Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Daeren posted:

Trying to catalogue the genealogy of every single vampire mentioned in Masquerade material, back to Caine.

Loomer is quite insane, you see.

Didn't they already do that here?
http://vampirerpg.free.fr/Genealogy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Kurieg posted:

Uratha can walk up to any wolf-blooded and put the moves on them unless they already have a "True Love". There's a image in one of the books of a woman in a sheer dress swooning at the sight of a naked near-man werewolf swinging in through her window.

They can put the moves on them, but it doesn't convey any special advantage. There's just a natural attraction that works both ways. 'This phenomenon is not supernatural in origin and in no way forces a wolf-blood into anything; an uragarum who is married and isn't inclined to cheat on her spouse won't fall into bed with just anyone, werewolf or not (though she may well fantasize). It's an attraction that's pheromonal in nature, and the wolf-blood may well have no real idea why she finds the stranger so attractive - a classic case of "he's not ordinarily my type."'

And she's sitting on a bed.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Side note, confirming no Zeky officially, which I don't especially mind. Extempore are in, and they are 'gently caress it, create your own Lineage' with pretty rough guidelines, including one example that has an insanely broken power: it removes one success from all rolls against the Promethean, and if that makes a roll fail, they can spend Pyros (I think? Might be WP) to turn the roll into a dramatic failure.

There's another side effect. I'm not sure if it's meant to balance it out or what. Prometheans can resurrect themselves. If they die, once, they can journey to a river of death and return. But only as long as a majority of their heart survives. The sample Extempore doesn't have a heart, so loses this.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I don't really know how you extensively rework something whose core conceit is so fundamentally bad (our vampires are special and magical because they're Of the East right in the title). Maybe just quietly rename and republish VtM20 rules?

Yeah, why have them be special and magical easterners when they can be special and magical middle easterners cursed by god himself.

There's clearly more than enough room in the world of darkness for two groups of beings with an aversion to sunlight and a hunger for life.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

I'd just like to take this moment to say What the gently caress Crafts skill

How is Cooking, Painting, Construction, and Welding all the same loving skill

I think they took Painting out of it, the v5 playtest seems to have Art as a skill.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I loved how massive sweeping and lasting reform was basically the Camarilla's nuclear option. It totally fits because obviously they benefit from a corrupt city but just the image of some elder vampire paying for ads about how one of his proxies has been taking money from one of his other proxies to help yet another of his proxies profit under the table is pretty hilarious.

"Senator Davis has been working with United Chemical to sell local land rights to their shell company so they can expand operations without any oversight!"

"How do you know?"

"I'm paying off Davis and am on the board of United Chemical!"

Do any of the books get into that sort of play? Most of the ones I see involve playing a sort of ambitious gopher for vampires who do that. The other playstyles are things like Justicar or other vampire hunter.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

cptn_dr posted:

Does the fact that Deviant is getting a Dark Era imply that the Deviant core will be out before DE2? (Do we already know the Deviant release date/quarter and I've just missed it?)

No, but they'll probably have enough information to write a dark era about it. Over a month ago they were talking about sending the manuscript to White Wolf. The opening manuscript, not the nearly-finished one. I think, at least.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Vampire and Changeling feel like they make the most sense for pirate times

It's just going to be what a few people want. I won't expect Vampire to win anything, for whatever reason the popular kids in OP don't like it.

The Lasombra in WoD are apparently big on piracy, the man himself sometimes appears as a Kraken-ish monster and he's got some loyal handmaiden pirate queens.

nofather fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 7, 2017

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Basically a Golden Age of Piracy game could be full of all kinds of crazy supernaturals out on the high seas to escape the stultifying grime of the World of Darkness, having a brief, romantic, and incredibly violent escape.

It could easily fit all the splats. Even Mummy with some weird proto-Egyptian golden ship manned by a crew of cultists and the ghosts of cultists past searching for the relics cast into the sea by (insert evil name here).

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Hostile V posted:

Loomer's interesting write-up on pirate logistics is making me crave a game where vampires have taken that a step further and shacked up on a cruise ship. They're visiting exotic locales, have plenty of food to nibble on and have all sorts of excuses to be up at night and sleep all day.

Would be particularly nasty with the Malocusians, an Invictus bloodline that claims an area and eventually becomes one with it, including a nice Discipline that allows them to passively feed on everyone within.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Night10194 posted:

E: I mean, Requiem's factions are explicitly all the lies that vampires tell themselves to try to get away from the simple truth that they're parasites and the world would be better off without them and people seem to like that.

Vampire is humanity in microcosm, interesting.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Archonex posted:

Edgy. You better hope that Swedracula doesn't read this thread. If he does I fully expect him to drop a hot take like that in the core book.

