Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OfU7CGY5DQ

They just released this teaser so, yeah.

All thats known is that 1. it's set in southern California instead of southern Louisiana 2. it starts airing on June 21st, 2015. 3. nic pissoloto really likes highways and refineries

Kumo posted:

Here is some more information about Season 2 of True Detective. I don't believe character names are spoiler worthy, but I don't post here often, so I'll redact the rest.

Colin Farrell will play detective Ray Velcoro.
Vince Vaughn is playing criminal Frank Semyon, a “career criminal [who's] in danger of losing his empire when his move into legitimate enterprise is upended by the murder of a business partner.”
Rachel McAdams is detective Ani Bezzerides.
Taylor Kitsch is war vet and motorcycle highway patrol officer Paul Woodrugh.

Apparently it will involve "the secret occult history of the United States transportation system." according to Nic Pizzolatto

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I am hyped, going to buy the Season 1 blurays today and binge again.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Things I learned from that teaser: all of the characters have faces

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Henchman of Santa posted:

Things I learned from that teaser: all of the characters have faces

One has a cheese-stache.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That aerial shot alone got me pumped as gently caress for S2.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Cary Fukunaga isn't directing season 2 so I hope they've got someone good for it

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Here is some more information about Season 2 of True Detective. I don't believe character names are spoiler worthy, but I don't post here often, so I'll redact the rest.

Colin Farrell will play detective Ray Velcoro.
Vince Vaughn is playing criminal Frank Semyon, a “career criminal [who's] in danger of losing his empire when his move into legitimate enterprise is upended by the murder of a business partner.”
Rachel McAdams is detective Ani Bezzerides.
Taylor Kitsch is war vet and motorcycle highway patrol officer Paul Woodrugh.

Apparently it will involve "the secret occult history of the United States transportation system." according to Nic Pizzolatto

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i really hope they get t bone burnett back, but judging from the teaser he's at least back in spirit

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Pretty psyched for this. A lot of people hate on Farrell but I've always liked him. He's looking so used up in this, can't wait.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Kumo posted:

This is actually what gives me the most hope for season 2. I would probably watch it, and maybe even still enjoy it, if it were just a straightforward crime drama, but it's the gothic elements (a gothic perspective on crime?) that elevate True Detective from good to great in my mind. That's what was missing from the trailer, I think.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Kumo posted:

So will it have that airport... I think the Denver one, is it?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Missed the train on season one and binged it in a day. Fingers crossed that this is good too!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

suztan posted:

This is actually what gives me the most hope for season 2. I would probably watch it, and maybe even still enjoy it, if it were just a straightforward crime drama, but it's the gothic elements (a gothic perspective on crime?) that elevate True Detective from good to great in my mind. That's what was missing from the trailer, I think.

Yeah, the full trailer will probably have more of those elements.

Here is the full trailer for season 1 just for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXwCoNwBSkQ

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blue Raider posted:

i really hope they get t bone burnett back, but judging from the teaser he's at least back in spirit

Yeah. What song is that?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Super hyped but moderately skeptical that with a totally different crew they can make a season as fantastic as the first.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Same here. McConaughey and Harrelson, with Fukunaga directing was such a dynamite combo.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

All I need to already know and love that character is in the mustache.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't see how they can top s1 director. Jane Eyre was great. At lease I look forward to it more than Fargo.

Rachel McAdam better don't gently caress it up with her vanilla acting.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I think that it was kind of the perfect mix that I just honestly don't see them replicating at all.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I didn't really read any posts in here because I was afraid of spoiling anything, but I'm 6 or so episodes into this show and it is very much my poo poo. I'm digging it. An episode every other day is a great thing.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Yeah that teaser is basically just "season 2 exists" and "Colin Farrell looks real haggard and punches someone with brass knuckles."

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Jose posted:

Cary Fukunaga isn't directing season 2 so I hope they've got someone good for it

The two directors' names I've heard so far are Justin Lin and William Friedkin which is fine by me.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Loved season 1, but it didn't really stay with me like I thought it would. The fact that Fargo came along so soon after didn't really help. Still looking forward to this very much though.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

Periodiko posted:

Yeah that teaser is basically just "season 2 exists" and "Colin Farrell looks real haggard and punches someone with brass knuckles."

Most importantly, it says the photography is still some of the best around.

Looking at Vaughn's first shot in this trailer finally gives me hope it'll look and feel great like season one, regardless of who's directing.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Yeah. What song is that?

this is as much progress as I can make re: that song. it seems to be an unreleased track

http://www.bustle.com/articles/75248-what-song-is-in-the-true-detective-season-2-trailer-the-haunting-tune-is-perfect-for

White Rabbit posted:

Most importantly, it says the photography is still some of the best around.

Looking at Vaughn's first shot in this trailer finally gives me hope it'll look and feel great like season one, regardless of who's directing.

no poo poo, there's more acting in that one grimace from vaughn than in the last decade of bro movies

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Apparently the occult stuff is out, which sucks because I was one of the ones that really liked the Lovecraft atmosphere and hints from the first season.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Professor Shark posted:

Apparently the occult stuff is out, which sucks because I was one of the ones that really liked the Lovecraft atmosphere and hints from the first season.

