Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
One time I made an Acanthus who majored in Fate and minored in Forces because he hustled pool and while the lucky shot is the best kind of shot sometimes you need to put a little extra English on the ball

Okay that's my story

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Soonmot posted:

I'd still love to get a vampire or werewolf game going here.

What about a vampwolf game?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Man, I hope Talecrafting 2.0 is as awesome as I wanted 1.0 to be. The mechanics in Swords at Dawn just left me flat.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Of course you should always make sure that the game you pitched to them is actually the game that you're running.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
TF:V is secretly headed up by OWOD Hunters who escaped to this dimension during whatever Armageddon finally hit the OWOD.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Mage, Promethean, or Hunter, you could build a whole campaign around this MacGuffin: Red Mercury

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Kurieg posted:

Holy gently caress.

quote:

“Your kind are fueled by the basic fears of humanity.” He drawled. “What do
you call it? ‘The Primordial Dream’? All the nightmares hidden beneath civilization,
culture, and story. Najat here,” the mage nodded to their hostess, “doesn’t
have a human soul. She’s got what some people call a Nahual instead.”
“I’m a cat,” Najat said.
“You’ve got an animal’s soul? Like I have my Horror?”
“Deep in the human soul,” explained Hal “there’s a barrier, a boundary between
humanity and the soul of the world, the animals, even the stars. Your
Primordial Dream clusters around that boundary like… like rock pools after the
tide’s gone out. The animal parts of the human race, where the monsters live.
What you’re sensing is that Najat lacks that boundary. She’s a daughter of nature,
in harmony with her animal nature. You’d find, if you tried, that your Nightmares
slide right off her. And that’s how we’re going to bait him into our trap.”
I just did a Ctrl+F for Nahual, I didn't actually think there would be anything :gonk:

NO

STOP

BAD

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I already can't play Vampire. My brain helpfully conjures up "they're the date rape splat!" and I can't make it past that.

I really really can't see myself playing Beast.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 29, 2016

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nah, I'm not the boss of F&F or anything like that.

Haven't saved up enough XP to buy the merit yet?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
You'd think the Project would make Loomer Awaken.

You'd be wrong though. He's become an OWoDomancer Adept, oddly enough.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I dare someone to run a Requiem game with this article's conclusions in force:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/heres-how-long-it-would-take-for-vampires-to-annihilate-humanity

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I still love how in OWOD, Ottawa - the capital of the goddamn country and seat of government - is a piddly nothing city with a dying Camarilla group that's completely overshadowed by the sexy Sabbat of Montréal, who actually run everything.

...Wait, I didn't mean "love". The other thing. I meant the other thing.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Yawgmoth posted:

My home area got a RIFTS book, of all the places. Seeing the words "Ishpeming Republic" is just so loving :psypop: to me. Firefox doesn't even think the city's name is a word!

Don't get me started on RIFTS Ottawa. It's a reclaimed wilderness with some bandits probably.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
He did do the nasty in the past-y!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
For this next round of MageChat, let's talk about what happens to a mage when they're caught completely unawares by a werewolf.

Forsaken or Pure, your choice

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's terrible french dammit! :argh:

(a literal translation isn't really possible because rage isn't a verb in french, you'd have to go with something like Quand serez vous enragés? which sounds a bit awkward)

Edit: I just remembered the old french translation of Vampire: the Masquerade had the disciplines change names between books.

Quand enragerez-vous?, maybe?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

MonsieurChoc posted:

That sounds really awkward and translated to When will you enrage which make werewolves sound like internet trolls.

Oh, I admit it's incredibly awkward, but so's the question in English.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Has anyone started alerting nerd media sites about this?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Cabbit posted:

I really like Atomic Robo but holy poo poo is this ever true.

(I still want to see them team up.)

(Yes I know Hellboy is dead. So what.)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Anyway I sent out messages to The Mary Sue and Kotaku, any other places I should hit?

quote:

Subject: White Wolf's Questionable Decisions Lead To Loss of Writer/Designer

Hi everyone,
There's a developing story occurring in the RPG/tabletop world. White Wolf has proceeded to make two very questionable decisions, which have led to the loss of one of their best writers/designers.

Issue 1: White Wolf hires racist/misogynist/transmisogynist writer Zak S. to write a text adventure game for them. Here's a screenshot so you can see what we're dealing with right off:

https://i.imgur.com/Heyshsw.jpg

Here's some background on Zak S:

http://failforward.co.uk/post/93348768153/how-dungeons-and-dragons-is-endorsing-the-darkest
https://storify.com/AndriErlingsson/zak-s-runs-a-secret-harassment-group-online
http://ettinjiggywithit.tumblr.com/post/106855388993/that-time-zak-smith-ran-a-harassment-blog
https://shawnstruck.blogspot.ca/2015/01/zak-s-roll-for-harassment_5.html

Issue 2: White Wolf reprinted a book of fiction ("Dark Destiny") from the 90's, including work by a convicted pedophile - Ed Kramer. The reprint rights did not force them to reprint his work, nor did it force them to leave Kramer's name prominently on the cover.

