Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kuei-jin was a product line with many problems - among them, things like 'complete lack of any in-depth research' and 'someone decided to literally use a random squiggle and claim it was the kanji/hanzi for an element while all the other ones had actual hanzi, if poorly done and somewhat inappropriate ones.'

Oh, and 'your dark, inner self is a white guy who likes the West.'

And of course the name kuei-jin was itself a horrible linguistic bastardization of Chinese and Japanese that is completely absurd, but one might possibly argue that was a feature rather than a bug. Or, at least, I've seen that argued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

To be fair, it's also the poo poo that happens when we talk about Mage.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think it was Damnation City. Which, incidentally, is the exact book where you can see nWoD turning the corner and deciding to stop doing that stuff quite so much, maybe put more thought into the implications of what it does. I wonder if you can pinpoint the exact page.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

paradoxGentleman posted:

Are the same people who worked on Demon working on Beast? I would feel better if I knew that that game is in those capable hands.

Rose Bailey is heavily involved. Matt McFarland is running Beast; he and Rose were the developers on Demon. Writers on Demon were Dave Brookshaw, N. Conte, Susann Hessen, David A. Hill Jr, Alec Humphrey, Danielle Lauzon, Michelle Lyons-McFarland, Matt McFarland, Mark Stone, Travis Stout, Stew Wilson and Eric Zawadzki. Could not tell you how many of them are on Beast, but Rose and Matt have a history of quality product.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You sure can read a lot into things from a single snippet of fiction from a sales pitch.

Back when Demon wasn't out yet, I thought I was going to hate it - all the teasers and so on made it sound like the technological aspect was going to override the occultism completely, like it'd be playing the Matrix except vampires live there, too. I was dogging on it to my friends, and the tone of the teasers rarely helped.

Then it came out and it's one of my favorite games now.

Calm your rear end, man.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, uh, looking at this PDF...I don't think I really like Beast at the moment. The fluff has not been handled very well, particularly around Heroes, and the Atavisms are insanely powerful. Like 'have 3/2 armor at all times, forever, as long as you have Satiety less than 10' powerful. Nightmares aren't much weaker, but take a lot more hoop-jumping to invoke and can't stack on each other.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 13, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Good work on the Lair stuff, then. It's pretty cool! I think some of the Lair Traits are strictly worse than others of the same type, but that's the worst I can say about them.

Atavisms and the general fluff is the real problem. (Also You Are Meat.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

One thing I note in reading: Heroes are exactly like the Beasts that cause them. A Hero produced by a Tyrant (Hunger: Domination) wants to tear the Tyrant down and take their place. A Hero produced by a Collector (Hunger: Hoard) wants to steal the Collector's stuff. A Hero produced by a Predator (Hunger: Prey) wants to fight and kill the Predator. A Hero produced by a Nemesis (Hunger: Punishment) wants to bring the Beast to face its sins and destroy it for them. A Hero produced by a Ravager (Hunger: Ruin) is fine with destroying literally anything and everything nearby to take down the Ravager.

Heroes have all your urges, but focused entirely on you. It's not Perseus and Medusa - it's Dr. Jekyll fighting Mr. Hyde. And that would be - that is - a much cooler conflict. Unfortunately, the book doesn't focus on that, but rather on how Heroes suck and are lame and you should hate them. (Honestly the book talks a hell of a lot about Heroes for something that insists the story's not about them.)

Personally, I think it'd be cooler if, rather than being born with the soul of a dragon, Beasts start out as dragonslayers. They are the people who became obsessed with killing the dragon and stealing its horde - and when they won, well...there always has to be a dragon. Congratulations, now it's you.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Beasts are hyperfocused on causing terror and fear. They are hunters - an Ogre, Beast or Darkling doesn't have to make waves. They're changed by where they were, but the Beasts are much closer to Keepers than to Changelings in outlook and demeanor. Beasts are pretty much universally terrible people, people that exist to hurt others. At best, you get a Beast who focuses their desire to hurt or dominate on 'deserving' targets, but the book is very clear that the hunger itself doesn't give two shits about 'deserving.'

