Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Making your sole customer focus nostalgic balding 40 year old weirdos instead of trying to appeal to new customers by not channeling the Platonic Ideal of Columbine is completely sound and has never hosed any industry over ever, so I can only see Paradox interactive going from strength to strength here.

Thing is, this industry already got hosed over by that. 40 year old weirdos ARE the industry at this point. New blood going into the hobby has shrunk to a barely visible trickle. TTGs ain't dying - they're dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Yawgmoth posted:

This is very true which is is why I see multiple groups on multiple college campuses with exclusively straight-from-high-school kids to new post-grads playing an assortment of TTGs.

Oh wait no it's the exact opposite of everything you just said. I'll never understand why people like you want this hobby, ostensibly your hobby, to die out in truth. It's not making Koch Brothers level money, but it's getting new blood of all ages and as long as people are willing to include new people instead of reacting with "you don't know and I won't teach besides this hobby sucks and is dead gently caress off" it will continue to exist.

Lightning Lord posted:

I don't think Cirno wants that, I think he's just embittered from his time posting on Paizo's forum and ENWorld. That's all on him tho.

UrbicaMortis posted:

Yeah, in my uni the tabletop RPG society was the third biggest society. But I can understand Paradox's decision. I quite liked the honesty of just saying 'look, nobody bought this so we're not going to chance spending a ton of money making a game that we don't have a guaranteed market for'.

Maybe if they put out a few oWoD games, they'll feel confident trying a little cross-branding and do something NwoD, although I doubt it.

The problem is that we have different interactions I suppose?

I was in college altogether from 2004 though 2012, more then one school, and I never saw robust ttg playing. From what I've heard from friends and contacts still at those schools, that hasn't changed. You have the Paradox dude there openly stating that ttgs are not a primary business because they just barely make enough money to stay afloat. That's not just nWoD - that's the whole goddamn industry. Nobody's asking for Koch Brothers money, but I don't think it's even making current day comic books money. Of course I don't want this hobby to die out; I'd love for it to grow and flourish. But what you want isn't always what you get.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nah, it's possible; there are plenty of games that actually create such a mood, whether it's Silent Hill or Killer7 or even something like Outlast. Granted, those games probably have more limited appeal than an Werewolf MMO, but it's definitely possible with the right dev team.

Yeah, you could absolutely make a CoD game, but it'd have to be a CoD game - that is to say, you're a normal rear end human dealing with poo poo way above your ability to handle them. It'd actually be a great match for the horror (or potentially horror/action, but I think the more action the worse in this case) genre, but then, I dunno of many ttg properties that went into something OTHER then crpgs that tried to copy it's ruleset as much as possible (outside of the two arcade D&D games, which are the best two D&D games ever, coincidence?????). The horror genre for games has gotten substantially more popular with the rise of youtube superstars and twitch streaming, and I could see a CoD based game fitting in there perfectly.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ferrinus posted:

It'd have to be a CoD game, which is to say that it could run the gamut from Amnesia: Dark Descent to Saint's Row 4 to Endless Legend. What the gently caress.

I'm talking about the general core feel that at least I got reading the core book, which was definately a lot more "think before you act, move carefully to uncover clues, watch your back, and be ready to run," that sorta thing. I most definitely did not get any sort of Saint's Row 4 or Endless Legend vibe.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ferrinus posted:

That's because the corebook is about playing regular humans who stumble across the supernatural. Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Hunter, etc. hit different notes.

Thus me stating it would have to be CoD, not Vamp or Hunter. Is there even a CoD Hunter or Mage yet? I thought only Vamp and Wolf were fully in 2e.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Freeform roleplaying has always been big and has only gotten increasingly massive with the expansion of social media. They could be a massive potential audience. You just gotta a) convince them they need your rules, and b) convince them to buy them in the first place when they could just keep doing their own thing for free.

I have no idea how to do either of those things. Far as I can tell, most of the industry doesn't even consider it.