Doesn't make it any less true. Mind, just because the world would be better off without us isn't enough justification for suicide or whatever. We've got our right to live, detrimental to others or not. No reason vampires should feel any different.

I think it would be harder, with the Jyhad young versus old bit and the Curse of Cain, rather than any natural blame for things. It might fit for Werewolf the Apocalypse, though.

nofather fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 10, 2017

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
It's not just erasing cookies and voting repeatedly, it's getting others to vote who aren't backing (members of gaming party or friends/family) or voting on other IPs you might have access to. So if you like Beast, you get your partner to vote on their computer and maybe do it at your workplace as well.

The first Kickstarter did pretty well but I've seen some people saying they're just going to wait until it's done and buy the individual chapters. The individual gameline pledges accounted for 94 backers in the first one.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is weird to me that Mummy is a part of these. I can't see them bringing it into line with the new editions anytime soon (if ever)

They're probably going after Geist. It's the only one that doesn't have a second edition done or in some form of being done right now. A safer idea might be to just have some easy rules update that won't require years of time and effort rewriting the setting information. Though they might want to rewrite the setting information I've no idea.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

that hasn't hurt any of their other kickstarters since that book came out

This is the first Chronicles Kickstarter since Beast, but I doubt that's it too. Some people like Beast, maybe they're voting for it. Or to fit in with the Pirates of the Caribbean stuff alongside Geist.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Zereth posted:

Don't forget that Holden and crew have been lying about the production of Exalted since the kickstarter, when they claimed the core rules were almost complete. Which was pretty quickly revealed to be not true, at all.

Yeah, their Infernals preview helped sell me, seemed like they had an idea of where they were going. I didn't follow the drama, just saw it as another Peter Molyneux type thing, big promises, haphazard work and little follow through.

I get being gunshy about new writers/developers but there has to be some medium. People are also complaining that the existing writers and developers are doing too much, which is slowing down the products they want to get. Unless Onyx Path suddenly gets backed by Hasbro and can pay everyone a nice full time salary they only option is to get new writers, and they're going to take time to become great writers (or just quit).

nofather fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 14, 2017

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Mendrian posted:

I think if anything is hurting the OPP brand it's probably uncertainty over NuWhiteWolf, in both directions.

Yes. Providing things are normal for Onyx Path it seems like they'll be better off when WW takes Classic stuff off their hands, more time for Chronicles stuff and WW can focus on Classic on their own. But I'm not sure if there's any caveats in the agreement, like a specific way Chronicles books must be written. A paranoid part of me worries about there being some bizarre rules or limitations passed down to OP.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I've seen it referred to as WWE a couple times, is it White Wolf Entertainment now?

McMahon would probably sue if it got big.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Kurieg posted:

"Oh mah god king, that man's got a family."
"No he doesn't, JR, his family has been dead for centuries. All that's left is the hunger."
Just like the deep all consuming hunger we have for Jack Links Beef Jerky."

I would not be surprised at all if a lawsuit involved Martin being invited to the settle things in the ring dressed in his LARP gear.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

There's also probably a lot of people asking themselves "what stops nuWW from expanding these decisions I hate to Onyx Path licensed products" and correctly concluding that the answer is "absolutely nothing, if they feel like it."

At that point they wouldn't bother licensing. Because it would require hiring specific writers to write specific stuff, in which case they might as well not license it out to Onyx Path in the first place. But White Wolf Entertainment is clearly trying to focus on White Wolf stuff, the old World of Darkness. Making Chronicles stuff more like it would be detrimental to their overall goal, getting the World of Darkness as popular as it was in the 90s, except take advantage of the opportunities no one was sure would pan out or would be available in the 90s.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Lord_Hambrose posted:

All this ghost chat has got me really excited about Wraith again.

Me too. Apparently Rose's been working with the guy and it looks like things are moving faster.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

ZeroCount posted:

Geists are ghosts but it's wod so events must transpire so that they look exactly like normal people the majority of the time. Just like how Beasts totally have a soul of a kraken or whatever but are actually just a dude.

Geist takes cues from the more lighthearted end of things, like the Frighteners. Geists don't have to look like normal people, some of the example ones are pretty freaky, but Sin-Eaters basically are normal humans, they just share their soul with a ghost. I always got pushback for saying so but it's like first edition werewolf but with ghosts instead of spirits.

quote:

Dregs’ geist is something he calls the Ravenous Storm, a personification of constantly moving, bitterly cold and ever-hungry wind. It appears as a translucent figure with a great, gaping maw and is always accompanied by inexplicably bitter gusts of wind. Ravenous Storm is easily half-again as tall as a mortal man, nearly two-dimensional, and covered in a tattered shroud that whips and snaps with each icy gust.

