Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There was a really bizarre part of that game where it briefly flooded a zone and turned it into a banjo kazooie level and you had to collect 100 notes to proceed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, I meant stuff like the Zelda stealth mission and having to scream into your DS. Just little things.

i was on an airplane when i got to the scream into the DS thing and just held my ds up to the bulkhead for a second lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

and then when that didn't work i had to put the ds next to my face and say the word without making eye contact with the woman next to me. awkward gaming ftw

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

the only Zelda game I didn't like was skyward sword, because the dungeons were pretty boring and they copied the wind waker ocean except forgot to include islands in it. The combat was fun though

That's kind of funny because i found Windwaker's oceans with islands really boring and liked that it didnt take like 15 minutes to get anywhere relevant in SS.

Agree with you on the dungeons though WW's werent that good either iirc.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Only played the 3DS one but liked it and will try all the others eventually

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Contra Calculus posted:

That's kind of funny because i found Windwaker's oceans with islands really boring and liked that it didnt take like 15 minutes to get anywhere relevant in SS.

WW had this all around problem of being loving massive for little reason. Sure as poo poo didn't make things feel less cluttered when you were getting your tiny butt smacked around like a midget in a bear club.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
there are like 7 zelda games i havent played. hell, probably more

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Contra Calculus posted:

WW had better adventure feel because you could just drift around and stumble upon random islands and find treasure.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Contra Calculus posted:

I sympathize, the HD remake did a good job by giving you an optional sail that goes at turbo speed and automatically keeps the wind fully behind you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I sympathize, the HD remake did a good job by giving you an optional sail that goes at turbo speed and automatically keeps the wind fully behind you

I wonder if the original size was masking load times

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Some point I'll probably get it since I hear its hard mode is also really good.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

that would actually make a lot of sense. worked too, i don't remember loading times ever really being an issue

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought Linebeck was going to give you a big pirate ship with a parrot since he has two peg legs, but then I saw everyone was born with no feet.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pablo Gigante posted:

Minish Cap is good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

It was and it owns

Also Spirit Tracks has way better dungeons than Phantom Hourglass and Ghost Teen Zelda is a cool partner, shame about everything else

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I beat Zelda 1 again yesterday, I love that game.

Skyward Sword is my favorite 3D Zelda.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Skyward Sword is my favorite 3D Zelda.

Why?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I enjoy the Zelda games a lot, OP. Looking forward to playing those few I haven;t gotten to, and am saving for a rainy day.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I really enjoy how the overworld areas are set up like dungeons. The actual dungeons are really interesting and have some well thought out puzzles. I love the bosses and the general combat. I also like how much areas change when you go back to them. Sections like the sneaking mission on Eldin and the flooded forest were really cool imo, as are the tears of light sections. The controls clicked with me instantly and I want more of that control scheme. The only item that isn't fun to use is the whip.

There are definitely things that could be better, like the sky world, and I'd probably remove the second imprisoned fight. but all things considered SS has everything I wanted in a zelda game. The emphasis on making the entire overworld a dungeon is what makes it my favorite.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Skyward Sword isn't my favorite but I think there is way too much hate for it, as it is a fun game with nice, gentle art

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Second Quest of the first game is really poo poo because of how they switch up the enemies. Darknuts way more common and are bullshit because they're immune from all sides except the back but you can't move diagonally, you need bombs just to progress and you easily and quickly run out of them because darknuts and blue darknuts are known to be 6 or more in a single room, so you pretty much need bombs in order to not die. But bombs drop very rarely and slaying darknuts with a sword is stupid because of how you need to always hit them from the back, but they will randomly turn around ensuring that you lose a full heartpiece each time.

And Zelda 2 is Zelda 2 it's a real mixed bag.