Although funny enough, with its heavy LARP background, WoD could/could've potentially made ingrounds there. You'd want something extremely light, built around conflict resolution between players rather then battle threats, and - this being the hard bit - something built specifically to online play via social media. And of course, you'd need something they have to actually buy, and make them actually WANT to buy it. So good loving luck.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Lightning Lord posted:

Apparently the truckload of money it made was goosed by the fact that people really only saw it in 3D. Less tickets were sold than some other gigantic hits.

Yeah, Avatar made a poo poo-ton of money because of its 3D visuals (which to be fair still probably haven't really been beaten). oWoD ain't got poo poo to cover that sorta thing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm personally super eager to see their take on the loving Assamites. Let's see how low we can dig.

Kavak posted:

One thread of hope to cling to is that if Obsidian is writing the story, they aren't going to play it straight- KOTOR II and Mask of the Betrayer basically told their respective settings they were full of poo poo. Though with Chris Avellone gone, I'm not sure if that's true anymore.

Avellone never worked on Bloodlines. It was Mitsoda's baby.

...Though granted, he likewise doesn't work there anymore, and hasn't for some time.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Kurieg posted:

I'd be loving floored if they return the Get and Furies to their 1st ed portrayals. Literal Nazi Werewolves and militant cryptofeminists go.

For me it's more the emphasis on Europe, their note on how "radical fundamentalism" is something they want to touch in, and their weird hangup on "WORLD OF DARKNESS SHOULDA HAD A 9/11 SUPPLEMENT, COWARDS!" that has me thinking we are in for some incredible shitshow materials.

I have never played any of their video games though, so maybe they'll end up being real respectable about, poo poo, I dunno. But I do know that this hobby in general has been loving awful when it comes to just about anything that touches the Middle East.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Daeren posted:

Is this the part where we bring up that JoJo should be an inspiration for the inevitable Geist 2e again?

'cause in a perfect world the rules for Geists would be able to faithfully recreate Stands.

Geist needs two things:

1) Stands

2) An actual conflict

I wonder what could bring those two things together...

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
One of the bronze era demon things is built around, essentially, a bronze era that perhaps never was. Assyria is ALL VAMPIRES, the werewolves are nomadic hunters and travellers, and there' s a single unnamed mythical city that the God-Machine controls. The Demons in this case are literally the first to ever rebel or fall, and they want to destroy the city before the God-Machine completes whatever it's sinister plan was.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The main thing with the God-Machine is that one of it's goals, if not the primary goal it has, is to continue existing, which means maintaining the status quo at all costs. Given how lovely the universe is, it's hard not to see that as a potential antagonist of some sorts. Maybe the Demons won't bring about something better, but that doesn't mean it has to be worse.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
While it's true that CofD stories aren't really in this for the happy endings, it's likewise too that, in the general media at large, homosexual relationships seem to exist exclusively to die in tragedy. It's possible to go "no see EVERYONE suffers in CofD" and still be guilty of throwing all the gays into the woodchipper. I don't read any of the fiction so I couldn't say either way there.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Commissar Budgie posted:

All players are required to take "Flaw: Itty Bitty Head, Giant Body"

Bill down the hall is running a similar game, but it's way, way better, and a lot of people aren't sure why you aren't playing that one instead.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Adamant Hand essentially suffers (at least from what I can see) from overvaluing yantra usage. The idea is: the mages all start setting up their yantras for their big spell, but that means spending their whole turn doing it. The Adamantine Arrow duder can punch a dude while setting up their yantra!

The problem is, people really aren't going to do that first thing. In reality, they're typically going to use one reflexive yantra and fire off that spell in round 1. Outside of rote spells, yantra bonuses really are just not worth spending a whole round. +1 or +2 will practically never be worth giving up your entire turn. So, you know, people don't do that.

Adamant Hand fixes a problem that doesn't really exist.

