Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Or the more menacing option that nobody really Falls, and it's all just another level of operation for the God-Machine. Probably not true most of the time but hey, not like that will stop demons being paranoid as poo poo about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Effectronica posted:

Man, the Conspiracies are all about shucking off the idea that you're an ordinary human defending other humans, except the one that's all about couriering between monsters and the one that's about being Spirit-Claimed. Like, when you think about what VASCU is really testing for, it's drat disturbing.

But conversely, the VASCU is the FBI. Like ok, you'll have to deal with some crazy magic poo poo, but you'll be trying to put it into jail. You are a real agent, you have a real badge. And again, it's magic jail, but jail. And sometimes it's some crazy rear end mutant that is eating people and making clothes out of their skin and you have to put it down, but it's never really the objective. You'll do paperwork about it, and you'll have to deal with assholes at TFV taking over cases, and you are in all ways just a 'regular' agent. And a lot of the time you'll just get roped into regular everyday cases. And it's somewhat of an open secret what you do at the FBI, and wider agencies and local law enforcement know if you have an....interesting case this is who you call. In so many ways their job is really only as disturbing as people that have to deal with regular serial killers and kidnapping cases, which isn't exactly a picnic.

It is to some degree the most "life goes on" of all the Hunter groups, because things like the Union are inherently carrying on with a level of vigilantism. The system can't deal with your problems, or the system is co-opted by the problem, and you take it into your hands to get the job done. The VASCU is the magic police. They are magic, they deal with magic, and as best as they can without causing mass hysteria they just...do their job. It is in many ways the most terrifying thing the monsters can imaging happening when they think of humans finding out. Witch hunts and insanity and some grand conflict is romantic in a lot of ways. What if everyone found out what you were and didn't care? What if you weren't some grand gothic monster, you were just some weird sex pervert they put in a cell? Like you aren't mythic, you are a case number and a short bitching session about how they hate flying into Denver, and then you are totally forgotten. When the guys that can literally copy every aspect of your mind to question at will don't know a lot about your grand societies because it honestly doesn't help that much for dealing with the crimes you commit.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Poor Division Six is such a knock off TFV. TFV is a secret government group taking orders from vampires. Division Six is....a secret government group taking orders from Mages. Ok, I don't know how massively different that is beyond actively putting a name to who is running them. All we really get is "Some vampires" for TFV. I guess D6 puts a specificity to who has co-opted you. In comparison the Barrett Commission has a very specific purview: A lot of monsters, mostly vampires, like co-opting the bureaucracy to work for them. This is actually way more hosed up and destructive than turning into a bat or making someone do what you want with a creepy stare. Shouldn't someone that knows about them be focusing on stopping that sort of thing? Well here we are. And the VASCU is just cops. And sure, their boss probably isn't something human, but he works really hard and doesn't seem to give them crazy orders. They aren't waging a secret war with high tech weapons and trying to convince people a dragon attack was swamp gas reflected off light from Venus as a secret government test plane flew overhead.

Honestly at the end of the day there's more thematically interesting ground with the idea of "The government trying to function in the face of monsters" than "Black ops hit squads". What does the black ops kill squad do? Gee I don't know, kill poo poo and cover it up? What do you do when you realize the zoning commission is in the pocket of Big Fang? Um.....drat, what do you do?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

It seems like it's the Dark Mother stuff that's trying to slip itself behind all the preexisting material and become a codified creation myth. The God Machine doesn't explain anything, but when you say that all the world's monsters are part of an extended family with roots in astral space you're saying quite a bit.