So who's going to be leaving because of this? David Hill, of Onyx Path Publishing (they have an odd relationship with White Wolf that would take a while to explain, but the two companies are enmeshed in each other). He developed Changeling: The Lost's 2nd Edition and most of the new combat rules. He's already being attacked by Zak S's followers:

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/832247968090640384

This is just what I was able to dig up to begin with! I'm sure you folks have better contacts!

Thanks kindly,
JohnnyCanuck

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 17, 2017

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's outside of Polygon's wheelhouse but they had a lot of interest in the WoD MMO and Ben Kuchera is a big fan of WoD. They're also generally good about gaming communities not being flaming assholes.

Edit: Just to correct one thing, Zak S. did not write the mage game, just the vampire one.

Done!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I've made some edits to professionalize it, but if anyone has a screenshot of Zak's writing for the Vamp game, I'd sure appreciate it!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

hangedman1984 posted:

Has Kramer actually been convicted yet? I thought he was still stalling the trial by claiming "medical issues".

He finally pled guilty, in a plea bargain deal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_E._Kramer#Child_Sex_Offense_arrests_and_convictions

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Obligatum VII posted:

Late to the party, but my favored interpretation of Cheiron is that the board is absolutely a bunch of lovecraftian gribblies, but they're actually well intentioned refugees from some other place where something bad went down. However, their decision to start up a company as a cover, because it seemed like a good idea at the time, has kind of gotten away from them. They actually have very little control over the company due to the bureaucratic mess that the company has become. All the really evil poo poo that Cheiron does in 100% normal humans, who have basically usurped control of the company from the Cthulus that supposedly run it.

Honestly, I always read this as the survivors of the OWoD End Times come to the NWoD to try and make sure it doesn't all happen again...

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Aaaaand David Hill's Twitter account got mysteriously suspended.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Sion posted:

Did it? I literally just sent him a tweet...

I get "Account Suspended" when I click this, it's in his RPG.net sig:

http://twitter.com/davidahilljr

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Never don't LARP as Carl Brutananadilewski.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
The Tzimisce were supposed to be Brian Lumley-style Wamphiri, right?

Except they sucked at doing the real nutty stuff Lumley's nasties excelled at.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Vampires-as-metaphor for rape and molestation already meant I wouldn't play Masquerade or Requiem. That's a me thing, and I don't begrudge anybody who enjoyed playing them, especially because everybody I know who played handwaved feeding scenes.

But now that it's not subtext, it's actual real over-the-top text? Oh hell no.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
In case anyone isn't in the USA and wants to see the Sexy Vampires bit:

https://vimeo.com/174491955

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Is Talecrafting part of the core rules this time around, and not stupid punishing to use?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

unseenlibrarian posted:

I once played a Tremere who was trying to answer that first question in order to breed a line of revenant rosebushes. Sadly the ST was not interested in actually answering my questions about that line of research.

Nothing weird happens to cars unless it's a Turbo Teen. If it's a Turbo Teen, it may just die, but there's a chance it'll become that rarest of monsters the Carbombination.

Dave, please list Turbo Teen as an inspiration source for Deviant.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

unseenlibrarian posted:

And of course, if a vampire embraces a werewolf transformed via Iron Soul, they become that rarest of all monsters, the Carbomination.

I just wanted to let you know that I saw this.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I liked the Lumley Necroscope/Wamphiri books! They're pure pulp and so goddamn over the top.

Also I was a teenager when I read them.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Speaking of CtL: has anyone ever fixed Talecrafting? Or at least ported it to 2e?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I just wanted to make a Fate/Forces pool shark, who, when he can't get by on luck, gives the balls an imperceptible nudge to make 'em do what he wants.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Which brings me back to my earlier question:

The 1E Swords At Dawn book introduced something called "Talecrafting" - it's an ability where a Changeling can force the universe to regard them as a character in a story, and so be subject to classic story conventions. It basically introduces PbtA-style elements to C:tL, and it's a great idea, just lousily executed. It's super hard to invoke, becomes addictive, and the mechanical benefits usually aren't great.

Has it been updated for 2E yet? If not, has anyone made it actually fun and interesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
During the Super Blood Wolf Moon we should have nothing but Wolfchat.