It wasn't until the Gameboy Zelda did they finally get a balanced game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Agreed, the Taint Reaper, the first two games are fun plays through nostalgia if you enjoyed them as a child, and are a great way to recall the old days, with a smile on your face. I am assuming that is what you typed because I'm not reading all of that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

Agreed, the Taint Reaper, the first two games are fun plays through nostalgia if you enjoyed them as a child, and are a great way to recall the old days, with a smile on your face. I am assuming that is what you typed because I'm not reading all of that.

I was saying the second quest was bullshit.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oh. i mean, it's kind of supposed to be. It's like the "rear end in a top hat" ROM hack version of the game, sort of. I recommend playing that on an emulator, if at all.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Darknuts way more common and are bullshit because they're immune from all sides except the back but you can't move diagonally, you need bombs just to progress and you easily and quickly run out of them because darknuts and blue darknuts are known to be 6 or more in a single room, so you pretty much need bombs in order to not die. But bombs drop very rarely and slaying darknuts with a sword is stupid because of how you need to always hit them from the back, but they will randomly turn around ensuring that you lose a full heartpiece each time.

You are bad at Zelda 1. Darknuts are only immune from the front.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Evil Eagle posted:

You are bad at Zelda 1. Darknuts are only immune from the front.

No I tried hitting them from the sides, they deflect.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

seriously though, my identity does not need "good at pressing buttons" enough that the first two zelda games are not enormously improved by save states

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

No I tried hitting them from the sides, they deflect.

that's deffo not true, you can hit them from the sides. maybe not with the lasers, i don't remember

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

that's deffo not true, you can hit them from the sides. maybe not with the lasers, i don't remember

maybe that was it, because they were deflecting any and all long range poo poo from the sides even the laser sword.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the hordes full of darknut rooms which are popular in the latter half of the first quest and pretty much all of the second are certainly really really hard either way and require response time that i'll probably never have. games were very hard in ye olden times.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I like alttp and oot.

But I've not played any of the newer ones.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

check out these nuts

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/481648/description

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Zelda is like final fantasy: The newest one is the worse until the next one comes out. Though I haven't played the early gameboy ones.

Also, Zelda is a babe that kicks people in the face in smash bros.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

LordAba posted:

Zelda is like final fantasy: The newest one is the worse until the next one comes out. Though I haven't played the early gameboy ones.

Also, Zelda is a babe that kicks people in the face in smash bros.

actually every final fantasy is good, and every zelda too

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Yeah i tried that out and that works. Only problem is for dungeon 4 is that you have to defeat a room of dark nuts, 3 dodongos and then another room of darknuts in a maze before you can access the raft. And if you run out of bombs you're hosed and have to restart all over.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

darknuts aren't that hard, just get them to walk in front of you and hit them from the side

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Parallax Scroll posted:

darknuts aren't that hard, just get them to walk in front of you and hit them from the side

Yeah for the open rooms that's fine but there's rooms where you can't do that. There's really not enough space to move. There's places where you can only move one square distance left and right and you can't go up

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah for the open rooms that's fine but there's rooms where you can't do that. There's really not enough space to move. There's places where you can only move one square distance left and right and you can't go up

idk i don't remember any rooms where that didn't work. once they start walking into the next tile they can't change direction until they get all the way into that tile. pretty easy to use that to your advantage.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Parallax Scroll posted:

idk i don't remember any rooms where that didn't work. once they start walking into the next tile they can't change direction until they get all the way into that tile. pretty easy to use that to your advantage.

I'm playing the second quest

granted I have beaten none of the NES Zeldas but second quest reminds me heavily of SMB Lost Levels because it reeks so much of cheap bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The only Zelda games that I have not beaten are Zelda II, Skyward Sword, and Spirit Tracks. I got to the last dungeon in Zelda II and Skyward Sword and the last boss in Spirit Tracks, but I can't really be bothered to finish any of them. If I had to, I would replay Zelda II because thats the only good game of the three.

It would actually be real nice if Nintendo remade The Adventure of Link and also stopped making mediocre Zelda games like all the ones from March 25th, 2003 to November 21st, 2013.

• Locked thread