Hilariously, who would care? Vampires that really go deep into the idea of researching their past can come to the conclusion there really isn't such a thing as 'vampires'. There are a lot of broadly similar creatures that actually have different sources that just tended to evolve towards a common point. If someone said "Well all those monsters, they came from our Mother", it's not exactly a message they haven't heard before. The Crone would go "See?!" and everyone else would go "Who cares, I'm still hosed now.". Werewolves would say nothing, because you call yourself a Beast and you feed off their breeding stock, so they are probably killing you. Predators don't tend to lay down with other predators, it's ecological stupidity. They don't kill all the spirits/humans because both require each other to function properly. Why does anyone need your Beast? Changelings would say a variation on "Who cares" until they heard about your admiration for the True Fae and how you can invade people's dreamscapes and turn them into monsters, at which point we are back to murder. Prometheans manifestly aren't the children of any Dark Mother. They are made by people and other Prometheans. Any Beast trying to sell the Principle as just another monster is going to have a hard sell on their hands. Sin-Eaters are made of dead people. If all dead people are monsters, effectively everyone is a monster, and thus nobody is. Mummies have their dark gods, and if those gods are actually monsters? They come from a time when distinctions like that mean nothing. They have power, they use it, they are gods. The end.

So even if every single word the Beast said was true, it would change nothing and they'd still be a joke to everyone around them. And that's even before a demon walks into the picture and everyone coughs awkwardly and refuses to make eye contact.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Listen: Sometimes you want to have a rational conversation with someone, and sometimes they are being an annoying twit and you want to tell them their penis is made of spiders. It's the way of the world.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Loomer posted:

It's one of the big tragedies of their Revised book - the original VEs who were the most open, pragmatic and approachable convention, the most willing to work with others, are pretty much gone now.

It's the natural consequence of the total irrelevancy of the Technocracy/Tradition conflict. Neither side truly matters [They've never been more than a reed in the water, slightly changing the flow of history. Humanity itself rejected magic all on it's own], and there are forces outside the human paradigm that would absolutely unmake everything if given a chance....and all the bullshit infighting among humanity gives them that chance. It makes perfect sense that the group that was the least attached to dogmatic conflict in the Technocracy and was out on the fringes of reality fighting horrors would ultimately decide to stop playing around. The Void Engineers were the most idealistic of the conventions, and that makes them profoundly dangerous. They are now the closest to a purely military tradition that has ever existed, and they could absolutely decimate everyone if they just let loose. So now you have a group that believes in the fundamental ideals of the Technocracy, but not the machinery that's grown up around it, and that doesn't hate or even pity the Traditions, but absolutely believes they are the past. And they've completely rededicated their efforts to the fighting of magical threats.

Someone in the Technocracy or the Traditions is going to accidentally push them too far at the wrong time, and it's going to be hilarious.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Daeren posted:

This is basically why at the end of the day I really can't take most of oMage too seriously. As presented, it's a giant, world-shaking, cosmological conflict over what pattern the wallpaper should have while the entire house is on fire and falling off a cliff, and the writers themselves rarely seem to understand that.

I've always thought that explicitly intended or not it was the perfect reason to keep Mage in the oWoD. Here you are with nearly infinite potential, and it doesn't matter because everyone decided *you* don't matter. And when faced with the stark reality of having to answer the question of "Well, why *do* you matter?" absolutely nobody has come up with an answer. So the Traditions blame each other, or the Technocracy, or humanity, and they fight for supremacy or freedom or enlightenment....and nobody cares, and because the apathy of everyone is given cosmological fiat they are wasting their time. The Technocracy is in basically the same ship, but they at least had the good sense to join up with the winning side while slowly killing themselves. While the Traditions will be crushed, the Technocracy will just slowly fade away.

