with the texture or the ethics?

Kay.

It tastes revolting to me because it is too salty and too fatty. I don't know how much clearer I can be. Different people have different tastes in food, and that's all there is to it. Sorry I don't like the same food you do. What do you care anyway?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's difficult to describe just how little I care about food products made from pigs. I regret even mentioning it, now.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

sweeperbravo posted:

In Baby Got Back, one of the lines is "Rumple-smooth-skin," you know, like Rumplestiltskin. I always just thought it was a weird phrase and didn't realize til a day or two ago it's a play on words.

Are you sure it's not "rump o' smooth skin"?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ted Raimi and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are two totally separate people.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Geirskogul posted:

Good to know.

:psyduck: No, it really is smoked salmon.

Liquid oxygen + creamcheese isn't nearly so good on bagels.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

Even empty books (i.e. notebooks) can have ISBN:s. Don't exactly know why though.

Do they have Dewey Decimal numbers though?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

doodlebugs posted:

No one knows what causes gravity.

Nobody knows what causes anything...

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Now, I'm no big city lawyer, but I always thought it was caused by atoms sticking together in large enough quantities to distort the space-time continuum.

...but this is a good explanation that fits all observed evidence, so it is our current "best fit" for the truth. And that's how Science works.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Jasmine and lavender are two totally separate plants that have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

E: nm, same joke twice really

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bertrand Hustle posted:

In German, you just say "und so weiter", which means "and so on". English is a fiend for loan words like no other.

I'm not sure Latin terms count as loan words

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fugazi and Fugees are two separate bands.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's just the names. I don't think I've ever actually heard any song by Fugazi, or anything by the Fugees other than Killing Me Softly on the radio. So I when I'd hear or read some offhand mention of Fugazi I'd think "oh, they did that cover Killing me Softly, didn't they? They were ok".

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I was 1

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Seen this in multiple threads now: how can you be an adult for multiple years without ever having had rum? Did you recently leave the Amish community?

Lots of people don't drink, those that do don't necessarily drink spirits/mixers/cocktails, those that do haven't necessarily tried rum. :shrug:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fo3 posted:

Everyone in Australia should know about rum. Kids these days...
For a long time rum was the only spirit distilled here
Oh right. The Rum Rebellion and all that.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hardcordion posted:

I was going to suggest that you might've been thinking of "expediate" but apparently that's not even a word and I was thinking of expedite.

I think the word you're all looking for is "expeditious". It means "done quickly and efficiently".

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

om nom nom posted:

Ha up until now I always thought the term was "Jerry rig". Like some guy named Jerry fixed things in a half assed way so often that a term was named after him or something. Not that I've ever given it much thought, but this is the first time I've seen that term written. I've been saying it wrong my whole life.

No, you're not wrong. They're two pretty similar, related terms. "Jerry rigged" refers to "Jerry the German", in the sense of a wartime name for the dude you're fighting (like "Charlie" for the Viet Cong). Until I googled, I thought "Jury rigged" was the derivative, but it's actually the origin, though "Jerry rigged" developed through the two world wars. Source: http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/132868/jury-rigged-or-jerry-rigged.

Anyway, I maintain that "expedient" means "done as conveniently and quickly as possible, sacrificing efficiency, orthodoxy or even morals as necessary". So a thing that was built "field expedient" would be "it might not be built to proper building regulations, or aesthetically pleasing, but it does the job so it's good enough", with the implication of "because we're in the middle of a loving war, so perfection takes a back seat".

Another example is the very excellent satire of Wernher von Braun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro, a German WW2 rocket scientist who was an instrumental part of the V2 rockets that bombed London, and then became an instrumental part of NASA's efforts to beat the Russians to the moon. The song says "A man whose allegiance is ruled by expedience. Call him a Nazi, he won't even frown". As in, he found it convenient to quickly change loyalty from Nazi Germany to the USA, and critics and satirists found this questionable.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Mar 11, 2017

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Pelicans and albatrosses are two totally separate kinds of bird.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just found out that not only is Popcorn not by Röyksopp, they've never covered it, and it was actually from 1969. I thought it was way more recent than that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Powaqoatse posted:

But did you also realize that Gershon Kingsley (who wrote Popcorn) also wrote Swan's Splashdown (with Jacques Perrey) from which Smashmouth took the riff for their breakthrough hit Walkin' on the Sun?

Listening to Swan's Splashdown now...

No, I've never heard this bef.... oh holy gently caress, yes I have. In Lemmings, which pinched most of its melodies from elsewhere. I always assumed it was some classical piece or something!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF3vMAmEnsY&t=1927s