Now, the way you CAN see Adamant Hand is that it essentially gives you sort of a "freebie" +1, as most Adamantine Arrow duders are going to probably begin the fight by punching you in your stupid goddamn face. Which would work great if it actually was just a floating +1 to whatever your next spell is. But it isn't. Unfortunately, you need to know that you're casting a spell in round two and what spell your casting, all before round two even happens, and it in turn has to be a spell that's unimportant enough that "punch them in their stupid goddamn face" is a better option for round 1, but somehow not for round 2. That's very specific. Specific enough so that I don't really see it coming up, uh, at all.

So yeah, it's kinda (really) garbage.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
As I said, you hit a really weird problem where you have to have a spell in mind a) that cannot be obsolete by the time you cast it, b) that is not a better option then punching a dude in the face RIGHT NOW, c) IS a better option then punching a dude in the face next turn, and d) needs a single +1 bonus.

It's just extremely, extremely specific. Again, a level of specific that I'm not sure is really going to come up.

The Arrow is probably built up explicitly to put enemies down fast and hard without needing to throw magic around. Hell, start the day off with a day-long duration cast of Kinetic Blow and you're stunning and knocking down everyone you punch with a weapon bonus to your unarmed attacks - it's gonna be hard in the middle of a down and dirty fight to think of a spell that beats your punch there. "I COULD give this bad guy a penalty to their rolls, or I could just beat them unconscious and take them out of the fight now right..." Yeah, an Adamant Hand could punch then cast two magic missiles rather then cast one on each turn, but then, they could also just punch twice.

If the bonus was hefty enough to matter (seriously, +1?), or if it was more flexible, that'd be different. But, well, it's neither.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Not according to some 60-odd playtest sessions.

Then I respectfully wonder where a +1 bonus is worth ditching your full turn - where it'd be better then just trying to cast the spell twice. I just don't see where it'd happen.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Okay, I have to ask: Is there anyone in this thread who cannot figure out the answer to this in their head?

Literally studied statistics for a bit in college and I can generally figure this out pretty easily if and only if I'm figuring how many successes on average I get, NOT what my chances are of getting at least one success. To get your odds of just one success: you've got a 3/10 chance of success, go for the inverse like blastron said. You got a 7/10 chance to fail (.7^x) so the probability of getting at least one success is 1-.7^x. I never memorized my times tables, and I'm loving terrible at multiplying sevens, so that would absolutely require a calculator to figure out if I'm rolling more then, like, two dice. To calculate with the 7's, it's 1-.6^x, and guess what, I ain't that much better at exponentially multiplying sixes. So no, can't do that one in my head.

It is, in fact, actually way easier to get your "vaguely on average how many successes do I get," if a lot more loosey goosey and a lot more "technically accurate." You get one success for every three dice if its 8+, one success for every two and a half die (with a bit of wiggle room; with 8+ you've got a nice even x/3, with 7+ it's 4x/9, and gently caress that, so we just go "OK 4/10 WITH SOME WIGGLE ROOM GOT IT) if it's 7+, so, on average, those two dice pools will give you the same results of 2 successes, though the 7+ has more weight behind it. So yeah, I can do that one in my head, but it's not going to be nearly as accurate as the first one.

EDIT: It gets way more loving complicated once you change it to reroll 9's or 8's, incidentally. 10's a nice, easy number to work with. 8? gently caress 8.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 26, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ferrinus posted:

Really, the problem here isn't that it's hard to calculate, but that there's a right answer. If you want more successes, you pick 5 dice t7, not 6 dice t8. The former's just better, and any game mechanic that asks a player to choose one or the other is just wasting that players' time. That's why a system like ORE that cares both about success count and success quality assigns different narrative meanings to each, such that you're not simply playing a math game to maximize one value but choosing between two different values with different effects on the story.

Funny enough, wasn't ORE literally invented because Stolze used to work for White Wolf and realized that nobody had any idea what the actual mathematical difference was between requiring more successes vs using a higher TN?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Daeren posted:

There's going to be enough novitiate supernaturals boinking each other and finding common ground that there will inevitably be some inter-spooky alliances that are off the official record, which can be used to either pull strings at appropriate times or catalyze temporary working alliances for a mutual interest.