(One thing I like is that they have no simple, direct blessing powers. A Beast can use Nightmares to kind of sideways-bless people, because spending Satiety on a Nightmare tends to add a benefit to the horrible curse you're smacking down, but it's not something you'd volunteer for. For example, the Beast combat-buff Nightmare also causes the victim to violently attack the nearest person.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Overall: I don't like the Beast fluff. (You told me on page 2 that Beasts have no global culture and in fact rarely have more than a very local one; please stop telling me things that all Beasts believe and theories they share with each other via, I don't know, the MONSTER INTERNET. Also, seriously, please stop having Heroes use internet slang and comparing them to internet trolls.) I don't like Atavisms - they're neat in theory but are all kind of ridiculous and OP. I like most of the Nightmares and Lair stuff quite a bit, with a few notable exceptions.

I sincerely hope that things change between this leak and the actual product, because I can see signs of something good here but it's not really working as-is.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ferrinus posted:

What's OP about Atavisms, if you don't mind going into it? My feeling's been that Vampire, Werewolf, and Demon have already muddied stuff with so many overblown, rocket tag-y mechanics that there's not really a reliable baseline to judge game balance by.

Easy aggravated damage in several cases, insanely good armor, a lot of costless powers that you can use any time (unless you have Satiety 10, which is insanely easy to avoid having) which get better very easily, especially at low Satiety. Many of these powers are unrolled. One of them, once taken, makes you literally impossible to lie to - any attempt to deceive you automatically fails, period, all the time, constantly. This is a minor effect attached to the rest of the power.

E: a handful of samplings - you can take a power that will constantly, always give you +Lair to social rolls (to say nothing of its boosted stuff). One that lets you constantly, always, costlessly shoot fire that has (Lair)L weapon modifier, can autofire at low Satiety and deals Durability-ignoring aggravated damage for a scene for 1 Satiety. A power that makes you always, constantly, at all times, become impossible to notice if you stand still or are in a crowd. A power that constantly makes your unarmed attacks deal (Lair)L, which can be made into agg damage for a scene for one Satiety. A power that constantly multiplies your Speed by (Lair+2), on top of constantly boosting you in chases, giving you Defense against Firearms, boosting Initiative and, for one Satiety, let you ignore multiple attacker penalties and add Lair to your Defense before doubling for Dodge. (That's not all - that's just some of what it does.) A power that lets you constantly fire off wind blasts, be immune to all weather (including magical lightning bolts), and, for 1 Satiety, summon up a storm that will devastate anyone and everything caught in it for several miles across. (Extreme Environment level 5, which IIRC deals agg damage.) There's several methods of making your fists ignore Durability completely; the Atavism one also lets you punch cars to stop them dead without reducing momentum for the passengers inside. (Or trains, for that matter, if you picked up the trick that increases your effective Size.) And of course the one that gives constant 3/2 armor plus immunity to bone breakage and the Wrack tilts. This upgrades to 4/3 at low Satiety, can utterly cancel out lethal damage that would normally downgrade to bashing, and for 1 Satiety renders you immune to attacks that would normally deal bashing damage and downgrades all normally lethal damage to bashing. On top of the armor.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 14, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hero Slang Sidebar posted:

Anonymous: A group of humans a Hero enlists as his or her personal army to help kill a Beast.
Aquaman: A Hero who specializes in killng Makara. Applies to any gender of Hero.
[...]
Cherry: The Beast who becomes the Hero's first kill. Frequently used in the phrase "pop one's cherry," as in gaining one's first kill.
[...]
Crusader Rabbit: A male Hero who exclusively hunts Beasts targeting women.
[...]
Ding/level up/notch the bedpost: To kill a Beast and gain a Gift.
Dude/girl in a cape: (derogatory) A Hero who espouses and frequently waxes poetic about an idealist code of ethics.
[...]
Leroy: A Predator's Hero, especially ones who charge into battle without thinking.

