Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Guys I think I figured it out. The True Detective has been inside all of us this whole time!!

That or it's Vince Vaughn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Sorry for shameless self-promotion but I did make a Ballers thread if anyone's sticking around

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725714

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bright side of there being 8 episode seasons: it takes much less time to say the show would have been better off only getting one season

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Was...was that a bad episode?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Von Sloneker posted:

I don't know if I want to see any of these narratives pursued, explained, or resolved. I don't like any of these people.
Yeah, this is not off to an amazing start. It had a couple of awesome moments, but I'm not exactly rooting for any of these characters. Granted, it was just the first episode. But yeah, it seems like everything about this is loving miserable so far.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
that sucked

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Unlikeable, Drunk Detective

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
True Detectives: Emo Drunks with Family Problems in LA

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I am fully onboard Colin Farrell's train to gently caress You, Twelve Year Old'sville

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rabble posted:

Was...was that a bad episode?

I deemed it irredeemable the moment Mustache Cop started shooting Johnnie Walker Blue.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Pretty lovely story telling for a first episode because I still kind of have no idea what the gently caress is going on.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

So when do not-Sean Penn and woody show up?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I saw this coming with 4 protagonists instead of 2. 8 episodes will turn out to not be enough.

Love Colin Farrell's character though.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
You should savor that.

Let me try again
(Gulp)

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
off to a lovely start

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Did anyone see the skull with crown. There is more to this than it seems. Total White Rider vibe going on here. One of the four horsemen.

PieThief
Apr 9, 2009
Yer mother'sh a whore, Trebek!
Interested to see where this goes.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

It's going to make sense eventually but that was a tough start

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I need more clarity on the first Rachel McAdams scene. Was Steve trying to put it in the back door or what?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The Duggler posted:

It's going to make sense eventually but that was a tough start

That's what I felt with the first season before things kicked off with the Reggie LeDoux raid.

TheBizzness posted:

I need more clarity on the first Rachel McAdams scene. Was Steve trying to put it in the back door or what?

That, or he tried to come inside of her. Or he succeeded with the latter and shes like nope plan b that poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TheBizzness posted:

I actually thought she fingered him or something and he was like "nuh-uh... can we go again?" but gently caress if I can read the mood when everyone is being vague as poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Philthy posted:

Did anyone see the skull with crown. There is more to this than it seems. Total White Rider vibe going on here. One of the four horsemen.

Its a Mexican death icon, Santa Muerte.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I thought this was a pretty good episode and was able to follow everything pretty well. The characters seem to all be huge pieces of poo poo so far but I'm totally okay with that kind of narrative.

Drunk Assholes doing bad things and maybe solving a crime at the end. Im on board.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

al-azad posted:

I actually thought she fingered him or something and he was like "nuh-uh... can we go again?" but gently caress if I can read the mood when everyone is being vague as poo poo.

Yeah I took it as she wanted him to do something and he balked at the idea.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
The blind guy turning out to be the corpse that leads everyone together is interesting. I like how visually the opening credits are basically the same, but everything else is different. Overall I think I would give it a B, with lots of room to go up now that we have the link at the end.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Anya posted:

The blind guy turning out to be the corpse that leads everyone together is interesting. I like how visually the opening credits are basically the same, but everything else is different. Overall I think I would give it a B, with lots of room to go up now that we have the link at the end.

Wait was he blind? I figured it was a "You saw too much" message.

nopants
May 29, 2004
As a drunk cop I can say this episode portrayed the rough and tumble lifestyle of drunk cops accurately.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ghosthotel posted:

I thought this was a pretty good episode and was able to follow everything pretty well. The characters seem to all be huge pieces of poo poo so far but I'm totally okay with that kind of narrative.

Drunk Assholes doing bad things and maybe solving a crime at the end. Im on board.

Pretty much how I felt. I'm enjoying the narrative so far, and found all of the performances to be pretty good. Definitely feels like some kind of hybrid of season 1 and some of the later Fast and the Furious movies, considering Justin Lin directed this episode.

The only thing I'm kinda confused about is why the one hunky dude with the messed up shoulder was suspended. Had some interruptions while watching the episode, so I might have just missed a line of dialogue or two.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Ghosthotel posted:

I'm with you - drunk assholes (who also happen to hold authority) make for entertaining leads. I'm not sure why all the confusion either, it's the opening episode to the second season of a show that didn't make all that much sense initially other than they were going to solve a murder. Give it time.

Vince Vaughn is a gangster trying to turn good who wants to build a railroad and someone doesn't want him to build it.

Raxivace posted:

The only thing I'm kinda confused about is why the one hunky dude with the messed up shoulder was suspended. Had some interruptions while watching the episode, so I might have just missed a line of dialogue or two.

Supposedly he got a blowjob from the girl he pulled over. We don't know if it's true or not, but the chief seemed to believe he was innocent.

Edit: Or she accused him of soliciting one. Which sounds more accurate.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 22, 2015

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I think its his department's policy to have an officer suspended following an accusation such as the woman accusing him of soliciting a blowjob. Every department and agency have their own ways with dealing with such situations.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I wonder if they will go down the same route of the bad guy being some sort of crazy outcast or it'll be some mafioso guy.

High hopes

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Roman Reigns posted:

I think its his department's policy to have an officer suspended following an accusation such as the woman accusing him of soliciting a blowjob. Every department and agency have their own ways with dealing with such situations.

That plus it sounds like she was somewhat of a celebrity so that is why Riggins was really concerned about getting completely hosed.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

The Duggler posted:

I wonder if they will go down the same route of the bad guy being some sort of crazy outcast or it'll be some mafioso guy.

High hopes

Comon we all know all roads lead to cthulu

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The Duggler posted:

High hopes

Leaning towards the latter since the murder is a bit less ritualistic from the first season. Its sending a message to someone directly, and not just making a statement to the whole world. I think anyway.

nopants
May 29, 2004

blablablabla posted:

Comon we all know all roads lead to cthulu

Yeah the bad guy this season better be an elder god or at least a mongrel sailor of low intelligence.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is pretty much the same quality as S1. I think a lot of people are just butthurt that it turned out to not literally be the secret rape society headed by Marty H. Cop, or a lovecraftian diety.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
People complaining after episode 1 that they don't know what's going on?

Grumble, grumble...these characters seem like bad people?

Some of you are just silly.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

a lovecraftian diety.

What kind of god would create a meaningless world?

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
Much like season 1, the first episode sets the stage, and will most likely explode within the next coming episodes. Unfortunately, we won't have another Rust Cohle, we will have a series of lovely cops with emotional baggage, and David Morse as a Yogi cultist(?) and lousy father

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Episode was good and lol at the people complaining about not understanding what happened and not liking the characters after one episode. It's almost like you had your minds made up ahead of time!

• Locked thread