Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Since they didn't write it, they used a good chunk of it as the basis of their Changeling: the lost core city, with the Blue Lady as a keeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mors Rattus posted:

My favorite thing about that was that it was all the fault of Ryan Dancey.

Really, EVE's just lucky he hadn't had the time to refine his ideas to PFO levels. They would have paid 70 bucks for a monocle that could be lost if their ship got blown up, and then have to shell out more cash when they next went to the tailor to replace it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Soulban apparently was one of the lead writers for Far Cry: Blood Dragon, which explains a lot. Or very little.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The Autumn Court of Changelings would probably be all over Beasts. Feed on fear, exploring secret origins of elf-magic? That's completely their thing.

Other courts? Not so much.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Your antlera and whatnot are not going anywhere, and they are still something that the Keeper forced on you, it's just that they are represented by your kith instead of yoyr Seeming.

You guys do know that kiths are not a subclass of seemings anymore, right? That Runnerswifts can be Beasts or Darklings or even Elementals or Ogres?

Yes, we get that, it's just that "Seemings are what you did to escape" vs. "Seemings are how you were changed by your captivity" is a pretty big thematic change and it's going to take some getting used to.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I will say the one thing I like about this is the "Changelings can always escape Mundane confinement because they've already been jailed by the best" thing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Metis always seemed like a Riel bad choice of word for the concept.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, that's way more interesting than 1E's "Lost who didn't get baked long enough" version.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

My real confusion here is the sample characters. Like one of the example characters in the splat writeups is basically just "The human antagonist from Ghostbusters, who feeds on the frustration he causes with petty red tape and inspection fines." Only he's actually a horrible monster.

Who the hell looks at Walter loving Peck and goes "That guy. He's who I want to play?"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I find myself trying to re-evaluate Beast more favorably because gently caress if I want to be on the same side as "Lord Raziere" in anything ever.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

You forgot "I can't understand how anyone can play a human character!"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So on a non-Beast note, they did the core mechanic reveal for the system that's the basis for the new Scion and Trinity games.

http://theonyxpath.com/codename-sardonyx-teaser-the-first/

Spoilers: Looks pretty much like a Storyteller/ing variant but with a fail forward thing built into the rules from ground zero.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 3, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

My main issue with Beast remains with how many of the sample characters are just...not things that sound interesting to play. Like..."I am a petty bureaucrat who feeds on the suffering of others trapped in the red tape I generate is the least inspiring sample PC ever committed to paper. " "I am a cab driver who is deliberately bad at my job to troll my passengers and drive up my fares." Like ignoring whether they're a metaphor for anything, these are the sort of things whose crossover potential with other splats is "Oh, you got a dramatic failure on your roll? Congrats, your restaurant is being inspected by the worst dude in the Department of Health." (By the way he's secretly a tentacle monster.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Cabbit posted:

Why don't people ever pull in Abrahamic stuff when doing big 'THE PANTHEONS OF THE WORLD' stuff? I'm sick of Thor, that dude's everywhere.

...At least in 1E Scion it's heavily implied that the Abrahamic god was actually a Titan who opposed both the gods and the other titans and who you'll have to eventually beat up. Like they never out and out said it was him but it was a Titan of Light with servants that looked like angels.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So someone pointed out elsewhere that if you just reverse who makes who, Beast almost works. Heroes occur naturally. They're basically a sort of variant proto-slasher. But when they go looking for a monster to slay, to vindicate their urges, sometimes, somehow, they make one. Maybe it's a blessing from the dark mother or whatever, but their helpless victim becomes a monster who can stand against them.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Given the whole 'dream invasion' theme of beast, on a random note, I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be the "Incubi" in C:TL dreamstuff; weird unexplainable monster poo poo that shows up in the dreams of others that you fight off for folks you have an Oneiromancy pact with.

Which makes the whole "Family" even -weirder-.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The only time I really ever encountered 'mage supremacy' as a thing in the NWOD was on a MUSH, which is sort of a degenerate example to begin with, but they rolled with all the sidebar optional rules to make ritual casting even better than it already was, so of course it went terribly, with dozens of people with maxed out stats and multiple actions lasting for a month at a time.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Really the bit that gets me is the people scouring over her sheet looking for proof she's evil. Hmm that is an awfully suspicious specialization to have, maybe it is she who is the real monster.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The thing that gets me is that a lot of examples of "Good Beasts" are basically quasi-villainous comedic stock characters. A hanging judge who enacts harsh penalties. A petty bureaucrat who feeds on the despair of people caught in his technically correct net of red tape. _A really bad cab driver_.