Storytelling Chapter!

quote:

Heroes always have a catalyst, but that catalyst generally looks utterly wrong to the Beast causing it. In only the rarest cases will a Beast be able to look at her own actions and believe the Hero is justified.

The players are going to love and hate your Hero, if done right. They should never just hate him, and never just love him. If they do, he's not a Hero.

There's a trick to making this work within the scope of your stories: Internet arguments.

Internet Arguments
Look at the fervor with which people will argue about whatever topic on the internet, from comic book movies, to gender, to space cowboys, to vaccines, to ethics in video game journalism, whatever. Even if the person doesn’t have a leg to stand on logically, they hold their perspective, and if you listen to their reasons, it at least makes sense why they believe what they do, regardless of whether or not they reasonably should. It’s about identity. If you identify with something, an opposing viewpoint isn’t attacking your argument, you feel like it’s attacking you.

Heroes should be these people. They need rationales that make sense within their contexts, and those rationales need to be sufficiently strong, reactionary, and ingrained in their very identities that they’re unwilling to see other alternatives. Heroes believe that whatever a Beast does is a slight against humanity. Since Heroes are part of humanity, they see everything a Beast does as a personal attack, and an affront to their very identity.

The counterpoint is true, inherently. Because the Hero wants to destroy the Beast, the Hero is (by definition) attacking the Beast’s identity. They literally want to kill the Beast. Unfortunately, both sides think their stances have equal footing.

e: The Hero chapter is really weird, by the way, in that it seems to assume Heroes work on PC rules. It specifies that they don't get Aspirations or Beats.

Except, uh, they're NPCs. They never had those.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dammit Who? posted:

What in the ding dong heck is going on here

The first one was my takeaway from reading the entire book.

The second is a quote from the ST section that is pretty dumb.

It's kind of weird because much of the book is utterly unafraid to tell you that, yes, Beasts are terrible people.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lair is your Supernatural Tolerance stat, yeah. (It is also a literal place; this part is pretty neat.)

Satiety is closer to being Vitae than it is to an Integrity-analogue. You don't sin against it or have breaking points, you just spend and gain it. At low Satiety, however, it's much easier to gain Satiety - your needs get increasingly specific as you get closer to 10. (If you hit 10, you lose access to all of your Powers for a while. Never hit 10.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ferrinus posted:

To what extent is it even possible to hit 10 by accident? I don't think I "get" why having too much Satiety is supposed to be a bad thing. Does your astral form just pass out groaning on the astral couch in an astral food coma, or something?

Your Soul basically goes to sleep with a big fat Thanksgiving grin and won't wake up for a while. You can't lose Satiety once completely sated, either - the only listed triggers to get out of it are to be beaten near to death, to have a supernatural critter get an exceptional success on a power usage on you or to land the deathblow on a Hero. All of those drop you down to 9.

It is possible to hit 10 by accident with...I want to say use of two or so specific Nightmares. (Each, not in conjunction.) Even then, it would be very hard unless you just weren't paying attention at all.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gerund posted:

Isn't the point of the "I'm a horrible monster"-game to turn into a regular human being? If even for a day, getting to do just regular stuff is the thing of grand crusades for most other splats.

The book is quite clear - Beasts enjoy what they are. It feels good to sate your Hunger. And almost all of the listed Beast character snippets are of completely awful people who love every second of it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tulul posted:

The Hero stuff sounds, uh, kind of bad, but I don't think I can say anything there that others haven't.

How's the crossover stuff looking? That's one of the things about Beast that I've been kind of curious/skeptical about, because there are some fairly large tonal differences between the various nWoD games.