Apathy is the Great Evil of all the lines, sometimes implicitly and sometimes explicitly. I always thought Changeling would have been a lot more horrifying if the implication was that people still have dreams, faded as they may be, they just aren't dreaming about the things that made the Changelings anymore. The hopes and fears and desires that lead to trolls and slaughs and sidhe are outdated, so the Dreaming no longer empowers them. They can't get to Arcadia because it no longer has primacy in the Dreaming, and is physically someplace else entirely and slowly fading away. It doesn't mean there won't be something else to replace them in the time that's left, it just means that there's nothing the Changelings can do to adapt to this new world. It doesn't want them. Banality isn't The Man that just doesn't get how wild and free you are, Banality is the jaded audience no longer entertained by your story.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
To be fair, as a minor template in the WoD it's less "I'm going to die in 20 years?" and more "Holy poo poo, how did I live through 20 years of that?".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Changeling: Survive and avoid the Fae. Actually I'm a little shaky on this one and don't remember what changelings are supposed to do besides that.

Try to get your life back, or at least *A* life back, as an insane fairytale creature. You can't really run away from your Keeper, you have to run *towards* something. What did you want so badly it kept you alive through madness?

quote:

Beast: Fulfill whatever hunger you have and kill the normies?

This and Mummy are probably the only two lines where I've gone "I don't get it". Like there's interesting work in both, some compelling plot elements here and there, but I fundamentally don't get why I'm supposed to care about their existence. It's not that I'd see myself playing all the other lines, I can just understand what is potentially compelling about them. I fundamentally don't see what is compelling about Beast. What am I supposed to be getting from their conflict, what about them in the world is it that is supposed to draw me to them?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The book is so relentlessly self-righteous it becomes tedious. Like vampires loving eat people, and they have an entire faction that tells them that God Almighty wants them to eat people [Hell, arguably two or more factions with that message], but somehow it manages not to come off as self-righteous as Beast. Mage, the one where you are so special and unique you managed to awaken to the greater truths of the universe and are now set apart from the common rabble, Mage not as self-righteous as Beast. Infernal, where you can play actual forces of sin demons, not as self-righteous as Beast. Nothing else they've ever done is so relentlessly up it's own rear end about how special they are as Beast.

When you actively take the time to say "It's actually impossible to be a good person and a Hero, because if you were a good person you'd stop being a Hero" and you still fail to make me care about how terrible they are, you might have to dial down how poo poo your protagonists are, or accept that maybe your antagonists have some moments that deserve empathy.

e: I mean God drat I don't care how many times you reference subverting accepted norms with the role of monsters in stories, they are still assholes.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 3, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kurieg posted:

I think my main problem is this. If your response to people finding your villain splat sympathetic (and in fact preferable to the player splat) is to codify the rules such that the villains are required to be reprehensible monstrous bastards to continue existing, you may want to rethink the fundamental assumptions of your game line.

The fact that there are uncomfortable parallels to be drawn between real world oppressed groups and beasts is just icing on the cake of terrible that is this game.

Ha ha ha, not just bastards, but retarded bastards. There is a little sidebar that explains that it's almost impossible to explain to a Hero he has the ability to place weaknesses on Beasts, because his hosed up and obsessive mind won't accept it's not something intrinsically wrong with the Beast that's been there all along. Even if he knows it's something the monster wasn't afraid of before through practical experience. And even if you DO convince him, through a moderately challenging social maneuver, he'll probably just rationalize it away eventually.

Heroes have mechanically imposed stupidity.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I think the worst part of the book for me is actually a tiny part, where it talks about how the Beasts are sort of warily respected by the Gentry and how Changelings will sometimes feed powerful Beasts in the hope they will intercede on their behalf if the Gentry come.

gently caress you book, your poo poo-tier nightmares are exactly the sort of thing every single Changeling risked their soul to get away from, and even the most amoral of them would probably stomp a Beasts dick into the dirt just to show off to other Changelings how badass they are.

That or the fact that the majority of the Hunter entry talks about killing Heroes, or how the poor Beasts might make Hunters morally conflicted rather than the obvious just killing the God drat monsters. Jesus Christ are the writers in love with the smell of their own farts on this one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
There is massive dissonance in the book, and it contradicts itself wildly. Like the Storytelling section talking about rejecting the monomyth and not just reversing it where the Beast is the real hero, but the entire loving point of their main transcendent path is that it requires you to humiliate and degrade a Hero. It is impossible to integrate those two points. And yet there you are, preaching that Beasts are all about subverting the stupid and regressive myths that keep down cool sexhavers like them, but then handing them ultimate power for embracing it and making themselves the stars in the end.