The news that they'd cast Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn didn't make me blink, but that just killed my interest in watching Season 2. :sigh:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Umbra Dubium posted:

The news that they'd cast Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn didn't make me blink, but that just killed my interest in watching Season 2. :sigh:

poo poo can get really dark and disturbing without being about the occult though. I think it's a good think they're not going to beat a dead horse in season 2. I'd rather have an intriguing creepy mystery than "oooooo an evil cult based on the legend of the werewolf is sacrificing people to improve the transit line!"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

OldTennisCourt posted:

poo poo can get really dark and disturbing without being about the occult though. I think it's a good think they're not going to beat a dead horse in season 2. I'd rather have an intriguing creepy mystery than "oooooo an evil cult based on the legend of the werewolf is sacrificing people to improve the transit line!"

I hope them removing the fantasy elements doesn't preclude them from using the dark and depraved elements of conspiracy at whatnot.

We'll see. They've got an uphill battle, unfortunately, what with how amazing the first season was.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess the removal of the occult stuff wouldn't prevent the over arching sense of doom that accompanies Lovecraft fiction from being used.

I just don't want another straight cop show. The Cosmic Horror aspect is what made the first season stand out.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Professor Shark posted:

Considering that just about every aspect of the first season's supernatural stuff has been met with allegations of plagiarism I'm not surprised that he's unwilling (or unable) to return to that well again.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Have they said the actual date it's going to air yet? I've been checking the past couple of weeks and nothing.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Sleeveless posted:

Considering that just about every aspect of the first season's supernatural stuff has been met with allegations of plagiarism I'm not surprised that he's unwilling (or unable) to return to that well again.

How's that? I haven't read anything about the 1st season since it ended.

e: never mind, found it. Seems kinda shaky, Rust shares ideas and thoughts about life being meaningless that are similar to an author who's written about the subject? So what. Is Rust supposed to have completely new and original thoughts about a way of thought that's been around forever?

beanieson fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 10, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

June 21st iirc

Sleeveless posted:

I kid of stopped following this after the second allegation, were there more (and more specifically regarding the supernatural)?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Umbra Dubium posted:

Same.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

That article just made me a lot less excited about next season. They seem to be removing all the bits that made me really into season 1.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hangedman1984 posted:

That article just made me a lot less excited about next season. They seem to be removing all the bits that made me really into season 1.

But there WAS no supernatural element to season 1. Just a bunch of crazy rich dudes fuckin' young chicks, and crazy poor dudes kidnapping more chicks to gently caress. I mean, just because I have a Shamanism book on my bookshelf doesn't mean I'm a wizard if I put on a feathered headdress.

Literally everything bad and scary was just the deprivations of humanity and people finding sick nasty symbolism to help make it more fun. Raping girls, this is getting kinda old...well, how about doin' it while you're wearing this kickin' rad stag head and having your buddies standing around in a circle?!

I guess you could try to argue Rust's hallucinations were supernatural, but...eh.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 10, 2015

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Sleeveless posted:

What's funny to me is that whenever I saw an allegation of plagiarism with True Detective, it was about the "Lovecraftian" overtones in the show. Except that they weren't Lovecraftian, they were based directly upon The King in Yellow by Robert Chambers and boy-loving-howdy did Lovecraft (and then August Derleth) take from that well liberally.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I mean, yeah the occult stuff was interesting, but think about it, how do you do that again without just being a retread of season 1? The reason season 1 worked so well was the slow introduction of this idea of a deep dark cult underneath everything. Now that we know that card is on the table it'd be much much less interesting or shocking when it turns out the killer was some guy from a cult who worshiped a spider-demon or some poo poo.

I feel like if they had kept it in, halfway through the season we'd all be rolling our eyes going "THIS poo poo again?". That's the beauty of an anthology style series, you can try totally different story types and ideas while keeping to a central theme. Think about it, what's the title of the show? True Detective. All that implies is a mystery, which you could easily do and make very interesting without occult stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Drifter posted:

But there WAS no supernatural element to season 1. Just a bunch of crazy rich dudes fuckin' young chicks, and crazy poor dudes kidnapping more chicks to gently caress. I mean, just because I have a Shamanism book on my bookshelf doesn't mean I'm a wizard if I put on a feathered headdress.

Literally everything bad and scary was just the deprivations of humanity and people finding sick nasty symbolism to help make it more fun. Raping girls, this is getting kinda old...well, how about doin' it while you're wearing this kickin' rad stag head and having your buddies standing around in a circle?!

I guess you could try to argue Rust's hallucinations were supernatural, but...eh.

this is on point. the supernatural element of se1 was crap by intention. what people are mistaking for a supernatural influence is simply dread, the first season was full of dread to great effect. and dread isnt precipitated by spooks

• Locked thread