The Nightmares based on other splats are generally neat. Beasts have...well, a lot of inherent powers, one of which is the power to point at other supernaturals and go 'here, have a bucket of dice to boost your power usage.' They like to stalk other monsters and watch them eat. For some reason that makes no sense whatsoever they hate Demons. I can't tell you why, it is dumb. They seem like they'd do crossover stuff decently enough, really, if you found a way to make Atavisms stop stealing the spotlight.

And didn't do a Demon crossover.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They actually tend to hang out. A Beast's particular hungers tend to be rather specific, so competition is rare - rather, they tend to be good at providing each other with meals. Like, a dude who eats the corruption of clergy teams up with a dude who eats the punishment of vow-breaking clergy. Yes, it's totally hypocritical - they're fine with it. Another team pair is a dude who steals stuff to hide in a lake, which he then spread rumors about so that the other dude can punish people for trying to take it. Beasts can actually connect their Lairs together to gain limited access to each others' Lair traits.

Their natural enemies are 'anyone who objects to what they are doing', Demons for some totally dumb and nonsensical reason, and vampires who get creeped out by being stalked and stared at. Changelings also tend to get mad if and when the Beasts decide to mention that they think the True Fae are pretty neat.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

quote:

The Unchained are extraordinarily secretive and seem to hold the Children in contempt. Encounters frequently terminate in violence and vicious rivalry, especially if the Beast sees through the demon's human facade. What stories of the God-Machine Beasts have pieced together lead them to believe demons are something new: industrial age monsters masquerading as divinity. Whatever they are, they are not kin.

Because, y'know, Beasts can never have industrial or technological themes. (Ignore the ones that do, please.)

When a Beast and Demon meet, if the Demon can't spoof the Beast's monster sense, they have a Clash of Wills. The Beast, if it wins, gives the Demon Shaken. The Demon, if it wins, gives the Beast Leveraged and senses some important personal info about the Beast. If they tie, they both get Spooked. Also, Demons can't get any of the benefits Beasts can give to other supernaturals, and Beasts can't enter Pacts, ever, period.

quote:

Exactly why the Begotten and the Unchained are so viciously at odds is a matter of conjecture - demons don't seem interested in discussing it on those rare occasions they can be located without bloodshed, and if the Dark Mother knows, she hasn't shared it with her children.

(No, Demons have no idea either.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Effectronica posted:

How well could you play a gorgon, in Beast as it stands?

Quite well, actually, there's a power that poisons people and, if they die, can turn them to salt/stone. There's also an entire Family based around being monstrously hideous, either appearance-wise or internally, to shock people into silence and fear.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh right, one other tidbit - a Beast can force their way into any Otherworld whatsoever, with the sole exception of a Demon's Bolthole.

But anywhere else - Astral, Underworld, Shadow - as long as they can find a door, they can force it open. (They have no innate ability to sense gateways, though, so that's a bit of a challenge.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

'Never was human, has ceased to be human' is actually the closest level of kinship Beasts have - for everyone except demons. People that are 'human with a little extra' like Mages or psychics are less close than the guys that never were (Prometheans, Werewolves) or the guys that ceased to be human (Vampires, Sin-Eaters).

Also: I should note that 'Heroes act exactly like Beasts that spawn them' is the text - when I was talking about how each Hunger creates a Hero that wants to exact that Hunger on the Beast that formed it, I wasn't wishing. That is the text. I have no idea why they chose to not focus on that fact once they set it up.

E: I should also note that not all methods of fulfilling a Hunger have to be the most horrible poo poo ever. One of my favorite character snippets was a Tyrant, the guys who hunger for domination and control. He's a criminal lawyer, and he tends to pick cases that are against awful people. And he wins them - he just purposefully focuses not on the truth, but on using his superior skill as a lawyer to crush the opposition and force them realize that they are not and never will be as good he is. What a Tyrant hungers for, after all, is that moment when the opposition realizes that they are inferior.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 14, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Collectors are also funny to me because there are two ways a Collector can feed. First, they can get a new piece for their hoard. Paying for it doesn't work, though, unless what they pay is significantly less than the item's value - the point, after all, is to gain, not buy. But the other method is by stopping people who want to take their hoard. So the honey trap is one of the more reliable methods of feeding as a Collector. (There is no actual loss of Satiety for giving a piece away or letting a piece leave - some Collectors collect people, after all - but it bothers the hell out of them. One of the example Collectors is a woman who runs a home for runaways, and her view is that she's collecting them and keeping them safe. She struggles with the desire to keep them and the knowledge that some day, she has to let them go. She solves this dilemma by trying to get newer, better runaways whenever someone leaves.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Daeren posted:

