Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bewilderment posted:

Surely in such a situation you'd actually want the biggest, most absorbent, wingiest pads you can get rather than 'regular'.

Humphreys posted:

Just lick your fingers, geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Eeeeh......

quote:

from Old French filatiere (12c.) and directly from Medieval Latin philaterium, from Late Latin phylacterium "reliquary," from Greek phylacterion "safeguard, amulet; a post for watchmen," noun use of neuter of adjective phylaktērios "serving as a protection," from phylaktēr "watcher, guard," from phylassein "to guard or ward off," from phylax (genitive phylakos) "guardian, watcher, protector," a word of unknown origin; Beekes writes that, based on the suffix -ax, "the word may well be pre-Greek."

They both guard your soul, in a way - and it'd kinda defeat the purpose of a lich's phylactery to go tying it to their person :)

Very odd word choice though. I wouldn't guess it was inspired by his scholarly understanding of Latin.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

On the one side, the word 'phylactery' has several meanings outside of Judaism and more than one within D&D, if you really wanna dive deep.

On the other side, the in-game meaning refers specifically to an amulet worn as a ward and was almost definitely inspired by tefillin; using that word for the box an unkillable evil wizard's soul lives in is probably a symptom of something dreadful, yeah.

flakeloaf has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Sep 28, 2020

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

I'd be keen to hear examples. I've only ever seen lich-derived ones, myself. Eg https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/Implants#Phylactery . I'd be surprised if Daybreak Games even knew Gygax invented it, let alone that it's not merely a "resurrect the (un)dead" thing.

A FR Wiki entry certainly makes it sound as though the lich source is the original, if you approach it while on the hunt for a smoking wand:

quote:

In D&D, a phylactery was first mentioned in relation to a lich in the 1st-edition Monster Manual (1977), but from this it is not clear what the phylactery is or why it is necessary. In 1979, "Blueprint For A Lich" in Dragon #26 first detailed the process of achieving lichdom, but referred instead to a "jar"; it's not clear if this is meant to be the same as the phylactery or not. This jar concept takes after numerous legends and stories of mages and villains who store their souls, hearts, life, or death in some object in order to cheat death. According to research by Buzz, here, the Endless Quest gamebook Lair of the Lich (1985) was the first to link the lich's phylactery to the soul-jar concept, perhaps based on a misunderstanding of what a phylactery is. Since then, the term "phylactery" seems to have become generally associated with liches and soul jars, both within D&D and across fantasy fiction. It wasn't until the 3rd-edition Monster Manual (2000) that the typical lich's phylactery was described in terms inspired by the various real-world historical phylacteries.

In D&D, the term "phylactery" is also used for various magical items worn on the head associated with morale and alignment. See phylactery (religious item) for more information

The article stops generously short of equating the soul jar with the aforementioned-but-conveniently-undescribed phylactery; in this day and age I think it's fair to presume those are one and the same. The Lair of the Lich story is corroborated by RPG Museum, who ascribes the story to prolific fantasy writer Bruce Algozin, a man whom Google tells me isn't associated with accusations of antisemitism.

quote:

Games like D&D often use the term phylactery for soul jars. However, this term also refers to the tefillin, leather boxes that contain script from the Torah and are ceremonial objects in Judaism. As such, using the term for an evil artifact is potentially (if accidentally) anti-Semitic. The term phylactery was first used with respect to liches in the 1st edition Monster Manual in 1977, but at that time it was a passing reference as an item that allowed liches to retain their minds and free will in undeath. The term was tied explicitly to soul jars in an Endless Quest book (choose your own adventure book) called Lair of the Lich by Bruce Algozin

RPGM also claims that the original 1977 D&D phylactery was "a passing reference as an item that allowed liches to retain their minds and free will in undeath", and points out that D&D is the only tabletop RPG to use the word "phylactery" to describe a lich's soul jar.

The other in-universe items called phylacteries (e.g., the Phylactery of Some Desirable Trait) were headbands that people tied around their foreheads to do magic with. The FR Wiki describes exactly as one would describe a real-world Jewish tefillah, before going full-yikes on us:

quote:

Two kinds of phylactery were common. The first were wrappings inscribed with holy text or verses, while the second were small containers of any shape or size (such as a tube or a small black box). They were typically worn tied around the forehead or wrist, or wrapped around the upper arm or thigh. They were usually small enough to concealed in one's hand or about one's person if the wearer feared theft. A phylactery itself typically had no magical and little monetary value. Rather, its value lay in the importance of its contents to the wearer's faith, or its own intrinsic value. However, a number of phylacteries were noted for their magical power. Such magical items were usually worn around the head and were associated with morale and alignment.

