Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think the solution to the Fermi Paradox is?
No other civilizations exist OP, it's just us
Destroying ourselves is just what intelligent life does. I for one can't wait for our destruction
Maybe they all died out from asteroids or supernovas or whatever, idgaf
Aliens are gonna nuke the gently caress out of us OP and I'm going to laugh, because thats crazy
They're just too far away dude calm down
Maybe its just too boring to bother traveling or producing machines to go that distance, did you think of that??
I think we just aren't listening to the right kind of signals, maaan
they're too busy on space BYOB / virtual reality
I think they're too busy smoking weed
I think the earth is deliberately held back from contact like a fancy planetary zoo
the government actually hides evidence of the aliens; haven't you heard of roswell OP?
i think they are here already but just unobserved; the technology to hide would be nothing to an entity capable of interstellar travel
i think God kills them before they get too close to talking to humans, the chosen species of God
its too dangerous to communicate, look at first contact with other civilizations on a planetary scale it never ended awesomely
they are just too alien. we can't communicate, understand, or even begin to phantom what sort of methods they'd have to talk. they could live their lives out in time measured in space instead of the way we normally think of it and insane poo poo like that
View Results

• Locked thread
drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Like what if scarcity is unique to earth? You ever think of that?

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt

ulvir posted:

"we" might actually get to that point in a not too distant future (like within the next 10 000 years, granted we survive that long) and we're relly bad at global pacifism

I would rather the earth burn in nuclear hell fire than be related to a bunch of little bitches in 10 thousand years.

----------------

alnilam

i think there is probably c ool animals and plants all over but i agree with the idea that intelligence and technology, as we think of them, are probably very rare. Probably exists at least a couple of times in this galaxy, but maybe not coinciding in time, and probably exceedingly far apart.

Also consider the following

As piso mojado pointed out, we have only been technologically capable of even attempting to search for / listen for / talk to aliems for a few decades.
What if there's some insane communication technology that we have yet to discover? What if radio waves are only going to be the technology of choice for a few hundred years before we move onto QUantum Entanglement Wormhole Tachyon Space-Folding or whatever the gently caress. Stuff we have no idea how to even lsiten for. And what if other civilizations with intelligence similar to ours went through a similar progression?
Then not only are we asking "does the existence of intelligent civilizations coincide in time?" but even more specifically, "does the 200 year period in which intelligent civilizations use radio before moving onto QEWTSF overlap?" and that gets even more unlikely

e: like, you could argue that maybe after we discover that technology we'd still keep sending radio waves out in case a "more primitive" civilization is out there, but what if the next technology is faster than light? Could you imagine people saying "hey let's shut down the old-as-gently caress radio SETI because it would take 10,000 years to get a response from the nearest likely exoplanet, we might as well use something with instant results because we'll never live to hear the response from the radio version"

alnilam fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 8, 2015

ty manifisto

Ace of Baes
if we dont abandon at least major violence (war) within the next 150 years we're all gonna be dead anyways

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Piso Mojado

ulvir posted:

"we" might actually get to that point in a not too distant future (like within the next 10 000 years, granted we survive that long) and we're relly bad at global pacifism

my outlook for mankind is either -

1. we blow ourselves up with a few of the thousands of nukes laying around, like we almost did in the cold war.

2. we reach singularity first and begin a new age of Aquarius

drilldo squirt

suicide bi cop posted:

if we dont abandon at least major violence (war) within the next 150 years we're all gonna be dead anyways

I'd like to see your evidence.

----------------

ulvir

drilldo squirt posted:

Like what if scarcity is unique to earth? You ever think of that?

this seems unlikely to me.

drilldo squirt

Piso Mojado posted:

1. we blow ourselves up with a few of the thousands of nukes laying around, like we almost did in the cold war.

Can you imagine what kind of hellish nightmare it would be to have immortality and nothing to do except gently caress around.

----------------

ulvir

Piso Mojado posted:

I wish for the latter and dread the former.

alnilam

joke_explainer posted:

Yeah. The fun part about berserker probes is it doesn't actually require any malevolence or xenophobia: It could just be an exploration probe that breaks, gets a subtle alteration on the ten millionth reproduction that just starts destroying biospheres instead of terraforming them or whatever. just sitting around, waiting to wake up and wreck poo poo. Very lovecraftian. But it might be a pretty good strategy if you are the first on the scene and don't want to wait around for someone else to do it.

this reminds me of the philip k dick story autofac

ty manifisto

Ace of Baes

drilldo squirt posted:

I'd like to see your evidence.

technology + war...we've already gotten to the point where a superpower (america) can decimate hundreds of millions of people around the world in a matter of hours with nuclear weapons that will probably be considered rudimentary within the next 50 years, think of waht kind of hosed up insanely dangerous stuff nuclear, biologically, etc. we'll have in 150....

it's possible technology and military weapons will grind to a halt but that's kind of a pipe dream

----------------

circ dick soleil

by zen death robot

Fermi says that the entire galaxy can be colonized in a few million years with simple self-replicating machines so why hasn't he built them already? Is he some kind of retard?

----------------

Diqnol

I'm an eternal pessimist but I will say that the internet has done a good job in bringing people closer together at a basal level which makes it harder for tribalism to be relevant. Remember, we are first gen internet goers. I think given enough time, we will homogenize and world peace may really happen. The worry is that while nationalism is still pervading our society, someone will do something stupid and ruin everything.

drilldo squirt

suicide bi cop posted:

technology + war...we've already gotten to the point where a superpower (america) can decimate hundreds of millions of people around the world in a matter of hours with nuclear weapons that will probably be considered rudimentary within the next 50 years, think of waht kind of hosed up insanely dangerous stuff nuclear, biologically, etc. we'll have in 150....

it's possible technology and military weapons will grind to a halt but that's kind of a pipe dream
America has enough nuclear firepower to turn the world into a burning cinder already actually.

----------------

drilldo squirt

What if our planet just sucks, like it's the deep south of space?

----------------

Ace of Baes

drilldo squirt posted:

America has enough nuclear firepower to turn the world into a burning cinder already actually.

that's not really true, we could cause nuclear winter, and kill off most humans, but some humans would still survive, and life on earth would survive as well, earth is pretty resilient

----------------

circ dick soleil

by zen death robot
The Fermi paradox vastly oversimplifies the problems of colonizing space.

----------------

drilldo squirt

Like our planet isn't even good enough for retarded probe robots even.

----------------

drilldo squirt

suicide bi cop posted:

that's not really true, we could cause nuclear winter, and kill off most humans, but some humans would still survive, and life on earth would survive as well, earth is pretty resilient

I don't know dude, radiation would gently caress up everything left in my humble opinion.

----------------

drilldo squirt

circ dick soleil posted:

The Fermi paradox vastly oversimplifies the problems of colonizing space.

The fermi paradox vastly over simplifies a lot of things.

----------------

alnilam

An interesting question about the self-replicating colonization is, a lot of people would find it hard to justify. You're never, ever going to see the results of it. Nobody on earth nor their great great grandschildren will never see the results. If we can barely agree on how much money we want to spend on exploring our solar system, how are we going to agree on sending "probes to nowhere"?

And then if you're somehow using the robots "seeding" habitable planets with human beings from embryos a la Songs of Distant Earth, there's also the question of consent, like these humans are being born into a hosed up pioneer world without ever having been given the chance to say no or even having any idea why, it's not like they got to volunteer to be put into cryosleep and be a brave explorer.
you could make the same argument for any birth of any baby being born of any circumstances though so :shrug:

ty manifisto

drilldo squirt

I think the whole idea is stupid.

----------------

circ dick soleil

by zen death robot
lmao if you think that the technology that will be used to colonize space is gonna look like some star trek poo poo then you're a massive idiot. its gonna be some freaky organic looking stuff that you can't even begin to understand. human engineering still gets its rear end kicked by nature every fucken day how the gently caress do you expect us to pull something like that off

----------------

alnilam

i really like good scifi that speculates on this kind of poo poo, even if i disagree with the author's ideas it's such a fascinating topic and as long as the author can write good, it's always a really cool read

ty manifisto

drilldo squirt

Listen if space ships in the future aren't decorated like a office full of wasps in the 80's I will do everything in my power to destroy them.