Yeah, I can buy that. Overwhelming paranoia is part of Demon's jam, trust nobody, etc., so having Weird Cousin Vinny the Skeleton come over and start talking shop would be...

actually, wait, why is this something we want to stop?

Speaking of which, the Open Development post on Lancea et Sanctum miracles is pretty great and Apocalypse is hilarious. Just saying. All the old vampires are now ~*spooky skeletons*~

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I do want to emphasize again that not all of Beast is bad. I dislike a lot of the fluff, but I really like the Lair stuff and almost all of the Nightmares are really cool powers. I especially like how Nightmares can halfway function as blessing powers if you're willing to be really backhanded about it. I think there is potential here, and I would love to see it realized.

It would, however, require scrapping quite a lot of the Hero section at the least. (Anathema are cool, though, they can stay. Anathema are the weaknesses that Heroes can "discover" - or, more accurately, cause to pop into existence.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lairs are your personal nightmare otherworld that your Soul lives in. When you're in it, you basically don't have to pretend to be human any more - you get to just be whatever monster you are. And you can drag people in there - it's risky, though. If you die in there, you die for real, and if they're persistent they can break parts of it. Your Lair is made of Chambers (nightmare-settings, most of which are drawn from real places you visit that you find resonant with your nature) and Burrows (passageways between Chambers). With some effort, you can rearrange your Lair, so it's your personal ever-shifting terror dungeon. You get Lair Features, which are basically environment conditions that are always on in the various parts of your Lair, and which you can overlay onto the real world in areas that resonate with your Lair. So basically, if your Lair has Extreme Cold, then when you fight in, say, a meat locker, you can invoke that and turn the chill into a literal weapon that will wear away and harm your foes.

You are encouraged to use trickery and terrain manipulation to get the initial Tilt you need to overlay your Lair onto the world. Oh, and if you're fighting in one of the places that spawned one of your Chambers, you can just start laying poo poo down even if there is no resonance - so, for example, if part of your lair is full of terrible, burning flames, and another part is this meat-packing plant that resonated with you in some other way, if you fight in the meat-packing plant you can just loving spawn bonfires to kill people.

Lairs can be connected to the Lairs of other Beasts, allowing you to borrow some of their Lair traits and to work together to protect and fight in your communal Brood Lair - but that's a little risky, since if you can't trust them, they can destroy you. The core of your Lair is your Heart, the nightmare-realm where you first realized what you were and embraced your nature, and if that gets destroyed, you loving die. So, you know, be careful with that.

Even when you personally aren't focused on your Lair, your Soul is always hanging out there, so it's never totally unguarded. If someone somehow breaks in and starts trouble, your Soul will go deal with them and you'll get an instinctive sense of what's going on so you can then focus on it and direct it rather than rely on its bestial instincts. As your power grows, you can keep adding more Chambers to your Lair, gaining more Lair Traits and developing your own personal nightmare dungeon to your heart's content.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nightmares, meanwhile, are your fear-based magic powers. They are entirely mental - a Nightmare doesn't create physical things, it messes with your mind. However, this is fear turned up to 11 - it can create real, psychosomatic effects, which can in some cases kill. To use a Nightmare, you have to meet your victim's gaze and then call forth the fear with a nice, simple statement - 'They're coming for you, Michael' or 'You're going to die up there.' They don't have to hear you or understand you - the important part is evoking the fear verbally. This is a bit of a trick to do - eye contact can be tricky in a fight - so they're pretty powerful but I think not overpowered given the challenge of laying them on there. They (usually) last for a scene, and you can choose to have them not take effect until the victim goes to sleep and wakes up. You can't stack them on each other - someone can only suffer one Nightmare at a time. If they have multiple Nightmares hanging over their heads when they sleep, only one resolves each morning.