And yeah, Terrorforge, the Beast thing being subtle is still in.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Xinder posted:

Yeah this was the thing that bothers me about them. They just have their own subset of "demon" that uses the same name but appears independent of anything else, even Inferno tbh.

It's not its own subset, they use a broader definition because the Lucifuge would be a one trick pony if their powers only worked against a specific rare kind of supernatural that might not be in every game.

For what it's worth it's pretty clear they're meant to be Inferno-descended, the Inferno book even mentions them and has the 'bad seeds' that don't fall in with the Lucifuge. It just questions the motives of the Lucifuge, the leader of the conspiracy.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

So, in short, if a Mage were to decide that he wanted to reveal magic to the world by creating a giant illusory dragon in the middle of the Superbowl, it:

1. would call down an alien monster from not-existence to cause problems

Paradox has improved greatly but it's not that bad. You'd get +1 Paradox Die with an 8-again. You could spend a point of Mana or just use your dedicated magic tool and knock it down to a chance die, and even if it succeeded it would only undo or add a Reach to the spell you cast. To get a nasty Paradox experience you need to have high Gnosis and use excess Reach. Just witnesses isn't going to cut it.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
@Yawgmoth I missed that, much better but still on just +1 it's not much. You really want to lure higher Gnosis mages into extending their Reach, thats when you get the big dicepools.

bewilderment posted:

I forget if it's been mentioned but also Mages use 'High Magic' (or at least they claim to) but there's a bunch of other magics for Hunters to fight out in the world. Vampires have their blood sorcery, there's sekhem magic, alchemy, stuff written in eldritch tomes, etc.

This is one of the weird bits about crossover with hunters. The common result, rather than amnesia, is 'self-editing the memories to remove Supernal and Abyssal influence' does that mean a hunter would be able to self-edit their memories, deleting Supernal magic and replacing it with something they, as hunters, are familiar with like vampiric blood sorcery or non-mage witch hexes?

Even if they could it would be a bad idea. Mortals aren't the paper cutouts they were in World of Darkness but the Chronicles monsters still have a lot of ways to tear through them. I wouldn't think a cell of Lucifuge could take on a mage just because they're Sleepwalkers.

A pack of ghouls I could see pulling it off, providing they had a variety of Disciplines available, knew what they were getting into, and the mage wasn't a mountain-mover.

nofather fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 25, 2017

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Hostile V posted:

You gotta remember that the vast majority of the CofD are put out there with the explicit statement of "crossovers don't work and should be avoided", especially when it comes to Hunter which is why there are three books dedicated to "how to make and use a Vampire/Werewolf/Mage enemy that fits this line".

More like only when it comes to Hunter. And even then it's just because it would be a poor line if the one about hunting supernaturals required you to buy the other supernatural books to play, and the antagonist section was just a full page ad for them.

They weren't designed for it, but there's very little that says they don't work or even should be avoided.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't even like the mechanics of Quiescence / Paradox just within the context of Mage by itself.

I like it, but it is really easy to get rid of if you want. Just have a hard limit on Reach, or have excessive Reach offer a more substantial penalty.

Of course then you have no reason not to create an illusory dragon at the superbowl and enslave humanity.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I think it's because of the abyssal shard in the soul of humanity that doesn't react well to the Supernal (as evidenced by things like Paradox wrecking Supernal entities).

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Unfortunately also they tend to let the Lancea et Sanctum do the record keeping and historical research. And that group is known to erase things from history that don't coincide with or reinforce their beliefs.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Join me in eternal disappointment over not getting Devil in the White City Requiem last time around (two polls, both times beaten by less interesting eras like Werewolf Vikings).

Werewolf Vikings was great.

But before you start the pity party remember that there's two pledges that allow people to bring back dark eras that were voted on but didn't win. So far this is the only stretch goal vote that has eras that might not win. So it's entirely possible all three are going to get in.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I figured he just didn't want to be nagged about it anymore so just went along with it.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

crime fighting hog posted:

Quick, dumb question about Hunter: Is there a version of Ashwood Abbey that's for white trash? A Union off-shoot?

If you want drunken yokels throwing cans of Bud at monsters before whooping and hollering and shooting off a bunch of shotguns, you want the Union. Though there's less raucous members too.

The idea of a private club for white trash seems contradictory. Maybe some sort of Walmart Red Club Membership? Or do you mean they do it for fun? Because the Union has its share of folks just in it for the adrenaline.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
The Ashwood Abbey party in my Hunter game.

