Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

This game has been out for a long while, I think about a year and a half at this point, and it has a fairly big player base, but I've never seen a thread for it here, so I thought I would post one to see if we have any resident players, or to interest others in starting to play.

What is Star Wars: Force Collection?
Star Wars Force Collection (SWFC) is a collectable card game published by Konami for mobile devices. The game is free to play, with the ability to purchase in-game currency that can be used for a variety of purposes. You draw and collect cards representing characters from the six movies, plus the clone wars (although Konami is starting to introduce some EU only characters, but not the ones you'd expect). The cards range in rarity from 1 to 5 stars, with the 5 star cards being very powerful, but also very expensive to use in your formation. The meat of the game is in trading cards to build your battle formations, which you use to fight other players both for battle ranking and credits, and also during legion vs legion battles.

Do I need to pay to win?
The premium currency in this game is called "Crystals", which equates to about 100 per dollar. I've personally spent about 30-40 dollars on crystals, and I can tell you, it's not worth it. The card draws you get from the crystal packs give you 3* and up, but not at a rate any higher than the gold packs you can get many of by doing the constantly running events. If you're willing to drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on crystals, through sheer volume you can probably get some amazing cards and get a head start, but you'll do just fine without paying a dime, especially if you are active during events and take the initiative to trade your cards with others.

How do formations work?
Every card in the game has the same basic stats: Cost, Range, Attack, Defense, Accuracy, Evasion, HP, # of actions. Some cards also have skills that enhance themselves, your entire formation, or select cards. Every card also has one or more "types" (Empire, Male, Female, Separatist, Bounty Hunter, etc), these come into play with skills.

When you start the game, you have a set number of EP (energy points, which recharges at the rate of 1 per minute unless you pay with crystals to instantly recharge it), and 55 Capacity. Each time you level up, you get 2 points to put towards either EP or CAP, and every time you ally with someone (set number of slots at each level, plus can be obtained through quests), you get 4 points to distribute as desired. Your formation is a 6x3 grid which you can fill using your cards, but cannot exceed your capacity. The idea is to try to put together a formation with the best possible attack and defense, while trying to have synergy with your cards to take advantage of your types and skills. For example, I have a lot of Sith and Dark cards, and I also have a number of cards that give "Dark Attack Up", or "Sith Attack Up", so that the skills affect the greatest number of cards possible.

So how do I level up?
This is what your EP is for. You can go on quests, which basically involves you tapping your screen a lot, and converting your EP into EXP at a 1:1 ratio. In some events you get a bit more exp per ep but usually not. You also get 2 exp per battle. You also get credits during these quests, which you use to level up your cards.

How do battles work?
Normal battles cost 2 BP each (you have a cap of 10, and it recharges at the rate of 1 per 15 minutes). There are three rows to your formation, front, middle, and back. Short range cards can only attack if they are in the front row, and either attack the card directly in front of them, or the one in front of and 1 to the side if nothing is in front of them. Medium range cards have a range of 2, and will attack the card in front of them, or in front of them and 2 to either side. Long range cards can attack across the entire field, but target the same way as medium range cards (with the exception of snipers which target the middle row first). Combat plays out as follows:

Chance to hit = Accuracy - Evasion (floor of 5%)
Damage = ((Attack of all cards combined that hit a target) - (Defense of target))/10), with a floor of 10 damage.

Tell me more about cards
Cards all start at level 1, and can be raised up to a maximum depending upon their rarity (60 for 5*, 50 for 4*, 40 for 3*, and so on). If you have two or more of the same card, you can also evolve the cards, combining them into one stronger card. You will want to have each card at its maximum level before doing so, as the evolved card takes a percentage of the stats from each of the parent cards as a bonus. Evolving a card will also increase its HP by 1000. There are 4 stages, base, Evo1, Evo2, and EvoMax (where HP caps at 1750).

What are legions?
Legions are the clan structure of this game, represented by a starship. Every 2 weeks, an event called "Legions at War" takes place, where legions will fight each other 3 times a day. Members will "board" the enemy ship to cause damage and disable systems by fighting the formations of the enemy legion, you can use EP to create power cells to charge different areas of your ship such as shields, turbolasers, or launch starfighters. Winning battles gives your legion experience, which lets it accept more members, give some members special abilities in battle, and every 10 levels you get to choose a more poweful ship. Outside of Legions at War, there are often legion-centric events where you get higher encounter rates (and thus better rewards) for being in an active legion with lots of members logged on, or where your legion mates can assist you in battle.

Where can I learn more?
http://www.swfcstats.com/ has all the information you could ever want to know about the inner workings of the game and then some.

If you've managed to read through all of that and you're still interested, now is a pretty good time to get playing. There's an event going on in a week or so that will give the potential to get some 5* cards, and for the week of May 4, Konami usually puts together an event that will give you the chance to get some decent cards and draws, so you could get up to speed in a pretty quick manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
So perhaps there's no interest in this game at all, but I felt like I would at least post one more time to mention that the May the Fourth :hurr: events have started, which is a really good time to get into the game. If you pretty much play and pull cards over the next few days, you'll get a guaranteed 5* card, and they've turned up the drop rates in the card packs as well, so you'll be getting a lot more rare cards than you otherwise would at any other time of year. So if anything here interests you, this is the time to get going, because you'll never have a better opportunity to jump start your deck with 3* and higher cards guaranteed in each of the non-premium card pack pulls.

• Locked thread