If human history teaches us anything about how humanity views things that are "different," it's that the two inevitable options are "kill it" and "gently caress it."

WoD: Monster Hearts. Which is basically just Monster Hearts, really.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The idea that an inability to adapt to technology is somehow an inhuman one is absurd. Have you literally never met other human beings? If anything, making old-rear end vampires awful at using technology does the opposite - it makes them way more startlingly human. An enemy that can easily adapt to any changes thrown at them without worry is a frighteningly alien one.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Honestly the more amusing idea is the one Elder who patiently and angrily writes to the History Channel almost every day with a list of corrections.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Right, I'm not trying to say "old vampires should totally be lovely with technology," I'm just pointing out that being unable to adapt to social or technological changes is not some alien vampiric weirdo trait, it's what humans do all the time.

If you really wanted to get into it, I could see that the less humanity an Elder has, the better they are at adapting not just to tech but to, well, anything. The Beast keeps them honed.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Little_wh0re posted:

A cheeseburger is a pizza

A pizza is really just a very specialized open face sandwich

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mendrian posted:

I think what KotE did right - amidst a sea of doing things wrong - was introducing the idea that there was another, different kind of vampire that existed outside of the Cainite lore. The fact that it was grounded in the idea that Asia or Asians were so spiritually different from Westerners that they died differently was kind of problematic but the basic idea was sound. Immediately divorcing from the idea that only one cultural group of people can become Splat Monster #121 for biospiritual reasons is probably a strong move. If you want to say that your Asian vampires use the same rules but have slightly different parameters, or arise from a geo-cultural specific ritual or resource, go nuts, but you'd have to be very careful with the latter.

Right, but didn't Reckoning already "solve" that problem by essentially stating "vampires are not literally Christian monsters" and such?

Like, the issue "Cainite lore" had was just that - it gave all vampires a single starting point in a biblical figure and then stated that this was actually Objectively True, and there was pretty much no actual mystery to it at all.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mors Rattus posted:

If it did, it was lying. oWoD has always been an explicitly Judeo-Christian setting.

My brain said "Requiem," my fingers typed "Reckoning." Meant to say nVampire solved that issue.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

The worst thing for me is not how absolutely lovely this person is, but their whole "gee I'm just trying to have an interesting conversation about some positive changes to make to the game!" gimmick as to why the game needs to be all about straight men.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

citybeatnik posted:

gently caress, that's how WW got its start, really. Wanting to play all the loser and rejects and the people ignored.

Thing is, those teased and bullied goths and drama fans are now mostly 30/40-somethings, doing mostly well for themselves. To them, Vampire wasn't about playing the losers and rejects and ignored people - it was about playing how they viewed themselves, but now with all the power. It's why Vampire so very quickly became little more then "supers with fangs."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mendrian posted:

Honestly one of the big problems with running LARPs is fine-tuning the plot so that players actually react to it. Of the four or five Vampire LARPs I've played most of the time you get maybe 10-20% of the players who actually want to play Vampire, specifically, and go all-in on backstabbing, making enemies, and generally playing the game 'correctly' - that is to say, as a PvP social experiment where the fail state is character death.

I think it says a lot more that playing the Vampire LARP "correctly" meant more or less stripping everything out that involved vampirism.

Like, that 30%+ probably wanted to get up to some vampire shenanigans, and what they got was boring goth politics instead.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Crasical posted:

A question with a bit more weight and less me being disappointed you can't play as Darkstalkers' Hsien-Ko:

Can Vampires do anything... constructive, really? One of the things that stuck with me when reading the book was that everything you do, ultimately, hurts people. Feeding from mortals harms them, ghouling them harms them, creating more Kindred harms them....

That's more or less sort of the theme of vampires outside of oWoD dumbfuckery: they're parasites. At best they can occasionally provide some mutually beneficial symbiosis, and they can sometimes use their shittiness to not lovely ends (like ghouling someone who'd die without it a'la Bloodlines) but, when all is said and done, they are leeches.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Loomer posted:

There needs to be another, even worse, panel for that webcomic with the dog on fire. It no longer reflects this situation.

https://thenib.com/this-is-not-fine

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Keep this poo poo up and you'll all end up in the doghouse.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Obligatum VII posted:

please stop dogpiling on this pun, I got here first!