Notoriously, liches stored their life-forces or souls in items also called phylacteries. A common form of lich's phylactery resembled the traditional phylactery in some respects, being a box containing strips of parchment bearing magical phrases, but they could really take any form whatsoever

Bruh.

TL;DR, it would appear that Bruce Algozin, while writing the fantasy that inspired TTRPGs and vice-versa, connected the two terms and TSR game designers just ran with it, and somewhere along the lines a soul jar became a box with prayers inside it, literally equating Jewish tefillin with the box that holds the remnant of a usually-evil wizard's soul. I'm not sure where Algozin got the word from or why he chose to use it, but with that out there, I'll guess he wishes he hadn't.

flakeloaf has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Sep 28, 2020

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

See my edit, specifically the part about the polyvalent meaning of 'phylactery' literally defining a lich's soul jar as an object fitting the description of a tefillah

:yikes:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Now we just need a photo of Kirsten Dunst with a headband that has a picture of Howard Cosell inside.

For content: It's "one AND the same", as in, we count one, then we count and to lead us to another thing, and point at the thing we just counted to draw emphasis to its oneness. "One IN the same", as in, it's a thing contained completely inside of another that is identical, makes no grammatical sense and is a mistake created by poor enunciation.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Oh yeah he was very likely racist against Indigenous people and a bit too fond of colonist war criminals; I was more interested in who else's hands were on the wheel when that particular decision was made, since TSR did not spring forth fully-formed from his bearded gob in a single movement.

Also, "phylactery" appears to be an exonym with no real purpose, since "tefillin" is unambiguous to Jews and Gentiles alike, and is perfectly pronounceable in an otherwise-English sentence even if its declension doesn't follow English rules. I declare it to be a silly word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7HaQGnJnsE

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

That question comes up a lot in discussions of who is "Indigenous" in the context of the First Nations in what is now Canada. One popular way of looking at it is to say it's not enough for you to claim a nation, but that the nation must also claim you. Implicit in that perspective is that it's not for someone who isn't in the nation to make the call one way or the other, so anyone lacking that cred is cordially invited to go mind his own business.

Phlegmish posted:

Hmm. I can see that argument. This is not really the thread to have a discussion like this, but my take it on is that 'cultural appropriation' tends to get used as an umbrella term on the Internet for two (probably more) very different types of behavior (though always relating to objects/aesthetics since the people who love to use the term generally have a shallow, childlike understanding of human culture as a concept), and the key is to distinguish between the two.

Maybe this is semantic drift, but I always figured that first definition was just plain wrong.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Invoking the First Nations is something I probably shouldn't have done without a preamble, because the spectre of genocidal colonialism (which i guess is just called colonialism) colours today's interactions between "them" and "us". There's probably no good way for the genocider to emulate their victims, even if there's an admirable trait or practise that really speaks to you and inspires you to emulate them. It's a special case with a whole bunch of special cases inside, and is distinct from, let's say, a guy deciding to parade around in a hanbok and insist people call him Brayden-nim because he heard a bangin k-pop album and once had a whole mouthful of kimchi without coughing. And if that leads to the question about whether the descendents of colonizers "may" emulate other cultures who've been the victim of their imperialism in the past, the safest place to wait until someone from that group's had a say is "well not really, nah".

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

RoboRodent posted:

Yeah, this is why I keep waving off people who tell me I should sell my homemade kimchi at the farmer's market! No, I'm so white I burn through SPF 50, I'm not going to present myself as a kimchi expert in public. That's embarrassing to even think of.

That, and selling it seems like a lot of time and effort I don't have.

I just like kimchi!

Just brand it as WE COOK Kimchi and you'll be good to go.

(The Korean word for 'foreigner' is oe-geuk-ig, and because westerners are bad at pronouncing Korean consonants, our tendency to say "oe-keuk" inspires a running joke at our expense)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

Can I get more details on this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Creek_massacre

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

vdarknight posted:

But it's what I listened to all my life and am baffled that I can't like it, 'cos some gatekeeper fuckwit says I have no claim. Never had ownership, but it is the sound of my history and gently caress all y'all telling me I can't have that.

Nobody here is saying that and nobody out there who says it is worth listening to.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Brits never wash their tea pots with washing-up liquid because they literally haven't discovered "rinsing" yet lmao.

"Rinsing-up liquid? Like, from the toilet?"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

David is tall. Very tall.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's also a good counterexample for when you see the Mona Lisa and realize it just looks kinda small and dingy in person.