They also have some great names.

All Your Teeth Are Falling Out uses the fear of age, disease and weakness to make the victim become physically weakened and unable to take advantage of their looks, strength or speed. You can mess with their minds enough to cause them to automatically fail at physical actions if you're willing to spend Satiety on it.

Behold, My True Form! lets you basically do a psychic terror attack. You have very broad control over how the damage manifests if you kill them - it might be death by fear, or you might turn them to stone.

You Are Not Alone makes a victim terrified of being watched, and even more of seeing what's watching them. It makes your victim very bad at noticing things around them, and can even force them to have to take an actual action to make a perception roll.

Nightmares can be based on common fears...or you can develop them based on the supernatural beings around you. (Except for Demons). You Are Infected is based on vampires, and it lets you use a Nightmare on someone without the normal eye-based rigmarole. Instead, you can use it if they've drunk your blood in the last day - even just a tiny drop. Or you can infuse a Nightmare into your blood, causing it to automatically affect anyone who touches or drinks your blood.

Your Rage Consumes You is werewolf-based, and it lets you force someone to lash out in rage at the closest person to them, lasting until that person is knocked out, flees the scene, the victim of your power is Beaten Down or the scene ends. If you're willing to spend Satiety, though, it goes from a rage curse to a rage blessing - for the duration, the victim can't be Beaten Down and gets +2 to all combat rolls. And if you roll well enough, you get to name their target rather than it being the nearest person to you. A lot of Nightmares, actually, have a clause like this, that turns them into a back-handed blessing in some way.

E: Nightmares also get boosted or slightly different effects if you have Satiety 7+. This is the opposite of Atavisms, which have boosted effects at Satiety 3-.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 14, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dammit Who? posted:

The Lairs still sound extremely cool. I'm curious about the "if you die in your Lair, you die for good" bit - is there something where if you get owned outside your Lair you can automatically retreat to it? I'm assuming there is, since it seems obvious.

If you're in an area that resonates with your Lair, you can make a relatively simple roll to retreat to it at any time. Beasts love home turf advantage.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh right and do you remember that one episode of Fringe, the one with the drug that made the dude fear bladed butterflies that killed him by making his body act as if the butterflies were real even though he was hallucinating them?

Bugs Everywhere! lets you do that. You make a victim think that they're covered in bugs, and at high Satiety, they literally believe the bugs are biting and stinging them inside their skin, to the extent that their body acts as if it's poisoned even though there is no actual, physical venom.

(You can also turn it into a backhanded blessing - normally, it gives the Sick tilt, and if you spend Satiety, the penalty from Sick is applied a bonus to any form of supernatural mental influence, control or mind-reading.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GimpInBlack posted:

You're welcome.

EDIT: I came this close to including a Nightmare called That Song You Like is From Twenty Years Ago.

Did you do You Are Meat? 'cause that one is a bit of a problem. (Pretty much all the rest are great, though!)

(Also, Beasts can spot Changelings without seeing through the Mask. Beasts have MONSTER SENSE, they can spot most people. Except Demons if the Demons spoof them.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GimpInBlack posted:

I did all the Nightmares, yeah. Glad you liked (most of) them, and glad to see people pick up on the idea that most of them can be used as buffs, provided you're cool with the Darth Vader school of employee motivation.

As for You Are Meat, can you elaborate on what you see as a problem? It's beefy, yeah, but I'm curious if there's something blindingly obvious I missed or if something in the Nightmare isn't as clear as it should be. I haven't seen anyone use that particular Nightmare in playtest yet.