Basically everything good happens to the Beasts, and everyone that opposes them is poo poo, and all the supernaturals of the WoD stood up and clapped when they realized this.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
You know who else can't have an Integrity higher than 4 to start with? Slashers. Who are also more sympathetic and easier to play than either Beasts or Heroes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I do love the almost explicit mention that playing as a serial killer that derives sexual release from strangling women is fine, and here are the rules for that, but if you want to play an internet troll? That is a bridge too far sir, they would never stoop to allowing that sort of behavior. By nature that makes Heroes the least empathetic group in the entire nWoD that is still nominally human. Possessed by a demon, slaughter people for blood to stay young forever, eat babies? Whatever, that's cool. Are regressive and stupid? gently caress YOU, YOU MONSTER, YOU WILL NEVER BE ACCEPTED IN THIS PLACE!

Delenda est bestia. Or something, I think it's supposed to be dative. Latin has too many loving declensions.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Ae would be the dative, yeah.

I think I'm just going to accept that Beasts make a wonderful thing to let people kill when they want to feel better about themselves, or a note on the oddness of the other realms interacting with ours. Here's what happens when a destructive dream form takes up residence on the mortal plane! On that level at least, they excel wildly.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

illrepute posted:

What happens if a Beast just gets a TF:V JDAM dropped on his head instead of being offed by heroes?

The world is a better place.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I'd pledge a hundred dollars if they made that the cover picture.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I mean the book is pretty much done, but honestly there's probably nothing in it that couldn't be fixed with like 2 solid months of editing and maybe 10 to 15 pages on the Primordial Dream and the role it has in the cosmology. It still probably wouldn't end up a book I'd like, but it'd be internally consistent and add something to the setting that way.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Does the author of this poo poo just hate Demon or something?

Same exact guy wrote for both.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Beast is giving me ideas at least. It's making me want to push the section of Slashers that talks about how VASCU agents are psychics, and could potentially learn psychic powers if you wanted them to, in a Storyteller I know's face. And then talk about how psychics can enter the Temenos.

Because clearly the answer to all this bullshit is arresting the Dark Mother for child abuse.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I'm perfectly willing to arrest humanity's collective unconscious. Containment is going to be an issue, as is setting up a trial that doesn't break the laws of God and man, but I like to consider those all tomorrow's problems.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's been said here, there, and everywhere but the biggest gently caress up was probably in setting the power dynamic exactly backwards from what it should be. Heroes should create Beasts, not the other way around. You can't really have an oppressed minority stand in that that creates their own oppressors [Or at least empowers them to oppress even better], it's a terrible foundation to build a metaphor off of. There may be a lot wrong with the portrayal of Beasts, but that is like the foundational statement everything else has to build off of. "What is a Beast?". If by nature the act of being a Beast is empowerment, you've probably hosed up. Being a Beast should be bad, and rejecting the narrative should be what leads you to being empowered. If you are empowered from moment one what the hell is your game about?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Nah, your fetch is just a magical construct of twigs and trash.

Twigs and trash and a bit of your soul. There's also the implication that no matter how hosed up your fetch ends up [And some don't, some do an ok enough job at being you. Maybe even better if you were poo poo at it.], at the end of the day it's a type of hosed up you had inside you to start with. Which is why I liked the option to join with your fetch and reintegrate them wasn't sold as the 'right' or 'good' option. Just because it's a part of you doesn't mean it's a good part of you. You may get a bit of your soul back, but it doesn't mean it's a part of your soul you'd particularly want, or at least it might have a cost you aren't willing to pay. And that conversely there are plenty of changelings throughout the books that just.....leave their fetch alone. It's doing a good enough job being you, you probably wouldn't, why rock the boat? It's all well and good to say it's a freakish non-person that stole your life, but really...how much of a person are you at this point anyway?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

my only complaint is now I remember Kyle XY existed

What do you have against Kyle XY? Lot of cool people got a few years of paychecks off that show!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

boogaleeboo

were you on kyle xy

No. Maybe. ABC Family is a powerful and amoral beast that devours all in it's path, you can't judge me!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Consider, though, how brutally the God Machine deprotagonizes Demons.