Well we can't just keep using the same one, help us out, throw me a bone or something!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The problem with Beast - and the reason people still like it - is actually real easy to understand. Beast is all text. It tells you upfront who the "bad guy" and the "good guy" is. And guess what? Most gamers stop there. They don't pay attention to subtext. The game tells them What Is and they accept it. Like, yes, the subtext of Beast, what's going on underneath what it blandly tells you, is loving horrifying, but plenty of people don't care, because they never think that far. So RPG.net and GiantITP go wild over Beast because neither community is especially made of people who bother looking farther then skin deep.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
As strong as Mages are, nothing beats a Demon who Goes Loud, because at that point they can literally just start making poo poo up and it happens, as they have access to any potential demon ability that could exist.

I mean, THAT path ends with mass angel pile on, but hey, you get glory for a few minutes.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Optionally you just play Godbound.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mage makes sense in the context of it's creation, or at least at the time of it's creation. The 90's were all the gently caress about reality being subjective and you being tricked or fooled or whatever into not seeing THE TRUTH. Baby's first gnosticism.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The problem I have with oMage is that it's legitimately hard to see any themes in it that aren't already better in nMage.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
You'd have to find it but SOMEWHERE on these god forsaken forums, someone did a big post about how large parts of Australia were literally founded by occult believers, and some of the cities were build to their specification and there's real life occult poo poo all over the drat place because the non-criminal European settlers were batshit insane.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Avellone wasn't really involved in New Vegas outside of the DLC, so his absence hardly says much about the state of any New Vegas 2.

New Vegas 2 won't happen because

Kavak posted:

...and the game basically being done so Zenimax could try and buy out Obsidian (They do this with a lot of companies, it's what killed Prey 2), I don't see it happening.

...It essentially ended up being some loving weird plot to kill Obsidian. Obsidian and Bethesda/Zenimax have very poor relations right now, for probably obvious reasons.

But New Vegas was also sorta the moment where they realized that nobody else is allowed to make open world games in the industry, as nobody gets the same free pass against criticism that Bethesda gets.

So yeah, don't expect a second rendition of New Vegas, uh, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Pope Guilty posted:

Where can I read about Bethesda trying to kill Obsidian? Are they angry that Fallout 3&4 look awful next to New Vegas? What even the hell?

Basically, Zenimax/Bethesda loves to use really shady and lovely ways to draw companies into contract for them, then mercilessly screwing them over so they can buy them out. Often times it involves futzing with their milestones, suddenly cutting off resources at random, promising extra production time then suddenly cutting it instead, and at some points literally going full loan shark, giving the developers extra resources then drawing out ridiculous fees for it. Typically, Bethesda contracts out the developers then finds excuses and reasons to stop paying them, then Zenimax offers "momentary" loans to help cover costs, then pulls those loans and coerces the company into letting themselves get bought out for insultingly low numbers, or else they'd be taken to court for contract breaching. Again - loan shark poo poo, but on an industrial scale for games. They used this poo poo to devour Arkane Studios and almost killed off Dishonored in the process. They destroyed Prey 2 when Human Head failed to fall for their attempts at sabotage and settled for just ruining them and killing off the game instead.

There's every reason to believe New Vegas was one of their many extortion attempts, and to be frank, it almost succeeded - Obsidian would've died and most likely would've then been snapped up by Zenimax had Pillars of Eternity not saved them. Zenimax put themselves in charge of QA, and then, uh, didn't do it. There were also a lot of rumors that they were leaning heavily on reviewers to ensure New Vegas wouldn't get a high enough metacritic score to gain their bonus, though none of those rumors were ever verified - but it's exactly what Zenimax/Bethesda's MO is.

Seriously - Zenimax/Bethesda is scummy as gently caress.