You Are Meat removes souls; okay, that's fine.

For one Satiety it does so permanently, and it explicitly works on things that don't actually have souls. And not having a soul is a death sentence. If you do not have a soul, you are going to loving die if you can't get it back. If it weren't so easy to make permanent, that'd be fine, but it's only one Satiety to do. That's super, super cheap. Oh, and You Are Meat doesn't allow a resistance attribute. It's just Int+Satiety. So: if I have a decent tank of Satiety, I can drop this on anyone - anyone at all and spend 1 Satiety to make it permanent.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Giving it a Resistance trait helps a lot, since it means Supernatural Tolerance gets involved. I still feel that permanent soul loss is too cheap, though. (Granted, the thing has very little utility in the short term. I would raise the price on permanence but increase the base duration from one scene to at least a day or two. Hell, a day or so per success would be fine.)

E: Basically, I find that 1 Satiety isn't a very meaningful cost. Sure, going from 7 to 8 or 8 to 9 Satiety is a bit tricky barring using a Nightmare that counts as feeding - which at that level is risky to do - but going from 2 to 3 or even 4 to 5 isn't particularly difficult. 1 Satiety is not hard to get - the hard part is staying at high Satiety rather than middling. This, as a note, is one reason why the Atavisms are kind of OP.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 14, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

On the note of new things, here's one I think is weird but not necessarily bad: Beasts basically get SUPER MERITS. These are Beast-only merits that are advanced versions of a normal merit that everyone can take, which provide significantly boosted effects, but require you to fully invest in the normal merit. For example:

Demolisher is a 1-3 dot merit that lets you ignore 1-3 points of Durability when breaking stuff. A Beast with Demolisher 3 can take SUPER DEMOLISHER for 2 dots (note: not its actual name, the actual name is Demolisher (Advanced)) to just straight-up ignore Durability and get exceptional successes on 3 rather than 5 when breaking stuff. (This actually overlaps very extensively with an Atavism; this is a minor issue I've noticed a few times).

Merits that have SUPER MERIT versions: Danger Sense, Demolisher, Direction Sense (which also has a HYPER MERIT version that requires you have SUPER DANGER SENSE), Double Jointed, Eidetic Memory, Fame, Fast Reflexes, Giant, Iron Skin (which also comes in HYPER IRON SKIN), Killer Instinct, Library (which has HYPER LIBRARY too and is the only one that isn't Beast-exclusive in either case), Resources, Striking Looks.

I don't understand some of the picks, like SUPER FAME or SUPER RESOURCES but, y'know, whatevs.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Super Fame means that your MONSTER SELF has legendary notoriety that boosts your Fame even further. It acts as bonus Fame dots, but also gives you the power to put an appropriate Condition on people when you act in accordance with your reputation, once per session per Super Fame dot. Also, Heroes can sometimes sense your presence within a half mile.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"Shape shifting monster that replaces people" is Demon.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Clearly we need a gameline for playing that one dude from the GMC, the fly-headed man who orders pizza.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think part of that is packaging. I mean, Werewolf these days is about playing a gang of serial killers. You hunt and stalk and ritually murder things - spirits, humans, stuff in between. But no one looked at it and went 'this is the serial killer game.' (I rather like Werewolf 2e, really.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The two example Geist Nightmares are You Can't Take It With You and Death Is A Prison.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You do realize you'll never, ever see an nWoD game that isn't mystical and occult, right? Even science and technology are vehicles for mysticism in the nWoD. See also: the God Machine, Demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mad science can't be "analyzed in a scientific manner". That's...kind of the point, it's just the trappings of science as movie set dressing over magic. Ants don't grow to 50 feet long and can't, and no matter how you use science, it won't make any sense because it's magic. The God-Machine looks like technology but you can't scientifically analyze it because it operates on rules that make no sense. It's magic. Mad science is magic, in any story it shows up in.