Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

- Ska du ha maito i kaffet?

KillHour posted:

This made sense when our "enemies" were superpowers with massive standing armies and R&D budgets. Now they're some just some random dudes with cold war leftovers. I'm not saying stop all military R&D, I'm saying "Why the gently caress do we need ICBM interceptors and billion-dollar air superiority fighters?"

As for your second point, it's not like we have to burn the money if it's not being used for bigger explosions. We can fund non-military R&D directly.

The US is totally going to war with Russia and/or China within the next 30 years over Arctic regions.

e: not that it matters of course, since most R&D is for poo poo designed to spy on and kill civilians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sentmassen posted:

MBT-70, A joint research project Between the USA and Germany to develop the modern battle tank, project was cancelled but lead Directly to the creation of the Abrams and Leopard 2.
Look at other pictures of it, i think it looks rad from every angle. Thing was only 6 feet tall, which is shorter than my car. The driver sat in the turret on a rotating seat that allowed him to always face forward (or backward if needed) which seems like an awkward position to drive from.

Assuming the turret rotates, wouldn't the driver have to sit on a fixed (fixed to the body, not the turret) seat to always remain facing forward?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ChogsEnhour posted:

Didn't Captain Scarlet drive a tank like that? He had to drive it sideways or something mad.

Yes but he's much easier to fit inside a turret since it doesn't matter if he gets mangled by the workings because you know he'll return.

• Locked thread