Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

I've decided that I'm going to walk across America to raise awareness for mental illness. I'll be departing on my journey from Venice Beach, CA and reaching my destination of Daytona Beach, FL. My goal is to crowd fund at least $2000 it's hard to know exactly how much I'll need exactly but having read various trekkers advice it seems anywhere from $1000 to $5000 depending on how much you rough it and I would like to get funded rather than fall short. My plan is to blog my adventure from beginning to end through my cell phone (when I can get service) as well as taking pictures from an actual camera. I could use some advice as to what kind of tiered rewards I can offer that would interest possible donors. I also feel like I need a good project name, right now I've come up with "In My Footsteps" that sounds too personal to me and I'm brainstorming other ideas. I want to incorporate mental illness into it more, since that is what this is all about. I'm walking with or without the crowd funding, but having it would be a huge boost.

Tl;dr How do I market myself a worthy crowd funding project.

Muerte fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I don't follow kickstarter culture or whatever, but generally when people kickstarter/indiegogo/crowdfund something, it's for something they want. I don't see why people would want yet another blog in an ocean of blogs about a guy who's going to hike to a place far away.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kickstarter specifically doesn't allow "fund my lifestyle" campaigns, so the biggest crowdfunding option is right out.

Have you considered contacting a few local mental health groups and seeing about organizing through their channels? It sounds like what your doing is much more like the "10k for Alzheimers!" that gets the coffee-can passed around at the office more than something to be crowdfunded.

Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

Everblight posted:

Kickstarter specifically doesn't allow "fund my lifestyle" campaigns, so the biggest crowdfunding option is right out.

Have you considered contacting a few local mental health groups and seeing about organizing through their channels? It sounds like what your doing is much more like the "10k for Alzheimers!" that gets the coffee-can passed around at the office more than something to be crowdfunded.

It's not really a lifestyle but I see your point, I've only just started on my kick starter but I listed it as an art project under blogs. I thought this would work as I would be blogging and taking pictures of America that few get to see. To your other point over the weekend I'll be contacting a few people that I know have foundations for mental health such as Brandon Marshall from the NFL.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
How about "Walking Like Crazy" op

As for 'rewards' or publicity you could (depending on your route) visit various mental health hospitals and institutions and maybe get doctors to sign some sort of ledger you'd take with you. So by the time you're done you'd have a big book of inspirational quotes and autographs from doctors in the field. If people won't donate before you leave maybe you can auction it off as a fundraiser for a future project. Good luck OP really sounds fun

• Locked thread