Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

*drudges up boilerplate explanation, including pictures and links, with a deep and withering sigh*
Well you see it.. oh, wait.

I'm reading the FATAL and Friends as we speak. I had avoided Beast, based on the fact that... well, I just didn't care very much. So I didn't see the drama nor the book itself, aside from flipping through it enough to conclude I couldn't play Godzilla and thus I still didn't care very much.

But oh my. It had such sights to show me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Note that since I did those reviews it has come to light that McFarland basically admitted to raping one of his students several years ago.

Yeah.

I'd heard. It struck me as I was reading, that this is a game built around Hungers that one either needs to starve or gorge. There's not enough yikes in the world.

It even gets weirder when I go back and consider his older WW work. Like, Animal Attraction for Garou was always uncomfortable, right? You've got the revenge power fantasy, sure, but also the ability to make whomever you want really want to bone you right then and there. And McFarland goes and writes the wereshark book - which I will cop to liking, at least at the time as I haven't read it in ages - which not only have said... ability? Power? Anyway, once a wereshark goes on dry land they are constantly horny. Like, it is a divine need to breed with things that walk on two legs.

He also wrote the only in-game fiction example of Animal Attraction I can think of off the top of my head, for the Changing Breeds 'foe" book for HtR. This girl, who is one of the iconic character's girlfriends, goes out on a hiking trip with a guide who turns out to be a... werecougar? Probably, let's go with that. Anyway, he roofies her with it and her description of it was like the kind of sex she used to have with her ex, that it was rough and pure. She seemed fine with it.

Did they do away with that in Forsaken? That would be nice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Basic Chunnel posted:

Bundle of Holding has a deal on nWoD core and various supplements going on - https://bundleofholding.com/presents/ChronDarkness

Huh. Is one of those books a... chronicle version of Assault of Precinct 13?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

I can't believe we've gotten this far without mentioning Mummy, which also insists on using endless numbers of foreign words.

I tried to read it, once. My eyes glazed over. I'm not even trying to be sarcastic. It just didn't make any kind of impression on me and I'm not even sure what Mummy adds to the nWoD.

These things can take a while for me. Like it took that one guy's MtAw write-ups on RPG.net to get Awakening, so I'm open to it, just the initial impression was not exactly strong.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

unseenlibrarian posted:

Scion gets talked about here, yeah. Rattus summarizes stuff from the backer previews from time to time and there's usually a small flurry of discussion each time. Last word was that Scion: Origin is almost done and would be out in preview draft form to backers soon, I think. How soon soon is is open to question, though.

That's still my understanding as well.

I do like that the pantheon descriptions aren't quite so... well... first edition. Like I now feel mostly safe in hoping that Artemis is a goddess of the hunt and not of sexy lesbians.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 10, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yup. It was early. Athena, if I remember right, was vaguely close to the original (although I'm pretty sure they reminded you how voluptuous she was).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

There's also Chosen (someone got picked to get a portion of a god's powers) and Created (someone made you out of clay or wood or something)

I'm beyond hyped for Scion 2e and keep compulsively checking my email for the text release

Chosen seem like a nice way around the tedious 'you're actually the Scion of another god but the god who LIKES you can't/won't breed' that came up.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 10, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

If anything it's more progressive than before instead of less. Neall talked a bit about wanting to make the most prominent trans character in Vampire less awful, so Sascha Vykos is now "they" instead of "it" and has given up on tentacles-for-tentacles-sake.

This leads to a mildly funny scene after the (mostly off-camera) bit where Sascha, having failed to give birth to their inhuman progenitor who was lurking inside their body since Dark Ages: Vampire, has adopted a more human shape, and Beckett is basically "so does this mean you're a dude now" and Sascha is basically "what? No. God, no. That was one thing and this is another; Beckett is an idiot."

Huh. You know, I never thought of Vykos as trans? They were just... Vykos.

It'd be funny to get Lambach's reaction to their little hobby.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Oh man the NOLA Masquerade was miserable. Telling women and minorities that being treated like poo poo is the price of admission for a period game was stupid. Not shutting down the crowd when they started barking "you don't earn 70% of your resource dots" was even worse.

I can't say I'm officially surprised that he doubled down on the 'racism and misogyny makes it AUTHENTIC~!' that gets peddled. Mostly my reaction to nuWW can be summed up by a .gif of Charlie Brown sighing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

All that I know about nuWW is from reading this thread, or it being mentioned very occasionally on Ask Ken and Robin.

It's somewhat disappointing to me that Hite is apparently good buddies with... well, why bring his name up in polite company.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mendrian posted:

WotC is doing an okay job with D&D. Not with the actual game, of course, but the supplemental materials (minis, boardgames, tie-ins, coloring books, etc) have actually been marketed pretty well. But your point still stands, yeah.

