Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I didn't JUST figure this out, but I was well into adulthood when I realized that the song "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" wasn't about someone's mom having an affair with Santa Claus. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mister Macys posted:

smdh stands for "shaking my drat head", and not, as I'd previously thought, " suck my dick, haters ".

I've almost never seen the abbreviation outside of yospos, so it took me a while to bother looking it up because my version almost always fits.

Similarly, I thought "ftfy" was "gently caress this, gently caress you."

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

syscall girl posted:

I knew someone who thought "ftw" meant "gently caress the world"

I thought this too. I am horrible at acronyms.

I also thought "hth" was "heart to heart." :ughh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

InediblePenguin posted:

What do you drink with dinner at home if not milk?

Nothing? We drank water/tea/orange juice throughout the day if we were thirsty, but we usually ate dinner by itself.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

InediblePenguin posted:

I think having no beverage at all with a meal sounds an awful lot weirder (in the "less standard across the population" sense, not as a value judgement) than drinking milk; but that's from a Land-O-Lakes White American perspective.

I didn't know about milk at dinner until I had dinner at a white friend's house. We had London broil, potatoes, mixed veggies, and salad...and milk. I thought it was utterly bizarre.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Manic Street Preachers = street preachers who are manic, not preachers who preach exclusively on Manic Street. :doh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Xun posted:

I've recently figured out how the "have your cake and eat it too" phrase even works. It's not having a cake and then eating it, which is perfectly reasonable, it's trying to eat a cake but still have one at the same time :downs:

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who was confused about this phrase.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
A stitch in time saves nine.

Meaning taking the time to fix a problem now prevents the problem from spiraling out of control so that you have to fix the even bigger problem later.

NOT meaning anything about the fabric of time being ripped & needing to be stitched together to prevent the annihilation of the universe.

:doh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Doggie dog
every day
on our mellow lawn we play

Smash was a wonderful album.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not to assume you're in the US, but I'm guessing you might be because by and large US sex and reproductive health education is terrible.

I'm a dude goon, and by US standards had relatively great sex ed in the 90s thanks to living in the liberal hell hole of New England and still was very uninformed about menstruation...not that I personally ever have to go through it, but knowing more would have saved me embarrassment and whatnot with future girlfriends.

For instance, it wasn't until college that I found out periods lasted days, and weren't just like 'oh, it's happening now and...it's done.' like a one time blood 'pee' for lack of a better analogy.

Like...I knew they could last several days to a week, but I thought that meant that at any point in those several days is when it will happen, and when it did you were done for that month, not that it's possibly a drat near constant flow for that entire time.

1) I went to eight different public schools, and I received sex ed at none of them. Thankfully my mom taught me what I needed to know, in a normal, non-creepy, non-abstinence-focused, "only do it when you're ready, and use protection" kind of way.

2) If you grew up in a household with at least one uterus-haver, how on earth did they hide their days-long periods from you?

Turpitude II posted:

some incredibly lucky people have theirs last for two straight weeks at a time, every time :shepface:

Or, you know, five. :smithicide: I'm going to my gyno soon because this poo poo is hosed.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

DrBouvenstein posted:

Cause I wasn't really paying attention? Why would I? I wasn't about to pick through a bathroom trash can to check on those used pads/tampons.

Besides which, my mom had me later in life, so by the time I really knew that periods were a thing at all, she was already post-menopausal, and my sister is the oldest and almost ten years older than me, so right around the same time was when she left for college.

Huh, well I guess that does make sense.

edit: for the record, my mom had me when she was 20, so I guess I just assume everyone's mom had them young

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Sep 10, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Shibawanko posted:

back in japan i had my dog spayed by the vet, after the surgery my wife asked if she could see the ovaries because she was curious, at which point the vet warned me specifically that because im a man, i might be terrified and disgusted by the sight and i was like lol no why would i be

The vet was warning you about being terrified/disgusted SPECIFICALLY about the sight of ovaries and not simply about bloody disembodied pet organs? :psyduck:

Hyperlynx posted:

Speaking of bad menstruation education for men: when NASA was sending up their first female astronaut, Sally Ride, they asked her whether 100 tampons would be enough. For her seven day mission. When she told them that was overkill, they ignored her and packed that many just in case.

(Well, they were not just dumb but also sexist, but anyway)

In my experience, it's far FAR better to have too many than too few. I just know that if it had been me and someone asked me if 100 tampons were enough, I'd be like "lol of course", and then I would end up trapped in space needing 101 tampons.

Did she even have her period during that mission though?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why don't you ask her?

Because I don't have any way to contact her, especially since she's dead. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Today I learned that Howard Cosell is dead. :geno:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Henchman of Santa posted:

He'd be 102 if he wasn't

I somehow thought he was like 75. I wondered if I was mistaking him for someone else, but when I looked him up on Wikipedia (which is how I learned that he was dead), he was indeed the "down goes Frazier" guy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Well, delicately kiss my pomegranates!

I didn't realize Leslie Jordan actually sounded like that, I assumed Beauregard la Fontaine on American Dad was just a voice that he made up.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Z-chat reminds me that I didn't know zephyrs were a thing until I was well into adulthood because when I was a kid, my mom was friends with a hippie chick whose son was named Zephyr.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think Zephyr Teachout’s congressional campaign was torpedoed by her incredibly lame name.

Zephyr is a cool name and while Teachout isn't, her husband's name (Juliusburger) might actually be worse.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Phlegmish posted:

e: I used to think the Ramones were from California, but nope, NYC.

e2: in my defense, they have songs like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-WjrY-zY50

Right, but it's a cover of a song by The Rivieras...a band from Indiana.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy57Xdk9u0o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Phlegmish posted:

The Butthole Surfers were from Texas but I suppose they could have been surfing in the Gulf of Mexico

Failed Imagineer posted:

And somehow that name was way tamer than their previous ones

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why? What did they call the Gulf of Mexico before?

I just want you know that I laughed. :haw: