Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think the solution to the Fermi Paradox is?
No other civilizations exist OP, it's just us
Destroying ourselves is just what intelligent life does. I for one can't wait for our destruction
Maybe they all died out from asteroids or supernovas or whatever, idgaf
Aliens are gonna nuke the gently caress out of us OP and I'm going to laugh, because thats crazy
They're just too far away dude calm down
Maybe its just too boring to bother traveling or producing machines to go that distance, did you think of that??
I think we just aren't listening to the right kind of signals, maaan
they're too busy on space BYOB / virtual reality
I think they're too busy smoking weed
I think the earth is deliberately held back from contact like a fancy planetary zoo
the government actually hides evidence of the aliens; haven't you heard of roswell OP?
i think they are here already but just unobserved; the technology to hide would be nothing to an entity capable of interstellar travel
i think God kills them before they get too close to talking to humans, the chosen species of God
its too dangerous to communicate, look at first contact with other civilizations on a planetary scale it never ended awesomely
they are just too alien. we can't communicate, understand, or even begin to phantom what sort of methods they'd have to talk. they could live their lives out in time measured in space instead of the way we normally think of it and insane poo poo like that
View Results

• Locked thread
Pro Target

additionally, I hope a SpaceX rocket crashes int oyour home and kills you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Life is meaningless so why not speculate about nerdy space poo poo?

Piso Mojado

Pro Target posted:

additionally, I hope a SpaceX rocket crashes int oyour home and kills you

:( I dont. all my cool stuff is in my home

Pro Target

Escapist entertainment and dumb pointless speculation about the Harry Potter Canon is a band-aid that helps people to deal with the pain of existence without ever examining and grappling with the conditions of society that lead to that pain in the first place

Ace of Baes
its just interesting things to think about,

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Diqnol

me, yelling at a trekkie: GRAB SOCIETY BY THE REINS YOU FOOL

Pro Target

suicide bi cop posted:

its just interesting things to think about,

Its a waste of good brainpower

Ace of Baes

Pro Target posted:

Its a waste of good brainpower

is posting jokes and photoshopping pictures of our avatars onto of people a waste of good brain power?

----------------

Pro Target

Yes and ive always maintained that

Ace of Baes
sounds like an easy way to get strung out

----------------

Pro Target

The only worthwhile pursuit is the wholehearted support of revolutionary struggle to improve the actual, material long-term conditions for humanity here on Planet Earth. asking why harry potter didnt just shoot voldemort with a sniper rifle is a degenerate waste of time

Ace of Baes
i dont think harry would be a very good shot

----------------

smoobles

what if there's a planet out there where harry potter actually exists, in that reality

space is infinite, just saying.... something to think about

----------------

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I'd rather have discussions with other people about our existence than go to war and fight people over my ideals :shrug:

But feel free to keep making GBS threads up the world with violence and setting humanity back centuries ever time you do it

Pro Target

every major advancement for humanity has been won through revolutionary action

Pro Target

But go ahead and pretend that bourgeois moralistic principles of Not Doing Anything somehow place you on an ethical high ground while you benefit daily from the worldwide exploitation of the proletariat

Pro Target

Not too hard to be against violence once you've already secured yourself a comfortable lifestyle through violence

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Listen, gently caress the proletariat. We are all about self replicating exploration robots in space.

----------------

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I see what you did there

Piso Mojado

Pro Target posted:

Not too hard to be against violence once you've already secured yourself a comfortable lifestyle through violence

it's not too hard to be against violence no matter what conditions you live in.

Pro Target

what does that evne mean

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
There is an Alien language that doesn't even have a word for violence

Pro Target

principled non-violence is a modern invention designed to rob the exploited of their only actual tool for fighting back at oppressors

Piso Mojado

Pro Target posted:

principled non-violence is a modern invention designed to rob the exploited of their only actual tool for fighting back at oppressors

principled violence is a tool used by ideologues to exploit the suffering masses to push their own agendas as well.

groups who are in in power now were once oppressed, and their oppressors gained power from the same violent methods, and so did the ones before them etc etc..a cycle of oppression and suffering.

Pro Target

'groups who are in power now' were directly created by the material conditions of pre-capitalist feudal society, and will cease to exist with a transition to a communist one

Piso Mojado

maybe instead of falling into the same cycle of violence, we should look to the unknown and find a way to become a greater species than our own genes currently allow us to become.

Piso Mojado

Pro Target posted:

'groups who are in power now' were directly created by the material conditions of pre-capitalist feudal society, and will cease to exist with a transition to a communist one

there will always be those who strive for power - I don't see how any applied government will change that.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Agreed. Violence only profits those at the top who almost never actually fight in any way shape or form.

Back to the OP though, what if our only real goal is to ensure that life makes it off our planet so it can thrive elsewhere regardless of whether it is in human or even sentient form?

Pro Target

Piso Mojado posted:

maybe instead of falling into the same cycle of violence, we should look to the unknown and find a way to become a greater species than our own genes currently allow us to become.

This type of mentality is typical of the western liberal: rather than use the tools that currently exist to improve conditions for people who are currently alive and living, we should put our trust in mysticism and vague optimism and the hope that things will somehow get better on their own

Pro Target

non-violence is 100 times more profitable than violence for capitalist society, which is why its been pushed so hard in education and popular media as the only 'valid' form of protest

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
*gandhi rolls uncontrollably in grave*

smoobles

academic tier trolling is hard to respond to tbh

----------------

joke_explainer

Piso Mojado posted:

I think the biggest flaw in fermi's paradox is the question itself. "why haven't we discovered intelligent life yet?".

nevermind the vastness of space - it's the time part that gets me. the entire existence of "intelligent" humanity is barely a blip on the grand timeline, and the time we've spent actively looking for other life is a small fraction of that. I think the better question is, why would anyone think we should have found life by now?

It's not really about how long humans have been looking, but the fact that if they had made any effort at it, they should have easily reached Earth millions of years ago.

ulvir posted:

another part of this problem is how frigging far apart everything is. even just someone observing us from the other end of the milky way galaxy (if we assume whoever "they" are came to be at the same point in time as us) wouldn't see anything more than a blue planet as it was 100 000 years ago, and do their equivalent of scratching their heads and wonder if there's life over there. back then we were still stoneage people, and hadn't made any significant changes in the surface geology yet, let alone litter our atmosphere with space debris )and I don't even think the changes to the surface we've done now is really noticeable from those distances).

Well, that's true but a powerful enough space telescope could notice things like the oxygen in the atmosphere or other quirks in the light emitted by the planet that would suggest life even billions of years ago.

drilldo squirt posted:

What if they are scared we will kill them and take their things? Because I can see us killing them and taking their things, we are super good at doing that.

It's a legitimate fear I suppose, and one that might lead a society to choose a solution like a Berserker probe. But it's more of a long-term problem: If you were to sit around and wait for them to have easy interstellar travel and ridiculously powerful weapons, then that's an issue. Why wait, though? If aliens or alien technology did travel from another solar system to ours, the idea of our technology being able to do anything to it at all is laughable; it would have probably survived collisions with dust that were most destructive than our own most powerful nuclear weapons by several orders of magnitude, and if it achieved the journey in any reasonably timeframe (from its perspective, relativistically) it could probably sterilize the planet just by pointing its engines at us and hitting 'go'.

Piso Mojado posted:

I agree, but I find it unlikely that a race that has achieved the technological abilities to traverse the universe would make it to that point without abandoning violence.

Well, it may not even be viewed as violence. It's probably not a great idea to apply any human ethical or moral standards to aliens. We don't consider it violence when we wash our hands to remove bacteria, or exterminate roaches.

drilldo squirt posted:

Like what if scarcity is unique to earth? You ever think of that?

As far as anyone can tell, the universe is about the same in every direction, and we see no particular reason to assume our planets are vastly different from any other set of planets. That's the mediocrity principle mentioned in the OP. There are almost certainly worlds that we'd call 'superhabitable' out there though, that are particularly abundantly habitable for our species at least and likely others for other species. They might focus on such worlds instead of bothering with places like Earth?

Pro Target posted:

considering this and other dumb sci-fi reality stuff like the Singularity is a pointless hobby for western petit-bourgoeis nerds to distract themselves from the overwhelming meaninglessness of existence in a capitalist society

Okay. There's a ton of solutions that don't revolve around sci-fi concepts, as I mention in the top. There's even ones that think societies end up in late stage capitalism and everybody dies or w/e. I just don't get 'Only dumb people ever ask this question', as if no one should ever consider it and if they do they're doing something wrong. No matter what your situation, you might ask these questions when data about the statistics involved so far land on your desk. Do you think its a total waste of money to research exoplanets? Do you think all the data we have on exoplanets is fabricated or something? Do you really think the question of whether or not there is other life in the universe is completely irrelevant navel-gazing and all the academic work on it and research into habitable worlds is just pointless time-wasting?

I find it hard to believe you think reality physically can't support life other than us, so I think you're just being unpleasant to try to rile some feathers, but I'd be curious on your actual opinion on alien life's probability and/or explanations to why we haven't seen em, or whether or not we'll be likely to see them (even if non-technological/intelligent) in the near future. Also, how exactly does a non-capitalistic Earth make this question go away? What about living in a different political system changes the reality of the scale, conditions and age of the universe? Would we just go so happy with a better political system we'd stop thinking about space entirely?

drilldo squirt

joke_explainer posted:

It's not really about how long humans have been looking, but the fact that if they had made any effort at it, they should have easily reached Earth millions of years ago.

Well, that's true but a powerful enough space telescope could notice things like the oxygen in the atmosphere or other quirks in the light emitted by the planet that would suggest life even billions of years ago.

It's a legitimate fear I suppose, and one that might lead a society to choose a solution like a Berserker probe. But it's more of a long-term problem: If you were to sit around and wait for them to have easy interstellar travel and ridiculously powerful weapons, then that's an issue. Why wait, though? If aliens or alien technology did travel from another solar system to ours, the idea of our technology being able to do anything to it at all is laughable; it would have probably survived collisions with dust that were most destructive than our own most powerful nuclear weapons by several orders of magnitude, and if it achieved the journey in any reasonably timeframe (from its perspective, relativistically) it could probably sterilize the planet just by pointing its engines at us and hitting 'go'.

Well, it may not even be viewed as violence. It's probably not a great idea to apply any human ethical or moral standards to aliens. We don't consider it violence when we wash our hands to remove bacteria, or exterminate roaches.

As far as anyone can tell, the universe is about the same in every direction, and we see no particular reason to assume our planets are vastly different from any other set of planets. That's the mediocrity principle mentioned in the OP. There are almost certainly worlds that we'd call 'superhabitable' out there though, that are particularly abundantly habitable for our species at least and likely others for other species. They might focus on such worlds instead of bothering with places like Earth?

Okay. There's a ton of solutions that don't revolve around sci-fi concepts, as I mention in the top. There's even ones that think societies end up in late stage capitalism and everybody dies or w/e. I just don't get 'Only dumb people ever ask this question', as if no one should ever consider it and if they do they're doing something wrong. No matter what your situation, you might ask these questions when data about the statistics involved so far land on your desk. Do you think its a total waste of money to research exoplanets? Do you think all the data we have on exoplanets is fabricated or something? Do you really think the question of whether or not there is other life in the universe is completely irrelevant navel-gazing and all the academic work on it and research into habitable worlds is just pointless time-wasting?

I find it hard to believe you think reality physically can't support life other than us, so I think you're just being unpleasant to try to rile some feathers, but I'd be curious on your actual opinion on alien life's probability and/or explanations to why we haven't seen em, or whether or not we'll be likely to see them (even if non-technological/intelligent) in the near future. Also, how exactly does a non-capitalistic Earth make this question go away? What about living in a different political system changes the reality of the scale, conditions and age of the universe? Would we just go so happy with a better political system we'd stop thinking about space entirely?

drat, those probes are fuckin dangerous.

----------------

Pro Target

I feel that unscientific conjecture on the subject is a hobby engaged in by people who have nothing better to do than navel gaze

joke_explainer

"Gee, I'm glad we don't have money anymore. This made the question of intelligent life on other planets pointless: Our political system drastically changed the nature of the universe, and now there's only one planet. Our glorious utopia planet."

drilldo squirt

Now I'm looking at my navel.

----------------

joke_explainer

Pro Target posted:

I feel that unscientific conjecture on the subject is a hobby engaged in by people who have nothing better to do than navel gaze

Oh. I'd agree, yeah. But that's true for a lot of topics, and we've had philosophy megathreads and stuff. Anyway, sorry if the entire writing about it made you annoyed.

drilldo squirt

It's got 3 lines.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro Target

The question is pointless currently, because as far as we know we can't travel faster than the speed of light. Why does it matter if aliens exist? What do we gain or lose by knowing?

• Locked thread