These are the guys where the audience cheers when they get their comeuppance, usually by falling face-first into a pile of manure or getting a pie to the face.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Can we just like...start handing them a copy of Monster Hearts or something?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, I think the integrity 4 thing is "We haven't internalized the switch from Morality", basically.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

"I want to be a dragon or a giant death squid" and also "I want to be Walter Peck from Ghostbusters" at the same time.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Drank from one of the weird underworld rivers and has some sort of condition related to that, like their tears are frozen or cause memory loss.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

One thing I'm kind of surprised they didn't go with is to give the beast soul, since it's kind of a distinct figure, its own set of aspirations. Fulfill those, and get satiety instead of beats. Like "Steal -that- thing for my hoard" or "I'm a Roc. Defeat an elephant, because gently caress elephants, man."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Aww, man, I hadn't heard. :(

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Actually, uh...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11666316/christopher-lee-dies-live.html

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I sort of reflexively twitched at the mention of Seelie and Unseelie in the creation example because of OWOD Changeling trauma, but the whole thing is solid and I want the rest of the industry courts because my last Changeling character was a an old time communist who went by Joe Hill and had deranged plans to unionize the workforce of Arcadia. (Workers of the Otherworld, unite.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Most hopeful news about the beast rewrite/addition: They're adding Tucker and Dale vs. Evil to the inspiration list.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The link talking about the Aeon Continuum right below the meeting notes has me more excited than I should be, because I really want to see Dark Eras style sourcebooks for the line. Seventies Pulp Revival Adventure, based on a mashup of Men's Adventure Novels+ Mystery solving teens cartoons.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Call it whatever big city you like but base all landmarks and locations from google maps searches of Vancouver.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

WereJace posted:

Does anyone have any 'absolute must-have' supplements for Changeling: the Lost? I'm prepping to run a WW2 era cloak and dagger sort of thing, if that helps.

Winter Masques has a ton of new kiths (Including several regional-folklore specific-ones), some new affinity contracts for seemings, and alternate court structures like the Directionals (Cool, playable) and Day and Night (Not so much on either.)

It also has one version of the rules for Dual Kith.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

"All kinds of blue collar workers see weird poo poo" is basically the why of one of the compacts, even.

For that matter, in a tier 2 or 3 hunter game, they should be getting leads from their compacts and/or conspiracies. The Network Zero guy gets an email with a youtube link going 'Check this poo poo out'. The Null Mysteriis flips through an underground peer reviewed journal about migration patterns in the haemophagic population. Etc.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

As a for-instance, I like springing 'Hey, this looks like a pattern of vampire attacks and then surprising hunters with that tongue parasite thing from one of the vampire Night Horrors books. It's a surprise that only works -once- with a single group but it's a very effective one.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I actually had a campaign pitch for a Monster of the Week game that should start...soonish that was basically "Reality show monster hunters find real monsters", but as a weird ongoing series premise instead of a one-shot where everyone dies.

quote:

Not long ago, you thought monsters were fake; and you should know- you were part of a ‘reality’ TV show that faked them. But no one was allowed to let on while the cameras were rolling. One of the producers used to work in wrestling, and he called the pretense that everything that happened on camera was real “Kayfabe”. “Be Fake”, backwards. No one involved really believed (Except maybe for one or two of the crew, the guys who built the gadgets to detect ghosts,) Neither did most of the audience, not really. It was all a show.

And then that all blew up in your face when you found a real monster.

And then another. and another.

You figured no one would believe you. I mean, you were a fake entertainment show, it’s in the disclaimer in really small print in the credits. So you tried to cover it up. But someone out there knew enough to realize that the sudden jump in the “FX budget” was the real thing. And now there’s a new producer who carries a gun under his suit jacket, and your contract has a disclaimer you don’t remember signing.

The new deal? Keep pretending to be a fake monster hunting show. But start hunting the real ones. And keep everyone convinced that it’s all a joke, and that monsters really -aren’t- real.

Don’t get killed, don’t go over budget, and whatever you do, don’t break Kayfabe.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

They 'forgot' to shut down one of the polls on time, so a setting everyone wanted seemed to win but as it turns out if they'd shut it down at the right time the other setting would have won, so the other setting won.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Kavak posted:

Forsaken werewolves shouldn't be Hunter werewolves, because unless you catch the former alone and bring a machine gun of silver, you're gonna get Lunacy'd and shredded.

Hunters take down the not-werewolves from Changing Breeds, and thus do the world a public service.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Looking at the very first post in that and ignoring the rest, all I can think is "So the Neverborn are Neverborn because they don't have parents, they were just raised by their GrandMaw."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I just tend to run with 'Really patriotic vampires, possibly founding fathers with fangs"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I wonder how someone else owning WW will affect OP's licensing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Well...huh.

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/659784786479738880