----------------

Diqnol

drilldo squirt posted:

I think the whole idea is stupid.

I don't think its stupid to wonder why it appears to us right now that we are alone in the universe

Ace of Baes

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't know dude, radiation would gently caress up everything left in my humble opinion.

"We couldn't even make that much of a dent with the entire world's nuclear arsenal. Figures say that there are about 20,000 warheads between all the nuclear powers. A larger warhead would wipe out all life in a fairly small radius, on the order of a few miles. Generously, that arsenal could wipe out several hundred thousand square miles of the surface of the earth -- and that's barely a dent in the 60 million square miles of land mass. The ensuing global winter would make life very unpleasant for big plants and animals, and there might be another mass extinction, but there's so much life that wouldn't even notice. Deep sea and underground communities would be completely untouched."

----------------

drilldo squirt

I was talking about making self replicating terraforming exploration robots that you will never see or hear from again.

----------------

Diqnol

drilldo squirt posted:

I was talking about making self replicating terraforming exploration robots that you will never see or hear from again.

It's as credible as any other theory on this stuff

circ dick soleil

by zen death robot
how does he even propose that a robot would self replicate in a vacuum

----------------

alnilam

It depends on how strong your drive to explore as a species is, how much of a collective notion you have of "we as a human race, unbounded by time or nation, want to explore the galaxy." Something not likely in this day and age but maybe someday.

Can you imagine how cool it would be if 10,000 years ago, humans had sent poo poo like that out to the galaxy, and we were getting results back now?

e: ALso what if the earth were about to end and we knew it, and we just had such a strong desire to preserve the human race in some way even though all of us here on earth were sure to die. Arthuer C Clarke explores that idea in songs of distant earth and i think it's really fascinating

alnilam fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 8, 2015

ty manifisto

Diqnol

circ dick soleil posted:

how does he even propose that a robot would self replicate in a vacuum

I don't think he does. Didn't he make this as an offhand comment and everyone else is the reason the comment is a thing?

circ dick soleil

by zen death robot

alnilam posted:

It depends on how strong your drive to explore as a species is, how much of a collective notion you have of "we as a human race, unbounded by time or nation, want to explore the galaxy." Something not likely in this day and age but maybe someday.

Can you imagine how cool it would be if 10,000 years ago, humans had sent poo poo like that out to the galaxy, and we were getting results back now?

10000 years isn't anywhere near long enough to do anything.

----------------

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Maybe this thread is akin to a caveman trying to describe what a car would be like to another caveman. Neither has any comprehension of the massive steps needed to be taken to get there so there is no way either of them will even be able to grasp the finer points of the idea, beyond describing something moving fast.

ulvir

alnilam posted:

i really like good scifi that speculates on this kind of poo poo, even if i disagree with the author's ideas it's such a fascinating topic and as long as the author can write good, it's always a really cool read

Piso Mojado

Luvcow posted:

Maybe this thread is akin to a caveman trying to describe what a car would be like to another caveman. Neither has any comprehension of the massive steps needed to be taken to get there so there is no way either of them will even be able to grasp the finer points of the idea, beyond describing something moving fast.

probably more akin to describing cars to a mold culture on a loaf of bread

Diqnol

Mold cluster to other Mold cluster: Ok, so here me out: what if theres other mold out there colonizing all the other bread through some sort of self breading mechanism
Other Mold cluster: *grows slowly*

Pro Target

considering this and other dumb sci-fi reality stuff like the Singularity is a pointless hobby for western petit-bourgoeis nerds to distract themselves from the overwhelming meaninglessness of existence in a capitalist society

Piso Mojado

Pro Target posted:

considering this and other dumb sci-fi reality stuff like the Singularity is a pointless hobby for western petit-bourgoeis nerds to distract themselves from the overwhelming meaninglessness of existence in a capitalist society

existence is meaningless no matter what kind of society you live in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro Target

only for a pedantic definition of meaningless

• Locked thread