I suddenly wonder what a Critical Role equivalent for White Wolf would do for the brand. Obviously this hypothetical is for the group to have a not-awful interpretation of whatever game they're playing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So what're the new setting elements Swedracula is adding to the game, which I was given to understand come out of his home LARP? I'm told that the Sabbat and others have wandered "East" to fight in the "Gehenna Wars?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I liked the year where every story was Unicorn Guy does a thing, but the Ratlings helped! (because they had no explanation how barbaric animal dudes winning every tournament could make sense in 80 percent of stories)

Don't forget kneecapping a clan's story because that clan had momentum and thus the majority didn't like that a clan that wasn't theirs having momentum. Or a tournament winner who was just bandwagoning with the hot power deck voting for something to screw over the clan he was playing as.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not directed at me, but helpful nonetheless. Thanks!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Yup

It sadly does not have a chapter devoted to Black Dog Games. It does however have some deeeeeep cuts against CCP's mismanagement and EVE Online.

I can still find people dreadfully upset about that chapter even today, and think to myself many of them would probably long for the days when White Wolf could poke fun at itself now.

That said my favorite jab was with Apex Games and their trio of games 'Undead Cowboy,' 'Radioactive Undead Cowboy,' and 'Radioactive Undead Cowboy in Space.' (That probably just turned into an extended sourcebook.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kavak posted:

I thought Wraith was supposed to be the most depressing oWoD game.

At least if it makes you angry, you're probably in the right headspace for Werewolf.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Specifically, vampires no longer have souls unless they have undergone Golconda. Which means any vampire Wraiths have obviously achieved Golconda.

That still feels like a bizarrely arbitrary decision on nuWW's part. Are they trying to make Golconda a win condition?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doc Aquatic posted:

The developer has talked about monotheism being, in part, a useful way for some pantheons to undermine other pantheons, but he's also said he won't leave the Abrahamic religions in the lurch. We might need to wait until later books to see the in-setting status of Yahweh and whether he has scions or anything (Past, you know, the one.)

Backdoor relaunch of In Nomine coming!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

unseenlibrarian posted:

I like the reveal that apparently the gods just sometimes set up a fake mortal town and raise their scions in it to get them ready to go real earth. Mostly because it makes me want to do a game where everyone has that origin and then have them slowly figure it out in character.

Now I'm going to have to set that stuff in high school and call it Class of the Titans, aren't I?

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 28, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's sad that a big step in 2E's right direction was not basing everything around the adventures of a handful of pregens. Admittedly I'm kinda curious as to how functional those characters are from a mechanics perspective, although even as I type that I know it boils down to how many dots of Epic Dexterity they have.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

o hai Leif Jones. Your stuff looks weird colored.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

So what do I get if they replace the "O" in acension with a pentacle?

An increasing sense of melancholy?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Well, there are methods that do work on Garou, and the nation is decidedly against them. And apparently all garou subconciously want their children so most of the time they'll frenzy during the abortion proceedings. Also apparently the womb in a pregnant Crinos Garou draws up into their ribcage to better protect the fetus in combat.

Have they... have they heard of the Black Furies or... oh, nevermind.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

One of the few things we've heard about W5 so far is that the black furies have apparently abandoned mankind to their own devices until they become sufficiently woke to withstand the feminist truth.

I'm almost morbidly curious if they'll go hard back on the Catholic Church/Patriarch-as-Wyrm spirit/totem/whatever.*

*Thanks, Phil!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

To my knowledge they at least either came in too late to touch the core books of the 20th Anniversary lines or didn't ask for many changes... except for Wraith, which has now gone back and forth between OPP and NuWW because they wanted some tweaks applied, especially to the Orpheus chapter. :(

Seldom have I experience the dizzying heights and lowest of lows so quickly. "Oh, man! An Orpheus chapter! Overseen by NuWW..." I think I have some feelings to eat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

On the one hand, if Wraith20 proceeds from the premise that the Underworld was NOT sandblasted to nothingness by a nuke, and thus is a setting to play in, it makes sense they'd want to hold pretty tight on the setting predicated upon "ok this is after that."

On the other hand, this is nuWW so it's entirely possible they'll say that black people only have like, 3/5 of a ghost or something.

I think the best case scenario is that something like 'Orpheus is NOT CANON and your games DON'T count, but go ahead and have a good time!'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cptn_dr posted:

That doesn't sound like nuWW at all

Good catch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr. Poz posted:

I'm just getting around to reading Beckett's Jyhad Diary and the section on the 4th Sabbat Civil War has this passage:

Granted it's been a while, but I thought this was a result of Tremere /Goratrix /Saulout wrasslin' match?