Yeah, it's pretty great. They are basically fighting gravity on moral grounds and they can absolutely never know that everything they do isn't part of the intended order of the God-Machine. It's not like it's a person, there's nobody they can rail against. There's no office they can break into and SURPRISE, the hidden diary of the God-Machine. They can't even say there are meaningfully opposing the God-Machine on the small scale to any real degree, because they don't know what any of it really means in the end. Angels don't question, demons question and get no answers.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Angels are capable of negotiating, and we can assume that in such a situation the God-Machine would activate a "negotiator angel" it keeps in storage for that exact purpose.

You can, but you can also assume that the God-Machine completely ignores them and moves on to a Plan B of generating a series of perfect Counter-Earths to release against the stolen Earths at a moment's notice to negate their presence. Just to make it seem that more messed up and distant that it would institute a ridiculously arcane reality altering act of cosmic creation when simply talking to some random assholes could resolve things even faster and safer. If you want to play the God-Machine as more of an active force with some level of intent and perception, you can. And if you want it to be more Machine than God, you can make it something so totally alien to sentient thought that there is not and never will be any meeting of the minds or truly understanding it's operations. Demon gives you options to go down that road however you like.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It is incorrect to taze demons from the Inferno for not speaking American.

You taze them because they were clearly reaching for a gun. That is like law enforcement 101.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

gtrmp posted:

or else work on the premise that all souls and such are fragments of God, who no longer exists as a singular and discrete being.

To be fair you could slot that into the Vampire/Demon cosmology fairly easily. God touched the face of Creation, and hasn't been meaningfully heard from since. Did God turn away, or was the Infinite fractured by the act of touching the Finite? Really, and as always, Werewolf is the only one that sits on the sidelines. The Triat just doesn't easily map to any of the settings well. Christ, it barely maps to werewolf well.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Unless you also un-gently caress the triat at the same time as you remove them, I think that the mortals of the oWoD are better off with the Garou around, on the whole.

Nah, they are pretty poo poo. Retroactively killing them would be the greatest thing you could do to help the planet, but eliminating them all at whatever point you happen to be at is a good second best. Losing the Spirals is worth whatever vague benefit the rest of the Garou brought to the table. Let the Changing Breeds sweep up their kinfolk, and with the time bought with the Spirals out of the way they might just get a handle on everything. It's not like they have any particularly valuable skills beyond "gently caress people up". They aren't the best healers, they don't know the most about magic, they aren't the best traveled, they don't have the strongest spirit ties.....really they are pretty poo poo at everything but killing people on their own team. They did that *super* well on multiple occasions. Like I can't think of a single splat they ever did that was as toxic for the planet as the Garou were, and I include the literal Judeo-Christian demons in that list.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Smoosh the devil children and the Catholic hit squad into one group, it'd still be less of a mess than the three different alchemical groups they pretend is one Conspiracy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just don't see how it's a mess. It's a really old conspiracy that used to be one but, with time, splintered into three distinct branches. It's not hard, guys.

Branches implies they all basically believe the same thing, or operate in the same way. Instead you have western alchemists, religious crusaders, and street thugs. And....well I guess they all use magic potions. They have less in common with each other than The Long Night and MM. Like the only reason these groups would be join one larger entity is they, objectively, gave a poo poo that they all use magic potions more than social and theological divides. It is the only point they have in common after all. And that seems crazy. The only thing it has going for it is it's the type of crazy you can make plot hooks out of.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
That's like saying all men evolved from the same basic source, so in the grand scheme of things are our differences so big?