The apex of Paris Syndrome.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Phy posted:

It bothers me that the other words I can think of right now that use this construction are "sleep" and "prison"

One also goes to class, practice and ground.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Don't feel bad. I didn't recognize Catherine O'Hara's Moira Rose as Delia Deetz, even though they're basically the same character.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My experience with so-called JRPGs and so-called computer RPGs in general is that absolutely no harmful spell that doesn't do direct damage via fire or whatever works at all, ever, against anyone. So I just completely ignore them in any such game.

e: If anyone knows a game where a "scare" or "confuse" type spell actually works on an enemy you actually can fight in the game, please tell me.

Charm, sleep and hold magic did work in FF4 and 6, but it was usually more expedient to just kill the enemies outright. Also, your only source of CC magic was typically your healer, and if you're getting the poo poo kicked out of you then you might not have the turn to spend not-healing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Dragonlord in Dragon Warrior 1 is not immune to sleep or stopspell, in either of his forms.

The last boss of the entire game can be CCd. Whoopsie.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

just looking for someone tefillin this person on the last few days of content

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

If you enter all four numbers one after another, would it be a conquaternation?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

So then a conifer is someone who brings you a funnel

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The practice chanter is very good, and I'm told that a goose can help with learning breath control, but there's only one way to learn to tune drones. I'm nowhere near that part yet, my amazing grace is amazingly ungraceful and all the flowers in my forest have wilted away.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Samovar posted:

I'm sorry, I think you meant to post this.

What was the 13th century equivalent of the Seattle garage band?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Gotta convert all those paguins.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: Brussels is the most english name for a city ever. The bastard son of Brussel and Bruxelles.

The sort of name that makes you grind your teeth

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

1 posted:

It was the Heaviside layer for me - it just made so much sense to me that radio waves would bounce off this strange denser stratum of the atmosphere (obviously without stopping to wonder whether it made any sense at all for there to be a layer of "heavy air" floating 60 miles above the ground).

So the cats in Cats weren't choosing rebirth, they just wanted better reception?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Quiet Feet posted:

gently caress I would hate to live in that neighborhood.

Mainly because it'd take you forever to order a pizza.

"No, N-E-U-M. Ichneumonidae. Spelled exactly like it sounds."

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It's common to use Jewish ceremonial objects "wrong", to emphasize the difference between those things and the ordinary work you do with ordinary tools. Like when burying a body, those first few shovelfuls are dug with the spoon side of the shovel down, to distinguish that work from other things shovels do.

Why then did I need to be told by the internet that a Menorah is not a thing whose light you use to see in a dark place, read or work? It's there "to be enjoyed", not to be put to use.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Do you also call the 8 key the ( 8 [ key?

:shrug: we all called it run stop, like caps lock, or page up

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sound effects from the original X-Com UFO Defense (1996) continue to pop up as audio clip-art in TV, movies, radio and seemingly anywhere else people need techy bleep blop noises

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

Are you sure that's where they're from? Rather than just from some commercial sound effects library that they happened to use?

I know one of the "alien dying" sound effects shows up absolutely everywhere. Actually it showed up in Blake Stone as well, and that was... ...1993. So there you go.

See also: the sound Doom II's Icon of Sin makes when it shoots out a monster cube. I've heard it used elsewhere for a "sudden burst of fire" noise.

My dumb rear end put the game two years in the future, but yup that's still after Blake Stone came out. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn Microprose just licensed some sound files out of a library. I'd be less surprised to learn they'd just copied them :)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Captain Monkey posted:

Breadth is how much breadiness a thing has.

Or how many slices you can cut it into :tinfoil:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

God created English, and Noah Webster made it intelligible. My heart goes out to all the Angloinfected countries speaking an inferior tongue to standard American English

Noah Webster was a hack, and your regional dialect's stubborn refusal to stay inside the pit that spawned it is no problem whatsoever because dialects are cool and it's good to learn them

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The annunciation is Gabriel's announcement that Mary will give birth to the son of god; enunciation is saying words clearly and correctly; and elocution is saying them with the inflection that fits your meaning. I've always been bad at that last one: on video playback I always sound like I'm on the wrong side of the uncanny valley.

Fogerty's got nothin on Stevie Nicks. He's trying to put on a silly accent. She's just... like that.

e: Also, the original Louie Louie was perfectly intelligible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-2CKsaq5r8. Not really sure what the Kingsmen were going for.

flakeloaf has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Mar 17, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Bis-cuit. Cooked twice. That one's obvious enough, if you speak any French.

So is a Tris-cuit cooked... three times? Nope. The name just rolls off the tongue better than "electriscuit"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I'm not allowed to buy beschuit anymore because I go through them way too quickly

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I imagine the lungs of people not wearing corsets would have higher capacity

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Just call the DJ. They love talkin to the listeners, maaan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"Slut machine" was right there