As far as I can recall, yeah - Saulot kicks out Tremere of his (?) body who then kicks out Goratrix of his bodies and the antitribu got wiped out in the process. Goratrix, I think, was shoved into a mirror or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr. Poz posted:

Once Tremere was back in control of a body they then did ritual to wipe out the Tremere antitribu, right? So what's all this about Ur-Shulgi doing it? I know he threw off the blood curse, but the bit from the diary suggests Ur-Shulgi had a direct hand in destroying the Tremere antitribu.

Which is weird because I don't think it cared much about Tremere as a clan beyond breaking the Blood Curse (which it did by going, "Eh, whatever"). It's a little too ancient and busy prepping for Haqim coming back (or making sure everybody's going to worship it in Haqim's place, same thing) for a grudge. Or at least that grudge.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The Avatar Storm was from the Technocracy killing Ravnos. It's another thing that's alluded to in the main book but not detailed until later. WW was pretty set on ending what they saw as a boring avenue for Mage as a game.

Yeah, the underworld nukes are something even I'm not clear on. I know Stygia used one on Enoch, but I was never sure where the other one came from.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

At some point, apparently, Voormas, a mage whose job title was "Grand Harvester of Souls," which honestly tells you everything you need to know about his stance on the whole "no sense of right or wrong" thing, put a curse on the whole concept of necromancy so that sooner or later every group of necromancers would eventually get around to trying to tear down the boundaries between life and death.

It was still so odd to me to see a random NPC from a not-great book become the world-breaker in Mage. Of course the same thing happened with Zhyzhak in Werewolf, now that I think about it. Both of them in the 'collections of places the splat hangs out at' books too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

I hate Zhyzhak is a walking stereotype. BDSM Werewolf Queen who dresses in straps and has a whip that inflicts all of the pain and is also the chosen of the evil god of war? And she's destined to kill Albrecht because sure.

Don't forget ALWAYS SHOUTING.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Slimnoid posted:

I'd rather drop the turbofuck M80 onto something that deserves it. Like wherever the gently caress KotE came from.

As crappy as KotE was, Howl of the Devil-Tiger was an awesome splatbook.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

It's largely fine, a few minor quibbles regarding timeline etcetera but nothing leapt out as me a whole 'drat you dracula!' thing. It's almost disappointingly minimalist in its take on Stygia-Orpheus relations though.

Dumb question - is that Orpheus as in Orphic Circle or Orpheus as in semi-beloved WW take on Ghostbusters?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Well, I mean, they have caracatures of all the various White Wolf line devs, but the ones for him and MRH are relatively scathing portrayals.

Yeah. Ethan Skemp's analogue of being a cannibalistic hillbilly is tame in comparison to Brucato's.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Five Eyes posted:

I'd vote Revised. While the Revised core has some (well, many) issues, the format for the splat descriptions is the one I'd consider the most valuable, and Revised has the most broad takes on each of the factions, and the splatbooks are for the most part pretty solid. The big hiccup here is that the Revised core won't really introduce you to the Technocratic conventions, so there may be some supplementary reading if that's a direction you want to go in.

For my money, there are a few excellent books for the Traditions in Revised, although that quality takes a super sharp nosedive the more the Revised splatbooks go on. Hope your favorite Trad came early in the alphabet!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

You say that as if a good take on the Dreamspeakers is possible.

There's exceptions to every rule.

Of course if the Rev splatbooks were graded on a curve, Verbena would tank it all to failing anyway. It's Revised Children of Gaia of the group.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Geist post on Mementos, now hopefully less confusing and broken than 1e.

Were Sin-Eaters that uber compared to the other splats? I never paid much attention but would sometimes hear something in that direction.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh yeah, I know. I've been a Wraith fan for a long time. I just want to talk about Wraith.

I do like how they adapted Orpheus, although to me it's an alternate version to the onriginal campaign instead of a replacement.

My favorite bit about the Skeletal Lord was that he insisted on every word he spoke to be written down as you never know when you might have a prohpecy in there somewhere. And given his purview was everybody in the West who died of disease (more or less) he was powerful enough that they had to be absolutely sure he wasn't paying attention when they made little 'cuckoo' noises behind his back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Foglet posted:

oWoD vampires are basically stated to be living souls stuck to dead bodies, so likely the effect would be similar to that on a human soul - the drug allows its user to project, while the soul gets (more) corrupted, and after the body dies a proper death, the spirit is guaranteed to remain as a Hue. Don't quote me on the guesswork, though, random cross-splat aspect interaction is a heck of a combinatorial explosion.

Amusingly I'm reminded that under Swedracula's regime only those vampires that have achieved Golconda have souls, so only they could technically get use out of Pigment.