The answer is "Yes, yes they are" and you getting a rock to the face so I can steal your poo poo. Whatever basic root they might have had, they have all moved far beyond it and in wildly different directions. I don't see why any of them would care enough about some vague mystic history enough to put up with the assholes around them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Saying that doesn't actually have it make sense, is the thing. It's like Beast saying a lot of poo poo about how Beasts and Heroes work that don't actually track when you think about it for a second. Putting text to paper doesn't mean you've actually proven or explained anything. They never, to my mind, meaningfully connected the dots from A to B in why those groups whose big picture cliche nature [Western alchemists, Judeo-Christian religious warriors, street thugs] are so well defined would still work together. I wasn't kidding when I said there was more in common with the Long Night and the MM, and yet most people wouldn't think twice about Protestant Evangelicals having an issue with Papists. It would make as much sense for some vague Christian Conspiracy to have Catholic and Protestant wings as it does for the Ascending Ones to have Western Magicians and Street Gangs as it's. More, because those two things actually have a lot in common in comparison to the esoteric art of transmutation and spiritual enlightenment and getting your nut by getting junkies their fix.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dude, the three branches have a poo poo-ton in common, you just refuse to see it for some weird reason. You sound like you just randomly decided not to like them and then started making up stuff without actually reading their description.

Have you not read Compacts an Conspiracies and it's attempt to talk about what actually binds them together? Beyond it just flat out opening with "These are basically just 3 separate Compacts that operate as a Conspiracy", it comes down to....."Well a lot of different cultures revere Hermes Trismegistus". Like that's it, that is their big attempt to try and tie these disparate groups into a working whole, and they don't even really attempt to sell the drug dealer side of that equation. It rings hollow to me.

quote:

They are by far the least organized of the Conspiracies in the core.

To the point where I don't think they'd stand as a Conspiracy. A certain level of power and organization is supposed to be implicit in a Conspiracy, it's why they are a Conspiracy. Otherwise they'd just be a Compact. Or in this case 3 Compacts.

quote:

Read Foucault's Pendulum, aside from being a great book and pretty good inspiration, it will also help you understand the kind of "atmosphere" the Ascending Ones live in.

I find it one of Umberto Eco's less entertaining offerings and I have better things to do with my time than go back to it, and it doesn't really apply to any of their themes of the Ascending Ones. It'd be like me saying someone should go read Catch-22 to get a handle on the psychology of vampires. That sure is a book and a reference to a part of the WoD, I just don't see how you put the two together. If anything it'd work better for a Mage game, probably involving the Guardians of the Veil.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, as long as this has absolutely zero impact on the 2nd editions in CofD, more power to them. They paid a money, and if they want a nostalgia trip let'em have it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I for one am delighted to see a European company tackle a setting filled with racial stereotypes, some of whom are religious and Middle Eastern, in the 21st Century. If only so I can see how long it takes, in seconds, for them to lose their poo poo on twitter and say something absolutely horrific. I'm betting end of the first week after new Vampire comes out, tops.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
JoJo level crazy would make even the most gonzo of oWoD settings sit down and go "drat, we out".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The World is like the bar for crazy in the JoJo universe, as is Dio in general. "Beheaded vampire puts himself on the body of the man that nearly killed him and uses the body to father a child". That's an average encounter level, and you start getting freaky when you clear that. It's no "The body of Jesus Christ gave me magic dinosaur powers", or "I have mastered the golden ratio to such a degree I can spin objects through dimensional walls" . "Man completely recreates the universe, giving everyone precognitive abilities so that they will accept their fate and be at peace" is a solid villain goal, and sometimes your friends get brutally murdered....but it's cool, they are a turtle now.