Russian Mafiya heiress. Father attempted to move into the city by sending trusted lieutenant, character's uncle, only to have him returned in a box as a bloodthirsty revenant. Since the vampires were backing local crime organizations, she decided to get rid of the vampires. The Ashwood Abbey was a way to do that.
Businessman in way over his head. Tried to live a normal life, wife and kids, kept getting promoted, getting rich. Figured he was going to retire early and spend the rest of his life with his family. Company head didn't want him leaving, had him relocated to Miami (our city of choice) where, separate from his family, was lured into a late night party that went way out of control. Boss let it slip they knew exactly what happened and if he didn't stay on and keep making the company money everyone else would know too. He quickly got a Vitae addiction that hounded him throughout the game. I think this one was taken right from the book.
A Paris Hilton expy who was sent away from most of her riches and money to learn some subtlety. The guy who ran the Abbey chapter kept his thumb on her social life and could with a word make sure she was cut off for good but she was entertained by all the bloodthirsty stuff. Had a dog in a purse.
The most 'rapey' guy I guess (though it never came up in game). He was a former boy band star (like two decades ago) who after going broke underwent a vision quest and became a sort of new age guru for the stars. He wanted to gently caress a god, or God, I forget which, but 'massively powerful spirit,' which would be the rapey bit if he could pull it off.

They popped up again in recent vampire game (for same players). Mafia heiress was a high ranking ghoul for the Sangiovanni, Hilton girl was a blood doll, the guru was an altar for the Circle of the Crone. The businessman was one of the bull people (his character had played up a weird interest in the sun that I turned into being brought into the bullpeople hood by a helion) and kept an area protected but killed any vampires that got close.

Of course I've heard a lot worse, and ran a lot worse as NPCs.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Xinder posted:

In today's Hunter game: Network Zero played their hand and scared the party's CO into moving to a new safehouse. During which move they are shot at by uniformed police officers, whom he implores the party to shoot back at and assures them "they're ghouls". The party believed him, or at least didn't care.

Is this a Task Force Valkyrie game?

Does Network Zero know the CO's a vampire, or are they just after the hunters?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Xinder posted:

It's TFV, yeah. I haven't decided yet how much N0 actually knows, I've been drip-feeding the players so they haven't actually seen the "leak" themselves yet.

Hah, that's great. I did the vampire thing too with it. Except the vampire wasn't the CO, a ghoul was, and he was more of an obnoxious desk jockey who was trying to, at the behest of his regnant, get them shut down. It was the same group that played the Abbey characters. There were five of them and four died during a nasty mission. They decided they wanted something more 'fun' and went with Abbey, then spent a lot of time trying to recruit the fifth, who was a hunter without a cell when the area's TFV got shut down.

I've had a hard time getting the larger groups to go after certain plothooks, so I've gone after more of the shotgun approach knowing they'll follow at least one of them. They still manage to surprise me at times, giving them options 1-5 they manage to follow path A.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

I think the inherent problem is every Servant fits better in Scion

Not really. In Mage they'd be Goetia. Or you could even go straight up and make them ghosts. There's a legacy devoted to taking the artifacts and powers of legendary characters in Summoners, having them actually summon the ghosts would be a nice update for second edition. But Goetia fits better. They're the memory of a legendary person. If you wanted to go farther you could make them Aeons, who are already represented by things like Mordred and Lilith and Azazel, Set and the three Furies.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
The Science Fiction one sounds cool, like it will focus more on the general world's understanding (and lack of understanding) of science. Seems like it would fit with Free council stuff, Prometheans with people making robots in their basements, Deviants with government testing, booms in the Ordo Dracul and Iron Masters.

Ireland might be neat, they do have wicked myth cycle, but based on the description it seems more like it's focusing on when Christianity is large and in charge, so the myths might not matter. It might be cool because we already have a Viking time and we'd see some of what its like being on the other side of the Viking raid.

I'm voting for Mali, if only because I need to keep up my streak of voting for the one that comes last. But the farther you get away from America and the English speaking world and modern times the more I prefer it. Not because of a lack of interest in America but because these times are taught about in high school and college and we're exposed to them and similar settings near constantly in media. The games are practically built around these areas and its nice to see something exploring other regions.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
That sucker's rolling a dicepool of 21 for Blast.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Now all the Hasbro properties are in one universe and it's really bad and dumb

Some people like it. I'm reserving any opinion until Cobra Commander gets the band back together, cause I don't know poo poo about Micronauts and my memory of MASK is hazy at best.

In the interest of keeping up nitpicking, Jem is in its own universe. This has actually caused some protests from the fandom.

It will probably be like the Chicago book, with the connections. The idea made me think of Three Shades of Night, which actually had vampires, werewolves and mages freaking out about a trio of supernatural plague/curses that may have been different aspects of the same thing.

nofather fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Well, urban fantasy novels do practically take their setting from games like this. But it's just some sort of magical hammer (which is probably one of those giant hammers that isn't associated with the divine) being wielded by some warrioress getting ready to fight the Nemean lion. Where's the real Scion?