Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentmassen
Oct 17, 2012

Atmus posted:

Probably. It seemed a lot more weird at the time though. I want to say that it also had a manual transmission and the steering controls looked like it was a real pain to drive, but I don't remember why I came up with that opinion. It was before I learned to drive myself, so who knows if I was right or not.

MBT-70, A joint research project Between the USA and Germany to develop the modern battle tank, project was cancelled but lead Directly to the creation of the Abrams and Leopard 2.
Look at other pictures of it, i think it looks rad from every angle. Thing was only 6 feet tall, which is shorter than my car. The driver sat in the turret on a rotating seat that allowed him to always face forward (or backward if needed) which seems like an awkward position to drive from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentmassen
Oct 17, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Assuming the turret rotates, wouldn't the driver have to sit on a fixed (fixed to the body, not the turret) seat to always remain facing forward?

To get the profile down to 6 feet, they had to move the entire crew to the turret (no room to stuff a guy in the nose). The turret is largely a big self contained unit, and in all tanks the gunner, commander, and loader seats are mounted to the turret. They tried to add the driver to that list but it proved too awkward despite their efforts.

They could probably do it now with LCD screens and cameras...

Sentmassen
Oct 17, 2012

Atmus posted:

Am I understanding that right in that the driver's position was essentially fixed to the base in that it rotated counter to the turret's rotation? If so, there's no way you'll convince me that graphic is to scale AND that the tank is only 6' tall.

Correction, 6ft 6in with is hydraulic system set to low. It had a adjustable suspension that allowed it to take advantage of terrain features. Object 416 has the same driver in turret thing, if people are still confused, that thing was SHORT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0VIpxZltgU he shows the chair at 5:10 if you don't want to sit through the obnoxious rock music.

• Locked thread